User Reviews for Copaxone

Learn more about Copaxone.

Copaxone Rating Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 67 medications used in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.

Reviews for Copaxone to treat Multiple Sclerosis

"I think Copaxone has been great for me, no serious relapses. I went to 40mg, because 3x a week sounded better than 7, right!? I wish I had just stayed with the 20mg, been doing it for years, never had any issues. Getting a lot more site reactions now with the 40mg, lumps, itching, painful, etc. Talked to my Doctor about going back to 20mg, he said there is a generic available and most insurance companies are gonna try to push people toward the generic now. I might be stuck with the 40mg. My advice would be, just stick with the daily shots."

Nehemiah1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2016

"I've had MS for almost 8 years and been on copaxone the whole time. I'm still on copaxone and will continue to use copaxone as long as I can . Going tomorrow to get 3 MRI's and, an xray . The MRI's are with and, without contrast . Cause without contrast they wouldn't see new lesions. MS gets my right side numb face, nose, tongue, throat right side only . Two weeks ago I experienced my first MS hug . Horrible feeling. I get spasms all over and it affects my bladder as well . I hope it goes well for me tomorrow. The MRI's don't bother me - its waiting on the results ."

Bourg70343 December 28, 2015

"I'm getting 1-3 inch welts at the injection sites that are very itchy and uncomfortable. Dr says men more often have trouble with arms and legs due to more muscle than women. No other side effects."

GarpofNY (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 18, 2015

"Hi all! I started copaxone 2 months ago. So far so good only a little redness in the injection site but I think that that's nothing compared to the damage ms can do. I have a sister that is blind and handicap so I will try to do my best to help myself even if the site injections gets bad every time I inject. Nothing is perfect in life. So far that's the only reaction redness and I do use autoinject. I don't drink or smoke and I also take vitamin d every morning 2 or 3 gummies 2000 mg. only thing I am missing is that I still put sugar in my coffee :( I read sugar is not good. That will be my next years resolution. God bless all of you!"

Monic-a December 18, 2015

"My first MS symptom was sudden right sided paralysis which is very rare. I was put on steroid therapy, infusion with tapering off meds. After the six months I regained most of my motor control. I started on daily injections 8 years ago. Had the usual itching, bruising, lumps under skin. It does melt the fat under the skin also. When the 40 mg 3 times a week came out, I jumped on board with it. Honestly, I have not had any major flareups and last 3 years have had no new lesions. Stick with it if you can. I know a younger woman than myself and she would never switch from it either. Good luck :)"

Lindy Lew December 16, 2015

"You're supposed to inject this under skin not in the muscle. I have Transverse Mylytis and was just diagnosed w relapsing MS. Been getting shots but for some reason they stopped today and its only been 7 days!!!!!!"

JaRe November 28, 2015

"I have been on 20mg for about 6 years. Some annoying side effects as itching back, and feet, muscle spasms, tingling but could pretty much handle them. Then went to the 40mg. Not good. For a few months was okay but then the severe heart palpitations, Tingling in head and face, muscle spasms that would would wake me up. Neuro said was not meds and kept giving me something for anxiety. Nothing helped so I figured it was me and would have to live with it. Decided to go off and see if that helped. Has been a week and a half and I feel the symptoms fading away already. Don't know if I will go back to 20mg or just stay off of it. I can't live with the harsh side effects of the 40mg."

Sook64 October 20, 2015

"I've been on Copaxone since February 2001. I have not had a major exacerbation during that time. Previously, I had a major exacerbation approx every 5 years. The minor exacerbations I now have are very mild. Initally, I had bad site reaction - burning like a wasp sting for about half an hour, but this past. I did have one chest pain episode, but none since. Otherwise, no side effects - though I do have a bleeding "rogue blood vessel" coming through scar tissue in one eye (retina). This is from a blow 10 years ago, but I wonder if Copaxone may have exacerbated this. I have been on 20mg, only this week going onto 40mg."

Lfromoz September 16, 2015

"I only took it for two weeks. I have been told to stop by the nurse at shared solutions. Right from the get go I was getting bad reactions. There was the normal hard swelling 3" rash at the injection sight and the stinging pursued for hours. the next week, after an hour of the injection weakness throughout my entire body, all of my joints hurt especially my spine, horrible cold chills, and extreme nausea. These effects were lasting up to 6 hours. The injection site swelling would continue to get bigger for 3 days. I tried the massaging cold packs and warm packs... Nothing worked. I know this an extreme way to put it, but it felt like chemo...."

Icky Splats September 15, 2015

"I was diagnosed with MS in late December 2013. I started taking Copaxone the summer of 2014. I started off using the daily 20mg, then I switched over to the 40mg because I didn't want to give myself a daily injection. When I first started the 40mg, the side effects included sore injection site welts. Overtime, the side effects became worse. Now, every time I take the 40mg, I get very sore, itchy welts at the injection site, along with patches of itchy, rash bumps on certain parts of my body. The other side effects happen randomly after an injection. These include severe body aches and chills. The symptoms are fever-like. Other than that I feel an increase in my energy levels since taking Copaxone and my MS lesions have not spread."

LNP (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 9, 2015

"Have been on Copaxone for almost 10 years, not one problem with the medication. Copaxone has improved my day to day life."

Anonymous August 7, 2015

"I was diagnosed with MS 10 years ago by MRI after many falls due to foot drop, around 2005. I took copaxone from 2009 - 2011, 20 mg per day. It didn't help, it didn't hurt. I stopped because my insurance wouldn't cover it anymore. I've had regular symptoms over the last 10 (or even 30) years, they have gotten progressively worse the last 2 years. I got back on Copaxone about 4 months ago, 40 mg 3 times a week. I don't think it is helping. My site reactions are worse than they were with 20 mg daily shots. I have gotten to the point where I can barely walk without pain, weakness, and shin splints from the muscle weakness in my legs and inability to walk and balance properly. I take Copaxone ONLY because I'm afraid not to. Good luck."

cpk777 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 28, 2015

"I have been on Copaxone for 14 years, very stable, no problems. I tried Tecfidera, so many problems. I want to try Copaxone 3 x per week medication . I need more info."

Rosedayle July 4, 2015

"Diagnosed March 2014, and have been on Copaxone (3x weekly) since May 2014. Two MRI's since (Oct '14 and June '15) have shown no change. Had one exacerbation in April. Overall I am pleased. I do have site reactions, red itchy lumps, but worth it to have little to no progression. Early in treatment I had hair loss for 3 months, but that did stop. Plan to continue this treatment."

Diana1021 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 16, 2015

"I was just diagnosed Nov. 2014. Started on Copaxone 40 mg just a couple of weeks later. I have had all of the typical site reactions with every injection. The worst has been the itching. That of which I have been unable to control with ANYTHING until this last injection. I researched and have used every over the counter remedy. Started looking at the natural remedies for itching. Could not bare to invest any more money. Came across the use of oatmeal for itching (forgot all about that). I had steal cut oats on hand. Ground them into a flour-like texture. Put the ground oatmeal in a cheap knee high stocking, dipped it in hot water, allowed the concoction to drain so that it was not messy but still wet. Apply. AMAZING RELIEF."

Get'er-done January 14, 2015

"Copaxone has been excellent, for me, as far as slow -> minimal progression. I hate injections. However, I much prefer the 20 mg daily injection over the 40 mg 3 x week. I have fewer localized reactions."

Abby's momma (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 17, 2014

"I have been on Copaxone now for 6 weeks. Started on Tecfidera and that was just a horrible experience so switched to Copaxone three times a week. I also encountered an Autoject problem and after one week switched to doing the injection manually. The site reactions are pretty much gone but I do use heat prior and ice post injection to keep whatever reaction occurs to a minimum. I have only been diagnosed for 3 months now but I have so much more energy than I have had for a very long time so my experience has definitely been positive!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 27, 2014

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Diagnosed in '08, been on Copaxone since then. Took me about six months to realize my injection site problems were caused by the auto-injection contraception. I found it not precise enough, needle can go at an odd angle, or too deep and into muscle (those were the worst). Learned to self inject. I go in at a 45 degree angle and inject slowly. Haven't had any injection site problems since. Knick a muscle once in a while, but that's it. It's a different experience for everyone, as you all know. Cut out the salt, take cold showers, and avoid the heat. Haven't tried vitamin D supplements, but sounds like a good idea. Last MRI showed no significant changes (good thing, I'm told.)"

Boston Steve October 2, 2014

"I am 24 with RRMS. My right eye developed optic neuritis Nov of 2011. Officially diagnosed Sept of 2012. Started taking Copaxone a few weeks after diagnoses. Site reaction areas were bad at first but started to diminish after some time. Only other issues I had was around the one year mark but that was due to playing favourites with sites and not rotating properly. After almost 2 years of being on Copaxone I have had no other relapses."

Nick24 (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 4, 2014

"Been on Copaxone 6 months. Injections really do get easy they are almost always pain free and rarely get injection site reactions. I know it's early but I do feel like I have more energy then I have had in the past 4 years since being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Don't let people's horror stories scare you it's really not bad very few people actually have IPIR."

Brad94 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2014

"Took it off and on for 2yrs on the advice of my doctor and because of my age. I was told this was the best option for me. Had terrible deep itching it the injection site and painful welts. After stopping when I was pregnant and restarting symptoms were more pronounced and eventually went into anaphylactic shock. Fell over hit the side of my face and that's when I called it quits. It's been over a year and at this point I am choosing to stay off any of these medications. Not enough evidence to support the pros outweigh the cons."

Carbo32 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 5, 2014

"This medication has greatly reduced my Multiple Sclerosis attacks. It has really helped me in that respect."

ispep1117 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 25, 2014

"Copaxone 40mg, 3x a week: Shared Solutions is a helpline for Copaxone- they are AMAZING. They deal with Insurance (FYI: Anthem Blue Cross covers Copaxone;), pay copay!, send free supplies, send out a nurse to your HOME to teach you about using the auto inject making it super easy, and they have a 24/7 nurse hotline for questions. Its wonderful. Side effects: I really have none. Been using it 3 weeks, I get some little welts sometimes , but use a cold pack after for 15 minutes and that helps a lot. Also, Copaxone 40mg has ONLY a 2% chance of getting an immediate post injection reaction. Odds are, that will NEVER happen. After the first week of taking Copaxone, my foot felt less numb! Let taking injections EMPOWER you! You're taking control!"

LearningToRelax (taken for less than 1 month) May 26, 2014

"Medicine appears to be effective. Injection sites are painful after injection, injection sites must be changed daily. Most approved injection sites can not be reached by user therefore requiring assistance."

katblue3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2014

"Copaxone was working great for over 10 years, until the day came that my injection site reaction went anaphylactic. Not a pleasant experience, especially when health care providers (of which I am/was one) refuse to believe that the only potential exposure agent was Copaxone. I would be willing to give it another try (in a controlled hospital setting with emergency medicines on hand), but my neurologist and PCP won't let me. If you can take it, site reactions are the only problem I ever had, as they only occurred the last year I was on it. Side effects were virtually non-existent compared to the other ABC medicines and the new treatment modalities."

Bohemian Artist (taken for 10 years or more) March 24, 2014