Generic name: Omega-3 Fatty Acid Capsules [ oh-MEG-a-three-FAT-tee-AS-ids ]
Brand names: Lovaza, Triklo
Drug class: Nutraceutical products
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Jan 15, 2023.
Uses of Omega-3 Fatty Acid Capsules:
- It is used to lower triglycerides.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Omega-3 Fatty Acid Capsules?
- If you are allergic to this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules); any part of this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Omega-3 Fatty Acid Capsules?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you are allergic to fish, fish oil, or shellfish, talk with your doctor.
- Have blood work checked as you have been told by the doctor. Talk with the doctor.
- Follow the diet and workout plan that your doctor told you about.
- Talk with your doctor before you drink alcohol.
- Certain types of abnormal heartbeats (atrial fibrillation or atrial flutter) have happened with this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules). These abnormal heartbeats can be severe. The risk is raised in people who have had these abnormal heartbeats in the past.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Omega-3 Fatty Acid Capsules) best taken?
Use this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules) with food.
- Swallow whole. Do not chew, break, open, or dissolve.
- If you have trouble swallowing, talk with your doctor.
- Keep taking this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules) as you have been told by your doctor or other health care provider, even if you feel well.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Fast or abnormal heartbeat.
- Dizziness or passing out.
- Shortness of breath.
- Chest pain.
- Any unexplained bruising or bleeding.
- Swelling in the arms or legs.
What are some other side effects of Omega-3 Fatty Acid Capsules?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Change in taste.
- Upset stomach.
- Stomach pain or diarrhea.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Omega-3 Fatty Acid Capsules?
- Store at room temperature in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (omega-3 fatty acid capsules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Frequently asked questions
More about omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids
- Check interactions
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Reviews (43)
- Drug images
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: nutraceutical products
- En español
- Drug Information
- Omega-3-acid ethyl esters (Advanced Reading)
- Omega-3-carboxylic acids (Advanced Reading)
Fish Oil, Lovaza, Prenatal DHA, Omacor, ... +12 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.