User Reviews for Sotalol

Also known as: Betapace, Betapace AF, Sorine, Sotalol Hydrochloride AF, Sotylize

Learn more about Sotalol.

Sotalol Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 57 medications used in the treatment of Atrial Fibrillation.

Reviews for Sotalol to treat Atrial Fibrillation

"In 2009 I had first paroxysmal Af within a week another episode....was put on sotalol 40 mg twice daily...now I am 37 and after 5 years of continuing sotalol I never had an episode...I workout for almost 2 hours weight training days weekly and this drug even worked as a SOS in times I felt that I am about to have AF...still continuing sotalol thank you"

Baichitra June 9, 2015

"I'm 52 years old, I've had AF for 10 years. Completed an ablation surgery, and had no AF for 2.75 years, then it came back with 4 bouts in less than two weeks. Was put on Sotal 1 week ago, other than lightheadedness when standing I have had no side effects. Works well no AF(120mg), I will follow up with another review in one year."

VancouverWATrent May 27, 2015

"Sotalol 80mg x2 stopped my atrial fibrillation (AF), but left my heart rate in the 40's and I had less stamina than when I was in AF. My EP decided on adding a pacemaker to keep my pulse at 60 or higher and I feel like I am 20 years younger. I am very active and my AF has not returned. The pacemaker records everything that happens to my heart and is read remotely by the EP every couple of months or so. There has been no incidents of AF, and very few PAC's or PVC's. Sotalol with a pacemaker has been a wonderful solution to my AF, and I would suggest people who are struggling with sotalol ask their doctor about a pacemaker to increase their pulse rate."

Fyreman235 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2014

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Sotalol Hydrochloride AF (sotalol): "I have had intermittent Atrial Fibrillation on and off for 30 years. Tried cardiac ablation in 2007, but didn't seem to help. I now take 120mg twice a day and it keeps it in check without side effects. Does not slow me down and I work out frequently and have great fitness. Tried lowering it to 60 or 80mg but then the AF came back. First tried Atenolol but did not like the side effects, it slowed me down and affected sex life. Sotalol slows my heart rate down to 50 beats resting, but does not slow me down in general. Have not had an AF episode in 18 months since going to 120mgs twice per day."

Jimmydew (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 22, 2013

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Sotalol Hydrochloride AF (sotalol): "About 2 years ago when I was admitted to the hospital with a severe attack of atrial fibrillation, the Dr. put me on 80mg twice a day and this worked well until I had a severe attack and my dosage was increased to 120mg at night and 80 mg in the morning. This has worked excellent since them. I also have multiple health problems and take multiple medications and there has been no bad side effects from the sotalol."

Pat G. January 19, 2013

"The controlled application at St.Joe's Hospital did a wonder for me. It put my heart rate back to normal within hours. Not only did it put me back to lead my normal active live, it also will allow us (my family and myself) to carry out our planned trip to Europe (June/July 2012) in relative safety."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2012

Sotalol Hydrochloride AF (sotalol): "I had a pacemaker installed in December 2006 for a very slow heart rate but had constant Atrial fibrillation so the doctor started me on Sotalol in 2007. I did not notice any side effects and have not had an atrial fibrillation attack since then. I no longer worry about my heart and it beats nice and steady. For me it was a miracle! My sister tried it for her heart flutters and could not tolerate it so I guess it would depend on your condition."

bjdallas December 16, 2011

"I get mild bouts of atrial fibrillation every couple of months and I also have problems with my body producing too much adrenaline for no reason which the cardiologist thinks may be causing my atrial fibrillation. He has put me on 40mg - 80mg (yes small dose) to be taken when I either have noticeable heart problems or adrenaline issues as sotalol is a beta blocker. I only take a dose once or twice a month and it seems to work within about 30 minutes. I have no negative effects from it and it fixes both my atrial fibrillation and provides an immediate calming effect like my adrenaline levels have dropped. Much better than anti-anxiety medicines that I was originally given."

Anonymous August 9, 2011

"Was prescribed this for Atrial Fibrillation. After ONE dose, I experienced: light-headedness, nausea, dizziness, chest pain, fast heart rate, high blood pressure, severe depression, slightly blurred vision, fatigue, anxiety, heart missing a beat often. At the time of writing, it's three days after my one does (I stopped it immediately) and am still encountering some of the above side-effects. I am on no other medications, nor have I been."

Po Ra January 26, 2011

Sotalol Hydrochloride AF (sotalol): "Was use by cardiologist in the hospital to correct my A-fib... but semi strenuous exercise sent me back into A-Fib a few times while on it. Was afraid to exercise... not good. Saw another Cardiologist and he prescribe Metoprolol Succinate. This baby works like a charm, haven't been in A-fib since and am working out harder than ever."

Chaswick January 29, 2010

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Numerous side effects almost outweigh the benefits for me."

St. James June 4, 2009

"I have been on Sotalol for 14 months and I have not had a relapse of atrial fibrillation. I have had no side effects. I am taking 240 mg per day (120mg twice a day)."

Anonymous October 30, 2008

"I have been on this drug for 3months and have not had an attack of Atrial Fibrillation, the only problem is it makes me very tired."

Anonymous June 18, 2008

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Betapace AF (sotalol): "I have been on this drug since the summer of 2004.For the first 4 months I had a few times of a.f not bad enough to go to the hospital,feet up and rest. But since then till now have not had an attack,it works for me.The only draw back is the restriction of eating before and after taking the drug and it is to be taken 12 hours apart.Also I have been on the same dose 80mg per pill since 2004 and never had to change.Hard on evening snacks."

cb phoney March 22, 2008

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Atrial Fibrillation