User Reviews for Diltiazem

Also known as: Cardizem, Cardizem CD, Cardizem LA, Cardizem Monovial, Cardizem SR, Cartia XT, Dilacor XR, Dilt-XR, Diltia XT, Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD, Diltiazem Hydrochloride SR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XT, Diltzac, Matzim LA, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Diltiazem.

Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis 2 reviews 128 medications

Atrial Flutter 2 reviews 25 medications

6.5
Summary of Diltiazem reviews 52 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Diltiazem

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I just started on 120mg ER Diltiazem once daily. I am 45 male, 6'3" 210 lbs, with SVT history. I past been on Metropolol, Atenlol and Bystolic. I had horrible side effects with Beta Blockers. Doc switched me to Diltiazem because he said less side effects. My SVT results in 1-3 second arrythmias and then they stop. I havent been experiencing the SVT in quite some time but my chief complaint is the sinus HeartRate. My resting heartrate on BB was 75bbm. I weaned off BB and for 2 days was medicine free but my resting HR was 90 which quickly shot up when I did anything. I did feel alot better for those 2 days but I went back on 2.5mg Bystolic until I saw Doctor. Day 3 on Diltiazem and resting HR 85/90. Feel better but doesnt seem to slow HR down"

amscott3 (taken for less than 1 month) July 11, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "I take 180mg. Once a day. It is a wonder drug. It helped lower my blood pressure but it also helps with my headaches. When I feel a migraine coming my doctor gave me 120mg for the migranes and I lay down for an hour or two and my migraine is gone."

wy June 29, 2015

For Angina Pectoris Prophylaxis: "I'm 31 years old and have started having high blood pressure. Hydrochlorothiazide didn't work. After seeing the cardiologist I started dilitiazem 24hr er 120mg cap for high blood pressure and angina. I feel like I worked instantly, on my third dose I checked my blood pressure and in was lower, it was still at risk, but it was much lower, and my pulse was normal. I do feel slightly dizzy for a split second. I don't feel tired and I drive all day with it. I have had a loss of appetite, but I think that's a good thing so I can get this weight off. I'm using this medicine along with diet and slow pace exercise. This is day four and I still have a slight chest pain for a second once or twice a day, but I know its working because I feel better."

JadaVA (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "For years (More like forever) I kept getting diagnosed with panic attacks since by the time I would get to the ER the "episode" had stopped. Last year I had the worst and longest episode I'd ever experienced. By the time I got to the ER my heart rate was still in the 190's. At 41yrs old, I Finally found out it had been A-Fib the last 20 years. Was prescribed Diltiazem (Cardizem) 60mg every 6hrs and I love it! A little bumpy in the beginning. Sensitivity to sunlight and tiredness/dizzy but not bothersome to the point I wanted to stop. After about a week the mild side effects had passed and well, It's just awesome. I highly recommend to help control A-Fib symptoms."

nparks35 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "Atrial fibrillation due to chemotherapy. After lisinopril - metroprol and losartan I started on this - AND I LOVED IT - dizzy at first but it worked itself out after few days - heart rate was way to low at first but resolved itself - just as it all worked out and I went for my first bike ride I developed a rash - stomach - back - neck - legs then buttocks so on day 4 I'm stopping. Bummer."

FTCNYC (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2015

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I've been taking 180mg timed-release dilt capsules for two years after my 95%-effective catheter ablation for atrial flutter. I still get mild and transient afibs most mornings at 5 a.m. or so. They stop after ten minutes or when i sit up or get up to use the restroom. I think the vagus nerve responds to bladder pressure and sends a wrong signal to the heart to act up. I'm on low dosage by prefernce. Perhaps I'll ask for higher dosage if the transient episodes start to last longer or feel more severe. I can barely feel the "quivering' sensation that afib causes in my chest so I am happy for now."

Navigaiter Meece March 3, 2015

For High Blood Pressure: "Dropped the blood pressure from 150/110 to 90/60 in 4 days but the fatigue/constipation and just an unwell feeling has made me stop this medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "Couldn't sleep all night. Had all hallucinations, unusual bad dreams, nightmares. But I did feel the chest pressure ease up and chest pains gone. I informed my Dr. and he immediately told me to stop the medicine. This was my first time on this pill. Diltiazem ER 120mg. 1 at bedtime."

DANIEL112 (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2014

For High Blood Pressure: "I have been taking Diltiazem 360 mg once a day for about 10 years along with 20 mg per day of Lisinopril for high blood pressure. I am 58 years old. This combination has kept me at normal BP numbers all these years. The Diltiazem capsules are 180 mg each so obviously I have to take 2 capsules (at the same time). I have noticed in the last few months my BP gets pretty low...about 90/60 and even lower. Every time I bend over I get real lightheaded not to mention feeling tired all the time so I decided to take just one capsule per day of the diltiazem along with the Lisinopril and in the last 3 days of doing so I feel 100% better! I think the 360mg is too much for me now maybe because I am getting older. My BP now stays about 117/73."

Nanny Robyn (taken for 10 years or more) January 13, 2014

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "Had high blood pressure episode of 200/120. A combination of acute stress, not enough exercise, pre-diabetic, dehydration, and not watching sodium intake. Moderately fit and no overweight. ER gave me metoprolol 100mg a day and developed an antagonistic/allergic reaction sending me back to the ER. Started on losartan 25mg for two days and BP didn't go down as expected. Stress test show normal everything except for borderline BP and rapid heart rate 112. Cardiologist put me in 120mg Cartia XT. Took a first dose last night, BP dropped 80/60 77 no symptoms, had water and feet up. Woke up with 100/70 82 laying down an 110/70 86 standing up. So far ringing of the ears, I hear my heart sounds and dry mouth. It's working so far. I will take it in the morning instead."

arito December 7, 2013

Cardizem (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "I've been on it for 6 months and the constant diarrhea and nausea is getting to me. I need to call my doctor to find a alternative."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 20, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: "I will give this medication a couple more days, but so far it has been awful for me because of the side effects. I am constantly dizzy/lightheaded and feeling slightly sick to my stomach. As I have a daily 60 mile round-trip commute to and from work, that's scary. It also appears to be affecting my depth perception. "

Marcia64 (taken for less than 1 month) October 14, 2013

For High Blood Pressure: "Diltiazem for High Blood Pressure: Atrial Fibrillation: Atrial Flutter I took Diltiazem before surgery and then continued it after for high blood pressure. It worked just fine for a while although the 12 hr only lasted for 4- 5 hours in my case. Then I started getting toothaches and really bad gingivitis. I did have gingivitis already. I also started feeling lousy and only by coincidence did I stop taking the Diltiazem. Two day later my toothaches were gone and my gums stated clearing up. I still thought it was a coincidence. I restarted Diltiazem again and the same thing happened again."

stephanieho (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 29, 2013

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I think this slows my heart rate down too much and causes the extra beats to be thrown in. I've found that when I'm at rest is when I have the issues. I've gotten a 2nd opinion and was switched to metoprolol. We'll see if that works better. "

Cheesehead in Wisco September 22, 2013

Cardizem CD (diltiazem) for Atrial Fibrillation: "I was happy with medication, as I did not have as many side effect, but on day 17 of taking it, I developed a rash on my stomach, next day chest and lower back, third day neck and face. It was the only thing I was doing differently, so I looked up its side effects. Rash was listed and could occur within 10 to 20 days. It is a Saturday, so as advised online I stopped the medication. I hope this a temporary condition, and I can begin again, or an alternative can be found."

jarc (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2013

For Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I have taken this for over a 18 months. It works great. I have Atrial Fibrillation and Tachycardia. I had previously taken Rythmol for six months - it added 20 pounds to me and I was eating less and less. The diltiazem is working great, started on 120mg but just recently went to 180mg. Having a few more episodes but am also dealing with breast health issues - it could very well be from anxiety from this rather than actual heart issues. Very hard to discern. Would recommend this over Rythmol - hands down, and in the last 6 months have lost 10 of the 20 Rythmol put on me."

NanaDW (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 24, 2013

For Atrial Fibrillation: "I am 60 years old and started taking diltiazem 240mg about 11/20/2012 along with Xarelto 20mg and Sotalol 80mg twice a day after being diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. On 12/21/2012, I had an electrocardioversion that did not cure the atrial fibrillation. Today (1/28/2013), I visited my Cardiologist and my pulse is down to the low 60's, my BP is normal and the irregular heartbeat is under control. He said to discontinue the Xarelto, but to continue with the Diltiazem and Sotalol. He is monitoring my heart for the next 24 hours."

Gene D. (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2013

Taztia XT (diltiazem) for : "Great medicine. Helped me revert to normal rhythm without noticeable side effects. It's a big pill to swallow but it can be sprinkled on food/applesauce if necessary."

Dragonbreath December 23, 2012

Cardizem CD (diltiazem) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I am on 240 mg once a day, Been taking meds since Feb 2011. Works GREAT for treating the heart problem only I have side effects. A week after starting the medication at the lowest dosage I developed sinus congestion. Increased my medication after six months and the congestion continued and now developed sinus drainage down my throat that caused a cough. Medicine was increased again and now the congestion/cough/wheezing is getting unbearable. I took myself off the medicines and within 4 days all my symptoms were GONE!"

Anonymous October 1, 2012

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for Supraventricular Tachycardia: "I took Cartia XT 120 mg once a day for thousands of PACs and PSVT. Cartia is mild, with few side effects, but good results. I took (Teva brand) Diltiazem EX 120 mg and had problems. I found out when I took leftover Cartia's that the problem is the Teva brand doesn't work as well for me."

Tasha2 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 25, 2012

Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD (diltiazem) for Atrial Fibrillation: "Excellent control of my atrial fibrillation. Significantly improved my quality of life."

Anonymous March 25, 2012

Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "My Dad takes this one. My whole family has problems with the horrible side effects of blood pressure medicines. My Dad is very picky and tolerates this one well. "

Anonymous March 1, 2012

Tiazac (diltiazem) for High Blood Pressure: "360mg/daily: severe thirst, dry eye, dry mouth, itchy skin. Went to have a 2nd opinion and that MD put me on 180mg ER twice daily with no ill effects. I must have been sensitive to an agent within the 360 mg SA compound."

stargazer50 February 5, 2012

Cartia XT (diltiazem) for Atrial Fibrillation: "I really like this medicine. Take 180mg in the morning and one in evening. Really it is the right medicine for me. I am not tired at all, but make sure you take it everyday. I stopped for 2 days..felt really bad. I highly recommend this ...do not take any generics..pay the money for the real deal."

RdenicolaJR January 14, 2012

Cardizem CD (diltiazem) for Atrial Flutter: "I have been diagnosed for 3 years with tachycardia and the doctor does not know why I have such a high heart rate. Was put on this medicine. Still at rest my heart rate is over 100. Yesterday he upped the dosage from 180 to 240mg. I'm so tired of having this problem and taking this medicine. "

BlondeNurse November 10, 2011