Skip to main content

Has anyone used Ambien to help nerve pain? I use it and it helps for several hours?

38 Answers

GlinskiD 5 Dec 2022

I have had ME/CFS for 26 years. Zolpidem is the only sleep medication I can use that does not worsen my brain fog and fatigue the next day. Even Better, Zolpidem diminishes the severe intensity of my 3 day episodes of whole body, buzzing electrical pain to a point that is tolerable without making me sleepy. Usually 1/2 a tablet will carry me for 4-6 hours. I have these episodes several times a month, so figuring out Zolpidem helps was a Godsend to me. Over the years I have been to many pain specialists and neurologists and tried everything they suggested, as well as all the dietary changes and supplements that were reported to help.

Drug Companies - Please do the research and get Zolpidem approved for intractable nerve pain. Please!!! It is hard for me to manage my allowed supply for both my insomnia and episodes of severe pain.

Aprilbull 17 March 2022

Yes! I actually have had severe pain for 7 years. Have tried gabapentin, lyrica, Cymbalta and narcotics which either no help or make it worse. I discovered by taking ambien for sleep that it helped my pain and so I tried it day time and cut in quarters and it helps me. I do not drive on it, but this is the only thing that gives me relief and a little quality of life. My pain doctors think it's weird, but they allow it. I don't like taking it, but its that or level 10 pain. I have crps, central pain, fibromyalgia, hernia mesh pain and more. I do get some side effects, but I pray that it could be used off label so that I would feel better about taking it. I am allowed 2, but I back off because tolerance happens.

Marka3 22 Feb 2022

It seems to work well to relieve Musculo/skeletal pain and arthritis. Zolpidem(Ambien)is a controlled substance, so dosage and quantity limits apply, including refills without a new Rx. But I got off narcotics for arthritic pain due to a broken ankle by taking Ambien.

muckfoot 21 Feb 2022

Individuals who remark that "Ambien is a sleeping pill and should not be used for other purposes." should research "off label use" of MANY MODERN PHARMACEUTICALS. This is widespread and helpful. It actually is safer for patients to have physician oversight. For legal and insurance reasons it is not "talked about" in a public setting. Same reason most docs won't talk about physician assisted suicide. Before Kevorkian made the publicity so focused, docs would tell terminal patients that "when it gets too intense just tell me and I will turn up the morphine drip". I heard one say, "since Kevorkian I'm afraid to do this"

muckfoot 21 Feb 2022

In 2017 my wife had bi-lateral jaw joint replacement due to severe TMJ pain from joint deterioration over the last 45 years. She has residual nerve pain from the surgery which is famous for stretching the facial nerves and leaving pain. She begins to spiral into pain each afternoon, spending the evening watching movies to distract her from the hurting. Nothing helps, not Oxy, not Amitriptyline not gabapentin not Nsaids nothing... except Zolpidem. She takes 3 to 5 mg at night for sleeping and the pain goes away, her mornings are productive and pain free. Her doc recently told her that "older people" cannot get prescriptions to Zolpidem due to danger of falling. This begs the question of quality of life. She occasionally stops using it to insure that she doesn't develop tolerance.

She seldom uses Oxy because, A) it really is not very effective at the doses she is willing to use and B) it has such a bad rap in the medical community that she has difficulty obtaining it. Some researcher somewhere needs to read this forum, there is ample justification spelled out here to support a research grant!

joezcpt 18 Jan 2022

Yes !

Marka3 31 July 2021

Ambien or Zolpidem is a very effective sleep medicine. It's considered in the family of "hallucinogens". It can put you to sleep very quickly, so you should only take it when you are at home. Doctors will not prescribe it off label for pain because of the dangers of falling asleep while using the medication. Also, Ambien is a Federally controlled substance, Schedule 4, and doctors and pharmacies are limited to dosage and quantity restrictions(1 tablet/day). Also, insurance companies have the same limits, or they will not pay for the medication. Suggestion for pain(it really does work): get a good pill cutter and determine what is the minimum dosage that will keep you awake, while at the same time reduce your pain issue. My doctor prescribes the maximum dosage(10 mg). If I'm up and about or at home but not in bed, 5 mg will stop my arthritis pain in my ankle(broken years ago), and not put me asleep. But I use the other 5 mg for sleep at night in bed with lights out. Good luck.

Marka3 31 July 2021

Ambien is a "hypnotic", not a "hallucinogen". Sorry.

Cinday33 31 July 2021

It's been two years since I've seen these post. I hope someone is in here . I have chronic bad pain and overactive nerves pain. When I take ambiens it lowers my pain so greatly that I have quality of life. I hate to know doctors don't take this seriously and shrug their shoulders as it's a joke. Ambien is not only a sleep meds it has other benefits too. I'm wondering how do we talk to change laws on this medication?

steviefazz 11 June 2021

It works great

steviefazz 10 June 2021

Yes it works better than lyrica

steviefazz 10 June 2021

Yes I could not believe how much Ambien helps my neuropathy... Wow

armchairnaut 7 June 2021

I have a telling experience, I took 10mg Ambien due to insomnia but after hours no effect then took another and eventually fell asleep. It should be noted I am taking 25mg Amitriptyline which can be used for nerve pain but that is not why I am prescribed. Anyway a day or two later without dosing Ambien I get a burning stabbing pain in the leg but thinking it is a physical issue try to extract whatever is causing the issue, to no avail. I notice that the pain when investigated seems to spread slightly, the locus gets bigger. My theory is whatever Ambien does for people to relieve neuropathic pain it will cause an increase in symptoms when stopped being taken, given I went from no pain to significant pain in such a short amount of time and with one dose (I do not take Ambien often at all).

clhatch13 2 June 2021

In 2007, I was going numb from the chest down. A neurologist found a tumor growing on my spinal cord in my T-spine. Zoom to 14 years later... I've had 3 major tumor removal surgeries (the tumor growing back faster after each surgery) with a laminectomy and finally a spinal fusion of my T1-T2-T3 vertebrae. We finally stopped the tumor from growing with radiation therapy but it still remains in my spinal column, compressing my spinal cord against the vertebrae. I suffer from severe, chronic pain in my neck and my T-spine. I have been on countless pain medications from liquid hydrocodone to suboxone (what i currently take) to methadone and everything inbetween. I have tried virtually every homeopathic and non-pharmacological therapy available (e.g. physical therapy, massage therapy, acupuncture, chiropractic, herbal remedies, Tens units (electric shocks/pulses), and hot/cold therapies... to name a few).

I have recently been suffering from insomnia and my pain specialist prescribed me 5mg Ambien at night to help me sleep. Surprisingly the Ambien works better than most of the opioid medications I've taken for pain. The BEST medication was a 50/50 THC to CBD tincture which I tried in Colorado once on a vacation. It makes since why Ambien works for some pain... namely neuropathic pain... because Ambien is a Central Nervous System Depressant. This means that it slows down the signals from nerves to your brain which includes pain signals. With the brain receiving less pain signals, one's pain level decreases. I'm going to discuss this with my Pain Specialist at our next appointment and see if this is something worth trying in the long-term because opioid pain medications have a large negative impact on overall health in the long run. Quite frankly for how well it is working for me, I'm surprised that more pain specialists don't have Ambien in their 'toolbox.'

I do NOT condone taking Ambien on your own (self-medicating) for pain however if you suffer from chronic pain and are on a long term medication regimen, it couldn't hurt to discuss this with your doctor. Also... if your state doesn't support medicinal marijuana, please think long and hard about supporting such an initiative. I can personally vouch for the efficacy of marijuana (at the right strength and THC/CBD ratio) for chronic, neuropathic pain. Food for thought... after I took that tincture in Colorado, I felt so good that I hiked to nearly the top of Castle Rock in Castle Rock, CO. This is something I never could have imagined being able to do since the onset of my spinal cord tumor issues... but medicinal marijuana made it possible. Fact.

To the person who simply said, "Ambien is a sleeping pill and should not be used for other purposes," you have no clue what you are talking about. If you are referring to someone abusing Ambien for pain relief, then yes, it's a sleeping pill and shouldn't be used for other purposes. However if you speak with a medical professional and they allow you to try it for your pain, then no, it's a sleeping pill and can be tried for other purposes. So many medications on the market are not prescribed for their designed purpose but rather for their side-effects. For example, Trazodone is an anti-depressant however many doctors prescribe it for sleeping problems and insomnia. Hydroxyzine is an anti-histamine but many psychiatrists prescribe it for anxiety. Wellbutrin is also an anti-depressant but doctors will prescribe it to help people quit smoking; I could list hundreds and hundreds of more meds that are prescribed for purposes other than what they were developed for. The bottom line is... if it works for treating a certain condition, then doctors should (and for the most part... will) consider using it for an off-label purpose.

If there is a medication out there that will reduce or nearly eliminate my pain and allow me to be the father to my 6 year old son that I feel he deserves, then by all means sign me up for it.

Aprilbull 17 March 2022

Absolutely! This is so me. My pain doctors are allowing it.

Aprilbull 17 March 2022

Aprilbull 17 March 2022

Aprilbull 17 March 2022

Marka3 13 Feb 2021

I have used Ambien 5 mg for arthritis in my foot due to a broken ankle, and it works great and it lasts for hours. It also works for lower back pain/spasms due to arthritis. eliminating the need for dangerous NSAID's and narcotics. The problem is that Ambien in a Schedule 4 controlled substance subject to Rx and dosage limitations, especially by insurance companies. So it's hard to use for sleep and pain(a pill cutter is very useful). Doctors don't believe that it works, but there are some research studies on the web showing the effectiveness of this "hypnotic" on after surgery pain control. Check it out.

shawnNhouston 26 Jan 2021

Yes I have and am currently using it for my Fibromyalgia pain. I need to find a doctor who understands this phenomenon as it is the only thing that brings relieve other than a narcotic