Generic Name: Pramlintide (PRAM lin tide)
Brand Name: SymlinPen 120, SymlinPen 60
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 10, 2020.
- The chance of very low blood sugar may be raised when taking SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide) with insulin, especially in people with type 1 diabetes. If very low blood sugar happens, it has happened within 3 hours after using SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide). Do not drive, use heavy machinery, or do other tasks or actions that could be unsafe until you know the effects of SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide) on your blood sugar. If very low blood sugar happens while you are doing any of these things, very bad injuries or death may happen. If you have questions, talk with your doctor.
Uses of SymlinPen 120:
- It is used to lower blood sugar in patients with high blood sugar (diabetes).
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take SymlinPen 120?
- If you are allergic to SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide); any part of SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have slow stomach clearing.
- If you cannot tell when your blood sugar is low.
- If you are taking acarbose, atropine, or any other drug that may affect how fast the GI (gastrointestinal) tract works. There are many drugs that can do this. Ask your doctor or pharmacist if you are not sure.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take SymlinPen 120?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Do not drive if your blood sugar has been low. There is a greater chance of you having a crash.
- Check your blood sugar as you have been told by your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you have had repeated low blood sugar or if you cannot feel or do not know the signs of very low blood sugar.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- It may be harder to control blood sugar during times of stress such as fever, infection, injury, or surgery. A change in physical activity, exercise, or diet may also affect blood sugar.
- Avoid drinking alcohol while taking SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide).
- Follow the diet and workout plan that your doctor told you about.
- Wear disease medical alert ID (identification).
- This medicine may prevent other drugs taken by mouth from getting into the body. If you take other drugs by mouth, you may need to take them at some other time than SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide). Talk with your doctor.
- Do not share pen or cartridge devices with another person even if the needle has been changed. Sharing these devices may pass infections from one person to another. This includes infections you may not know you have.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (SymlinPen 120) best taken?
Use SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot into the fatty part of the skin on the right or left side of the belly or thigh.
- If you will be giving yourself the shot, your doctor or nurse will teach you how to give the shot.
- Take right before a meal.
- Move the site where you give the shot with each shot.
- Throw away needles in a needle/sharp disposal box. Do not reuse needles or other items. When the box is full, follow all local rules for getting rid of it. Talk with a doctor or pharmacist if you have any questions.
- Give SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide) at some other site from where you gave your insulin if you are also getting insulin.
- Do not mix SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide) in the same syringe with insulin.
- Before giving the shot, let it come to room temperature. Do not heat SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide).
- Do not use if the solution is cloudy, leaking, or has particles.
- Do not use if solution changes color.
- Be sure you know what to do if you do not eat as much as normal or if you skip a meal.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- If you stop taking SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide), talk with your doctor. You may need to be restarted at a lower dose and raise the dose slowly.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Low blood sugar can happen. The chance may be raised when SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide) is used with other drugs for diabetes. Signs may be dizziness, headache, feeling sleepy or weak, shaking, fast heartbeat, confusion, hunger, or sweating. Call your doctor right away if you have any of these signs. Follow what you have been told to do for low blood sugar. This may include taking glucose tablets, liquid glucose, or some fruit juices.
What are some other side effects of SymlinPen 120?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Irritation or swelling where the shot was given.
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stomach pain.
- Not hungry.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out SymlinPen 120?
- Store unopened pens in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- Store opened pens at room temperature or in a refrigerator. Do not freeze.
- After opening, throw away any part not used after 30 days.
- Do not use if it has been frozen.
- Protect from heat and light.
- Take off the needle after each shot. Do not store this device with the needle on it.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- This medicine comes with an extra patient fact sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it with care. Read it again each time SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide) is refilled. If you have any questions about SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide), please talk with the doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about SymlinPen 120 (pramlintide)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- Drug class: amylin analogs