User Reviews for Carvedilol

Also known as: Coreg, Coreg CR

Learn more about Carvedilol.

Heart Failure 17 reviews 129 medications

5.2
Summary of Carvedilol reviews 53 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Carvedilol

Review by KaycieD (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Blood Pressure: The lowest dose of Carvedilol 2 times per day was effective in lowering my moderately high blood pressure almost immediately (170/90 that shoots higher under stress). However, it has lowered my blood pressure too low when inactive (100/70 ave.). Sometimes when I sit still or wake up from sleep in the middle of the night or in morning I have a random moment of anxiety followed by extreme dizziness, disorientation and nausea that lasts a good period of time, sometimes 2-3 hours. Before I had a stress test & was cleared as 'perfect' this scared me terribly and my blood pressure would shoot up to 180 /100 . Sometimes after taking I'm drowsy but I'm exhausted from dealing with this and trying to continue with life. Hoping to get off of it asap, effective but horrible side effects.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2014 8:08 PM

Review by Sis363 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: I've been taking carvedilol for three months, it works really good for my extremely high blood pressure. I have experienced rapid weight gain, but I can't be completely sure if the carvedilol is the blame as I am on other medications. It causes sudden dizziness even without standing up to quickly . I'm going to try something else because of the rapid weight gain and out of no where dizziness. I gave it a 7 rating because it works well with lowering my stubborn high blood pressure.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2014 11:33 AM

Review by Young-in (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For High Blood Pressure: Since being put on 6 months ago (severe, resistant hypertension), along with diet and exercise, I have lost 60 lbs and my heart rate is usually in the mid -40s to low 50s when and complete rest (evenings) and in the high 50s - low 60s during the day. I have experienced no negative side effects. Drowsiness was present for the first week or two, but after that I adjusted and feel no side effects. Most important thing - if you are doing aerobic exercise while on this medication, DO NOT USE A HEART MONITOR as it does reduce heart rate. Normal heart rate ranges while on this medication to not apply and can cause damage if you attempt to the normal 180bpm. Consult a physician for activity restrictions while taking Carvedilol.

January 13, 2014 7:40 AM

Review by Paikie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Coreg (carvedilol) for Heart Failure: I was hospitalized 3 years ago for Congestive Heart Failure and Atrial Fibrillation with an EF of 20%. After a 17-day hospital stay & an ablation, I was sent home with many meds, including Coreg. I started at the lowest dosage and slowly got to tolerate my current dosage of 12.5 mg 2x day. My current EF is 45% & I believe Coreg continues to save my life every day.

November 26, 2013 8:04 PM

Review by anynomous again:

For Atrial Fibrillation: Carvedilol has caused my heart rate to be in the high 40's to low 50's. But the atrial fibrillation has not returned.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2013 3:56 PM

Review by cachef1 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For High Blood Pressure: I had been put on carvedilol along with valsartan 160/25. It worked for blood pressure, however my cardiologist advised me that it was a significant contributor to my erectile dysfunction. After various trials in dosage, we eliminated carvedilol altogether and went to Bystolic with good BP results and no erectile dysfunction complications. Carvedilol may be good for those with actual heart problems, but just for control of BP, we found a great substitute without all the side effects.

July 8, 2013 9:31 PM

Coreg (carvedilol) for Left Ventricular Dysfunction: My daughter was prescribed this medication because it was the medicine that showed significant improvement to help Left ventricular dysfunction.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 21, 2013 10:37 AM

Review by Beatcha!:

Coreg (carvedilol) for Heart Failure: I participated in the blind study at University hospital in Denver CO in the 90's. EF was 12% was given 6 months to live in 1992 at 24 yrs old, a 6 month old daughter. I must have gotten the actual medicine in the trial. I was glad to participate, and was excited when FDA approved Coreg. I had gotten to over 400lbs. Now 22 years later my EF is 52% and weight 165 and a B.S. M.S. degree and working on Ph.D and watching my daughter do wonderful things. I'm grateful for Coreg and my awesome cardiac and PCP team.

March 9, 2013 4:40 PM

Review by JerryDhutch:

Coreg (carvedilol) for High Blood Pressure: I have had great results with Coreg . My blood pressure was high and heart rate and now my pressure is normal and heart rate is much slower.

March 8, 2013 7:35 AM

Review by OR_Nightingale (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Blood Pressure: After being on atenolol for about 30 years, switching to carvedilol was a vast improvement. My heart does not seem to be working as hard. No side effects that I can notice so far.

February 19, 2013 4:19 PM

Review by Bill three (taken for 10 years or more):

Coreg (carvedilol) for High Blood Pressure: I have been taking Cozaar 50 mg a day combined with Coreg 25 mg 2x daily for about 10 years. My blood pressure was 200/120. About 2 years ago Coreg CR 20mg replaced the Coreg daily. This regimen slowly reduced my BP to 100/60. This BP was too low so I stopped the Coreg CR completely. I am now on Cozaar 50 mg 1 per day and my BP is averaging 125/60-70.

January 14, 2013 2:09 PM

Coreg (carvedilol) for Atrial Fibrillation: Works good except several periods per month of 2 to 3 days when palpitations are much worse.

November 22, 2012 8:13 AM

Review by wes/ (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Heart Failure: This medicine has worked wonders, with my congestive heart failure, high blood pressure and atrial fibrillation.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2012 1:02 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Coreg (carvedilol) for High Blood Pressure: After only a few weeks this medicine has caused debilitating joint pain in my ankles, knees, wrists and hips. I find it difficult to even get out of bed or feed myself on this medicine.

August 14, 2012 3:45 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For High Blood Pressure: I was on this for a month. I also have COPD. I have been getting weak, couldn't walk farther than a few steps without having to rest and totally exhausted about an hour after taking this medicine. Dr. thought my COPD was getting worse but couldn't control it. I remembered I started feeling this way right after being switched from Metoprolol to this medicine. I refused to take it again and after missing two doses, I can breath and walk again. Back on Metoprolol.

June 6, 2012 1:13 PM

Review by marianne1927 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For High Blood Pressure: I have been on carvedilol taking 12.5 mg. 4 x a day for over one year. It lowered my blood pressure but my feet and ankles have severe swelling no matter what kind of shoes I wear and my toes feel tingly most of the time. I wonder if this is a side effect of this medicine. I also started ExForge about the same time. It is difficult to walk for more than 30 min. I am 66 yrs. old and a female.

June 2, 2012 10:07 PM

Review by this drug is poison:

For High Blood Pressure: Headaches, dizziness, and nausea so bad I want to stay in bed but can't because I also have trouble breathing after I take it.

March 13, 2012 9:41 PM

Coreg (carvedilol) for High Blood Pressure: Works well but does not mix well with hydrochlorothiazide (water pill). Causes blood pressure to decrease too much.

February 15, 2012 11:01 AM

For High Blood Pressure: Cardio Dr reduced original RX to 1 6.25mg tab per day. Second day resulted in so many problems I concidered calling the paramedics. It was so bad I could not even think to call 911. Totally stopped it and had two episodes of weird Dreams that interrupted sleep.

January 24, 2012 12:56 AM

Coreg (carvedilol) for Left Ventricular Dysfunction: The side effects were almost unbearable the first month. The second month has been better now that I am used to Coreg. Feeling so much better now. My Left Ventricular Dysfunction has improved.

January 7, 2012 9:44 AM

Coreg (carvedilol) for High Blood Pressure: 6.25mg of this product 2 X daily, reduced my 160/120 BP to 120/78 in two days.

December 31, 2011 2:56 PM

Coreg (carvedilol) for Heart Failure: Started living with congestive heart failure caused by virus in 1996. Started on Coreg in 2001 when EF hit 15. Went back up to 41 within a few months and remains at that level. I am now 68. I'm sure I wouldn't be here, were it not for this medicine. Don't seem to have side effects.

December 5, 2011 6:12 PM

Coreg (carvedilol) for High Blood Pressure: Did not work for my moderately high blood pressure.

September 26, 2011 10:28 AM

Coreg (carvedilol) for Heart Failure: Great when you start at a low dose. Then as Doctor increases dose I get less and less benefit.

August 30, 2011 12:48 AM

Coreg (carvedilol) for High Blood Pressure: I have used this drug since developing CHF on the operating table in 2001 and I am still alive and feel pretty good. I am 75 years old now.

June 17, 2011 5:01 PM