How long does it take for Tramadol to start working?

kaismama 27 May 2014

It should work with the first dose. But knowing tramadol like I do, I know that it takes at least 2 doses before it starts getting hold of severe pain.

oceanluvr 27 May 2014

I have Osteoarthritis in my lower back and both hips. I've been on Tramadol for 1 1/2 weeks with no reduction in pain, all it does is make me steep

Stormcloud2 14 Sep 2016

For bone joint and muscle pain I have found that it works really well and have been on this medication 5 times in my life, 2 c-section, 2 reconstructive knee surgeries and hand and arm. If the dose is correct it should work, however Percocet 5 or 10/325 may work better for long term and residual pain!

Delila 28 May 2014

Hi, just read your comment as well as your question, what dose are you taking and how frequently?

oceanluvr 28 May 2014

I am on 37.5 5 x daily.

Delila 29 May 2014

Considering your dose and frequency i would expect you to feel results quite quickly overall, certainly within a matter a days/up to a week... You should be relatively pain free throughout the day. If this is not the case your dose may need adjusting, or the formulation of Tramadol, or another analgesic could be added. Please discuss this with your doctor...

Quando62 28 May 2014

Been on it 400mg per day for 3 years. Works for my fibromyalgia and Depression Incredible. I can feel the effects in 1 hour...

Lila84 9 Oct 2016

I'm new to tramadol but from reading some reviews here and elsewhere people feel sleepy on it. I just took 25mg as I'm sensitive to meds. But reading that you take 400mg a few times a day is shocking. Does that make you sleepy or really dizzy? I also have fibro and depression.

balbanese 28 May 2014

I agree, it should start within 20 minutes of taking it, unless you're on the time release version. For what it's worth, I have found Tramadol good for nothing, but that's just me. Hope this helps.

wdelong 28 May 2014

It takes between 1 1/4 hours to 1 1/2 hours to work for me. It is helpful and does not make me sleepy. Works differently for different people.

dsouter 20 Nov 2014

it was on vicodin and I am trying tramadol now I just took one like about an hour ago and it still hurts.

Shykricket 24 May 2015

For me, about 45-60 min. But it actually did a good job for pain relief. It would last longer than hydro or oxy too. I would feel loopy but it gave energy.

Richard Lane 13 Jul 2015

For me, 20-30 mins but only lasts 20-30 mins (50 ml) and only 10% relief. Doc switched me to 12 hr time release at 100 ml (have 100 to 400 ml for dispensing). the change did -nothing :( Doc also has me on Baclofen (10 ml) and Norco (10/325). I have a very high tolerance to meds, my doc knows of this and has unrestricted me to usage/dosing but w/in reason. I have taken Bac/Nor 12 times together in a day and nothing (not over night, worked up to this slowly!!! ). Now I don't take Nor and limited Bac (twice a day) and 1 Tramadol, still nothing. Oceanluvr, please be advised that meds can vary greatly from person to person! my wife and I are polar opposites about reactions to all medications. For example, 1 Vicodin in AM, I got to work just fine, my wife smells it and goes sneakers up. My advise is to talk w/your doc about diff options. Get well soon luvr :)

Anonymous 7 Sep 2015

Is this like a UK thing??? What in the world does "sneakers up" mean???

Crich2 9 Aug 2016

If your is giving you free rein with the amount you take, your entire med regimen should be changed. Tell your Dr to step you up to Percocet or Oxy. If you have chronic pain (for 6 mos or more), ask to start on Fentanyl patches. You only change them every 3 days. 24 hour pain relief. The Dr will start you on a starter dose, and you go up until you have relief. You can also get pills for "breakthrough pain). So it's a pretty good deal. I've been on them for many years. Fentanyl is made for chronic pain. Hope this helps

SheilsB 30 Dec 2015

it literally takes about 3 hrs for mine to kick in. 100mg. then lasts for about 2 hrs. keeps me feeling full to so not eating much and then I get nauseous lol

Kimmyd5812 16 Apr 2016

So I've been reading the comments in this thread and I feel like my doctor is a bit of an ass.
She's allowing me to take 25mg once a week for severe pain.
Should I even expect it to do anything?

Delila 17 Apr 2016

25mg of Tramadol ONCE A WEEK for severe pain??? I'm sorry but that is ridiculous. That isn't going to help you at all. You need a second opinion...

Richard Lane 11 Aug 2016

Peep's, please be advised, there is an active campaign to reduce opioid usage in the U.S. My doc's are vehemently against upping any opioids, can't even get near what worked for me in past (vicodin)! Let alone fen/oxy etc... That's why I'm going low-t way, hoping to get my 20 yr old system back. Question for any one out there: could I be right? Can't do patches of anything and can't do multi-vitamins. Quagmire:(
P.s: sneakers up = out like a light, sleepy time, doa etc... (US term generally).