User Reviews for Diltiazem

Also known as: Cardizem, Cardizem CD, Cardizem LA, Cardizem Monovial, Cardizem SR, Cartia XT, Dilacor XR, Dilt-XR, Diltia XT, Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD, Diltiazem Hydrochloride SR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XR, Diltiazem Hydrochloride XT, Diltzac, Matzim LA, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Diltiazem.

Diltiazem Review Summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 57 medications used in the treatment of Atrial Fibrillation.

Reviews for Diltiazem to treat Atrial Fibrillation

"For years (More like forever) I kept getting diagnosed with panic attacks since by the time I would get to the ER the "episode" had stopped. Last year I had the worst and longest episode I'd ever experienced. By the time I got to the ER my heart rate was still in the 190's. At 41yrs old, I Finally found out it had been A-Fib the last 20 years. Was prescribed Diltiazem (Cardizem) 60mg every 6hrs and I love it! A little bumpy in the beginning. Sensitivity to sunlight and tiredness/dizzy but not bothersome to the point I wanted to stop. After about a week the mild side effects had passed and well, It's just awesome. I highly recommend to help control A-Fib symptoms."

nparks35 (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 9, 2015

"Atrial fibrillation due to chemotherapy. After lisinopril - metroprol and losartan I started on this - AND I LOVED IT - dizzy at first but it worked itself out after few days - heart rate was way to low at first but resolved itself - just as it all worked out and I went for my first bike ride I developed a rash - stomach - back - neck - legs then buttocks so on day 4 I'm stopping. Bummer."

FTCNYC (taken for less than 1 month) March 24, 2015

"I've been taking 180mg timed-release dilt capsules for two years after my 95%-effective catheter ablation for atrial flutter. I still get mild and transient afibs most mornings at 5 a.m. or so. They stop after ten minutes or when i sit up or get up to use the restroom. I think the vagus nerve responds to bladder pressure and sends a wrong signal to the heart to act up. I'm on low dosage by prefernce. Perhaps I'll ask for higher dosage if the transient episodes start to last longer or feel more severe. I can barely feel the "quivering' sensation that afib causes in my chest so I am happy for now."

Navigaiter Meece March 3, 2015

"I think this slows my heart rate down too much and causes the extra beats to be thrown in. I've found that when I'm at rest is when I have the issues. I've gotten a 2nd opinion and was switched to metoprolol. We'll see if that works better. "

Cheesehead in Wisco September 22, 2013

Cardizem CD (diltiazem): "I was happy with medication, as I did not have as many side effect, but on day 17 of taking it, I developed a rash on my stomach, next day chest and lower back, third day neck and face. It was the only thing I was doing differently, so I looked up its side effects. Rash was listed and could occur within 10 to 20 days. It is a Saturday, so as advised online I stopped the medication. I hope this a temporary condition, and I can begin again, or an alternative can be found."

jarc (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2013

"I am 60 years old and started taking diltiazem 240mg about 11/20/2012 along with Xarelto 20mg and Sotalol 80mg twice a day after being diagnosed with atrial fibrillation. On 12/21/2012, I had an electrocardioversion that did not cure the atrial fibrillation. Today (1/28/2013), I visited my Cardiologist and my pulse is down to the low 60's, my BP is normal and the irregular heartbeat is under control. He said to discontinue the Xarelto, but to continue with the Diltiazem and Sotalol. He is monitoring my heart for the next 24 hours."

Gene D. (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2013

Diltiazem Hydrochloride CD (diltiazem): "Excellent control of my atrial fibrillation. Significantly improved my quality of life."

Anonymous March 25, 2012

Cartia XT (diltiazem): "I really like this medicine. Take 180mg in the morning and one in evening. Really it is the right medicine for me. I am not tired at all, but make sure you take it everyday. I stopped for 2 days..felt really bad. I highly recommend this ...do not take any generics..pay the money for the real deal."

RdenicolaJR January 14, 2012

Cardizem CD (diltiazem): "Been on this for over 1 month. AF still happening nearly everyday. May last for 36 hours. I don't think it does any good. I'll see doctor in 12 days. Hope he has something else to try."

Anonymous January 14, 2011

Cardizem (diltiazem): "Taking it for many years with no adverse effects. It's been highly effective."

vivianlinda June 7, 2010

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"All I know is that it works."

TammyRi September 8, 2009

Cardizem CD (diltiazem): "I have been on this medicine for two months. I have had one attack since I started. I do feel a little tired and weak but no other side effects."

Anonymous September 4, 2009

Cardizem LA (diltiazem): "Helps my atrial fibrillation. Last ECG was normal."

Anonymous August 24, 2009

Cartia XT (diltiazem): "I was on Cartia XT when they discontinued it. It is the ONLY drug that works for me. There was no warning from CVS either. I went into fibrillation. The doctor put me on four different drugs after that of which none worked. One was too hard and large to swallow, one had food dye and I am allergic, and one made my head ring terribly. Another one is on the way but it is twice a day. Since I also have fibromyalgia, I have to be extra careful. "

photoqueen August 10, 2009

Cardizem (diltiazem): "The only drug that has worked to help me get my Atrial fibrillation under control."

karenwest1961 August 2, 2009

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Cartia XT (diltiazem): "I use Cartia XT for A-fibrillation. The only problem I ran into was using generics. CVS switched their provider and it did not work as well. 2 days of A-fibrillation and I went on the real deal. What a difference, everything is back to normal."

Anonymous July 7, 2009

Cartia XT (diltiazem): "I am taking Cartia XT 240 MG for atrial fibrillation. It works and I have not noticed any other side effects other than being sleepy all of the morning. I take it at 6:30 am and usually could fall asleep without much prompting. However I'm not groggy and can concentrate fine. The heart is in rhythm and thats what counts."

chrislikesliving June 11, 2008

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Atrial Fibrillation