The originating document has been archived. We cannot confirm the completeness, accuracy and currency of the content.
Metamucil Plus Calcium
Generic Name: psyllium/calcium (SILL-i-um/KAL-see-uhm)
Brand Name: Metamucil Plus Calcium
Metamucil Plus Calcium is used for:
Treating occasional constipation and restoring regularity. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Metamucil Plus Calcium is a fiber laxative. It works by absorbing water and swelling in the intestines. This helps the stool form the bulk necessary to be easily passed.
Do NOT use Metamucil Plus Calcium if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Metamucil Plus Calcium
- you have appendicitis, difficulty swallowing, severe constipation, intestinal blockage, undiagnosed rectal bleeding, or high levels of calcium in your blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Metamucil Plus Calcium:
Some medical conditions may interact with Metamucil Plus Calcium. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a sudden change in bowel habits persisting for more than 2 weeks
- if you have stomach or intestinal pain, nausea, vomiting
- if you have kidney problems, kidney stones, sarcoidosis, high levels of calcium in your urine, or if you are dehydrated
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Metamucil Plus Calcium. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Thyroid hormones (eg, levothyroxine) because effectiveness may be decreased by Metamucil Plus Calcium
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Metamucil Plus Calcium may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Metamucil Plus Calcium:
Use Metamucil Plus Calcium as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Metamucil Plus Calcium may be taken with or without food.
- If your dose consists of more than 1 capsule, be sure to swallow only 1 capsule at a time.
- Take Metamucil Plus Calcium with a full glass of water (8 oz/240 mL).
- Do not take other oral medicines within 2 hours before or 2 hours after taking Metamucil Plus Calcium.
- If you miss a dose of Metamucil Plus Calcium, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Metamucil Plus Calcium.
Important safety information:
- If your symptoms do not improve within 7 days or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Do not take additional laxatives or stool softeners with Metamucil Plus Calcium unless directed by your doctor.
- Do not use Metamucil Plus Calcium if you experience stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, or rectal bleeding, except under the direction of your doctor.
- If you notice a sudden change in bowel habits that lasts for 2 weeks or more, do not continue using Metamucil Plus Calcium. Instead, check with your doctor.
- Taking this product without enough liquid may cause it to swell and block your throat or esophagus and may cause choking. Do not take this product if you have difficulty swallowing. If you experience chest pain, vomiting, or difficulty swallowing or breathing after taking this product, seek immediate medical attention.
- Use of Metamucil Plus Calcium is not recommended in CHILDREN younger than 12 years of age. Safety and effectiveness in this age group have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Metamucil Plus Calcium, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Metamucil Plus Calcium during pregnancy. It is unknown if Metamucil Plus Calcium is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Metamucil Plus Calcium, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Metamucil Plus Calcium:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Abdominal fullness; minor bloating.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); chest pain; difficulty swallowing; trouble breathing; vomiting.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Metamucil Plus Calcium:
Store Metamucil Plus Calcium at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C), in a tightly closed container. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Metamucil Plus Calcium out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Metamucil Plus Calcium, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Metamucil Plus Calcium is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Metamucil Plus Calcium or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Metamucil Plus Calcium. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Metamucil Plus Calcium. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Metamucil Plus Calcium.