User Reviews for Valsartan

Also known as: Diovan

Learn more about Valsartan.

Left Ventricular Dysfunction 2 reviews 15 medications

9.5
High Blood Pressure 54 reviews 261 medications

6.8
Heart Failure 0 reviews 129 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Valsartan reviews 56 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Valsartan

Review by ddsmile (taken for less than 1 month):

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: I recently started taking this medication for about 1 month 80mg/day and I have experienced shortness of breath going up one flight of stairs, muscle weakness during light housework, and heart palpitations for no reason, dizziness and fatigue. I went on vacation to palm desert and wasn't watching my sodium intake and not keeping hydrated. I paid dearly by watching my blood pressure go from 140/90 to 180/105 and ended up at urgent care. Doc gave me Diazide to flush out the sodium and now my blood pressure is 110/70 and cardiologist decreased Diazide to 40mg. Some of Diovan's side effects are dissipating with this reduction. I am not happy taking any medication unless necessary especially at the age of 46. Hope to be off all medicines soon.

July 2, 2014 12:41 AM

Review by Runner's Cramp (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For High Blood Pressure: 7 years ago my Blood pressure skyrocketed 110/100. I was going through some personnel issues at home and Dr. put me on Toprol(Beta-Blocker) didn't work, having heart palpitations. I started running and also changed my Meds to Diovan 160mg. BP went down to 110/70.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 26, 2013 4:32 PM

Review by MollyTx (taken for 10 years or more):

Diovan (valsartan) for Left Ventricular Dysfunction: I take Diovan daily with Norvasc 5mg. I have had no issues with either medicine. I have had no issues with edema either, which is a relief.

September 7, 2013 2:14 PM

Review by Annarac (taken for 10 years or more):

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: Prevented fluid buildup near vocal cords experienced with other medications to treat condition.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2013 10:00 PM

Review by Jerrypaull (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For High Blood Pressure: Been on 40 mg/day Valsartan for several years, works great at lowering blood pressure. Believe it causes delayed ejaculation.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 18, 2013 3:27 PM

Review by 246810:

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: Have been taking Diovan 160mg twice daily along with hydrochlorothiazide 25mg for 2 years. Developed a shortness of breath which they told me was asthma problem that I never had before. I insisted it was the medication and was told it wasn't because it worked great for my blood pressure. Had 2 near death experiences from "asthma attacks". They stopped the Diovan and hydrochlorothiazide and I haven't had any problems with breathing. I can be very active without losing my breath now. Now trying to find something else that works as good on my blood pressure.

August 13, 2013 12:32 PM

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: Diovan does the trick as far as the blood pressure goes. I have been an athlete my whole life so high blood pressure was just never dreamed of. The only problem is my erectile dysfunction, which was never a problem before this. Guess I will have to take the bad with the good.

October 8, 2012 10:03 PM

Review by Butch T. (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: I've been taking Diovan HCT (80/12.5) for a little over one year. It has done the trick on my blood pressure but leaves me with a slight headache and afternoon lethargy. After about 8:00 pm I usually start to feel better. My doctor and I tried 3 other medicines before Diovan HCT with no results. I don't know if the side effects are something I will just have to live with or not. I will discuss this on my next Dr.'s visit.

June 23, 2012 7:16 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Diovan (valsartan) for Left Ventricular Dysfunction: It has no side effect, I take it in combination of Bystolic 5 Mg and Fish Oil

May 20, 2012 8:45 AM

Review by nctrucker (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: Experience tiredness, no energy.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2012 6:24 AM

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: Diovan HCT has controlled my blood pressure for over 10 years. Recently though my potassium has dropped, I've experienced atrial fibrillation and have noticed ringing in my ears. Have gone to just Diovan and have dropped the diuretic.

January 21, 2012 4:59 PM

Review by firefae:

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: Worked great for my blood pressure however I had to stop this medicine because of severe and rapid hair loss.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2011 4:33 AM

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: I started taking Diovan 80 mg some 15 years ago, worked great for me. After about 5 years I developed an allergy to the sun and after many skin biopsy's was diagnosed with Discoid lupus. Had to stay out of the sun, almost like a vampire. My insurance (drug coverage) would no longer cover this medicine so my Doctor prescribed enalapril which worked for a while then blood pressure became erratic, and trying several other medicines made me so sluggish. My Doctor wrote for Diovan again, medically necessary and within 3 days I had a severe skin rash, and low and behold, I never had Discoid lupus, quit taking it. Back to enalapril and now blood pressure is crazy again. Wish I could take Diovan, but want to enjoy the beaches. Back to square one.

March 16, 2011 4:31 PM

Review by sha7411:

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: I used to use lisinopril for two months and my blood pressure would be controlled for a couple of days then uncontrolled and terribly high ranging 170/110 or 180/100 at times. It took about a month to get my blood pressure to range between 142/90 to 124/86. Then my medicines got changed to Diovan because of the severe side effects and I felt 100x better. The first day I took the Diovan it felt like an internal message feeling my blood vessels dilate. It works really well my blood pressure averages around 115/70 and I take it daily...BUT when I get to the Doctors office I become so worried (white coat syndrome) my blood pressure is sky high. So my doctor just added a diuretic also.

January 25, 2011 11:43 PM

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: I take Diovan along with amlodipine and benazepril. My blood pressure is typically about 120-130/70-84. I don't know how much is due to the Diovan vs Lotrel, but I do know that Lotrel taken by itself was unable to get these results. As for side effects, I do seem to have dry cough(varying amounts), some dehydration, darker urine, and substantially less-frequent ejaculations. However, I am not sure if it is the medication that causes such things even though such things are recognized as side-effects.

December 10, 2010 9:29 PM

Review by Belfast37:

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: Taking this for two months and really fatigued - used to run marathons for last three years but now VERY tired. Thinking of going back to doctor and trying another blood pressure medication.

September 29, 2010 7:04 AM

Review by michael hinton:

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: I went through a mountain of different blood pressure medications, until I tried Diovan. Most of the other medicines either didn't work or the side effects were severe. It may be expensive but it works. Recently my medicare provider wanted me to try Cozaar, because they don't cover Diovan(cost). I will stay with Diovan even if I have to pay for it myself.

July 26, 2010 11:19 AM

Review by Susanna Currie Harper:

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: I used several medications before my cardiologist prescribed Diovan. I have had wonderful results, no side effects of any type and would suggest Diovan to anyone needing their blood pressure controlled. I consider this medication a miracle! It has been for me! I m 66 years old and have used it for 7 years.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 3, 2010 11:54 AM

Review by MargeARK:

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: I have been using Diovan for several years and it works great, however now my insurance company wants me to resort to Losartan. When I was on Lotensin it didn't do the job. Hope Losartan does.

May 18, 2010 9:08 AM

Review by Irishdc:

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: Yes, it lowered my blood pressure. I had, and still do, a persistent lingering dry cough, which led to many visits to the doctor's office: spirometry, chest xray, antibiotics, and more, to rule out any other reason for the cough. And I did hear from one of my co-workers later that her father had a similar experience, cough after taking Diovan.

May 15, 2010 4:45 PM

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: I have been on this medication for about six years. At first it lowered my blood pressure but lately I am still in the 140s over 90s and recently started having ringing in my ears. During the time I was taking this I would become tired during the day and could not walk up one flight of stairs without being out of breath. I started on a workout regime for 9 months now to get into shape and still had fatigue and shortness of breath. I also started to have slight heart palpitations, so I decided to quit all medicines, keep track of my blood pressure and went to the doctor and told him my symptoms and plans. I changed my lifestyle to be much healthier than it had been with diet and exercise. No more fatigue and pressure is even better.

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2010 8:11 PM

Review by pamslave:

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: Controls my blood pressure but gives me stomach pain. Used to take 160 MG, had pain now I take 320/12.5 and I have terrible pains in my center and upper stomach. I am asking the doctor to try another pill. Can'tr take it any more!

April 6, 2010 7:25 PM

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: Taking drug for about 5 years and blood pressure stays around 140/93. All of a sudden started having ringing in ears and decided to go off Diovan after reading this was a side effect. Also noticed shortness of breath, weight gain and tiredness. Now blood pressure is about the same without Diovan or any other medication except still have the ringing in the ears.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2010 12:56 AM

Review by Hate Insurance Comp.:

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: I have been taking 160mg/25 for 5 years & have had no problems. No side affects at all. Had to change as insurance company will not pay for it $126.00 month.

January 19, 2010 2:59 PM

Diovan (valsartan) for High Blood Pressure: I've been taking Diovan for 2 weeks now and so far, it has the fewest side effects (other than hives and painful walking) and gets my blood pressure down (144/88). My system is very sensitive,but with blood pressure running 176/100 and higher, I am thankful this helps.

January 2, 2010 8:13 PM