Medically reviewed on April 4, 2018.
Uses of Adenosine:
- It is used to treat certain types of abnormal heartbeats.
- It is used during a stress test of the heart.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Adenosine?
- If you have an allergy to adenosine or any other part of adenosine.
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
- If you have any of these health problems: Certain types of abnormal heartbeats (heart block, sick sinus syndrome) without a working pacemaker.
- If you have a certain type of chest pain (unstable angina).
- If you have any of these health problems: Asthma or other breathing problems like COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease).
This is not a list of all drugs or health problems that interact with adenosine.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take adenosine with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Adenosine?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take adenosine. This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- Have an ECG checked often. Talk with your doctor.
- High or low blood pressure may happen with adenosine. Have your blood pressure checked as you have been told by your doctor.
- Avoid use of caffeine (for example, tea, coffee, cola) and chocolate.
- If you are taking aminophylline, dipyridamole, theophylline, or any drug containing caffeine, talk with doctor. These drugs can affect how well adenosine works.
- Heart attacks and very bad fast heartbeat have rarely happened with adenosine. Sometimes this has been deadly. Talk with the doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using adenosine while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Adenosine) best taken?
Use adenosine as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- It is given as a shot into a vein.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Call your doctor to find out what to do.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Signs of high or low blood pressure like very bad headache or dizziness, passing out, change in eyesight.
- Weakness on 1 side of the body, trouble speaking or thinking, change in balance, drooping on one side of the face, or blurred eyesight.
- Chest pain or pressure.
- Fast or slow heartbeat.
- A heartbeat that does not feel normal.
- Shortness of breath.
- Throat, neck, or jaw pain.
What are some other side effects of Adenosine?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Belly pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
See also: Side effects (in more detail)
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Adenosine?
- If you need to store adenosine at home, talk with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist about how to store it.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about adenosine, please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about adenosine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- Pricing & Coupons
- 8 Reviews – Add your own review/rating
- Drug class: cardiac stressing agents