User Reviews for Ampyra

Learn more about Ampyra.

Ampyra Review Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.

Reviews for Ampyra to treat Multiple Sclerosis

"2 days on Ampyra and already noting difference. As I get close to the end of the 12 hours, I do see a lessening of benefits, and I have also experienced the vertigo while lying down. But overall, I am looking forward to seeing how much my walking and standing improve."

Diana1021 May 16, 2015

"I was diagnosed with MS 2006. I found myself with a loss of balance. I fell so much at my work I gave my co workers at the gym score card as to how I fell. I have a sense of humor which helps me get through this new found life. My dr told me about ampyra after I started taking this drug my falls decreased. We haven't had to score any of my falls in over a year."

megaw (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 9, 2015

"Ampyra has been great for me. One of the biggest improvements is that I can stand up for longer periods of time. Before, I got tired and had to sit within 5 or so minutes. Now I can stand longer. My legs don't feel quite so heavy and my foot drop is better. A couple of times, by accident, I have missed taking my medicine and the change was very evident. When I got back on schedule, again I was much better. I am so glad to have this medication!"

Jiggles March 24, 2015

"I've been on Amprya almost a year and still able to walk a short distance without assistance. Maybe 3 steps but its better then not moving."

carla jean speciale (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 26, 2015

"I have been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis for 17 years. I started Ampyra 3 years ago and since then I am more stable. I walk a little bit faster and get a lot more done in a day. Right after I started Ampyra I was able to snowboard with my kids, something I never thought would have been possible."

Junae (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 28, 2015

"I was diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis in 1988. Since I started taking AMPYRA (8/2013), I have experienced marked improvement in cognition, speech, diaphragm and core muscle strength. These gains were accomplished with the help of P.T. and O.T. professionals and continuous improvement efforts on my part (range of motion and exercise). Benchmarking and goal setting has helped me recognize the drastic changes taking place. Specifically, hand and finger dexterity, arm and shoulder range of motion, trunk stability, legs, feet and overall muscle regeneration after years of chronic deconditioning. The results are readily apparent to my Physicians, family, care team, friends."

aCHILLD January 3, 2015

"My experience with Ampyra is... really great. I love the medicine because even when I don't want to walk I walk fast."

Liza Jenkins (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 26, 2014

"It has definitely helped majorly with my arm function, my husband can tell and I can too, if I have no pills left or haven't taken them, my arms go around a little like gummy then. When I did a lot of walking, didn't care how fast I was, just happy to even be able to do it."

mommy of 5 August 12, 2014

"I love Ampyra. I have been taking Ampyra for 3 months I feel much stronger I'm back going to the gym every morning for 2 hours."

ciccioi July 15, 2014

"Started taking 3-4 yrs ago in early 50's while transitioning from RR into SP. Early on saw subtle improvement with only mild constipation, but was unable to go without AFO. Past year in SP, balance and gait worsened where use AFO & cane fulltime. Decided a month ago to stop taking. Balance much better. Gait seems unaffected. Living with SP is definitely different from RR."

K-man (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 8, 2014

"Doctor said I was headed for a wheelchair but now I hardly get asked 'what happened to your foot?' . If I concentrate while I'm walking, I can almost look like nothing is even wrong. Plus, I haven't fallen in over 6 months."

MonsterSlayer (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 20, 2014

"This med is a wonder drug for me. I saw a difference in my walking speed w/in 2 weeks with only the 10mg use. As I moved up to the full 20mg daily I found I had more energy, didn't need my daily nap and even have done some light gardening. Last night I walked down a 3 story spiral staircase when leaving a concert (holding on to the rail and holding hands with my husband). My ONY negative is with the "Speciality" pharma which we are forced to use. (No choice they are the only pharma for this med.) Accredo is enough of a hassle (even for my MS renowned DR), I may stop if I have to deal with them monthly. Don't be afraid of the seizures warning in the info. W/ the time release pill it seems not to be an issue if take correctly."

YLGram October 19, 2013

"I feel that my legs are a bit stronger on this medication. It's great to feel a bit more confident when walking."

militarymama (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 3, 2013

"Ampyra has been a Godsend for me! Before I started taking it, I was a "wall-walker". I always had to hold onto a wall before I took a step. Now I am walking without assistance. I saw improvement after my second dose. Now I am exercising again which makes me feel so much better-mentally and physically. I was 51 before I was diagnosed and not being able to walk made my life miserable. Now, I feel like I am more of a "normal" person than I have been in 20 years! Thanks Ampyra!"

national champs (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 10, 2013

"Was having increasing difficulty with my left leg (drop foot, dragging, fatigue especially when on hills) and my left arm (typing characters out of order, weakness). Yes, I have Multiple Sclerosis. Took my first dose 3 days ago. Began to feel improvement within two doses, but thought it was a placebo effect. By the next day was I walking hills with ease, only muscle soreness (after) and a bit winded (during), but none of the neurological issues! I could also feel the medicine's effect begin to diminish about the 10th hour after a dose."

JimDadTwo (taken for less than 1 month) June 10, 2013

"RRMS for 3 years. Started Amphrya 1 week ago and saw results on first day! Truly amazing that I can feel all the way to my toes in my weaker left leg! I am so encouraged by this pill. I have had absolutely no side effects. Still only taking 1 pill per day since its been only 1 week. Please give this a try, I wish I would have and not waited 3 years."

Nikman April 20, 2013

"I have had some minor side effects but nothing serious. I used to use a foot brace and cane, but once the medicine kicked in I put them both away and haven't needed them since. This medicine is a God send, and I hope it will work for you too."

stella rondo (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 20, 2013

"I have been on Ampyra for 4 days and I can't remember the last time I felt this good. Left leg is working better, can stand for longer periods of time, and I think that is just the beginning. Like others, I am going to start retraining my body to get back to normal as much as I can. Going back to Mayo tomorrow to have strength retested for before and after. I am part of a study going on. Drug company is contributing to keep my copay to a minimum."

PositivelyMS (taken for less than 1 month) January 22, 2013

"I started Ampyra five weeks ago. The first full day I was miserable with nausea but over the next few days the nausea lessened. Three weeks into taking it I realized that I wasn't tripping anymore and my right leg footdrop was all but gone. Now I'm trying to strengthen my leg muscles and walking on the treadmill and riding the exercise bike everyday. I've had RRMS for 17 years. Four years ago I was easily walking three miles a day without any problems, but over those last few years I was weakening, tripping, falling. I couldn't even walk a half mile. I was in a leg brace and using a cane frequently. Just seeing a set of stairs I was going to have to climb put me "over the edge". Now I'm going up the stairs and starting to walk much better."

Djlillz January 16, 2013

"I have been taking this medicine for a year now, and it works great for me. I have relapsing-remitting MS, and I experience balance and coordination issues while walking (among other things). The FIRST time I took this (10mg extended release tablet) I noticed an immediate improvement in my ability to walk. All of a sudden, I was dashing up the stairs, which normally gave me trouble. I'm able to walk most of the time without my cane now! I have also noticed better bladder control. I know it is not a cure, but it greatly helps my MS symptoms. Ampyra has been a great blessing."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 22, 2012

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"On Ampyra for over a year with no real benefit."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 23, 2012

"This medicine leaves me feeling exceptionally dizzy and off balance. After seven months it is doing nothing to help me walk."

Anonymous June 14, 2012

"I still use a scooter. But, I've had MS almost 40 years. Able to do physical therapy, stand. Much greater energy, significant lessening of my horrible fatigue, improved bowel. Effect leaves soon after the end of the dosage period. My husband loves how it's improved the quality of both our lives."

Lhalvor (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 9, 2012

"Caused constipation, but the medicine has definitely increased the quality of life. I have been on it for 6 months and it is as good today as that first couple weeks."

Anonymous April 1, 2012

"I have had amazing results with Ampyra. I was relying on a walker more and more often because of leg weakness. Within two days of starting the medication; I was back to a cane and not even full time. After two weeks; I can now stand on my own for 4-5 minutes and can walk much faster without foot drop. The only reason I didn't give it a 10 out of 10 is because of mild side effects (nausea and headache)."

Anonymous November 11, 2011