Medically reviewed on May 2, 2018
Uses of Omega-3 Fatty Acid Capsules:
- It is used to lower triglycerides.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Omega-3 Fatty Acid Capsules?
- If you have an allergy to omega-3 fatty acids or any other part of this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Omega-3 Fatty Acid Capsules?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you are allergic to fish, fish oil, or shellfish, talk with your doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Follow the diet and workout plan that your doctor told you about.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol.
- If you have a heart rhythm problem called atrial fibrillation (Afib) or flutter, talk with your doctor. People with these health problems have had them happen more often while taking omega-3 fatty acids, especially in the first few months.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Omega-3 Fatty Acid Capsules) best taken?
Use this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Some drugs may need to be taken with food or on an empty stomach. For some drugs it does not matter. Check with your pharmacist about how to take this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules).
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, open, or melt.
- If you have trouble swallowing, talk with your doctor.
- To gain the most benefit, do not miss doses.
- Keep taking this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
See also: Dosage Information (in more detail)
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
What are some other side effects of Omega-3 Fatty Acid Capsules?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Omega-3 Fatty Acid Capsules?
- Store at room temperature. Do not freeze.
- Protect from light.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids
- Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 26 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: nutraceutical products
- Krill Oil
- Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids
- Omega-3-acid ethyl esters (Advanced Reading)
- Omega-3-carboxylic acids (Advanced Reading)
- Fish Oils
- Omega-3-acid Ethyl Esters (AHFS Monograph)
- Omega-3-Acid Ethyl Esters (FDA)
- Fish Oils (Advanced Reading)