Generic Name: lanreotide (lan-REE-oh-tide)
Brand Name: Somatuline Depot
Somatuline Depot is used for:
Treating certain patients with acromegaly. It is also used to treat a certain type of cancer called neuroendocrine tumor from the gastrointestinal tract or the pancreas (GEP-NETs). It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Somatuline Depot is a somatostatin analog. It works by reducing the levels of certain hormones (eg, growth hormone, insulin-like growth factor-1) in the blood.
Do NOT use Somatuline Depot if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Somatuline Depot
- you are allergic to latex or rubber
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Somatuline Depot:
Some medical conditions may interact with Somatuline Depot. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of gallstones or gallbladder problems, liver problems, thyroid problems, heart problems (eg, slow heartbeat, heart valve problems), high blood pressure, or pancreas problems
- if you have a history of kidney problems or are on dialysis
- if you have diabetes or use insulin or other medicine to lower your blood sugar
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Somatuline Depot. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Medicines that may lower heart rate, such as beta-blockers (eg, propranolol), because the risk of slow heartbeat may be increased. Ask your doctor if you are unsure if any of your medicines might lower your heart rate
- Bromocriptine, quinidine, or terfenadine because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Somatuline Depot
- Cyclosporine because its effectiveness may be decreased by Somatuline Depot
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Somatuline Depot may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Somatuline Depot:
Use Somatuline Depot as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Somatuline Depot. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Somatuline Depot is usually given as an injection every 4 weeks at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic. Contact your health care provider if you have any questions.
- If you miss a dose of Somatuline Depot, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Somatuline Depot.
Important safety information:
- Somatuline Depot may cause dizziness. If this happens, do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks. Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Diabetes patients - Somatuline Depot may affect your blood sugar. Check blood sugar levels closely and ask your doctor before adjusting the dose of your diabetes medicine.
- Somatuline Depot may lower your blood sugar levels. Low blood sugar may make you anxious, sweaty, weak, dizzy, drowsy, or faint. It may also make your heart beat faster; make your vision change; give you a headache, chills, or tremors; or make you more hungry. If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor right away.
- Somatuline Depot may raise your blood sugar. High blood sugar may make you feel confused, drowsy, or thirsty. It can also make you flush, breathe faster, or have a fruit-like breath odor. If these symptoms occur, tell your doctor right away.
- Lab tests may be performed while you use Somatuline Depot. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Somatuline Depot while you are pregnant. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Somatuline Depot.
Possible side effects of Somatuline Depot:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Constipation; diarrhea; gas; headache; joint pain; mild stomach pain or discomfort; muscle pain; nausea; pain, itching, or a lump at the injection site; vomiting; weight loss.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); blurred vision; depression; dizziness; severe or persistent headache; severe or persistent nausea, stomach pain, or vomiting; shortness of breath; slow or irregular heartbeat; symptoms of gallstones (eg, sudden pain around the upper right stomach area, right shoulder area, or between your shoulder blades; yellowing of the skin or eyes; fever with chills); unusual tiredness or weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Somatuline Depot:
Somatuline Depot will be handled and stored by a health care provider. You will not store it at home. Keep all medicines out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Somatuline Depot, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Somatuline Depot is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Somatuline Depot or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Somatuline Depot. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Somatuline Depot. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Somatuline Depot.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Somatuline Depot (lanreotide)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 0 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: somatostatin and somatostatin analogs