Elta Seal Moisture Barrier
Generic name: Zinc Oxide [ zink-OKS-ide ]
Brand names: AmeriDerm PeriShield, Ammens Original Medicated, Ammens Shower Fresh, Balmex, Boudreaux's Butt Paste, ... show all 15 brands Calazime Skin Protectant, CareAll, Critic-Aid Thick Moist Barrier, Desitin Maximum Strength Original, Desitin Rapid Relief, Dr. Smith's Diaper Rash, Elta Seal Moisture Barrier, PeriGuard, Pharmabase Barrier, Triple Paste
Drug class: Miscellaneous topical agents
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Mar 20, 2023.
Uses of Elta Seal Moisture Barrier:
- It is used to treat or prevent diaper rash.
- It is used to treat skin irritation.
- It is used to treat poison oak, ivy, and sumac rashes.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Elta Seal Moisture Barrier?
- If you are allergic to Elta Seal Moisture Barrier (zinc oxide); any part of Elta Seal Moisture Barrier (zinc oxide); or any other drugs, foods, or substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had.
- If you have a deep wound or a puncture wound.
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with Elta Seal Moisture Barrier (zinc oxide).
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take Elta Seal Moisture Barrier (zinc oxide) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Elta Seal Moisture Barrier?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take Elta Seal Moisture Barrier (zinc oxide). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- This medicine may cause harm if swallowed. If Elta Seal Moisture Barrier (zinc oxide) is swallowed, call a doctor or poison control center right away.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant, plan on getting pregnant, or are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks to you and the baby.
How is this medicine (Elta Seal Moisture Barrier) best taken?
Use Elta Seal Moisture Barrier (zinc oxide) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Do not take Elta Seal Moisture Barrier (zinc oxide) by mouth. Use on your skin only. Keep out of your mouth, nose, and eyes (may burn).
- Wash your hands before and after use. Do not wash your hands after use if putting this on your hand.
- Clean affected part before use. Make sure to dry well.
- Put on affected part and rub gently.
- If you are using under a diaper, change the diaper often. Clean the affected area and allow it to dry. Use the drug with each diaper changed, especially at bedtime.
- Shake well before use.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Put on a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- Many times Elta Seal Moisture Barrier (zinc oxide) is used on an as needed basis. Do not use more often than told by the doctor.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of Elta Seal Moisture Barrier?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Elta Seal Moisture Barrier?
- Store at room temperature.
- Store in a dry place. Do not store in a bathroom.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Protect from heat or open flame. Do not puncture or burn even if it seems empty.
Consumer Information Use and Disclaimer
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about Elta Seal Moisture Barrier (zinc oxide), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
More about Elta Seal Moisture Barrier (zinc oxide topical)
- Compare alternatives
- Side effects
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: miscellaneous topical agents
Desitin Rapid Relief Cream, Balmex, Critic Aid, Boudreaux Butt Paste, ... +9 more
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.