User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Migraine Prevention 2 reviews 32 medications

5.6
Summary of Metoprolol reviews 141 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Metoprolol

Review by Happy23554 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: I started having really bad tachycardia episodes and my primary doctor tried to convince me it was anxiety. After lots of tests and wearing a heart monitor for a month my cardiologist said I had Supraventricular Tachycardia and I was put on metoprolol 12.5mg twice a day. It's great! I haven't felt this calm and comfortable in years! Doctors really need to stop assuming that anxiety is the diagnosis of everyone's problems. There's a bit of drowsiness and fatigue in the beginning but that goes away as your body gets used to it. I am very happy with this medication.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 1:26 PM

Review by Rob_B62:

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for Heart Attack: I'm a 52 YO male in fairly good shape. I started taking Metoprolol, 50mg twice a day after suffering a cardiac arrest earlier this year, in April. It has been very effective in controlling my blood pressure and keeping my heart rate low. The side effects are becoming unbearable now though. I'm tired, and have a lot of trouble focusing on my work during the day, have a lot of restless nights of tossing and turning, and have now developed a rash under my arms. I think it also contributes to erectile dysfunction. I spoke to my cardiologist about all this today, and he's cutting my dose in half. I'm hoping some of these side effects will diminish when I cut down to 25mg twice a day.

July 28, 2014 12:12 PM

Review by Good experience:

Lopressor (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: I took Lopressor for 24 years it worked very well in lowering my blood pressure and even calming my anxiety but lately it doesn't work on me very well as before, I guess the doctor will change it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 24, 2014 7:44 PM

Review by HEINE:

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: EFFECTIVE. VERY CALMING EFFECT, 4 MONTHS NO SIDE EFFECTS OTHER THAN VERY TIRED ON 50mg DAILY IN DIVIDED DOSE.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 9, 2014 9:47 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: After suffering the past 2 years with increased migraines of 3-4 weekly, this medication began working almost immediately decreasing my migraines to 1 monthly.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2014 1:10 PM

Review by Nicoleeo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I used to have daily headaches. My doctor prescribed metropol succinate 25 mg on 3-12-14. Aside from the migraine that accompanies my period (way milder than the ones previous), that was the last day my head hurt. This medication has improved my quality of life with little to no side effects.

April 5, 2014 3:19 AM

Review by jpchiesa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: After using metoprolol for 2 months not only did my blood pressure not go down but I had side effects that warranted my discontinuing it. I developed a pervasive cough and a sensation as if I had fluid in my lungs.

April 5, 2014 2:15 AM

Review by Jane12397 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: Supraventricular Tachy with Arrhythmia runs in our family. When I was 6 years old a Doctor yelled heart attack, I thought he was having one and he thought I was having one. The nurse calmed him down. I obviously compensated from having it so long. So, that was how it was till I was about 28. Then my heart rate was 180 a minute all the time. I could not compensate. I was told to go on heart medicines. I am allergic to a lot of things and do not respond well to things. So after about dying from trying beta blockers I was put on Corgard which worked perfect. Now my insurance will not cover it. I am 56 and just put on Metoprolol and scared. I hope it works well and I have no problems.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2014 12:54 AM

Review by TMMB:

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: I started taking 50mg of Toprol after being admitted to the hospital 6 days ago. I was told I had Mitral Valve Proplase and that I needed to take 50mg daily. It has helped in slowing my rapid heart beat down but the side effects have almost been unbearable. I have hardly slept, after taking the medicine I get short of breath and feel like I'm having an anxiety attack, and I take the medicine at bedtime. In the mornings when I wake for the first two to three hours I feel shaky, sweaty, nauseous, and extremely dizzy. My regular MD took me down to 25mg once daily and I still can't sleep and feel anxious. This is the first day taking 25mg so we'll see how I feel in the morning.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 3, 2014 11:44 PM

Review by TeriDe:

For High Blood Pressure: I have been on Metoprolol ER 25MG for 10 months. It has worked great for my blood pressure and have had no migraines or headaches. I do get really tired in the afternoon, which I never use to. The worst part is I have gained 22 lb. and nothing I do reduces the weight. I work out 4 times a week, really watch what I eat and nothing helps.

April 2, 2014 3:53 PM

Review by Hesperidean:

For High Blood Pressure: I have taken Metroprolol (Beta Blocker) for years for high blood pressure caused by renal FMD. The negative side effect was primarily on cognitive function plus cold hands and feet. My short term memory really became poor. i experimented by taking myself off it for a few weeks and then putting myself back on it. I was able to measure a clear difference in cognitive function. I decided to refuse to take any more Metroprolol and my doctor found me Felodipine which is fine.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2014 5:33 AM

Review by Agirlandadream (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: The medicine works great for high blood pressure, BUT.... I'm a college student in school for criminal justice. Ever since taking this medication I can't seem to keep my eyes open to study and I can't focus on course material. Where as I was so motivated until metroprolol.

March 7, 2014 2:19 PM

Review by svt in dfw (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: About 4 months ago, I was finally diagnosed with Supraventricular tachycardia. At first I was diagnosed with anxiety but knew it had to be something else. Turns out that anxiety is a common symptom of SVT. I was put on Metoprolol 12.5 mg (half 25 mg tab) but had to keep increasing dosage to now 37.5mg per day. I tried taking it in the morning, but it made me feel weird and heart felt heavy. I switched to night time. It does help me sleep. I was initially tired, but that wore off. No other symptoms other than feeling more at ease and calm. I am a 46 yr old female in pretty good shape...no weight gain like others complained of.

February 27, 2014 2:29 PM

Review by D. Spear:

For Atrial Fibrillation: When, I tried Warfarin, I bruised considerably. Switched to a light dose (25mg) of Metoprolol and have nearly complete relief. The few times a month I feel the heart flutter, I take a second 25mg. Problem completely solved without the risks of blood thinners. Also, I think blood thinners reduce some of the consequences of Atrial fibrillation without reducing the actual flutter.

January 28, 2014 2:40 AM

Review by kaelem:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: Took this for migraines and seemed to work great for months. I had about a three month stretch when I noticed I had a constant low grade fever, achey and flu like symptoms. After much research determined it was due to the beta blocker. Went off them and felt my old self again.

January 20, 2014 3:08 PM

Review by Little Mikester (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For High Blood Pressure: I have most of all the expierances that the gentleman here have/had. I am not having violent dreams, just wierd and very vivid. I have been on it it for 3 years and like some, since on it, I have not had relations with wife, I have also gained ALOT of weight. I have gone from a size 32-34 pants to a 50-52 pants. No matter what I do, whether it be diet or exercise or both, my weight keeps climbing. My emotions are all over the place.

January 11, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by Seminole TX (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for : On Metoprolol Succinate 75mg and it has been a miracle drug for my palpitations but, having intermittent chest pain and discomfort very fatigued short of breath affects my thinking and just exhausted.

January 11, 2014 11:16 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: I needed to take this due to another medication I was taking. Never needed to be on anything else. Very happy with results

December 15, 2013 8:41 PM

Review by ray13:

For Premature Ventricular Depolarizations: I have PACs and PVCs mostly related to stress and anxiety. Nothing that was overly concerning. I was medicated because the feeling of the PVCs was interfering with my quality of life. Between metprolol, antidepressants and prn ativan, I gained 40lbs in 1.5 yrs. I got more depressed. I was exercising too. I stopped all meds and no change despite amping up weights and cardio/ no sugar etc. Nothing. I stopped the metoprolol, and I drop 16 lbs in 1 1/2 months. It also causes depression and weight gain as a side effect. However it is effective in treating many other conditions. I do not condone stopping medications without consulting your physician.

October 30, 2013 10:22 PM

Review by Shaky52:

For Benign Essential Tremor: This medication has prevented tremors and improved my quality of life. It also helps with anxiety and headaches. It is a much milder alternative to Xanax for light anxiety sufferers.

September 29, 2013 8:03 PM

Review by LB1265 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Heart Failure: I have had some pretty bad side effects including weakness to the point of falling, extreme fatigue (to the point of not being able to walk at all and eventually falling into a depression). The moment I began to wean myself off the medicine, I immediately regained my strength and everything changed for the better. I did of course inform my doctor and did this gradually over 2 weeks.

September 9, 2013 7:04 AM

Review by BellaMarie (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: I first had SVT when I was 13 but undiagnosed until 18. I had episodes that lasted 1-36 hours. Episodes occurred 1-5 times/month. Average BPM was 190 and upon reaching 235 BPM I would start to loose consciousness. I tried all varieties of maneuvers to trigger the SVT to stop but none worked. If it laster longer than an hour I was transported to the ER where I was given Adenosine to restart my heart. I was given an Rx for Metoprlol Tartrate a few months before my first ablation when I was 20. I was started on 25mg/day. 9 days after my ablation, I had more episodes and was bumped up to 50mg, 100mg, then 150mg/day before my second ablation when I was 21. Had it been unsuccessful, I'd have been switched to an Ace-inhibitor.

September 6, 2013 2:13 PM

Review by JenniferLynn1313:

For High Blood Pressure: I went to the hospital with a 150 resting heart rate freaked me out! After many tests no one could find anything wrong with my heart I did have high blood pressure a higher heart rate and I have SEVERE anxiety. They started me on 25 mg twice a day in the hospital and it did start to help with my heart rate and made me less anxious and when I finally went home I checked my blood pressure as well and it too was doing well..My only thing is I have vivid nightmares that are scary as hell and I just don't understand.

September 4, 2013 3:34 PM

Review by rbh:

Lopressor (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: Take pill every 12 hours. Works fine for me. Requested a beta-blocker because of the anti stage-fright effects. No more 'adrenaline dumps' in stressful situations. Helps me tremendously in my work and social interactions.

August 28, 2013 4:32 PM

Review by dauna (taken for less than 1 month):

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: Only took for 1 week, made me incredibly tired, could not function.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 6, 2013 12:55 PM