User Reviews for Copaxone

Learn more about Copaxone.

Copaxone review summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.

Reviews for Copaxone to treat Multiple Sclerosis

Review by Boston Steve:

Diagnosed in '08, been on Copaxone since then. Took me about six months to realize my injection site problems were caused by the auto-injection contraception. I found it not precise enough, needle can go at an odd angle, or too deep and into muscle (those were the worst). Learned to self inject. I go in at a 45 degree angle and inject slowly. Haven't had any injection site problems since. Knick a muscle once in a while, but that's it. It's a different experience for everyone, as you all know. Cut out the salt, take cold showers, and avoid the heat. Haven't tried vitamin D supplements, but sounds like a good idea. Last MRI showed no significant changes (good thing, I'm told.)

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 2, 2014 3:22 PM

Review by Nick24 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I am 24 with RRMS. My right eye developed optic neuritis Nov of 2011. Officially diagnosed Sept of 2012. Started taking Copaxone a few weeks after diagnoses. Site reaction areas were bad at first but started to diminish after some time. Only other issues I had was around the one year mark but that was due to playing favourites with sites and not rotating properly. After almost 2 years of being on Copaxone I have had no other relapses.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 4, 2014 11:53 AM

Review by Brad94 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Been on Copaxone 6 months. Injections really do get easy they are almost always pain free and rarely get injection site reactions. I know it's early but I do feel like I have more energy then I have had in the past 4 years since being diagnosed with multiple sclerosis. Don't let people's horror stories scare you it's really not bad very few people actually have IPIR.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2014 12:23 AM

Review by Carbo32 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Took it off and on for 2yrs on the advice of my doctor and because of my age. I was told this was the best option for me. Had terrible deep itching it the injection site and painful welts. After stopping when I was pregnant and restarting symptoms were more pronounced and eventually went into anaphylactic shock. Fell over hit the side of my face and that's when I called it quits. It's been over a year and at this point I am choosing to stay off any of these medications. Not enough evidence to support the pros outweigh the cons.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 5, 2014 8:11 AM

Review by ispep1117 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication has greatly reduced my Multiple Sclerosis attacks. It has really helped me in that respect.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2014 4:32 PM

Review by LearningToRelax (taken for less than 1 month):

Copaxone 40mg, 3x a week: Shared Solutions is a helpline for Copaxone- they are AMAZING. They deal with Insurance (FYI: Anthem Blue Cross covers Copaxone;), pay copay!, send free supplies, send out a nurse to your HOME to teach you about using the auto inject making it super easy, and they have a 24/7 nurse hotline for questions. Its wonderful. Side effects: I really have none. Been using it 3 weeks, I get some little welts sometimes , but use a cold pack after for 15 minutes and that helps a lot. Also, Copaxone 40mg has ONLY a 2% chance of getting an immediate post injection reaction. Odds are, that will NEVER happen. After the first week of taking Copaxone, my foot felt less numb! Let taking injections EMPOWER you! You're taking control!

May 26, 2014 2:51 PM

Review by katblue3 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Medicine appears to be effective. Injection sites are painful after injection, injection sites must be changed daily. Most approved injection sites can not be reached by user therefore requiring assistance.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2014 9:26 AM

Review by Bohemian Artist (taken for 10 years or more):

Copaxone was working great for over 10 years, until the day came that my injection site reaction went anaphylactic. Not a pleasant experience, especially when health care providers (of which I am/was one) refuse to believe that the only potential exposure agent was Copaxone. I would be willing to give it another try (in a controlled hospital setting with emergency medicines on hand), but my neurologist and PCP won't let me. If you can take it, site reactions are the only problem I ever had, as they only occurred the last year I was on it. Side effects were virtually non-existent compared to the other ABC medicines and the new treatment modalities.

March 24, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by Bdg83 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I got diagnosed after numerous tests. I researched it and new I had Multiple Sclerosis, but Neuro just had to keep doing tests for months. I would get double vision about once a month and my stomach and left leg would go numb a lot. Finally was diagnosed and got on Copaxone and zero flare ups for 4 years. I also take multivitamin and 8000 IU of vitamin D per day. Get on Copaxone and take vitamin D if you get diagnosed.

January 4, 2014 1:35 AM

Review by sjfnj (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Copaxone for me was very harsh. Before switching I ended up with almost all side effects.

January 1, 2014 10:40 AM

Review by GreyEyedGirl:

I was diagnosed with MS about 7 years ago and started on Avonex. The side affects were pretty severe for me, but I stuck to it for 18 months. I also formed new lesions and had brain atrophy. I switched to Copaxone over 5 years ago and I have had a much better experience. Copaxone has slowed the progression of the disease and in some areas the myelin has shown repair and regrowth! I have more energy and my balance has come back - I am able to ride my bike with ease again. I was able to stay on Copaxone through out my pregnancy and while I was breast feeding. I did this under the watchful eye of a high risk OB specialist and my neurologist. I was able to remain stable after my son was born with out any relapse. And he is perfect.

November 14, 2013 11:51 AM

Review by TiaNC (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I started Copaxone about six months ago. I had been diagnosed with MS 10 years ago but didn't take anything for it but a giant dose of B vitamins daily. Last December, I had my first real flare up and it was awful. The nuero told me I had no choice now, but to take something. So after researching with my husband, I decided on Copaxone. Do not give up if you just started and are having itchy bumps and stinging when injecting. It really did get better for me. I did have one incident of the chest tightness and anxiety which lasted about three minutes but only once. When I read the side effects from other drugs (Flu like symptoms and hallucinations!) I picked this drug. So far, so good. Neuro thinks I am not progressing at this point.

November 13, 2013 1:48 PM

Review by dawndee (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been on Copaxone for a week, side effects, gives me severe stomach pain, back and side pain and vomiting. I'm going to try and get through it this weekend. If symptoms persist, it will go in the trash and I will have my doc give me something new.

October 5, 2013 2:01 PM

Review by sadermaxx (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on this medicine for about 15 years now with very few flare ups. The down side to this medicine is the injection site but with that aside it has worked well for me.

September 24, 2013 12:24 PM

Review by Mylife1988:

I had Multiple Sclerosis since I was 19. I'm 28 now I got on Copaxone, about 4 years, it took about 8 months seeing results only side effects was palpitations and a little panic attack, it was 2 minutes long but it felt like 20 minutes. That only happened once other then that I get redness around injection site. I like this Medicine because I feel that it has slowed my MS down And I haven't got sick since I feel like I got my life back.

July 25, 2013 4:36 AM

Review by punkysue (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been on Copaxone for almost 10 years. I am very pleased with the results. Its the only medicine I have been on so I can tell you it works for me. Like some of the other reviews I have had a few issues but nothing I can't handle. One episode was after the shot, I had heart palpitations worse then usual. Only lasted a minute or two but felt like 20, soon after vomiting and headache.. slept it off and fine after. In all the years taking Copaxone the heart palpitations happened maybe 6-7 times. So I'm not going to complain. I grew up with an uncle that battled progress stage of Multiple Sclerosis. I wish Copaxone was around before his got to that stage. Thanks shared solutions for making my life easier.

July 16, 2013 6:13 AM

Review by ncnoel:

I've been on Copaxone since January 2012. I was diagnosed Dec. 2011. Copaxone has give me energy to do my daily duties. I still have a day or 2 in bed from time to time. The key to Copaxone working is to keep those D3 vitamin levels up. I go to pain management for combination of degeneration & Multiple Sclerosis pain. Family is a comfort & very needed for the emotional comfort of the disease. You have to balance medicine, family, God, love & friends. All of the above is a prescription to help manage MS more comfortably. Hope this will help others. Copaxone has been a real winner for me.

July 10, 2013 12:54 PM

Review by TishaM:

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis Jan 10, 2012. Since being on Copaxone for one year, I haven't noticed any change in my symptoms. I have noticed they come every three months instead of monthly. Haven't seen a neurologist yet and hope no new lesions. I will say that I have experienced hair loss. I have never had a problem with hair loss other than cutting it off myself, but this has been on-going. At first I had the indentions, but was told by a MS nurse to try getting a massage. And that I have done. I get a massage on a weekly basis and it has taken the indentions away and it relaxes me. I have hope this medicine works for me.

May 29, 2013 10:43 PM

Review by evelyn1964 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

After approx. 1 year of using Copaxone daily injections, my Neurologist is convinced that my Multiple Sclerosis progression has slowed down; if not, stopped progressing all together. My last MRI showed "NO NEW LESIONS", but up until then, my MRI's showed steady progression with "NEW LESIONS" every time. Copaxone has absolutely changed my life and I'm now living instead of just existing, but I'm worried about my recent weight gain (in the last year).

May 17, 2013 11:38 PM

Review by kpp 255 (taken for 10 years or more):

Been on Copaxone for over 10 years, kept me stable and still able to teach dance (but without spins & turns!!). Would not have continued without the shooter from your doctor, makes it quick and easy. Bought a needle clipper from the drug store so I can clip off needle and throw shot in garbage. Great travelling.......no need for a refridgerator for a couple of weeks. Just heard copaxone is coming out with a shot every other day YIPPEE!!!!...

April 2, 2013 12:02 PM

Review by Have faith:

Been on this medicine for almost one month not quite sure if its working 100% yet but I feel quite well. Hands still have tingly feeling, but I'm able to work and walk good just have to keep faith! It does burn as being injected other than that I just pray it works well.

March 28, 2013 4:52 PM

Review by Diver1 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in Dec. 2012. I had no idea why I was becoming unable to function properly anymore from walking to simple things like holding silverware. After receiving the diagnosis, I was relieved, happy, shocked crushed and pissed off. I was familiar with MS as my grandad had it for over 50 yrs. So I knew 1st hand what COULD be my fate. I was given a list of medications and told to study them and choose which one I felt most comfortable with and I chose Copaxone. I have been taking it for about two months now and have NO adverse reactions from it. I do not feel any real difference from it but the directions say that it can take up to 6 months before it begins to make a difference. I hope it does take away the excessive fatigue.

March 24, 2013 5:43 PM

Review by MSgorgeousgeek (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I started Copaxone a couple of months after being diagnosed. At the time of diagnosis I was just getting over a relapse that included numbness on my left side and a phantom turtle-neck feeling. I haven't had any symptoms since then and that was November 2011. I'm pleased with Copaxone this far.

March 23, 2013 11:03 AM

Review by Domenick (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I been on Copaxone for 3 months and I got to say it gives me a lot of energy. I never really had bad flare ups but what I had was very scary to me and so far Copaxone has only gave me a little chest pain and shortness of breath but other than that I trust that Copaxone works. All I can say is stay positive.

March 21, 2013 8:58 PM

Review by Middle ager (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Was diagnosed in 2001 with relapsing remitting Multiple Sclerosis - never had any major flare ups - took Avonex for 5 years - didn't notice any real difference - went on to Copaxone 5 years ago. What a revelation - major difference is it took my tiredness away. Painful injection and one incidence of 'heart attack that wasn't' worth it for the lack of fatigue. Can now work full time - walk miles etc.

March 6, 2013 4:38 AM