User Reviews for Tysabri

Learn more about Tysabri.

Tysabri Rating Summary

8.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 67 medications used in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.

Reviews for Tysabri to treat Multiple Sclerosis

"I was first diagnosed with MS in 2006. I have tried Rebif, Betaseron, Copaxone, Avonex & lastly Cytoxen (which is chemo). I am now 47. I have been on Tysabri for 6 years. Tysabri has quite literally saved my life. My peripheral vision is gone due to prior MS flares, but my flares are non-existent now. Since I have been on the drug so long my greatest side effect of infusion seems to be fatigue for a day or 2 after infusion. During infusion I am also given IV Benadryl & anti-nausea medication. My MRI's have come back clean...no demyelination. If previous MRI's and spinal taps did not show positive proof of disease I would like to believe I was cured. I do have neuropathy. I don't walk as fast as most and I jumble words. I am JC NEG"

Lainie S (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 6, 2016

"I was diagnosed with RRMS 1992 while on deployment in Africa. Returned back to the states and had an MRI done to positively identify the MS. Done, was discharged from the Navy 1994. I then started Bataseron 1995 after having repeated relapses. Stayed with that for a few yeas then switched to Avonex, again stayed with that for a few years and switched to Rebif which was okay but began finding it hard to find inject points on my body. Then switched to Copaxone for a short time and it was determined that I was allergic to the drug so one more time. In 2008, I started Tysabri and am still on it. The infusions are not a big deal because I am self-employed. Do I feel like my old self, can%u2019t remember what that was like however I still Scuba dive,"

Patmus January 1, 2016

"After 5 infusions, I have developed nucleated red blood cells. I am now waiting to hear what the neurologist has to say, but as this is a rare but documented side effect, I am done with Tysabri. This was my first medication, and I am loath to try another. Quality of life has got to be a better option than all of these chemicals that will just make me sick."

Wiselady39 December 20, 2015

"I first wrote a year ago. I am now thousands in debt due to the freq cut off of benefits from organizations that give grants. I am not informed when the cut off payments. So I owe thousands, why don't the infusion centers notify patients when they have no funding. I have had nothing but severe pain in my joints. Severe rashes, sores, etc. I can't stand how I feel. I was over $200,000 in ACTH this last year. How can I afford to raise my family when I am denied all help. Who is getting all this money. I have been a coma for over 8 times this last year. Twice on life support. 8 cases of sepsis. I have no family, just two handicap children that I adopted. I can't believe Drs would do this to patients."

FindingHannah (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 20, 2015

"Unable to move or function any part of my body properly. "

olisa pierce December 15, 2015

"After being diagnosed with MS I started on rebif injections which I continued with for a year and a half. I spent six days of the week with flu like symptoms. To be on rebif I had to stop taking warfarin which I need to help with another condition. 7.5 years ago I was switched to tysabri so I could once again take warfarin at the same time. That was the best thing that happened. I'm no longer feeling dreadful for the majority of the week and in fact suffer no symptoms. I'm fortunate that I'm jc negative and that the government here covers the cost of my infusions and best of all had no flare ups since I started on tysabri."

Sades December 11, 2015

"I felt like normal again!"

Mandark80 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 30, 2015

"I was on Tysabri for 103 Infusions, almost 8 1/2 years. I was diagnosed in 2002. Copaxone first with reactions, then used rebiff for 4 yrs. Helped alot while it was working, then it stopped in 2006. Started Tysabri. The Best MS Medicine! I Loved It! I am Going to Miss having No Symptoms, Side Effects or Flare Ups. I just talked with Doctor going to try Gilenya, in 2 Months after Solulmedule. Keep "

Lelamarie73 October 24, 2015

"Not good and not bad. Yet. Only one infusion until next week will be #2. Having a few new problems with urinary tract and hypersensitivity."

humminnbrd80gmail.com (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 25, 2015

"I was diagnosed with RRMS in Nov 2008 (age 16). I started out with Rebif and took that for a 2 years. I found that to be too painful so I stopped taking and medication all together. In May 2012 I tried gilenya, I was on that for about 4 months in which I had 5 relapses in those 4 months. My neuro decided to have me try Tysabri. I have been on it for 3 years and next month it will be 3 years since I have had a relapse. I do feel tired and dizzy when it is hot out though."

KatieJo21 August 14, 2015

"I've been on tysabri since January 2008 and have not had any flair ups. It's even better that they can now test for the virus that causes the rare brain infection, which I don't carry. Benefit I like is its done every 28days so I don't worry about missing a dose or giving myself a shot. It usually takes about 3hours for the infusion. Only negative about tysabri is the cost. I'm on social security disability and after Medicare's payments I'm left with a bill for medicine and infusion of close to $1200 every 28days."

Dhbeck (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 30, 2015

"I am 47 years old. I was diagnosed with MS in March 2013. Was started on Tysabri in August 2014 as I had a relapse while I was on gilenya in June 2014. The year I was on tysabri was the most awful year in my life. I had increasing fatigue, on & off weakness in my arms and my legs. Had pain in my knees which became severe and progressive in the last 2 months. I have been off work for 2 months now, I only walk inside the house but rarely outside, I had to stay away from all social commitments in the last 2 months."

EH1609 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 24, 2015

"Tysabri has been a life send for me. I have been on it since 2009 and its now 2015. Was dignosed in 2004. We can count back now to where my symptoms were started when I was in 1st grade, so it has taken me a long time to get it under control, been thru lots if not all of the medications nothing worked but tysabri. My lesions on my brain are beginning to shrink."

mser (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 1, 2015

"I was diagnosed with MS in 96 and was put on Betaseron. Moved on from that to Avonex, Rebif, Copaxone, and Avonex again. In 2010, I experienced a severe flare up involving complete paralysis on my right side. Obviously the Avonex was doing nothing and my neurologist suggested Tysabri. At that point, I really didn't care about the side effects. All I wanted was some semblance of my life back. As it turned out, Tysabri is and was a miracle drug. I regained the use of my right side, was able to return to work as a state trooper, and eventually retire."

Thankful for tysabri (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 29, 2015

"I just had my 4th infusion. Since the previous one and this past one, I have been extremely fatigued. Can't seem to do anything for any period of time. Have trouble sleeping due to a strange feeling I get in my chest (feels like my pulse is jumping out of my chest, no pain, just a very weird feeling). I was hoping this Tysabri was going to help me, but it hasn't. :("

Aura218 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 14, 2015

"I was diagnosed with MS is 2014 not long after I had optic neuritis in my left eye. The neuro opthamogist misdiagnosed the optic neuritis as a mini stroke. So sad too bad but you are blind in your left eye. It took a hospital stay of a week before a neurologist finally got suspicious and ordered several tests, mostly MRIs and a spinal test before confirmed. The problem was I was a 68 year old male, very fit from playing tennis 4 days a week and working as a pilot. I was on two medications, copaxone followed by techfadera . I failed on both as I had more symptoms and more lesions on the brain. i am now on tysabri , am positive for the JC virus , monitored but doing tremendous. A wonder drug. I prefer quality of life versus quantity."

Flyer man (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

"I have been on only 3 types of medications for MS and this (Tysabri) is the best of the 3. I have been on it since June 2010 and have had no ill side effects! I started this medication with a different Dr but once I became JC positive he wanted me to switch to a different medication. I was not happy with the choices he gave me and he was very adamant that I needed to change medications. I did some research about another MS Clinic and made an appointment there. My Dr now is still very careful with me and keeps taking blood tests every 3 months to monitor my JC number. Last month my number was .65 and as long as it stays below 1.5 he is Ok with me taking it. This medication makes me able to be my husband care taker!"

MS for 23 years (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 14, 2015

"I am 24 years old and have been on Tysabri for about a year, after Rebif did not work for me. I have zero symptoms while on Tysabri. Infusion is easy and only once a month, and I went LESION FREE while on it! The ONLY reason it's not a 10 is because of the black box label for PML. This was such a stresser for me even though I was JC negative...until now. I am going off of it because I am now positive and will be switching to a new medicine, which I'm still debating on. Overall I say if you're JC negative, it is an amazing medicine."

El_beebee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 8, 2014

"The disease modifying medications had no effect on my Multiple Sclerosis. Tysabri stabalized the progression but saw no improvement."

DaleAlan (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 5, 2014

"I am on my third dose of Tysabri. I did poorly on Avonex, and my neurologist has been hesitant to place me on the other Multiple Sclerosis medicines due to the serious side effects of the Avonex. I developed sepsis 10 times in 2 years. So when I was admitted to the hospital and transferred to ICU twice in 2 months due to MS we decided to try Tysabri. The side effects have been difficult to say the least. Terrible urinary tract infections, headaches, ringing of the ears, anxiety, and depression. I am JCV positive so in fairness the anxiety may be due to fear of the PML virus. I am scheduled to have lab work after the next infusion and will make a decision on continuing therapy."

Findinghanna (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2014

"I'm doing good on it. No relapse in years and hope it stays like that!"

babygirlnbooboo May 22, 2014

"After the misery of interferon, Tysabri got me ambulatory again and has kept me walking for ten years."

MsSJ March 15, 2014

"Avonex stopped working for my mom around 2006, and her quality of life was quickly deteriorating. She was using a walker and her neurologist suggested Tysabri. After discussing the severe and rare side effects, such as Progressive Multifocal Leukoencephalopathy (PML), she and my stepfather decided to go for it. She took Tysabri for just over 4 years before we started noticing signs of decline in speech and motor function. In January 2011, it was confirmed she had PML. The doctors told us she had 3 weeks to 3 months, but we had her for 8 months (and one more birthday) before she passed away in October 2011 at the age of 53. Tysabri gave her a better quality of life for longer than she could have hoped without it."

Amichaelv (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2014

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was diagnosed in 2010. Tried Copaxone & Avonex. They caused allergic reactions. Started Tysabri in March 2012. I haven't had any new lesions. I get tired and bad headaches after infusions. The cost is getting to be to much, even with my insurance from my employer & the assistance program from Tysabri. "

ashes4tre January 12, 2014

"I was taken off tysabri when my original consultant left the hospital. After 5 years of better quality of life I now experience some nasty side effects after coming off the drug. Terrible rashes m.s symptoms returning ie dizziness, fatigue, coordination problems to name a few. Feel pretty rubbish to be honest. Consultant said couldnt justify script as scans had no changes. And was concerned about PML risk. I accept the risk, always have. Surely scans indicate drug doing what is expected? Am stuck now, what is available for me to try? Cost a big deciding factor!"

Lindsey McGrath (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 19, 2013