User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Metoprolol review summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of Atrial Fibrillation.

Reviews for Metoprolol to treat Atrial Fibrillation

Review by D. Spear:

When, I tried Warfarin, I bruised considerably. Switched to a light dose (25mg) of Metoprolol and have nearly complete relief. The few times a month I feel the heart flutter, I take a second 25mg. Problem completely solved without the risks of blood thinners. Also, I think blood thinners reduce some of the consequences of Atrial fibrillation without reducing the actual flutter.

January 28, 2014 2:40 AM

Review by woman58:

I'm on my third day of metoprolol and feel very mellow. My heart feels quiet in the way you feel when you finally hit the pavement after a dirt road. I feel nervous having my natural rhythm manipulated but when it comes to the heart, I'll just do what they say. Had an attack of pericarditis 3 weeks ago and then Atrial fibrillation two days ago. I was told that this was normal after pericarditis. Metoprolol is recommended while heart recovers.

April 26, 2013 1:24 AM

Review by Tiredness and Constipation (taken for less than 1 month):

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): I was prescribed Metoprolol for Atrial Fibrillation and found that I was extremely tired. I began taking it at night, but developed terrible constipation. I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so the constipation was not good for me.

March 11, 2013 8:32 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

My father was put on Metoporol in April....he is now very tired and is very forgetful....but not only that has hallucinations and does not stop talking in his sleep...

September 25, 2012 3:22 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): I take 50mg 2x a day for years and it works great for me.

August 11, 2012 6:46 PM

Review by Young Grandma:

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): I've been on Flecainide 12 years for A-fib but have recently been have more and more episodes. So my cardiologist also prescribed metoprolol (the smallest dose possible - 1/4 of a 25mg tablet twice daily - due to my being very sensitive to other beta blockers). My blood pressure dropped (wasn't high in the first place) and my heart rate dropped to the mid/low 40's. I was also very light-headed, had low energy, some shortness of breath and sometimes nausea. Discontinued (by doctor) after one week.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 26, 2012 6:56 AM

I had my first atrial fibrillation crisis 3 moths ago. They cardioverted me, the doctor put me on metoprolol succinate ER 25mg for the first month and now I'm on on metoprolol tartrate 25mg.

November 24, 2011 8:51 PM

Review by the lone fisher:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): I suffer from Atrial fibrillation and have an implanted pacer. I am experiencing heavy sweating even in cool weather. I do not sleep, and find myself being more forgetful (don't know if the latter is from the medicines or not). I also feel unwell and tired mostly all the time and have to fight through it every day. I take 150mg daily.

July 10, 2011 11:39 PM

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): My doctor started me on Metoprolol after cardiac ablation for Atrial Fibrillation. It actually made my heart rate worse. I was waking up at 2am-5am every single morning in tachycardia of 115-148 bpm. I stopped taking Metoprolol, and have been in normal sinus rhythm ever since. I am glad it works for most, it just did not work for me. Atrial Fibrillation and/or tachycardia is horrible, and they have got to come up with something new for us sufferers soon.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2011 11:18 AM

Review by rijrunner:

I am a little tired and forgetful as well. Those seem to be the most common side effects of metoprolol. I also take flecainide and it has some of the same side effects as metoprolol so it's hard to tell which medication is causing this. Sometimes a little hard to focus but together they seem to help with the Atrial fibrillation.

September 29, 2010 12:12 AM

Review by old gumba:

I have Atrial fibrillation, inherited it from my mother. I'm 62 now, and VA put me on Warfarin and Metropolol about 6 weeks ago. Seems to be doing the trick and only side effect I notice is that if I drink a small glass of red wine, I'll get a headache in the middle of the night. Used to take Advil to shake them but can't now and Tylenol does nothing. Tried some beer and no headache. My one vice is my nightly glass of wine, which looks like I'll have to give up and replace with beer once in a while. Oh well, beats the alternative. No other side effects yet. Have had trouble losing any weight but I attribute that to the state they have me on. Ain't it great growin old?

June 5, 2010 2:23 PM

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): This medication has made me extremely tired. I also have forgotten to do simple daily routine tasks such as setting up the coffee pot at night. One short store trip, and I am exhausted! I will try something else.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 7, 2010 11:42 PM

Review by MotherMom:

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): Keeps my heart rate down to 54-75 which is way better than 170 but I still get AF. I was in AF most of yesterday. I am on low dose, 50mg. Think I need to up it maybe.

April 19, 2010 9:19 AM

Review by Dale W Omaha NE:

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol): This medicine works very well to keep the heart in rhythm, and the rate 65 to 90 (better than 160 when in A Fib 44 hours). Only drawback is that I can be very forgetful about routine tasks such as remembering to carry glass of water to the table.

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2009 3:05 AM

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): I HAVE CHRONIC ATRIAL FIBRILLATION (CONVERTED ONCE), WHICH ONLY LASTED 1O DAYS. NOW TAKE 100MG A DAY. RATE 70-85 BPM. Side effects-some drowsiness and fatigue.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 20, 2009 4:13 PM

Review by discogrann70hotmail.com:

I was put on toprol xl 10 years ago by a cardiologist. The ecg showed all the problems I had. The doctor ordered toprol xl 25 mg. Within 10 minutes after taking it, my condition had stopped, the heart was beating normally.

May 20, 2009 4:34 PM

Review by bbje500:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol): I have atrial fibrillation - beats to 180 very irregular beat, converted in 45 minutes in ER. Started me on Toprol 25 once a day. Heart rate now around 60-70, blood PSI 120/70 side effects so far include problems sleeping, restlessness also drowsy on and off. Only been taking this drug for a week now, perhaps the side effects will reduce in time.

89 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2009 9:59 AM