Generic Name: Acetylcysteine Effervescent Tablets (a se teel SIS teen)
Brand Name: Cetylev
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Feb 17, 2019.
Uses of Acetylcysteine Effervescent Tablets:
- It is used to treat acetaminophen overdose.
- It may be given to you for other reasons. Talk with the doctor.
What do I need to tell my doctor BEFORE I take Acetylcysteine Effervescent Tablets?
- If you have an allergy to acetylcysteine or any other part of this medicine (acetylcysteine effervescent tablets).
- If you are allergic to any drugs like this one, any other drugs, foods, or other substances. Tell your doctor about the allergy and what signs you had, like rash; hives; itching; shortness of breath; wheezing; cough; swelling of face, lips, tongue, or throat; or any other signs.
This medicine may interact with other drugs or health problems.
Tell your doctor and pharmacist about all of your drugs (prescription or OTC, natural products, vitamins) and health problems. You must check to make sure that it is safe for you to take this medicine (acetylcysteine effervescent tablets) with all of your drugs and health problems. Do not start, stop, or change the dose of any drug without checking with your doctor.
What are some things I need to know or do while I take Acetylcysteine Effervescent Tablets?
- Tell all of your health care providers that you take this medicine (acetylcysteine effervescent tablets). This includes your doctors, nurses, pharmacists, and dentists.
- If you are on a low-salt or salt-free diet, talk with your doctor.
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or plan on getting pregnant. You will need to talk about the benefits and risks of using this medicine (acetylcysteine effervescent tablets) while you are pregnant.
- Tell your doctor if you are breast-feeding. You will need to talk about any risks to your baby.
How is this medicine (Acetylcysteine Effervescent Tablets) best taken?
Use this medicine (acetylcysteine effervescent tablets) as ordered by your doctor. Read all information given to you. Follow all instructions closely.
- Melt the tablet(s) in water as you have been told by the doctor. Do not swallow the tablet(s) whole.
- Drink within 2 hours of mixing.
- Those who have feeding tubes may use this medicine (acetylcysteine effervescent tablets). Use as you have been told. Flush the feeding tube after this medicine (acetylcysteine effervescent tablets) is given.
- If you throw up within 1 hour of taking this medicine (acetylcysteine effervescent tablets), take 1 more dose.
What do I do if I miss a dose?
- Use a missed dose as soon as you think about it.
- If it is close to the time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your normal time.
- Do not use 2 doses at the same time or extra doses.
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Shortness of breath.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
What are some other side effects of Acetylcysteine Effervescent Tablets?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
How do I store and/or throw out Acetylcysteine Effervescent Tablets?
- Store in the original container at room temperature.
- Keep all drugs in a safe place. Keep all drugs out of the reach of children and pets.
- Throw away unused or expired drugs. Do not flush down a toilet or pour down a drain unless you are told to do so. Check with your pharmacist if you have questions about the best way to throw out drugs. There may be drug take-back programs in your area.
Consumer information use
- If your symptoms or health problems do not get better or if they become worse, call your doctor.
- Do not share your drugs with others and do not take anyone else's drugs.
- Keep a list of all your drugs (prescription, natural products, vitamins, OTC) with you. Give this list to your doctor.
- Talk with the doctor before starting any new drug, including prescription or OTC, natural products, or vitamins.
- Some drugs may have another patient information leaflet. Check with your pharmacist. If you have any questions about this medicine (acetylcysteine effervescent tablets), please talk with your doctor, nurse, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- If you think there has been an overdose, call your poison control center or get medical care right away. Be ready to tell or show what was taken, how much, and when it happened.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
More about acetylcysteine
- Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Compare Alternatives
- Pricing & Coupons
- 14 Reviews
- Drug class: antidotes
- FDA Alerts (2)
- Acetylcysteine inhalation
- Acetylcysteine oral, effervescent
- Acetylcysteine Injection
- Acetylcysteine Solution
- Acetylcysteine (Advanced Reading)
- ... +2 more