User Reviews for Warfarin

Also known as: Coumadin, Jantoven

Learn more about Warfarin.

Deep Vein Thrombosis...lacement Surgery 1 reviews 12 medications

Deep Vein Thrombosis, Recurrent Event 2 reviews 3 medications

6.8
Heart Failure 1 reviews 112 medications

6.2
Chronic Central Venous Catheterization 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Deep Vein Thrombosis...lacement Surgery 0 reviews 12 medications Not rated - Be the first
Prosthetic Heart Val...osis Prophylaxis 0 reviews 59 medications Not rated - Be the first
Protein S Deficiency 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Thromboembolic Stroke Prophylaxis 0 reviews 62 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Warfarin reviews 31 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Warfarin

Coumadin (warfarin) for Deep Vein Thrombosis Prophylaxis after Knee Replacement Surgery: "Broken femur resulted in blood clots that caused life threatening embolism. I was given the generic warfarin and rapidly devoped THRUSH. Switched to brand name COUMADIN and recovered after 9 days in hospital."

hippiejim (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2015

For Heart Attack: "Dad has been on warfarin/Coumadin for over 10 years. He started taking it after he had a triple bypass. He has since had two stents, one at a time. He is 83 years old, and has been getting along great. He recently got sick, went to hospital. All of his symptoms could have been side affects from the warfarin. The doctors would not put down a reason for his getting ill. I would give warfarin a good rating. By the way, if you start interacting with cartoon characters on TV, or can watch a movie, just by closing your eyes, don't be alarmed. You're not alone. Just try to have fun with it. That's what dad does."

rellim htennek March 5, 2015

Coumadin (warfarin) for Deep Vein Thrombosis, Recurrent Event: "Was on Coumadin for 4 years. Walked away due to headaches daily. Got another clot. It may have been worth the couple months of no headaches, no fussy head, no feeling stupid, loosing my sight (which is old age, but still the timing), but the anxiety of knowing my body will clot along with a new clot put me back on Coumadin. Finally got the news about Xarelto. Life changing to say the least. No way to reverse dose, I take the risk for a better life. Besides the half life is only 5 to 9 hours for under 45 yr old and 11 to 13 hours for older. Take it with dinner and you are sleeping that whole time."

Tsunamijim June 30, 2014

For Prosthetic Heart Valves, Mechanical Valves - Thrombosis Prophylaxis: "Haven't had a problem have been on warfarin for 10 years now."

Wendy wu (taken for 10 years or more) February 26, 2014

For Pulmonary Embolism, First Event: "I am so thankful to be alive. I had a pulmonary embolism in Jan 2011. They had my family in family room, didn't expect me to survive. BUT, GOD said differently. I am so THANKFUL. "

wjohns45 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 20, 2013

For Heart Attack: "Severe muscle pains especially in the neck and shoulder area"

flapjack April 7, 2013

Jantoven (warfarin) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "Been on Jantoven a number of years- no problem really. Have my INRs regularly every month. Usually between a 2-3 (as it should be). Would recommend."

tom36 (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 12, 2012

For Pulmonary Embolism, Recurrent Event: "I have multi Blood Clots in both Lungs. I've been on Warfarin 5mg since Mar 2012, prior to that I had a blood clot in one lung back in 2007 following surgery. My experience has been devastating like a walking Time Boom. I'm Alive thanks to my Doctors and my meds. My INR ranges 2.0 / 3.2 I now get my Pro-Time check once monthly. However I'll be on warfarin for the rest of my Life. Just have to be extra careful on any other meds my Doctor puts me on."

teeia50 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 12, 2012

For Pulmonary Embolism, Recurrent Event: "I was 39 years old at my first clot after surgery. I went off Coumadin after a year. Then had a pulmonary embolism and was put back on Coumadin. My INRs had great fluctuations. I now have my own home Coagucheck and adjust my Coumadin with a Dr's supervision and no clot since. I have had side effects but no clots since then."

janny age 56. May 6, 2012

Jantoven (warfarin) for Deep Vein Thrombosis, First Event: "I am concerned about the weight gain after taking this medicine. I have gained over 30 pounds since I started having to take Jantoven almost a year and a half ago."

Anonymous June 12, 2011

For Antiphospholipid Syndrome: "This condition led to a stroke for me, so this medicine has been a lifesaver and has given me peace of mind. I also have a great Doctor and nurse in his office who has guided me through the proper use when needed and I even test my own INR."

tinaawoods May 27, 2011

Coumadin (warfarin) for Prosthetic Heart Valves, Tissue Valves - Thrombosis Prophylaxis: "I have been taking coumadin for 21 years, since I had an aortic valve replacement."

Anonymous April 10, 2011

Coumadin (warfarin) for Antiphospholipid Syndrome: "Since I started on Coumadin I have a lot less leg pain and can think more clearly."

Anonymous January 29, 2011

Coumadin (warfarin) for Prevention of Thromboembolism in Atrial Fibrillation: "I was at a convention in Palm Springs when I was diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. Could not breathe, excruciating pain, scared to death. When I got to the ER my heart was beating at 180 beats per minute. The doctors told me the only thing that probably saved me from having a stroke was that I was already on Coumadin as I have a genetic blood disorder, factor 5 Leiden which means I will be on Coumadin for the rest of my life. My doctors are so cautious that they actually had a bird's nest inserted into my vena cava just in case a clot were to ever break lose. I have never had problems in the 6 years I have been on Coumadin. My INR is always at 2.5 which is considered perfect since my target range is between 2.0 and 3.0."

mexyweeds November 9, 2010

125 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Pulmonary Embolism, Recurrent Event: "I was first diagnosed with Pulmonary Embolism in 9/2007 and was on Warfarin for 3-6 months. Over the next 2-3 years I would get blood clots in the legs but never too serious again. Then in Late March 2010 Guess what was back, you guessed it Pulmonary Embolism. I was told this time that I would have to take this medicine for the rest of my life. I am only 39 years old and I feel so helpless that I have this happen to me. But I am alive and I will do what I need to do to stay that way....Please don't ignore the symptoms."

DVT/Pulmonary Kid May 17, 2010

Coumadin (warfarin) for Deep Vein Thrombosis, First Event: "Everything that goes into the mouth has to be reviewed for interactions with this drug. It can also cause swelling and hair loss."

Anonymous November 16, 2009

For Deep Vein Thrombosis, First Event: "I am 23 and have been taking this for a year now. After suffering from a blood clot in my leg last year, I found out that I have a blood clotting disorder that is caused by a genetic mutation and have to remain on a blood thinner permanently. I have been taking Warfarin from the beginning and have had no side effects. My uncle had tried Warfarin and suffered from a few side effects which prompted him to switch to Coumadin. For the short time he was on Coumadin, he had no complaints. I suppose it depends on the individual but the Warfarin has been working just fine for me and is very affordable."

Anonymous November 15, 2009

Coumadin (warfarin) for Pulmonary Embolism, First Event: "This drug saved my life."

Buddy wyatt October 28, 2009

Coumadin (warfarin) for Deep Vein Thrombosis, First Event: "I am male, 62 year old. Got a blood clot the entire length of my saphenous vein. I was put on generic warfarin first at 2.5mg/day. I got sweaty, headachy, and felt depressed. This went on for two weeks until I read reviews about Coumadin on this site. Switched to Coumadin. INR stabilized, sweats went away, and headaches went away in about 10 days. I know that Coumadin and Warfarin are supposed to be chemically the same molecule. I propose that the objective differences between these two drugs most likely can be accounted for by considering that one may have more pure isomers than the other."

qx October 23, 2009

For Heart Failure: "I have ben feeling better since my hospital stay and starting warfarin."

b mitchell October 2, 2009

For Pulmonary Embolism, First Event: "Warfarin has dangerous side effects, but is indicated in life threatening situations. It can be taken as prescribed for a period following a pulmonary embolism, but the patient must take extra care not to fall, bruise, or cut oneself, because warfarin inhibits clotting. It saved my life."

Anonymous August 1, 2009

Coumadin (warfarin) for Deep Vein Thrombosis, Recurrent Event: "I really do not like taking medications so I probably don't monitor it like I should. So far I have had no problems develop but it works effectively and side effects are minimal. Some cuts barely bleed while a small scratch may take awhile to stop depending on where the cut or scratch occurs. I have found that Coumadin regulates better than other warfarin but costs considerably more. "

Anonymous July 8, 2009

For Pulmonary Embolism, First Event: "The side effects can be difficult, but I am still alive and have been on the drug for 8 months."

Anonymous April 4, 2009

Coumadin (warfarin) for Pulmonary Embolism, First Event: "I am still alive because of this drug and I am not an advocate of the medical profession."

Anonymous February 13, 2009

Coumadin (warfarin) for Deep Vein Thrombosis, First Event: "Coumadin is very effective. Home monitoring of INR with finger sticks helped with ease of use."

Anonymous December 27, 2008