Generic Name: Lanreotide (lan REE oh tide)
Brand Name: Somatuline Depot
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 6, 2019.
Uses of Somatuline Depot:
- It is used to treat acromegaly.
- It is used to treat a certain type of cancer called neuroendocrine tumor from the gastrointestinal tract or the pancreas (GEP-NETs).
- It is used to treat carcinoid syndrome.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Somatuline Depot?
- If you have an allergy to lanreotide, somatostatin, or any other part of Somatuline Depot (lanreotide).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you are breast-feeding. Do not breast-feed while you take Somatuline Depot (lanreotide) or within 6 months after your last dose.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Somatuline Depot (lanreotide) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Somatuline Depot?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Somatuline Depot (lanreotide). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may cause dizziness. If this happens, do not drive or do other tasks or actions that call for you to be alert. Talk with your doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- High or low blood sugar may happen in some patients after Somatuline Depot (lanreotide) is given. Talk with the doctor.
- Check your blood sugar as you have been told by your doctor.
- High blood pressure has happened with Somatuline Depot (lanreotide). Have your blood pressure checked as you have been told by your doctor.
- Gallbladder problems have happened. Sometimes, people had to be treated in the hospital. In some cases the gallbladder had to be removed. Discuss any questions with the doctor.
- This medicine may cause fertility problems. This may affect being able to have children. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Somatuline Depot (lanreotide) while you are pregnant.
How is this medicine (Somatuline Depot) best taken?
Use Somatuline Depot (lanreotide) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot into the fatty part of the skin.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of gallbladder problems like pain in the upper right belly area, right shoulder area, or between the shoulder blades; yellow skin or eyes; fever with chills; bloating; or very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Signs of a pancreas problem (pancreatitis) like very bad stomach pain, very bad back pain, or very bad upset stomach or throwing up.
- Signs of high blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, or change in eyesight.
- Signs of thyroid problems like change in weight; feeling nervous, excitable, restless, or weak; hair thinning; depression; neck swelling; not able to focus; trouble with heat or cold; menstrual changes; shakiness; or sweating.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Feeling confused.
- Memory problems or loss.
- Dizziness or passing out.
- Slow heartbeat.
- Feeling very tired or weak.
- Low mood (depression).
- Shortness of breath.
- Tell your doctor if you have signs of high or low blood sugar like breath that smells like fruit, dizziness, fast breathing, fast heartbeat, feeling confused, feeling sleepy, feeling weak, flushing, headache, more thirsty or hungry, passing urine more often, shaking, or sweating.
What are some other side effects of Somatuline Depot?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Stomach pain or diarrhea.
- Muscle or joint pain.
- Muscle spasm.
- Weight loss.
- Irritation where the shot is given.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Somatuline Depot?
- If you need to store Somatuline Depot (lanreotide) at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Somatuline Depot (lanreotide), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about Somatuline Depot (lanreotide)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 1 Review
- Drug class: somatostatin and somatostatin analogs
- FDA Approval History