Mestinon Side Effects
Generic Name: pyridostigmine
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on May 18, 2020.
Note: This document contains side effect information about pyridostigmine. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Mestinon.
For the Consumer
Applies to pyridostigmine: oral conventional 30-mg tablets for military use, oral conventional 60-mg tablets and extended-release tablets, oral oral solution, parenteral injection
Military Use for Soman Poisoning Prophylaxis
- Use of pyridostigmine alone is not protective against soman effects.111 Efficacy depends on rapid use of nerve agent antidotes (i.e., atropine and pralidoxime) following nerve agent exposure.111
- Protective garments (e.g., masks, hoods, overgarments) specifically designed for protection from chemical nerve agents are the primary means of protection against nerve agent exposure; do not rely solely on pretreatment with pyridostigmine, atropine, and pralidoxime to provide complete protection.111
- Do not administer pyridostigmine after soman exposure.111 Discontinue at first sign of nerve agent poisoning; may exacerbate effects of a sublethal exposure.111
Experience of Health Care Personnel
- Pyridostigmine should be administered by IV injection only by adequately trained individuals familiar with the drug’s actions, characteristics, and risks.124
Side effects include:
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to pyridostigmine: injectable solution, oral syrup, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release
Frequency not reported: Increased bronchial secretion combined with bronchoconstriction[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Muscle weakness, fasciculation, tremors, muscle cramps, muscle hypotonia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Miosis, increased lacrimation, accommodation disorders[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Urinary urgency[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Regonol (pyridostigmine)." Organon, West Orange, NJ.
2. Cerner Multum, Inc. "UK Summary of Product Characteristics." O 0
3. "Product Information. Mestinon (pyridostigmine)." ICN Pharmaceuticals Inc, Cost Mesa, CA.
4. Cerner Multum, Inc. "Australian Product Information." O 0
More about Mestinon (pyridostigmine)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 23 Reviews
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: cholinergic muscle stimulants
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.