Multiple Sclerosis: What's New in Treatment Options?
What is Multiple Sclerosis?
The nerve damage that occurs with MS is not reversible, and MS is not curable. However, early treatment with medicine and lifestyle changes can make a positive impact on one's quality of life.
Are There Different Types of MS?
- Relapsing-Remitting MS (RRMS)
- Secondary-Progressive MS (SPMS)
- Primary-Progressive MS (PPMS)
- Progressive-Relapsing MS (PRMS)
Who Gets MS and Am I at Risk?
What's Involved with Diagnosis and Treatment of MS?
What is an MS Attack or Relapse?
Tell Me More About RRMS and Its Symptoms
What Treatment Options Are Available for RRMS?
How Are Disease-Modifying Agents Used in MS?
Interferon Beta: First Approved Therapy for MS
What About the Flu-Like Symptoms That Occur with Interferon?
Other Interferon Beta Side Effects
Be sure to discuss possible treatment side effects and their frequency with your healthcare provider. Not every patient experiences the same side effects at the same frequency. Some reactions, like flu-like symptoms, may be more common just at the beginning of treatment.
Copaxone: Another Possible First Line Agent
Common side effects with Copaxone include: injection site reactions, flushing, chest pain, or post-injection reaction (anxiety, chest pain, heart palpitations, shortness of breath, throat constriction, flushing). Post injection side effects typically last 15-30 minutes, subside without treatment, and have no known long-term effects.
New Oral MS Medications
Important Facts: Gilenya
Gilenya has been shown to cut relapses by 52% when compared in a one year study to using interferon beta-1a, and by 54% when compared to placebo over two years. In addition, at one year, 13% more patients on Gilenya were relapse-free when compared to interferon beta-1a. Gilenya has also been shown to slow disease progression and the number of brain lesions on an MRI. Gilenya is manufactured by Novartis.
Gilenya Side Effects
Important Facts: Aubagio
Aubagio Side Effects
Important Facts: Tecfidera
Tecfidera Side Effects
Tysabri and Lemtrada: For Advancing MS
For More Advanced MS: Other Options
Do Disease-Modifying Drugs Help With MS Symptoms?
A Must: A Healthy Lifestyle for MS Patients
What About the Costs of MS Treatment?
How Do You Determine Which Treatment is Right?
Over time, you will want to continue these discussions with your healthcare provider as your condition and treatments evolve. Each person responds to MS treatments in different ways, so a personalized approach is the best way to forge a positive outcome.
Finished: Multiple Sclerosis: What's New in Treatment Options?
- American Academy of Neurology. Understanding Multiple Sclerosis. https://www.aan.com/uploadedFiles/Website_Library_Assets/Documents/3.Practice_Management/5.Patient_Resources/1.For_Your_Patient/1.AAN_Patient_Education_Brochures/MS.pdf
- Stavnitser A, Patel P, Miller A, et al. Impact of New Oral Therapies on Multiple Sclerosis Cost and Utilization Trends. AJMC.com Managed MarketsNetwork. Feb. 7, 2013. http://www.ajmc.com/publications/ajpb/2013/ajpb_janfeb2013/impact-of-new-oral-therapies-on-multiple-sclerosis-cost-and-utilization-trends/1
- Pollack A. 3rd Oral Drug to Treat MS Is Approved by the F.D.A. The New York Times. Business Day. March 27, 2013. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/28/business/3rd-oral-drug-to-treat-ms-is-approved-by-the-fda.html?_r=1&
- Kappos L, Ernst-Wilhelm R, O'Connor P, et al. A placebo-controlled trial of oral fingolimod in relapsing multiple sclerosis. N Engl J Med. 2010;362:387-401.
- Drugs.com. Holland K. Risk and Rewards of Treating Multiple Sclerosis. http://www.drugs.com/health/multiple-sclerosis/risks-rewards-176/#1
- O'Connor P, Wolinsky JS, Confavreux C, et al. TEMSO Trial Group. Randomized trial of oral teriflunomide for relapsing multiple sclerosis. NEJM 2011;365:1293-303
- Fox RJ, Miller DH, Phillips JT, et al. CONFIRM Study Investigators. Placebo-controlled phase 3 study of oral BG-12 or glatiramer in multiple sclerosis. NEJM 2012;367:1087-97
- Genzyme. U.S. Prescribing Information. Aubagio (teriflumomide). September 2012 https://www.aubagio.com/
- Norvartis. U.S. Prescribing Information. Gilenya (fingolimod). May 2012 https:// http://www.gilenya.com/index.jsp/
- Biogen Idec. U.S. Prescribing Information. Tecfidera (dimethyl fumarate). May 2012 https:// http://www.tecfidera.com/
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society. About MS. http://www.nationalmssociety.org/about-multiple-sclerosis/index.aspx