Mucinex Junior Strength
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Aug 8, 2023.
Uses of Mucinex Junior Strength:
- It is used to thin mucus so it can be taken from the body by coughing.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Mucinex Junior Strength?
- If you have an allergy to guaifenesin or any other part of Mucinex Junior Strength (guaifenesin granules).
- If you are allergic to Mucinex Junior Strength (guaifenesin granules); any part of Mucinex Junior Strength (guaifenesin granules); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have a cough with a lot of mucus.
- If you have a long-term cough caused by smoking or being around smoke, or lung problems like asthma or emphysema.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Mucinex Junior Strength (guaifenesin granules).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Mucinex Junior Strength (guaifenesin granules) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Mucinex Junior Strength?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Mucinex Junior Strength (guaifenesin granules). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you are on a low-sodium or sodium-free diet, talk with your doctor. Some of these products have sodium.
- If you have phenylketonuria (PKU), talk with your doctor. Some products have phenylalanine.
- Different brands of Mucinex Junior Strength (guaifenesin granules) may be for use in different ages of children. Talk with the doctor before giving Mucinex Junior Strength (guaifenesin granules) to a child.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using Mucinex Junior Strength (guaifenesin granules) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Mucinex Junior Strength) best taken?
Use Mucinex Junior Strength (guaifenesin granules) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Take with or without food. Take with food if it causes an upset stomach.
- Drink lots of noncaffeine liquids unless told to drink less liquid by your doctor.
- Empty the packet onto the tongue and swallow. For best taste, do not chew before swallowing.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- If you take Mucinex Junior Strength (guaifenesin granules) on a regular basis, take a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not take 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
- Many times Mucinex Junior Strength (guaifenesin granules) is taken on an as needed basis. Do not take more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Cough that does not go away.
What are some other side effects of Mucinex Junior Strength?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Mucinex Junior Strength?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Mucinex Junior Strength (guaifenesin granules), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Frequently asked questions
- Does Mucinex help with Covid?
- Does Mucinex help you get pregnant?
- What is the dose for an adult for Robitussin DM? How many times a day?
More about Mucinex for Kids (guaifenesin)
- Compare alternatives
- Pricing & coupons
- Latest FDA alerts (4)
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: expectorants
- En español
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.