Lamisil Oral GranulesPronunciation
Generic Name: terbinafine (TER-bin-a-feen)
Brand Name: Lamisil Oral Granules
Lamisil Oral Granules is used for:
Treating a type of fungal infection of the scalp (tinea capitis) in patients 4 years old and older. It may also be used for other conditions as determined by your doctor.
Lamisil Oral Granules is an antifungal agent. It works by killing sensitive fungi.
Do NOT use Lamisil Oral Granules if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Lamisil Oral Granules
- you have liver problems
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Lamisil Oral Granules:
Some medical conditions may interact with Lamisil Oral Granules. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have a history of kidney or liver problems, lupus, depression, psoriasis, alcohol abuse or dependence, or blood problems (eg, anemia)
- if you have a weakened immune system or low white blood cell counts
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Lamisil Oral Granules. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Amiodarone, cimetidine, fluconazole, or ketoconazole because they may increase the risk of Lamisil Oral Granules's side effects
- Rifampin because it may decrease Lamisil Oral Granules's effectiveness
- Antiarrhythmics (eg, flecainide, propafenone), beta-blockers (eg, metoprolol), dextromethorphan, monoamine oxidase type B (MAO-B) inhibitors (eg, selegiline), selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) (eg, fluoxetine), or tricyclic antidepressants (eg, amitriptyline, desipramine) because the risk of their side effects may be increased by Lamisil Oral Granules
- Anticoagulants (eg, warfarin) because their effectiveness may be decreased or the risk of their side effects may be increased by Lamisil Oral Granules
- Cyclosporine or tamoxifen because their effectiveness may be decreased by Lamisil Oral Granules
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Lamisil Oral Granules may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Lamisil Oral Granules:
Use Lamisil Oral Granules as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with Lamisil Oral Granules. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Take Lamisil Oral Granules by mouth with food.
- Hold the packet with the cut line on top and shake it gently to settle the contents. Open the packet by tearing along the cut line (or using scissors to cut across the line).
- Sprinkle all of the medicine from the packet over a spoonful of soft, nonacidic food (eg, pudding, mashed potatoes). Do not use applesauce or a fruit-based food.
- Mix the medicine with the food and swallow the mixture right away. Do not crush or chew the medicine before swallowing. Do not store the mixture for future use.
- If 2 packets are needed for your dose, you may mix the contents of 2 packets with 1 spoonful of food. You may also mix each packet separately on its own spoonful of food.
- To clear up your infection completely, take Lamisil Oral Granules for the full course of treatment (usually 6 weeks). Keep taking it even if you feel better in a few days.
- If you miss a dose of Lamisil Oral Granules, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Lamisil Oral Granules.
Important safety information:
- If you experience dizziness while taking Lamisil Oral Granules, use caution. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks.
- Lamisil Oral Granules only works against fungal infections; it does not treat bacterial or viral infections (eg, the common cold).
- Do NOT take more than the recommended dose or use for longer than prescribed without checking with your doctor.
- Be sure to use Lamisil Oral Granules for the full course of treatment. If you do not, the medicine may not clear up your infection completely. The fungus could also become less sensitive to this or other medicines. This could make the infection harder to treat in the future.
- Very bad skin reactions (eg, Stevens-Johnson syndrome/toxic epidermal necrolysis) that include skin rash with or without liver, lung, kidney, and/or heart problems have occurred in patients taking Lamisil Oral Granules. These reactions can cause very bad health problems that may not go away and sometimes death. Get medical help right away if you have red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin; fever; red or irritated eyes; sores in your mouth, throat, nose, or eyes; or swollen lymph glands (with or without other unusual side effects).
- Lamisil Oral Granules may lower the ability of your body to fight infection. Tell your doctor if you notice signs of infection like fever, sore throat, rash, or chills.
- Tell your doctor or dentist that you take Lamisil Oral Granules before you receive any medical or dental care, emergency care, or surgery.
- Before using Lamisil Oral Granules, tell your doctor if you take a medicine that contains caffeine or if you consume large amounts of food or drink that contain caffeine (eg, coffee, tea, cocoa, cola, chocolate).
- Taste changes (eg, taste loss) or changes in smell (eg, loss of smell) have been reported in patients taking Lamisil Oral Granules. These effects may resolve after you stop taking Lamisil Oral Granules, but may last for a long time (eg, more than 1 year), or may be permanent. Tell your doctor right away if you experience changes in smell, taste changes, poor appetite, unwanted weight loss, anxiety, or mood changes (eg, symptoms of depression).
- Lamisil Oral Granules may cause you to become sunburned more easily. Avoid the sun, sunlamps, or tanning booths until you know how you react to Lamisil Oral Granules. Use a sunscreen or wear protective clothing if you must be outside for more than a short time.
- Lab tests, including liver function or complete blood cell counts, may be performed while you use Lamisil Oral Granules. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Lamisil Oral Granules should be used with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 4 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: It is not known if Lamisil Oral Granules can cause harm to the fetus. Do not start taking Lamisil Oral Granules during pregnancy without talking with your doctor. If you think you may be pregnant, contact your doctor right away. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Lamisil Oral Granules while you are pregnant. Lamisil Oral Granules is found in breast milk. Do not breast-feed while taking Lamisil Oral Granules.
Possible side effects of Lamisil Oral Granules:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Cough; diarrhea; gas; headache; indigestion; mild stomach pain; nausea; symptoms of upper respiratory tract infection (eg, mild sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, sneezing); vomiting.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing or swallowing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, throat, or tongue; unusual hoarseness); burning, numbness, or tingling; mental or mood changes (eg, depression, restlessness, sadness, worthlessness); new or worsening symptoms of lupus (eg, butterfly-shaped rash on the face, joint pain, seizures, skin color changes, unusual sensitivity to the sun); pale skin or nail beds; severe muscle or joint pain or tenderness; severe or persistent stomach pain (with or without nausea or vomiting); sleep problems; symptoms of liver problems (eg, dark urine; loss of appetite, pale stools; unexplained, persistent nausea; vomiting; yellowing of the skin or eyes); unusual bruising or bleeding; unusual tiredness or weakness; vision or hearing changes.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately. Symptoms may include dizziness; frequent urination; rash; severe headache or nausea; stomach pain; vomiting.Proper storage of Lamisil Oral Granules:
Store Lamisil Oral Granules at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Lamisil Oral Granules out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Lamisil Oral Granules, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Lamisil Oral Granules is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Lamisil Oral Granules or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Lamisil Oral Granules. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Lamisil Oral Granules. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your health care provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Lamisil Oral Granules.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Lamisil (terbinafine)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 82 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: miscellaneous antifungals
Other brands: Terbinex