User Reviews for Acetylcysteine

Expectoration 8.7
Summary of Acetylcysteine reviews 8.7 16 reviews

Reviews for Acetylcysteine

Franky · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 14, 2020

For Expectoration: “I have severe COPD and am prescribed Acetylcysteine 10% 4 ml solution. It works great for me loosening up my phlegm. The only issue with it here in Delaware County, Pennsylvania is that not one Pharmacy can obtain it. There is a shortage.”

JS · Taken for less than 1 month May 14, 2019

For Expectoration: “I purchased acetylcysteine over the counter from a pharmacy in Barcelona Spain in December 2018. I had chronic bronchitis that was aggravated by a cold or respiratory condition. This miracle drug stopped my coughing soon after taking it. Now in 2019 I have chronic bronchitis and it is the only thing that clears up my coughing and makes me feel better too. I don't understand why they discontinued it in the U.S. when you can purchase it all over Europe.”

Fight · Taken for less than 1 month February 6, 2019

For Expectoration: “I have COPD, NAC was recommended by a friend. Started taking about 3 weeks ago. Got a sinus infection, my pulmonologist could not believe my breathing remained clear. Diagnosed 2 years ago, for me that best thing yet. Before had a few clear breathing days, now more clear than cloudy.”

Broo · Taken for less than 1 month January 3, 2019

For Expectoration: “Acetylcysteine cleared my stuffy nose but gave me chronic cough and Itchy skin.”

NancyM · Taken for 6 months to 1 year March 26, 2018

NAC (acetylcysteine): “I' ve been taking 1800 mg/day of acetylcysteine for CFS (Chronic fatigue syndrome) or myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) symptoms and it is the single best supplement I’ve found. Dosage based on CFS study. Half life is only 3 hours, so timed release is most helpful, tho more expensive and only one brand available at this time.”

The Road · Taken for 5 to 10 years August 18, 2017

Mucomyst (acetylcysteine) for Expectoration: “I use it occasionally. About once a week to help break up mucus from my COPD that Albuterol won't clear up.”

Avid Reader · Taken for 2 to 5 years January 12, 2017

For Expectoration: “Personally, taking 600mg. orally bid (or tid if symptomatic) for allergic bronchitis has reduced overall severity of seasonal exacerbations. Have recommended it to others with chronic sinus or respiratory conditions where it's indicated, and most of the time, reports are very favorable. A safe older drug that is largely neglected in the U.S. Recent trial in China showed decreased hospitalizations in persons with COPD who are maintained on N-acetylcysteine.”

juliescolors January 10, 2016

For Expectoration: “my mother was taking this drug at 10% with her nebulizer treatment of 3ml albuterol bronchodilator and it was working well. But now hospice has sent the 20% for her to use and it is NOT breaking up the mucus as well. They say that the drug is on backorder for the 10% and she is suffering by what seems to be by using the 20%. I was told by a pulminologist that it must be diluted with a bronchodilator which is the albuterol but in switching to the 20% I'm not sure what the mixture should be.”

Anonymous June 14, 2015

Mucomyst (acetylcysteine) for Expectoration: “As a heathcare professional having given Mucomyst to patients over more than 30 year career, I've yet to observe any benefit from the aerosolization of this med. I don't want to minimize the previous comments. Used during a bronchoscopy in liquid wash, it will dissolve thick mucus quickly and effectively but the benefit of aerosolization has not been demonstrated or established in any controlled study. Also, after more than 24 hours of use, the lung tissue will begin to "weep," this is a very caustic substance to lung. Too often it's order for a specific problem area of the lung. As the laws of nature take effect in that gas follows the path of least resistance, Mucomyst is delivered to all areas of lung with minimal effect to the problem.”

RubensDaughter February 5, 2015

For Diagnostic Bronchograms: “I have chronic bronchitis and the beginnings of emphysema and am a smoker. I'm also prone to ulcers. Since I started taking NAC, I breathe easier and my bronchitis seems to be less "phlemmy". I've had no ulcer attacks. I've been taking it for a bit more than a year. ”

tpsychnurse · Taken for less than 1 month January 10, 2015

For Expectoration: “Got over the counter for severe respiratory congestion while traveling in Bruges, Belgium in 2012. Extremely and quickly effective. Will obtain additional supply in March 2015 when returning to Belgium. No adverse effects.”

Relief-in-Provence November 7, 2013

For Expectoration: “I had severe bronchitis while traveling in the south of France this summer and had an excellent experience with the French socialized health system. A local doctor in a small village in Provence prescribed Exomuc (an orange flavored granular form of Acetylcysteine made to be taken orally when dissolved in a small glass of water). My cough was gone within 48 hours! Why is this not a commonly prescribed drug in the US? I normally take steroids, decongestants and cough formulas for 1-2 weeks in the U.S.!”

TLD - California · Taken for less than 1 month May 8, 2013

Mucomyst (acetylcysteine) for Expectoration: “I had severe bronchitis from a sinus infection while traveling. It was causing me severe pulmonary distress. I was taking my rescue inhaler every 2 hours. The doctor in Hungary prescribed acetylcysteine, to help clear the lungs. My lungs cleared in days. What a difference! The only side effect I had was dripping from my nose. It liquified the mucus there too. Usually back home in the US they prescribe steroids (prednisone) and albuterol nebulizer treatments for weeks while the coughing clears. No more for me.”

allmymarbles November 19, 2011

Mucomyst (acetylcysteine) for Expectoration: “I started using acetylcysteine last May. For the first time in 20 years my lungs were clear. My bronchitis disappeared. My FEV1 increased 25 per cent. My sinus condition cleared up and the headaches were gone. I do not understand why this medicine is not used routinely for COPD and other respiratory ailments.”

the_chemist June 24, 2011

For Expectoration: “It helped my asthma a lot, diminishing the cough quite a lot. I didn't get any bronchospasm from it despite the warnings, however some itching appeared but soon went away. Before my asthma was under control it also helped a lot by making the mucus much easier to cough up. It works very well every single day (if a stop taking it the coughing soon enough increases).”

Anonymous May 19, 2010

Mucomyst-10 (acetylcysteine) for Acetaminophen Overdose: “It was really early in the morning, and I went to take Tylenol, when I misread the directions. I meant to measure out two tablespoons of the drug, but accidentally used my measuring cup instead. I ended up chugging two cups of Tylenol instead! I was rushed to the hospital and given Mucomyst-10 to offset the effects. Mucomyst-10 saved my life. Thank you Mucomyst-10!”

Anonymous November 12, 2009

For Expectoration: “When I came down with pneumonia while living in Israel, acetylcysteine (brand name Siran) made all of the difference. The medicine came as effervescent tablets with a lemon flavoring taken with water four times a day. Within 48 hours I could feel a world of difference as I started to purge all of the fluid and congestion from my lungs. Siran is one of the most effective medicines for expectoration I have ever used.”