User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Migraine Prevention 3 reviews 32 medications

Heart Attack 5 reviews 118 medications

5.6
Summary of Metoprolol reviews 168 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Metoprolol

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I had all the side effects listed after taking Lopressor for 3 days. they still persist after stopping meds 2 days ago. I was on very low dosage of 12.5 bid"

Terry Parker (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a 50 year old fit, active and otherwise healthy female who is 5'6" and weights 140 pounds. My doctor prescribed 25 mg of metoprolol for me and I started taking it in February of this year (2015). My blood pressure was lowered from 140/90 to 125/82, so it DOES work in that respect. I had no side effects at ALL from this until the first week of June. Today is July 22nd. The first week of June, I was recovering from a sore throat and cough and then three weeks later, I realized that I was STILL hoarse and my voice was cracking. It is STILL like that as of today. Indeed, one of the rare side effects is hoarseness! I called my doctor today and he switched me to Amlopidine."

SuziQ1965 July 22, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "When it gets to the point that when you go to sit on the toilet you almost miss it and then almost fall off of it for being dizzy, it is time to stop. After coming here I know why now. i switched myself back to coreg just now (had some left) and will call the doctor Mon AM"

Jlfonz July 18, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I have been taking Metoprolol for three years. I had one episode two years ago, went to ER and it converted with an IV of something. Was up to 170 when I got there. I started taking 25 milligrams of Metoprolol twice a day and a lose dose aspirin once a day. I had another episode last September. They gave me Fleccinide (spelling?) and it reversed on its own. The first time, I had very stressful day, drank huge amount of coffee, and didn't sleep well the night before. The second time, I mowed both the front and back yard and did five minutes on stationary bike. Other than that, the metoprolol has controlled it and I try to avoid stress, sleep well, and don't mow both yards at once. The only side effect I have is fatigue."

Qs (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 17, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking Metoprolol for about 14 years and have not had any side effects."

Budd Hicks (taken for 10 years or more) June 27, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "My Mother has been taking Metoprolol 50mg for LOW blood pressure and under active thyroid for many years. She is 86 yrs old. She is having many problems with just about all side affects. She was given it for irregular heartbeat.Was this the wrong medicine for her?"

pinklilly63 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 5, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I have been taking 190mg Betaloc for a few years and the main problem is the fatigue that I get . I have perm A/Fib from a failed Maze treatment while having my Aorta valve replaced 9 years ago , I asked my GP if I could lower the dose to 142.5mg daily . I have been doing this now for about 3 weeks but now I am having strong bouts of A/Fib so I have decided to go back on to 190mg again . What are your thoughts on this matter."

Smiley Bert (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 22, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Toprol xl (50 mg) works great keeping my blood pressure down but gained about 20lbs and get very fatigued! Depressing :("

Leeker (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 20, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Taken Metoprolol 1/2 25mg twice a day for 2 month for hypertension. Has lowered my BP, but, I have lower back pain, extreme fatigue, get light headed when doing anything. I don't know how anyone could exercise while taking this. I get winded walking from the car to the store, and gaining weight because of it."

peri46 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Was on 100mg for 5 yrs (+10mg Lisinopril) and my BP was 110/70, so it worked in lowering it from 150+something. However, I had soul-crushing fatigue and a foggy brain and couldn't get thru the day, it seriously affected my life. I had trouble regulating my body temperature and was pretty miserable. My heart beat out of my chest when I laid on my left side. I thought these side effects were the result of an acute illness that ended w/ me having HBP, but it turns out they were from Metoprolol. My doc switched me to Bystolic 5mg and I felt better within a couple days! Metoprolol worked to lower my BP, but I didn't like the side effects."

nckhella (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 2, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I am a 25 year old female diagnosed with idiopathic hypertension and tachycardia. Was switched recently switched to 50mg metoprolol by my GP. Felt fine first four days and by fifth day started to experience vivid dreams, extreme anxiety after waking from sleep, and then started developing severe panic attacks and constant anxiousness. Was immediately taken off this medication and placed on bystolic 5mg. It has been 5 days since being taken off the medication and I am slowly losing sensation of anxiety but have some residual affects that I feel will take me a while to shake. It has been an incredibly traumatic experience. I do not recommend a beta blocker that crosses the blood brain barrier if it is not necessary."

LittleDeePurrez April 27, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Been on metaprolol for about 3 years. Yes its an effective blood pressure lower but as a woman i have absolutely no sex drive, has gain about 30 pounds and cannot get rid of it. I also experience dizzy spells and lightheaded all the time. Don't know what to do!"

Ra'Chelle (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 19, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I took way too much nasal decongestant.... my blood pressure and heart rate was shooting through the roof and I could not sleep at all for 3days, so the doctor put me on 25mg once a day and wow! what a diff! like night and day, calm anxiety too, but I have trouble sleeping sometimes"

pablochako April 7, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I was diagnosed with AFIB in 2012 at the age of 43, long sad frustrating story cut short, the doctor said there was nothing he could do about it. He sent me home to suffer with it. A couple of weeks ago I made an appt. with the clinic and the most wonderful nurse practioner started me on Metoprolol 25 mg/2x daily and "I FEEL GREAT!" I couldn't believe how my heart calmed down, my anxiety was relieved, I SLEPT BETTER b/c it stopped the night time AFIB attacks which constantly woke me up in the middle of the night and i just feel much more comfortable in my own skin...I actually cleaned the house without any huffing, puffing or the usual AFIB attack. I agree that it makes me drowsy which is becoming less severe I LOVE IT! :)"

Sherrie L. March 2, 2015

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I was diagnosed with SVT following complications from a vaginal hysterectomy at age 58 (pulmonary embolism, pelvic hematoma and pneumonia). ER diagnosed it as A-fib; cardiologist later said SVT following 48 hr. Holter monitor and echocardiogram. Started me on 25 mg once a day which I take at night. Have been taking about a month and it is working well. Heart racing if I have it is not noticeable; pounding heart occasionally but tolerable and minor compared to what it was previously. Recommended going up to 50 mg but I am going to keep trying at this dose longer. No noticeable side effects, no weight gain or sleepiness."

Laura G. in Mi February 5, 2015

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I was having heart palpitations everyday to the point where it was really scary for me. Sometimes flutters, other times skipped beats and still others I can't explain. Had holter monitor and stress test all came back fine, cardiologist told me nothing to worry about. Gave me this med 25 mg a day 1/2 tab am and 1/2 pm. First week, tightness in my chest felt hard it was hard to breath and it made me extremely sleepy and spacy. Almost stopped taking med but I continued into my 2nd week after my Dr told me to continue side effects would subside. I am so glad I took his advice, it's been 2 months and my palitations have subsided I get a few here and there but not as intense. This was a miracle drug for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 29, 2015

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "Worked fine in lowering and stabilizing blood pressure, however I switched off it because of sexual side effects. Fatigue, which is a problem for many, was no problem for me."

captkrash (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 20, 2015

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Started having Tachycardia a few months ago and was put on this medicine...so far so good. Definitely has slowed down the heart rate, and at the end of its extended release period, I feel like I need to take another one....my older sister also takes it for heart flutters and her Cardiologist said that they should put it in the water supply...it's good for everyone's heart."

ddranch January 19, 2015

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "This medication does keep my hypertension under control and also seems to effect my heart rate by lowering it by an average of 15--20 bpm. I take other medications that tend to raise my heart rate, so this medication is useful for me, in that regard. I have found that this medication is very sensitive to dosing propery. I have found that if I miss only a couple of doses, my blood pressure and heart rate start to increase."

captnjp61 January 14, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Initially received this at Urgent Care because I couldn't get into my doctor when my blood pressure was high at a employer mandated check. I was on it 3 weeks, 2 pills a day at 25 mg each. It brought the BP down by about 20 points. The side effects were cold feet mid morning, trouble sleeping, and the dosage did not last a full 12 hours. I could feel the heart slow down at about 1 hour after medicating and then start to speed up again at about 9 hours. I had to be careful not to take it close to bedtime because it made me feel hyper about 2-3 hours after the dose. Upon reflection, these side effects were less than some of the other stuff I've taken since."

Bobby Brown (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2015

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: "I take Metoprolol ER 50mg every day to control my tachycardia from POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) It also 99% eliminated my occasional issues with Mitral Valve Prolapse. I notice no side effects from my dosage."

Miriks (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 3, 2015

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "A health care professional and a person who takes this medication ."

Redtini (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 30, 2014

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for Heart Attack: "I've been taking metoprolol for about 12 years now, 1 in the morning and 1 at night for the first 7 years and then dropped it to 1 morning and half at night and for the last 2 years. I've been on half morning and half at night, my heart rate was too low but apart from that I have had no other problems."

borrisbb (taken for 10 years or more) December 26, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "Unbelievable! I am a health and fitness professional and have tried everything including naturopathic remedies to control my migraines, high blood pressure and anxiety. A 25 mg daily dose of Metoprolol has been life changing. I was mostly anti-medicine until I was finally talked into trying this. I was having 10-15 severe migraines per month, causing frequent ER visits, stroke level high blood pressure and severe performance anxiety. Immediately after beginning this medicine I have few headaches and they are rarely severe. My blood pressure is down and my anxiety is significantly improved. I have no problems exercising. I had to adjust to being sleepy but it doesn't seem to affect my very active lifestyle much anymore."

Zenfit December 11, 2014

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Just started this medicine and I am tired and slightly forgetful. I thought it was from the hospital stay and the stress of having atrial-fibrillation. Thanks to all of you for sharing that its this medicine."

WorkerBee2014 October 16, 2014