User Reviews for Acetylcysteine

Also known as: Acetadote, Acys-5, Cetylev, Mucomyst, Mucomyst-10, Mucomyst-20, NAC, Parvolex, Solgar NAC

Learn more about Acetylcysteine.

Acetaminophen Overdose 1 reviews 9 medications

Diagnostic Bronchograms 1 reviews 7 medications

Expectoration 8 reviews 163 medications

8.7
Summary of Acetylcysteine reviews 10 reviews 8.9

Reviews for Acetylcysteine

For Expectoration: "my mother was taking this drug at 10% with her nebulizer treatment of 3ml albuterol bronchodilator and it was working well. But now hospice has sent the 20% for her to use and it is NOT breaking up the mucus as well. They say that the drug is on backorder for the 10% and she is suffering by what seems to be by using the 20%. I was told by a pulminologist that it must be diluted with a bronchodilator which is the albuterol but in switching to the 20% I'm not sure what the mixture should be."

juliescolors January 10, 2016

Mucomyst (acetylcysteine) for Expectoration: "As a heathcare professional having given Mucomyst to patients over more than 30 year career, I've yet to observe any benefit from the aerosolization of this med. I don't want to minimize the previous comments. Used during a bronchoscopy in liquid wash, it will dissolve thick mucus quickly and effectively but the benefit of aerosolization has not been demonstrated or established in any controlled study. Also, after more than 24 hours of use, the lung tissue will begin to "weep," this is a very caustic substance to lung. Too often it's order for a specific problem area of the lung. As the laws of nature take effect in that gas follows the path of least resistance, Mucomyst is delivered to all areas of lung with minimal effect to the problem."

Anonymous June 14, 2015

For Diagnostic Bronchograms: "I have chronic bronchitis and the beginnings of emphysema and am a smoker. I'm also prone to ulcers. Since I started taking NAC, I breathe easier and my bronchitis seems to be less "phlemmy". I've had no ulcer attacks. I've been taking it for a bit more than a year. "

RubensDaughter February 5, 2015

For Expectoration: "Got over the counter for severe respiratory congestion while traveling in Bruges, Belgium in 2012. Extremely and quickly effective. Will obtain additional supply in March 2015 when returning to Belgium. No adverse effects."

tpsychnurse (taken for less than 1 month) January 10, 2015

For Expectoration: "I had severe bronchitis while traveling in the south of France this summer and had an excellent experience with the French socialized health system. A local doctor in a small village in Provence prescribed Exomuc (an orange flavored granular form of Acetylcysteine made to be taken orally when dissolved in a small glass of water). My cough was gone within 48 hours! Why is this not a commonly prescribed drug in the US? I normally take steroids, decongestants and cough formulas for 1-2 weeks in the U.S.!"

Relief-in-Provence November 7, 2013

Mucomyst (acetylcysteine) for Expectoration: "I had severe bronchitis from a sinus infection while traveling. It was causing me severe pulmonary distress. I was taking my rescue inhaler every 2 hours. The doctor in Hungary prescribed acetylcysteine, to help clear the lungs. My lungs cleared in days. What a difference! The only side effect I had was dripping from my nose. It liquified the mucus there too. Usually back home in the US they prescribe steroids (prednisone) and albuterol nebulizer treatments for weeks while the coughing clears. No more for me."

TLD - California (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2013

Mucomyst (acetylcysteine) for Expectoration: "I started using acetylcysteine last May. For the first time in 20 years my lungs were clear. My bronchitis disappeared. My FEV1 increased 25 per cent. My sinus condition cleared up and the headaches were gone. I do not understand why this medicine is not used routinely for COPD and other respiratory ailments."

allmymarbles November 19, 2011

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Expectoration: "It helped my asthma a lot, diminishing the cough quite a lot. I didn't get any bronchospasm from it despite the warnings, however some itching appeared but soon went away. Before my asthma was under control it also helped a lot by making the mucus much easier to cough up. It works very well every single day (if a stop taking it the coughing soon enough increases)."

the_chemist June 24, 2011

Mucomyst-10 (acetylcysteine) for Acetaminophen Overdose: "It was really early in the morning, and I went to take Tylenol, when I misread the directions. I meant to measure out two tablespoons of the drug, but accidentally used my measuring cup instead. I ended up chugging two cups of Tylenol instead! I was rushed to the hospital and given Mucomyst-10 to offset the effects. Mucomyst-10 saved my life. Thank you Mucomyst-10!"

Anonymous May 19, 2010

For Expectoration: "When I came down with pneumonia while living in Israel, acetylcysteine (brand name Siran) made all of the difference. The medicine came as effervescent tablets with a lemon flavoring taken with water four times a day. Within 48 hours I could feel a world of difference as I started to purge all of the fluid and congestion from my lungs. Siran is one of the most effective medicines for expectoration I have ever used."

Anonymous November 12, 2009