User Reviews for Betaseron

Learn more about Betaseron.

Betaseron review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 60 medications used in the treatment of Multiple Sclerosis.

Reviews for Betaseron to treat Multiple Sclerosis

Review by sjfnj (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I still have some side effects from the medication. But they are much better than the last medication. One blue black discoloration from one injection, Occasional headache, Hypertension, Occasionally speaking problems, Occasionally vomiting, Decreased sexual ability

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2014 10:55 AM

Review by Red AJ:

First diagnosed with MS in 2000 and started Betaseron then great results. Had mild side effects, including temporary flu like symptoms and sore injection sites, but that was all. Since the flare up that led to my diagnosis, I have only had 5 flares that I knew were flare ups, with only 1 being a more moderate flare up with similar symptoms as the one that got me diagnosed.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2013 10:34 PM

Review by abenson:

I was on Betaseron for 1 yr before finally deciding to try something else. It was effective in the fact that I had no new lesions while taking the medication. However, I experienced flu-like symptoms after each injection, including headaches, body aches, fever, and chills. I didn't want to give up on it because everything I read said that this was a temporary side effect. Anyway, after a year of staying tired and feeling terrible from the medication, not from the Multiple Sclerosis, I decided to move on.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2013 4:37 PM

Review by top dog:

I have had MS since 1996 - diagnosed at the age of 49. My MS is very mild compared to my older sister who was diagnosed around 1970 and needs assistance to walk. I have been on Betaseron for 14 years and other than initial flu-like symptoms, have tolerated it very well. However, the key to avoiding the symptoms is to keep Tylenol or some other pain relief medication in my system. In 14 years, I have only had 3 relapses, and Betaseron has slowed the progression of my MS and lessened the severity of relapses. The one side effect I am experiencing is injection site reactions that leave the area red, sore and over time have caused muscle atrophy in my arms and buttocks. Even so, I would still recommend Betaseron to anyone with relapsing-remitting MS.

May 29, 2010 5:46 PM

Review by MS.Survivor:

I've been on all interferons for multiple sclerosis. My experience being on them may not become yours. I became depressive, in part because of knowing I had MS, but then again knowing answered much of my questions. It's hard for doctors to recognize these changes when they don't see you in your everyday environment. It is important to discuss probable mood swings with your doctor. State of mind is state of health, and being down in the dumps doesn't help MS progression. I know many people who are on interferons and do well. If I had my choice of the three available interferons it would be this one to start with. Presently, I'm not on any medicine and have 3 new lesions in the brain. Please remember, my experience is not a forgone conclusion.

June 26, 2009 9:49 PM