User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Migraine Prevention 3 reviews 32 medications

5.6
Summary of Metoprolol reviews 149 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Metoprolol

Review by captkrash (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: Worked fine in lowering and stabilizing blood pressure, however I switched off it because of sexual side effects. Fatigue, which is a problem for many, was no problem for me.

January 20, 2015 6:12 PM

Review by Miriks (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Mitral Valve Prolapse: I take Metoprolol ER 50mg every day to control my tachycardia from POTS (Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome) It also 99% eliminated my occasional issues with Mitral Valve Prolapse. I notice no side effects from my dosage.

January 3, 2015 11:29 PM

Review by Redtini (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: A health care professional and a person who takes this medication .

December 30, 2014 6:20 AM

Review by borrisbb (taken for 10 years or more):

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for Heart Attack: I've been taking metoprolol for about 12 years now, 1 in the morning and 1 at night for the first 7 years and then dropped it to 1 morning and half at night and for the last 2 years. I've been on half morning and half at night, my heart rate was too low but apart from that I have had no other problems.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2014 4:46 AM

Review by Zenfit:

For Migraine Prevention: Unbelievable! I am a health and fitness professional and have tried everything including naturopathic remedies to control my migraines, high blood pressure and anxiety. A 25 mg daily dose of Metoprolol has been life changing. I was mostly anti-medicine until I was finally talked into trying this. I was having 10-15 severe migraines per month, causing frequent ER visits, stroke level high blood pressure and severe performance anxiety. Immediately after beginning this medicine I have few headaches and they are rarely severe. My blood pressure is down and my anxiety is significantly improved. I have no problems exercising. I had to adjust to being sleepy but it doesn't seem to affect my very active lifestyle much anymore.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2014 8:59 AM

Review by WorkerBee2014:

For Atrial Fibrillation: Just started this medicine and I am tired and slightly forgetful. I thought it was from the hospital stay and the stress of having atrial-fibrillation. Thanks to all of you for sharing that its this medicine.

October 16, 2014 2:51 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: I was started on this medicine after a trip to the ER. I have been dealing with Supraventricular Tachycardia my whole life, and at 49 it finally came to this point. Since starting the metoprolol, I have had heart flutters every day, all throughout the day, as well as some chest tightness, which I previously have not had. It also caused sun sensitivity and increased/extreme sweating. Although I have not had another serious attack, the side effects way outweigh any benefit for me. I decided to stop taking the metoprolol, and the heart flutter has greatly decreased, as well as the sweating. Next step for me is an ablation.

September 10, 2014 10:43 AM

Review by LF83 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Heart Failure: I took toprolol as a kid for a type of heart Failure. My doctor said it was same as what athletes get at age 29 I had been switched to Metoprolol 50mg once daily. After a few years a new doctor took me off of it and I began jumping awake gasping for air. I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea and put on a CPAP. It never helped I Kept having it, turned up until the pressure was wide open. but still I jumped awake at nights. My doctor was beside himself with what to do and finally I was placed back on the Metoprolol 50Mg and in two weeks my sleep Apnea disappeared.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2014 2:32 PM

Review by Happy23554 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: I started having really bad tachycardia episodes and my primary doctor tried to convince me it was anxiety. After lots of tests and wearing a heart monitor for a month my cardiologist said I had Supraventricular Tachycardia and I was put on metoprolol 12.5mg twice a day. It's great! I haven't felt this calm and comfortable in years! Doctors really need to stop assuming that anxiety is the diagnosis of everyone's problems. There's a bit of drowsiness and fatigue in the beginning but that goes away as your body gets used to it. I am very happy with this medication.

August 20, 2014 1:26 PM

Review by Rob_B62:

Metoprolol Tartrate (metoprolol) for Heart Attack: I'm a 52 YO male in fairly good shape. I started taking Metoprolol, 50mg twice a day after suffering a cardiac arrest earlier this year, in April. It has been very effective in controlling my blood pressure and keeping my heart rate low. The side effects are becoming unbearable now though. I'm tired, and have a lot of trouble focusing on my work during the day, have a lot of restless nights of tossing and turning, and have now developed a rash under my arms. I think it also contributes to erectile dysfunction. I spoke to my cardiologist about all this today, and he's cutting my dose in half. I'm hoping some of these side effects will diminish when I cut down to 25mg twice a day.

July 28, 2014 12:12 PM

Review by Good experience:

Lopressor (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: I took Lopressor for 24 years it worked very well in lowering my blood pressure and even calming my anxiety but lately it doesn't work on me very well as before, I guess the doctor will change it.

June 24, 2014 7:44 PM

Review by HEINE:

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: EFFECTIVE. VERY CALMING EFFECT, 4 MONTHS NO SIDE EFFECTS OTHER THAN VERY TIRED ON 50mg DAILY IN DIVIDED DOSE.

June 9, 2014 9:47 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: After suffering the past 2 years with increased migraines of 3-4 weekly, this medication began working almost immediately decreasing my migraines to 1 monthly.

April 12, 2014 1:10 PM

Review by Nicoleeo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I used to have daily headaches. My doctor prescribed metropol succinate 25 mg on 3-12-14. Aside from the migraine that accompanies my period (way milder than the ones previous), that was the last day my head hurt. This medication has improved my quality of life with little to no side effects.

April 5, 2014 3:19 AM

Review by jpchiesa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: After using metoprolol for 2 months not only did my blood pressure not go down but I had side effects that warranted my discontinuing it. I developed a pervasive cough and a sensation as if I had fluid in my lungs.

April 5, 2014 2:15 AM

Review by Jane12397 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: Supraventricular Tachy with Arrhythmia runs in our family. When I was 6 years old a Doctor yelled heart attack, I thought he was having one and he thought I was having one. The nurse calmed him down. I obviously compensated from having it so long. So, that was how it was till I was about 28. Then my heart rate was 180 a minute all the time. I could not compensate. I was told to go on heart medicines. I am allergic to a lot of things and do not respond well to things. So after about dying from trying beta blockers I was put on Corgard which worked perfect. Now my insurance will not cover it. I am 56 and just put on Metoprolol and scared. I hope it works well and I have no problems.

April 4, 2014 12:54 AM

Review by TMMB:

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: I started taking 50mg of Toprol after being admitted to the hospital 6 days ago. I was told I had Mitral Valve Proplase and that I needed to take 50mg daily. It has helped in slowing my rapid heart beat down but the side effects have almost been unbearable. I have hardly slept, after taking the medicine I get short of breath and feel like I'm having an anxiety attack, and I take the medicine at bedtime. In the mornings when I wake for the first two to three hours I feel shaky, sweaty, nauseous, and extremely dizzy. My regular MD took me down to 25mg once daily and I still can't sleep and feel anxious. This is the first day taking 25mg so we'll see how I feel in the morning.

April 3, 2014 11:44 PM

Review by TeriDe:

For High Blood Pressure: I have been on Metoprolol ER 25MG for 10 months. It has worked great for my blood pressure and have had no migraines or headaches. I do get really tired in the afternoon, which I never use to. The worst part is I have gained 22 lb. and nothing I do reduces the weight. I work out 4 times a week, really watch what I eat and nothing helps.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 2, 2014 3:53 PM

Review by Hesperidean:

For High Blood Pressure: I have taken Metroprolol (Beta Blocker) for years for high blood pressure caused by renal FMD. The negative side effect was primarily on cognitive function plus cold hands and feet. My short term memory really became poor. i experimented by taking myself off it for a few weeks and then putting myself back on it. I was able to measure a clear difference in cognitive function. I decided to refuse to take any more Metroprolol and my doctor found me Felodipine which is fine.

April 1, 2014 5:33 AM

Review by Agirlandadream (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: The medicine works great for high blood pressure, BUT.... I'm a college student in school for criminal justice. Ever since taking this medication I can't seem to keep my eyes open to study and I can't focus on course material. Where as I was so motivated until metroprolol.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 7, 2014 2:19 PM

Review by svt in dfw (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: About 4 months ago, I was finally diagnosed with Supraventricular tachycardia. At first I was diagnosed with anxiety but knew it had to be something else. Turns out that anxiety is a common symptom of SVT. I was put on Metoprolol 12.5 mg (half 25 mg tab) but had to keep increasing dosage to now 37.5mg per day. I tried taking it in the morning, but it made me feel weird and heart felt heavy. I switched to night time. It does help me sleep. I was initially tired, but that wore off. No other symptoms other than feeling more at ease and calm. I am a 46 yr old female in pretty good shape...no weight gain like others complained of.

February 27, 2014 2:29 PM

Review by D. Spear:

For Atrial Fibrillation: When, I tried Warfarin, I bruised considerably. Switched to a light dose (25mg) of Metoprolol and have nearly complete relief. The few times a month I feel the heart flutter, I take a second 25mg. Problem completely solved without the risks of blood thinners. Also, I think blood thinners reduce some of the consequences of Atrial fibrillation without reducing the actual flutter.

January 28, 2014 2:40 AM

Review by kaelem:

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: Took this for migraines and seemed to work great for months. I had about a three month stretch when I noticed I had a constant low grade fever, achey and flu like symptoms. After much research determined it was due to the beta blocker. Went off them and felt my old self again.

January 20, 2014 3:08 PM

Review by Little Mikester (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For High Blood Pressure: I have most of all the expierances that the gentleman here have/had. I am not having violent dreams, just wierd and very vivid. I have been on it it for 3 years and like some, since on it, I have not had relations with wife, I have also gained ALOT of weight. I have gone from a size 32-34 pants to a 50-52 pants. No matter what I do, whether it be diet or exercise or both, my weight keeps climbing. My emotions are all over the place.

January 11, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by Seminole TX (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for : On Metoprolol Succinate 75mg and it has been a miracle drug for my palpitations but, having intermittent chest pain and discomfort very fatigued short of breath affects my thinking and just exhausted.

January 11, 2014 11:16 AM