Generic Name: olaparib (oh-LAP-a-rib)
Brand Name: Lynparza
Olaparib is used for:
Treating advanced ovarian cancer in certain patients. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Olaparib is a PARP enzyme inhibitor. It works by killing certain cancer cells.
Do NOT use olaparib if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in olaparib
- you still have blood problems caused by previous chemotherapy treatments
- you are taking carbamazepine, phenytoin, rifampin, or St. John's wort
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using olaparib:
Some medical conditions may interact with olaparib. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have kidney problems, liver problems, or lung or breathing problems
- if you are taking other medicines to treat cancer
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with olaparib. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Amprenavir, aprepitant, atazanavir, boceprevir, ciprofloxacin, clarithromycin, crizotinib, darunavir/ritonavir, diltiazem, erythromycin, fluconazole, fosamprenavir, imatinib, indinavir, itraconazole, ketoconazole, lopinavir/ritonavir, nefazodone, nelfinavir, posaconazole, ritonavir, saquinavir, telaprevir, telithromycin, verapamil, or voriconazole because they may increase the risk of olaparib's side effects
- Bosentan, carbamazepine, efavirenz, etravirine, modafinil, nafcillin, phenytoin, rifampin, or St. John's wort because they may decrease olaparib's effectiveness
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if olaparib may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use olaparib:
Use olaparib as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Olaparib comes with an extra patient information sheet called a Medication Guide. Read it carefully. Read it again each time you get olaparib refilled.
- Swallow olaparib whole. Do not chew, dissolve, or open the capsule before swallowing.
- Do not take the capsule if it is deformed or leaking.
- Avoid food or drink containing grapefruit or Seville oranges while you are taking olaparib.
- Continue to take olaparib even if you feel well. Do not miss any doses.
- If you miss a dose of olaparib, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use olaparib.
Important safety information:
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take olaparib before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- If you have nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or decreased appetite, talk with your doctor. There may be ways to lower these side effects.
- Severe and sometimes fatal lung problems have happened with olaparib. Call your doctor right away if you have new or worsening symptoms, such as trouble breathing, fever, shortness of breath, cough, or wheezing.
- Some people have had certain bone marrow problems while taking olaparib. This includes a type of cancer called acute myeloid leukemia (AML). These people all had other treatments with chemotherapy or certain other medicines for their cancer before taking olaparib. Call your doctor right away if you have blood in the urine or stools, fever, infections that happen often, shortness of breath, unusual bruising or bleeding, unusual tiredness or weakness, or weight loss.
- If you may become pregnant, you must use an effective form of birth control while you take olaparib and for at least 1 month after you stop taking it. If you have questions about effective birth control, talk with your doctor.
- Lab tests will be performed before you start olaparib and while you take it. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use olaparib with caution in the ELDERLY; they may be more sensitive to its effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: Olaparib may cause harm to the fetus and may cause loss of the unborn baby. Do not become pregnant while you are using it. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. It is not known if this medicine is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking olaparib.
Possible side effects of olaparib:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. If any of the following COMMON side effects continue or become bothersome, check with your doctor: Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Back pain; constipation; decreased appetite; diarrhea; dizziness; headache; heartburn or upset stomach; joint or muscle pain; nausea; nose or throat irritation; stomach pain; taste changes; tiredness; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); painful urination; swelling of the hands, ankles, or feet.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Store olaparib at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Avoid temperatures higher than 104 degrees F (40 degrees C). Do not take olaparib if it has been at a temperature higher than 104 degrees F (40 degrees C). Do not store in the bathroom. Keep olaparib out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about olaparib, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Olaparib is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take olaparib or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about olaparib. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to olaparib. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using olaparib.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about olaparib
- Other brands: Lynparza