Generic Name: sodium ferric gluconate (SOE-dee-um FER-ik GLOO-koe-nate)
Brand Name: Ferrlecit
Ferrlecit is used for:
Treating iron deficiency anemia in patients undergoing hemodialysis who are also receiving epoetin therapy.
Ferrlecit is an iron complex. It works by providing the body with its necessary level of iron.
Do NOT use Ferrlecit if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in Ferrlecit or to other intravenous (IV) iron products
- you have anemia not caused by low blood iron levels
- you have high levels of iron in the blood
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using Ferrlecit:
Some medical conditions may interact with Ferrlecit. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
- if you have had multiple blood transfusions
- if you have stomach or bowel inflammation (eg, colitis, Crohn disease, diverticulitis), an ulcer, the blood disease porphyria, or thalassemia
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with Ferrlecit. Tell your health care provider if you are taking any other medicines, especially any of the following:
- Iron products taken by mouth because they may not be absorbed into the body as well and their effectiveness may be decreased
This may not be a complete list of all interactions that may occur. Ask your health care provider if Ferrlecit may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use Ferrlecit:
Use Ferrlecit as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- Ferrlecit is administered as an injection at your doctor's office, hospital, or clinic.
- Do not use Ferrlecit if it contains particles or is cloudy or discolored, or if the vial is cracked or damaged.
- Keep this product, as well as syringes and needles, out of the reach of children and away from pets. Do not reuse needles, syringes, or other materials. Dispose of properly after use. Ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain local regulations for proper disposal.
- If you miss a dose of Ferrlecit, contact your doctor right away.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Ferrlecit.
Important safety information:
- Ferrlecit may cause dizziness. This effect may be worse if you take it with alcohol or certain medicines. Use Ferrlecit with caution. If you experience dizziness, sit up or stand slowly. Sit or lie down at the first sign of dizziness. Do not drive or perform other possibly unsafe tasks until you know how you react to it. Tell your doctor right away if you experience dizziness.
- Do NOT use more than the recommended dose without checking with your doctor.
- Serious and sometimes fatal allergic reactions have been reported with Ferrlecit. You will be monitored while you receive Ferrlecit and for at least 30 minutes after you receive it. Tell your doctor right away if you develop unusual symptoms during or after treatment (eg, dizziness, light-headedness, swelling, shortness of breath, wheezing). Discuss any questions or concerns with your doctor.
- Lab tests, including iron levels and blood pressure, may be performed while you use Ferrlecit. These tests may be used to monitor your condition or check for side effects. Be sure to keep all doctor and lab appointments.
- Use Ferrlecit with extreme caution in CHILDREN younger than 6 years old; safety and effectiveness in these children have not been confirmed.
- Ferrlecit has benzyl alcohol in it. Do not use it in NEWBORNS or INFANTS. It may cause serious and sometimes fatal nervous system problems and other side effects.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using Ferrlecit while you are pregnant. It is not known if Ferrlecit in found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use Ferrlecit, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of Ferrlecit:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. Check with your doctor if any of these most COMMON side effects persist or become bothersome:
Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Cramps; diarrhea; leg cramps; loss of appetite; nausea; stomach pain; tiredness; vomiting; weakness.
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); burning, numbness, or tingling; calf or leg pain, redness, tenderness, or swelling; chest pain; coughing; dizziness or light-headedness; fainting; fast, slow, or irregular heartbeat; fever or chills; flushing; increased sweating; muscle weakness; pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site; severe or persistent nausea, vomiting, or headache; severe pain in the chest, back, groin, or sides of the body; shortness of breath or other breathing problems; swelling; wheezing.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of Ferrlecit:
Ferrlecit is usually handled and stored by a health care provider. If you are using Ferrlecit at home, store Ferrlecit as directed by your pharmacist or health care provider. Keep Ferrlecit out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about Ferrlecit, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Ferrlecit is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take Ferrlecit or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about Ferrlecit. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to Ferrlecit. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using Ferrlecit.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.
More about Ferrlecit (sodium ferric gluconate complex)
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 2 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Generic Availability
- Drug class: iron products
Other brands: Nulecit