Generic Name: pyridostigmine (peer-id-oh-STIG-meen)
Brand Name: Mestinon
Mestinon syrup is used for:
Treating myasthenia gravis. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Mestinon syrup is a cholinesterase inhibitor. It works by improving nerve impulses in muscles so that the muscles are better able to work.
Do NOT use Mestinon syrup if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Mestinon syrup
- you are taking quinine or quinidine
- you have a stomach, intestinal, or urinary blockage
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Mestinon syrup:
Some medical conditions may interact with Mestinon syrup. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have heart problems (eg, heart block, slow heartbeat), a urinary tract infection, asthma, or kidney problems
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Mestinon syrup. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Quinine or quinidine because effectiveness of Mestinon syrup may be decreased
- Succinylcholine because actions and side effects may be increased by Mestinon syrup
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Mestinon syrup may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Mestinon syrup:
Use Mestinon syrup as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Mestinon syrup may be taken with or without food. Take with food if it upsets your stomach.
- Use a measuring device marked for medicine dosing. Ask your pharmacist for help if you are unsure of how to measure your dose.
- If you miss a dose of Mestinon syrup, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Mestinon syrup.
Important safety information:
- Before you have any medical or dental treatments, emergency care, or surgery, tell the doctor or dentist that you are using Mestinon syrup.
- Use Mestinon syrup with extreme caution in CHILDREN. Safety and effectiveness have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant while taking Mestinon syrup, discuss with your doctor the benefits and risks of using Mestinon syrup during pregnancy. Mestinon syrup is excreted in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you are using Mestinon syrup, check with your doctor or pharmacist to discuss the risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Mestinon syrup:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); diarrhea; fainting; increased production of saliva; increased sweating; muscle weakness; nausea; small pupils; stomach cramps; trouble breathing; vision changes; vomiting; weakness.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include diarrhea; fainting; increased production of saliva; increased sweating; muscle weakness; nausea; small pupils; stomach cramps; trouble breathing; vision changes; vomiting; weakness.Proper storage of Mestinon syrup:
Store Mestinon syrup between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Mestinon syrup out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Mestinon syrup, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Mestinon syrup is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Mestinon syrup or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Mestinon syrup. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Mestinon syrup. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Mestinon syrup.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Mestinon (pyridostigmine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 16 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: cholinergic muscle stimulants
Other brands: Regonol