User Reviews for Metoprolol

Also known as: Lopressor, Metoprolol Succinate ER, Metoprolol Tartrate, Toprol-XL

Learn more about Metoprolol.

Migraine Prevention 6 reviews 32 medications

6.5
Heart Attack 8 reviews 118 medications

Summary of Metoprolol reviews 195 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Metoprolol

For Premature Ventricular Depolarizations: "I'm a 50 something female and I've been taking Toprol XL 25mg once a day for about 10 years for PVC's. It has worked very well to control my racing heart that woke me up in the night. Occasionally I still feel the extra/skipped beats but they are no longer worrisome. For about the past year I have been experiencing some shortness of breath at rest. I am wondering if this is related to the medication. Does anyone have any ideas about this?"

TexasMomof2 February 8, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "My husband has congestive heart failure. Was admitted to hospital with fluid on hear & lungs 2 weeks ago. He had never experienced AFIB before. He has been on Atenolol for 13 years with b/p controlled. While in hospital his monitor started showing AFIB so they stopped atenolol and started Metoprelol. He has been weak for several years due to CHF. Now his is combative, not sleeping, talking in his sleep. But he remembers none of it. Is this part of the drug side affect? Or due to the fact the CHF is much worse and he is facing hard reality? Any suggestions or ideas will be helpful. Calling cardiologist tomorrow"

COWBOY818 February 8, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I am taking Metoprolol 50mg 3 times per day since the beginning of January and my heart rate is still very high137 bpm on average for a seventy one year old male previously active and in good health. When I climb stairs I am short of breath feel weaker than normal. Previous taking Digoxin 62.5mg x3/day. This controlled/capped my HR at 115bpm without side effects. So my HR has increased by comparison since starting Metoprolol. I would welcome all your comment."

kebbler January 31, 2016

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I started taking 50mg and it worked well for about 6 months. Then my flutters started again from my SVT and rapid heart rate. I was switched to 100mg once a day. This med caused me to be quite tired/fatigued. In the beginning I was also dizzy but that eventually went away almost completely. The sleepiness has not gone away but it's manageable. The good it does for my heart outweighs the side effects for me."

SVT Mommy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 25, 2016

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "After having a constant heart rate of 110/20 even when resting, occasional heart palpitations, anxiety, and high blood pressure, I was put on Metoprolol success ER 25 mgs, that I half to 12.5mgs. It's been wonderful! I am so much more relaxed, my heart rate stays around 75 to 80. Blood Pressure stays in a normal range. Love it! I'm female, 47, 5 2` ( 135lbs )"

Lilac lover January 18, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been having daily migraines with aura for a couple of years, mostly likely triggered by too much stress at work and combination of long hours, lots of pressure and hostile environment. I was constantly under stress, with my body flooded with stress hormones, strong heart-beating etc. Metoprolol helped me a lot in reducing my stress level and adjusting to a more relaxed attitude at work. It calms you down by reducing your heart beat etc. From this perspective it was helpful for getting on a healthier path. It also helped reducing the migraines, even though they stayed. Over the longer run, you need to take higher dosage to achieve a similar effect. at some stage I had the impression the drug didn't help much any longer, so stopped."

avalokiteshwara (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 16, 2016

For High Blood Pressure: "Side effects: swollen ankles, constant cough, headache. Lowers blood pressure"

Lea b (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2016

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I've been on Metoprolol for 6 weeks after an AF episode of 15 hrs 2 days after a total knee replacement. I was on opioids for pain and never developed constipation. Came off the opioids and find I have diarrhoea which seems to be the medication. I also developed vertigo 10 days ago. It's reduced in severity, but is still hanging around. Again seems likely to be the medication. Off all things meant to help me sleep, Metoprolol has made for some difficult sleepless nights, not something I've ever had before. At the same time it's controlling my heart rate and BP, and so far no more AF. My first week home from rehab I also suffered the anxious feeling, which was an unpleasant, crawly feeling in my chest. It seems to work though."

Beati3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 22, 2015

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "Took it for about a month and a half after being diagnosed with SVT. No episodes but had 2-3 episodes of fuzziness/confusion while trying to work. Dr switched me to Diltiazem."

Dawn314 November 22, 2015

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I wanted to add on a couple things to my previous review. Everyone warned me about how tired I was going to be since this medication would literally be slowing my heart down but I've never experienced that. I don't sleep much and have insomnia so that could be why. I also have experienced crazy dreams and I sleep walk from time to time. I've always had dreams and talked in my sleep but I think the medication makes it a little worse especially if you're taking it closer to bed time. I do get a little light headed if I stand up quick and bend down but it's not bad. The benefit I get from this medication outweighs any of these insignificant side effects. I would recommend to push through any side effects and let the medication adapt to you!"

JR44933 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 17, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "46 yr old male with a stressful job as a PI Trial Attorney in Miami. Strangely enough, I began developing diagnosed migraines (w/out auras) last year. I was given Amerge for acute migraines which works fantastic (as opposed to Maxalt; more tired/ does not last as long as Amerge or work as well). I was put on Toprol 50 mg extended release 60 days ago. Simultaneously, I had moderately high blood pressure. This drug is fantastic. In 61 days, I have not had one bad migraine. I had a minor last week and once I took a half of an Amerge, it was gone immediately. I did though develop strange dreams which I have read reviews about. However, they are tolerable. With any drug, you have to weigh the benefits vs. the risks. Try it. It works!"

PI Attorney in Miami (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 14, 2015

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I'm a 22 year old Female. (115/5'1) Long story short, I found out I had Tachycardia and experienced palpitations as well. I had extreme anxiety because of it which made it worse. I got prescribed Metoprolol Tartrate twice a day at first and it was a nightmare. It actually had like a reverse reaction on me and gave me constant flutters for a whole day. The doctor told me to take Magnesium twice a day with it and it would help and it definitely did. I eventually switched to the extended release, once a day, along with Magnesium and I couldn't be happier. I feel a lot more relaxed and normal. Had few palps still with Tartrate but not with Succinate (yet). I wanted to wait to write a review because I know I relied on reviews. Hope this helps!"

J4493 November 13, 2015

For Premature Ventricular Depolarizations: "I'm a 72 year 'young' female, and I have been taking Metoprolol Tartrate for 7 years, for PVC's Premature Ventricular Contractions of my heart, and also for Tachycardia. I take 25mg. in the morning, and 25mg. about 11 hours later. The medicine has stopped my PVC's, and also slows down my heart rate. When I first started taking Metoprorlol Tartrate, it made me very tired, but after about 2 weeks, my body got used to it, and I was fine."

IMBARB November 7, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "4 years ago i had my first Afib 200 heart beat. they keeped me over night with IV in me and slowed the heart down to about 120 sometime over night it reset its self. I take Metoprolol twice a day. Morning and Night. and the Doc said if needed take 1 more. when I first was taken Metoprolol I got tired. and it took a few weeks to get over that feeling. But now I don't get tired. My heart beat is about 65. I do still get Afib but not as bad as i did. I am 47"

DJZMAN (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 31, 2015

Metoprolol Succinate ER (metoprolol) for High Blood Pressure: "Been on this drug for years to slow heart due to atrial fib. Works very well. No complaints."

Hemi13 October 23, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I am so happy to have found a medication that prevents migraines, lowers my blood pressure and curbs anxiety. I was having 20 to 25 migraine days a month. So far I've only had two mild headaches that were easily treated with two ibuprofen. I feel like I have my life back. I highly recommend it."

Jessnov81 October 13, 2015

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I am a 20 year old female (yes, 20) and I am taking it for SVT. I take 75 mg twice daily, every 12 hours. Right after I take it, my heart rate increases and I get major anxiety. At night it's when it's worse. During the day, I'm perfectly fine. I also have chest pains and SOB, sometimes back pain. I also have heavy legs. Headaches are a definite. I am not wearing the Event Mintor to track my heart rate. It can get high, which can be scary because you don't know what could happen next. Some sleepless night and early morning wakes with anxiety. It sucks because when I have these panic attacks, I can tell when it's about to start so I brace myself. But I tell myself that Jesus is going to heal my body every day."

StephanieGully October 1, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I have taken Toprol XL for years for atrial fib and tachycardia. I get very anxious at times without this and my blood pressure and heart rate will race with the chance it could convert to AF. Lately however, my heart rate has fallen to low 40's taking only 10 mg and my doctor has taken me off it completely. I feel very shaky now. My hands visibly tremble and I notice I get more of an adrenaline rush when under pressure or fear. I need something to replace this because I don't want to experience AF again and I need something to calm me down. Any suggestions would be appreciated."

Mike.s0305 September 30, 2015

For Heart Attack: "I previously posted over a year ago on this subject. After nine months of taking 50mg/day, my cardiologist dropped me down to 25mg, once per day of Metoprolol Succinate. I'd like to be med-free, but I don't know if it is possible at this point. I'm walking/jogging 15-18 miles per week, and in better shape now than I've ever been. I feel great most of the time, but still get extremely tired. I don't know if that's the drug, or just natural aging. :)"

Rob_B62 September 23, 2015

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I've been on Toprol XL for 15 years ..started on 50 mg once per day then dropped to 25 mg ..experienced symptoms again then was changed to bystolic but only for a short time ..the doc said toprol was more for my problem so changed back and now on toprol xl 50 mg per day again ..I tried the generic 4 times and always have to take the brand .The genetic didn't work for me after the fourth day of trying it...but now I have severe dizziness floating and faint feeling spells that are worser with my period and noticed my blood pressure getting very low when resting 87/54 or 85/58...so I'm debating on going back to 25 mg per day ..anyone had this experience with Toprol xl?"

mbrannen590gmail.com September 23, 2015

For Heart Attack: "I guess it's working alright but I am very very tired all the time :("

Dan-o (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 17, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "It works but!. It has given me bad tinnitus (ringing in ears) that so far has been permanent and is driving me insane......"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2015

For Premature Ventricular Depolarizations: "I find my pvc's respond better to increasing my magnesium. I take it at night it also helps me sleep better and has a easy laxative affect in the am. I just converted over from the 50 mg extentabs to 25 mg twice a day, I'm hoping that the new regimen may be a little better in controlling this soccer game I have going on in my chest. I really think that the magnesium helps the most. If I don't have better results, I may try just the magnesium without the metoprolol and see if there is a difference."

misswb September 2, 2015

For Mitral Valve Prolapse: "I was diagnosed with Paroxysmal Atrial Tachycardia in 1980 when I was 19 years old. Went to the ER, converted myself via Valsalva Maneuver -- went to my MD the next day/had an echocardiogram done and was diagnosed with Mitral Valve Prolapse. My heart throughout the day kept going into PAT (200+ BPM) No chest pain or anything, but pounding heart/fainting. I was started on Lopressor at that time .... 100mg BID and this is an amazing drug. Sure I still get the odd PAT episode once in a while, but the pounding and skipped beats are greatly reduced. No side effects at all. It actually has a calming effect. Been on Lopressor for 35 years. Great antiarrhythmic."

Leslie S. August 15, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Taking 25 mg extended release daily around noon and also amlodopine besylate in AM. Assists in lowering blood pressure from around 140/80 to around 130/70. It does keep my heart rate down so when I do exercise I can actually go for longer because my inappropriate sinus tachycardia is minimized. I was originally prescribed this to assist in outbursts of physiologically induced sinus tachycardia of which I've not had since starting metoprolol."

Kiwidev (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2015