Atrial Fibrillation - Stroke Prevention Guidelines & Treatment Options
Atrial Fibrillation and Stroke Prevention: The Basics
AF Sounds Serious: Is It Common?
What Factors Put Me at A Higher Risk for Getting AF?
Tell Me More About AF Symptoms
Why Does AF Lead to a Higher Risk for a Stroke?
How is AF Diagnosed?
AF Treatment: The Basics
Warfarin for Stroke Prevention in AF: Benefits and Risks
Other Treatments for Stroke Prevention in AF
In patients with non-valvular AF who are at risk for stroke, using an oral anticoagulant therapy, such as warfarin or the novel agents, is likely more effective than using aspirin plus clopidogrel (Plavix), but the bleeding risk may be slightly higher.
New Guidelines for Stroke Prevention in Non-Valvular AF
How Do Risk Factors Affect Treatment Choice in AF?
Novel Oral Anticoagulants: Dabigatran (Pradaxa)
Take Note: Pradaxa Dosing and Storage
Novel Oral Anticoagulants: Rivaroxaban (Xarelto)
Novel Oral Anticoagulants: Apixaban (Eliquis)
Antidotes for Newer Oral Anticoagulants
Patients with Prosthetic Heart Valves
Cost Concerns with Novel Anticoagulants
Finished: Atrial Fibrillation - Stroke Prevention Guidelines & Treatment Options
- American Academy of Neurology. Summary of Evidence-Based Guidelines for Clinicians. Prevention of Stroke in Nonvalvular Atrial Fibrillation. 2014. Accessed May 9, 2014 at https://www.aan.com/Guidelines/Home/GetGuidelineContent/635
- Dentali F et al. Efficacy and safety of the novel oral anticoagulants in atrial fibrillation: a systematic review and meta-analysis of the literature. Circulation. 2012;126:2381-91
- Granger CB et al. Apixaban versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med. 2011;365:981-92
- Patel MR et al. Rivaroxaban versus warfarin in nonvalvular atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med. 2011;365:883-91
- Boehringer Ingelheim Inc. Press Release. Setting the Record Straight: The Facts about Pradaxa (dabigatran etexilate mesylate). February 13, 2014. Accessed March 1, 2014 at http://us.boehringer-ingelheim.com/news_events/press_releases/press_release_archive/2014/02-13-2014-setting-the-record-straight-facts-pradaxa-dabigatran-etexilate-mesylate.html
- Connolly SJ et al; RE-LY Steering Committee and Investigators. Dabigatran versus warfarin in patients with atrial fibrillation. N Engl J Med. 2009;361:1139-51
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Division for Heart Disease and Stroke Prevention. Atrial Fibrillation Fact Sheet. Accessed March 2, 2014 at http://www.cdc.gov/dhdsp/data_statistics/fact_sheets/fs_atrial_fibrillation.htm.
- CardioSmart. American College of Cardiology. Atrial Fibrillation Guidelines 2014. Accessed April 9, 2014 at https://www.cardiosmart.org/Heart-Conditions/Guidelines/Atrial-Fibrillation-Guidelines-2014