Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Diltiazem

Also known as: Cardizem, Cardizem CD, Cardizem LA, Cardizem Monovial, Cardizem SR, Cartia XT, Dilacor XR, Dilt-XR, Diltia XT, Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD, Diltiazem Hydrochloride SR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XT, Diltzac, Matzim LA, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Diltiazem.

Heart Failure 0 reviews 129 medications

6.5
Summary of Diltiazem reviews 46 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Diltiazem

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: Dropped the blood pressure from 150/110 to 90/60 in 4 days but the fatigue/constipation and just an unwell feeling has made me stop this medicine.

June 16, 2014 3:53 AM

Review by DANIEL112 (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Blood Pressure: Couldn't sleep all night. Had all hallucinations, unusual bad dreams, nightmares. But I did feel the chest pressure ease up and chest pains gone. I informed my Dr. and he immediately told me to stop the medicine. This was my first time on this pill. Diltiazem ER 120mg. 1 at bedtime.

March 18, 2014 3:10 PM

Review by Nanny Robyn (taken for 10 years or more):

For High Blood Pressure: I have been taking Diltiazem 360 mg once a day for about 10 years along with 20 mg per day of Lisinopril for high blood pressure. I am 58 years old. This combination has kept me at normal BP numbers all these years. The Diltiazem capsules are 180 mg each so obviously I have to take 2 capsules (at the same time). I have noticed in the last few months my BP gets pretty low...about 90/60 and even lower. Every time I bend over I get real lightheaded not to mention feeling tired all the time so I decided to take just one capsule per day of the diltiazem along with the Lisinopril and in the last 3 days of doing so I feel 100% better! I think the 360mg is too much for me now maybe because I am getting older. My BP now stays about 117/73.

January 13, 2014 5:52 PM

Review by arito:

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: Had high blood pressure episode of 200/120. A combination of acute stress, not enough exercise, pre-diabetic, dehydration, and not watching sodium intake. Moderately fit and no overweight. ER gave me metoprolol 100mg a day and developed an antagonistic/allergic reaction sending me back to the ER. Started on losartan 25mg for two days and BP didn't go down as expected. Stress test show normal everything except for borderline BP and rapid heart rate 112. Cardiologist put me in 120mg Cartia XT. Took a first dose last night, BP dropped 80/60 77 no symptoms, had water and feet up. Woke up with 100/70 82 laying down an 110/70 86 standing up. So far ringing of the ears, I hear my heart sounds and dry mouth. It's working so far. I will take it in the morning instead.

December 7, 2013 12:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Cardizem (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: I've been on it for 6 months and the constant diarrhea and nausea is getting to me. I need to call my doctor to find a alternative.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 20, 2013 12:07 PM

Review by Marcia64 (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Blood Pressure: I will give this medication a couple more days, but so far it has been awful for me because of the side effects. I am constantly dizzy/lightheaded and feeling slightly sick to my stomach. As I have a daily 60 mile round-trip commute to and from work, that's scary. It also appears to be affecting my depth perception.

October 14, 2013 6:35 PM

Review by stephanieho (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: Diltiazem for High Blood Pressure: Atrial Fibrillation: Atrial Flutter I took Diltiazem before surgery and then continued it after for high blood pressure. It worked just fine for a while although the 12 hr only lasted for 4- 5 hours in my case. Then I started getting toothaches and really bad gingivitis. I did have gingivitis already. I also started feeling lousy and only by coincidence did I stop taking the Diltiazem. Two day later my toothaches were gone and my gums stated clearing up. I still thought it was a coincidence. I restarted Diltiazem again and the same thing happened again.

September 29, 2013 10:10 PM

Review by Cheesehead in Wisco:

For Atrial Fibrillation: I think this slows my heart rate down too much and causes the extra beats to be thrown in. I've found that when I'm at rest is when I have the issues. I've gotten a 2nd opinion and was switched to metoprolol. We'll see if that works better.

September 22, 2013 11:48 AM

Review by jarc (taken for less than 1 month):

Cardizem CD (diltiazem) for Atrial Fibrillation: I was happy with medication, as I did not have as many side effect, but on day 17 of taking it, I developed a rash on my stomach, next day chest and lower back, third day neck and face. It was the only thing I was doing differently, so I looked up its side effects. Rash was listed and could occur within 10 to 20 days. It is a Saturday, so as advised online I stopped the medication. I hope this a temporary condition, and I can begin again, or an alternative can be found.

July 27, 2013 3:05 PM

Review by NanaDW (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: I have taken this for over a 18 months. It works great. I have Atrial Fibrillation and Tachycardia. I had previously taken Rythmol for six months - it added 20 pounds to me and I was eating less and less. The diltiazem is working great, started on 120mg but just recently went to 180mg. Having a few more episodes but am also dealing with breast health issues - it could very well be from anxiety from this rather than actual heart issues. Very hard to discern. Would recommend this over Rythmol - hands down, and in the last 6 months have lost 10 of the 20 Rythmol put on me.

April 24, 2013 11:07 PM

Review by Gene D. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Atrial Fibrillation: I am 60 years old and started taking diltiazem 240mg about 11/20/2012 along with Xarelto 20mg and Sotalol 80mg twice a day after being diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. On 12/21/2012, I had an electrocardioversion that did not cure the atrial fibrillation. Today (1/28/2013), I visited my Cardiologist and my pulse is down to the low 60's, my BP is normal and the irregular heartbeat is under control. He said to discontinue the Xarelto, but to continue with the Diltiazem and Sotalol. He is monitoring my heart for the next 24 hours.

January 28, 2013 12:26 PM

Review by Dragonbreath:

Taztia XT (diltiazem) for : Great medicine. Helped me revert to normal rhythm without noticeable side effects. It's a big pill to swallow but it can be sprinkled on food/applesauce if necessary.

December 23, 2012 7:24 PM

Cardizem CD (diltiazem) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: I am on 240 mg once a day, Been taking meds since Feb 2011. Works GREAT for treating the heart problem only I have side effects. A week after starting the medication at the lowest dosage I developed sinus congestion. Increased my medication after six months and the congestion continued and now developed sinus drainage down my throat that caused a cough. Medicine was increased again and now the congestion/cough/wheezing is getting unbearable. I took myself off the medicines and within 4 days all my symptoms were GONE!

October 1, 2012 9:21 PM

Review by Tasha2 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: I took Cartia XT 120 mg once a day for thousands of PACs and PSVT. Cartia is mild, with few side effects, but good results. I took (Teva brand) Diltiazem EX 120 mg and had problems. I found out when I took leftover Cartia's that the problem is the Teva brand doesn't work as well for me.

June 25, 2012 8:31 PM

Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD (diltiazem) for Atrial Fibrillation: Excellent control of my atrial fibrillation. Significantly improved my quality of life.

March 25, 2012 7:48 PM

Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: My Dad takes this one. My whole family has problems with the horrible side effects of blood pressure medicines. My Dad is very picky and tolerates this one well.

March 1, 2012 12:17 AM

Review by stargazer50:

Tiazac (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: 360mg/daily: severe thirst, dry eye, dry mouth, itchy skin. Went to have a 2nd opinion and that MD put me on 180mg ER twice daily with no ill effects. I must have been sensitive to an agent within the 360 mg SA compound.

February 5, 2012 5:23 PM

Review by RdenicolaJR:

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for Atrial Fibrillation: I really like this medicine. Take 180mg in the morning and one in evening. Really it is the right medicine for me. I am not tired at all, but make sure you take it everyday. I stopped for 2 days..felt really bad. I highly recommend this ...do not take any generics..pay the money for the real deal.

January 14, 2012 6:54 PM

Review by BlondeNurse:

Cardizem CD (diltiazem) for Atrial Flutter: I have been diagnosed for 3 years with tachycardia and the doctor does not know why I have such a high heart rate. Was put on this medicine. Still at rest my heart rate is over 100. Yesterday he upped the dosage from 180 to 240mg. I'm so tired of having this problem and taking this medicine.

November 10, 2011 12:19 PM

Cardizem CD (diltiazem) for Atrial Fibrillation: Been on this for over 1 month. AF still happening nearly everyday. May last for 36 hours. I don't think it does any good. I'll see doctor in 12 days. Hope he has something else to try.

January 14, 2011 2:03 PM

Review by Grandbabies6:

For Atrial Flutter: My cardiologist started me on this medicine, 60 mg 2 x a day. Everytime I took a dosage, I ended up with a severe pain across my back. When I stopped taking the medication, within 24 hours the pain went away. It reminded me of the same kind of pain one gets with a kidney infection. So I quit taking the medicine.

December 30, 2010 10:11 AM

Review by vivianlinda:

Cardizem (diltiazem) for Atrial Fibrillation: Taking it for many years with no adverse effects. It's been highly effective.

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 7, 2010 10:09 PM

Review by PeggieQ:

For High Blood Pressure: I just start 240 mg for high blood pressure/high heart rate. Although I felt fine, my legs and feet swelled up. Talk about major fluid retention!

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2010 11:21 AM

Review by NanFan:

Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: I had been on Diltiazem CR (controlled release) 240mg per day, took it every morning faithfully. I am now in Spain where they do not have the controlled release but gave me Diltiazem regular release 60mg. The first day I took all four at once in the morning and it dragged me down so far I about collapsed. Now, I'm trying to regulate it, taking one 60mg in the morning, then one at noon, then one about 4pm, then one about 8pm. I have heard that some blood pressure medicines shouldn't be taken before one goes to bed. Does anyone know about this one?

January 28, 2010 2:43 PM

Cardizem (diltiazem) for Raynaud's Syndrome: Recently diagnosed. Has helped tremendously on circulation and fatigue. I was amazed that I was able to grab a handful of snow for a short time without triggering an onset of usual numb painful cycle. I started off with 180mg and now on 300mg daily. I now have my thermostat set lower and get hot wearing long sleeves now! I'm a happy camper for the first time in years.

January 25, 2010 7:52 AM