User Reviews for Propafenone

Also known as: Rythmol, Rythmol SR

Learn more about Propafenone.

Propafenone Review Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 57 medications used in the treatment of Atrial Fibrillation.

Reviews for Propafenone to treat Atrial Fibrillation

"I'm a female age 58 diagnosed with AFIB last year.I was placed on Propafenone HCL 150 MG 3 times daily for 12 months along with Losartan 100mg 1 time daily. I'm 5'7" 165 lbs good health except for the AFIB... About 3 months ago I became very aware of more frequent/recurrent AFIB, Change in speech, noticeable hair loss, occasional tiredness/insomnia/hand tremors and weight gain. After thorough research however, I realized these symptoms are all side effects of Propafenone!!! It is frightening to realize that this medication can actually be worse than the diagnosis of AFIB and the chemicals in these pills, very toxic to our bodies!! I was given a 24* Halter Monitor showing Scant Mitral Valve Disorder. I ONLY take 2 IF I feel an AFIB episode"

Breathing Easier (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 22, 2015

"Have been on it for a year and a half for chronic a-fib. I have had an ablasion but it did not work and am taking propafenone again until my next ablasion. YES I am very tired in the afternoon. and bet headaches at times. I am controlled most of the time on this drug but still have breakthrough a-fib at times. I take 300mg twice a day."

Mrs.Magee June 11, 2015

"I have been taking this medication for a number of years but only when I was actually experiencing Afib. At 68 the Afib episodes became much more frequent and of longer duration. My cardiologist advised me to double my dose to 225mg twice daily and put me on a blood thinner but Propafenone is not working. Episodes are even longer and more distressing. I go back to the cardiologist tomorrow,"

Geoffreyh June 9, 2015

"I have three stents and a pacemaker. Heart guys say that I experienced a heart attack! My feeling is that I have had much worse hang-overs! There is a definite arrhythmia displayed on my printouts. I absolutely refuse to take rat poison as a medication as I believe that it contributed greatly to my parents death. I have been using Propafenone 225mg for almost three years at the rate of 1 pill in the AM and one in the evening. My heart rate and rhythm are next to perfect as displayed by the pacemaker printout. I do not experience afternoon sleepiness unless I have eaten earlier! I am 74 years old and retired military. Carry-on!"

Rainproof (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 5, 2015

"Had an irregular heartbeat a month ago. Not a rapid heartbeat but several normal beats follwed every 30 seconds or so with several faster heartbeats. This would repeat again. Dr. diagnosed me with A-fib. Placed me on Propafenone 150 Mg 3x a day. Have not had another episode but the medicine makes me very sleepy in the afternoon. Hopefully my body will adapt and this will go away. Has anyone else had the same side effect? Would appreciate a reply."

Buddy Mac (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 12, 2015

"Started having a few a-fib attacks a couple of years ago. I'm 77 and still very active. My cardiologist put me on Multaq 2 x/day and this seemed to work until a few months ago when I had several more attacks. Now am on propafenone 2 x/day and have had only one episode recently. My triggers are dehydration, stress (my husband has dementia) and caffeine. When I feel an attack coming on, I take four 5mg Valium tablets, 500 mg of magnesium and 2 adult aspirin. My Dr. has approved of this regime as I then go to sleep and when I wake up 4-5 hours later, I feel like a million bucks. So far so good. I do have a metallic taste in my mouth but I suck on Tic-Tacs and that helps. Oh, and deep breathing and relaxing tense muscles also helps. "

renolady December 20, 2014

"I have been on this for almost 6 years due to atrial fibrillation and am a 49 year old male. I honestly can't tell if I have had any episodes of atrial fibrillation since being placed on this medicine but do remember feelings of anxiety in bed a handful of times. I take two doses per day and am also on Metoprolol that I take in the morning. One thing that struck me when I was first placed on this med back then was the doctor saying that one day it won't work anymore. So far to good but I am also concerned about the long term use but I guess it's the best option right now."

Charlestex (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 29, 2014

"I'm a 29 yo male who has had Supra Ventricular Tachycardia since I was 22. I've been on metoprolol ever since I was diagnosed. Over the past year I started having episodes of Atrial fibrillation, right when I started medical school. I was hesitant about an ablation, so my doc tried 150mg Propafenone every 8hr and it's been helping! I still take the metoprolol, but at a lower dose (to prevent 1:1 conduction), and it works great. I still get anxiety occasionally at night when I lay down and feel my heartbeat, but that's only because I was used to it happening every night. I'll probably still get the ablation, but I'm in no rush!"

medstudentafib (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 16, 2014

"Been on propafenone SR for 1 year. Prior, I had 3 Atrial fibrillation episodes, 2 needing cardioversion. One chemically converted 10 minutes prior while they were hooking me up. After that, they prescribed 225 SR 2x a day. No atrial fibrillation since. Also, I would get as many as 5 or 10 PVC's a minute, sometimes every 2nd or 3rd beat. With this medicine this is down to 10-20 per day, mostly not even noticeable. Although the atrial fibrillation is the main reason for the medicine, I actually find the lack of PVC's to be the most beneficial - reducing anxiety. Before the medicine, I was totally preoccupied with my heart rhythm. After the medicine, I feel 10 years younger."

Anonymous February 6, 2014

Rythmol (propafenone): "Have had atrial fibrillation for 25 years. Tried a number a medicines and was on amiodarone for a few years but had to stop. Decided to give Rythmol a try, and have used it for more than 15 years. Have not had a noticeable attack of atrial fibrillation for many years, although I did land in emergency for another arrhythmia last year. This has been a life saver for me. Supply is getting to be an issue though."

Grw57 (taken for 10 years or more) November 28, 2013

Rythmol SR (propafenone): "I've been on Rythmol 225 SR twice a day for over 8 years. My instances of Atrial Fibrillation are once or twice in a 6-month period. I am happy with the way it works!"

SXD (taken for 10 years or more) June 2, 2013

Rythmol SR (propafenone): "Had a miserable life for 15 yrs of waiting for my heart to go out of rhythm and in to the emergency room. Rythmal has changed my life, I experience a flutter here and there but no total outs, my anxiety has decreased as well."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 26, 2012

"I am a 67 year old female who was diagnosed with A-Fib and put on Rythmol in 1996. (Yes, I've been on it for 16 years). The doctor was about to do an ablation but decided to try Rythmol first. It put me back in rhythm and I did not have to have the ablation. I have since learned my triggers and try to avoid them. I've had 2 episodes worth mentioning in all this time. Once I became very overheated and once I had a shot of cortisone in both knees. I take 225 mg of propafenone every 8 hours (6, 2, and 10). It is a nuisance sometimes, but well worth the payoff. I sometimes even forget that I am a "heart patient"."

gjb20 April 21, 2012

"I was on Toprol XL for many years and one day it just stopped working. I had a procedure and things got worse. I started on Propafenone my heart is doing much better but I have a bad taste in my mouth that is better than heart problems. I also seem to have difficulty breathing. It is like I am to tired to breathe but I am hoping that feeling goes away because it is wonderful to have my heart beating regular."

Anonymous January 19, 2012

Rythmol (propafenone): "I've been on Rythmol for Atrial Fibrillation for about 6 months. Initially, it wasn't working too well. I'd be in rhythm for a few days and go out for a day or more. After a few months of this I asked my Cardiologist if he could suggest another anti-arrhythmia drug but he suggested we give Rythmol more time. He increased my dosage gradually until I was taking the maximum dose, two 150mg tablets 3 times a day. I have been in rhythm for over two months now and I never had any side effects so I am very satisfied at this point."

Paul H August 13, 2011

Rythmol SR (propafenone): "I'm a 58 year old male. I have taken Rhythmol for a year. I started having many different heart rhythms after having an implant for ASD. Every night I would sleep sitting up, could not work effectively, and was worried if this would eventually kill me. In a year I have had not one skip or erratic heart beat. This medicine is amazing and I feel wonderful. It does give you a metallic taste but it's a small price to pay."

itherni June 18, 2011

Rythmol (propafenone): "Rythmol caused my blood pressure and pulse to drop dangerously low. I was admitted in hospital for two days. "

Anonymous April 29, 2011

Rythmol SR (propafenone): "I have been on Rythmol 425 for 9 months. It seems to have controlled my atrial fibrillation as I know of only a couple occurrences since I started the Rythmol. Side effects have diminished but still have bouts of fatigue and constipation. This medicine seems to be okay but I hate taking something continuously at 51 years old."

Anonymous December 5, 2010

"Been taking this medicine for over a year and still have episodes of Atrial fibrillation that knock me off my feet and into bed at times."

kerry 58 November 2, 2010

Rythmol SR (propafenone): "Rythmol 325mg twice daily is my life saver after trying 3 others over past 8 years with 6 cardioversions."

Anonymous August 7, 2010

"Second time that I have used this medicine. Had great success with Atrial fibrillation attack, lasted only 7 hours with no side effects."

ffordccw June 24, 2010

Rythmol SR (propafenone): "Atrial fibrillation onset 1997... have had 6 cardioversions since drugs would not convert to sinus rhythm. Started 325mg Rythmol SR 2x a day after last cardioversion (March 2007). Stopped drinking alcohol, and haven't had an episode since."

walkmann March 25, 2010

Rythmol SR (propafenone): "My husband has been using this medicine (225 mg) for nearly 2 years now. No side effects, but still has an episode at least 1 to 2 times a month. His regular Doctor doesn't seem to know much about Rythmol, so thought about taking him to a specialist now that I read your other comments."

Anonymous September 18, 2009

Rythmol SR (propafenone): "I am a 64 year old male and have been using Rythmol since January 05. I started with the standard Rythmol 150mg 3 times a day. This was inconvenient so my doctor put me on Rythmol SR 225mg twice a day and I have been on this regimen for three years with absolutely no side effects and no recurrence of Atrial Fibrillation. My concern is long term effect. I am at 4 1/2 years on Rythmol and see one person on this site with 13 years. I would like ot know if there are any other long term users and what their results are. Do I need to try ablation?"

tmn3006 August 6, 2009

Rythmol SR (propafenone): "Since starting Rythmol SR 425 2.5 years ago, the percentage of time in atrial fibrillation has dropped from over 20% to under 3%. Absolutely no side effects. Glad I have insurance though and pay $120 for a 90 day supply, rather than over $1,000."

Anonymous August 5, 2009