User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism 5 reviews 1 medications

4.7
Summary of Spironolactone reviews 130 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Spironolactone

Review by My_life_is_fabulous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Acne: I've been on this medication for about six months. I'm 37 years old and I've had acne since I was 12 years old. I had tried every medicine out there pretty much. This medication has made my skin clearer than it has been since I was 12! I use it in combination with clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide face cream at night. Occasionally around my cycle I will get one or two pimples but they clear up quickly. I am so pleased to have my life and my self-confidence back! One thing I will note, my sex drive is through the roof! And I am not complaining about that, nor is my husband!!!

January 8, 2015 11:39 AM

Review by Extremely Happy With Results (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Acne: Late 30's - Moderate to severe Acne since puberty - hormonal and whiteheads. Tried this after problems with antibiotics and before conceding to Accutane. It took 5 MONTHS before I saw results from this medicine. The current results are fantastic. I'm so glad I stayed with it. I'm on month 7 now and have minor breakouts. Will resume Aczone and Tretinoin to supplement treatment.

December 26, 2014 2:41 PM

Review by Tessie13 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I am currently taking this and have been for about 3 or so months. At first I was on 25 mg which didn't do much. I started 50 mg, then 100 and saw drastic changes. My skin was always fine until I hit 23. Now at 25 my skin hates me apparently. I had cysts all along my jawline cheeks and some on my neck that left pigmentation spots. This medicine has drastically changed my skin, I have minimal breakouts, smaller and not as often. My skin is less oily and I've lost 10 pounds without trying. My skin looks 90 percent better and my leg hair doesn't grow as fast! (Yay!) downside is that it does make me dizzy sometimes and lightheaded. And I've had minimal random Heart palpitations. Other than that it worked for me, had to wait a month or so though.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2014 2:15 PM

Review by CarissaA:

For Hirsutism: I was prescribed Aldactone 100mg for facial hair. At first I had side effects of discomfort in my stomach however I persisted and it stopped. This medication works, it's slows down the hair growth however the side effects out way the results. Irregular periods, heavy bleeding, constipation, feet swelling, appetite and stomach pain, the list goes on. Even though I have reduced the dose from 100, to 75 and further to 50 I will be getting off this.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2014 6:28 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: This really works! I was a little hesitant because it seemed like nothing would clear up my acne. After about 2 weeks my face was clearing up and I was no longer getting acne where I usually did (forehead, chin). I had a few weird breakouts like near my lip and on my nose which never used to happen but they cleared up pretty fast. This combined with scar gel has really improved my face. No side effects that I have noticed.

December 19, 2014 3:55 PM

Review by Natcat:

For Acne: Breakouts of 2-4 of cystic acne pimples on chin and around mouth have improved but not stopped altogether. They are much smaller, less noticeable, less at a time and don't take as long to heal. I don't know if they're even considered cystic anymore. I have become less oily as well. Used to be able to fill 2 oil blotting sheets after 7 hours, now fill half a sheet (so I'm still oily but not as bad) this has definitely greatly improved my skin but there is still room for improvement and my skin is by no means perfect. I've been on this for 4 months and right now I think I have my worst breakout since going on it: 1 small cystic, 2 average pimples and approximately 2 of those baby bumps.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2014 12:37 AM

Review by portage1980:

For Acne: I had bad to moderate acne for 15 years and that was with on and off visits to a dermatologist for about 7 years with nothing else really working. I was on Accutane and had some negative side effects. But just about a year ago I went on Spironolactone 50mg-100 per day, and loved the results within a three weeks, my skin got way better and less oil production. But my dermatologist keeps trying to take me off it. I have to beg him to keep me on it and he only lets me take 50mg every other day (this does help as my skin is staying pretty good). But I have to admit I am jealous other people get to stay on it and higher doses.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 9, 2014 11:57 PM

Review by Miracle Med (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: Spironolactone cured my acne! I started getting pretty severe acne this year and after trying minocycline and doxycycline which did not work for me, my dermatologist recommended spironolactone. After just 3 weeks, my acne started to calm down and I am currently nearing my 2nd month of spironolactone and my face is acne free. Although I have oily skin, spironolactone really dried up my face and lips so I have to moisturize constantly throughout the day. This medicine took some time to see drastic improvements but it is definitely worth the try!

December 4, 2014 7:05 PM

Review by misslilly22 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: Cystic acne has cleared up. Hair on legs/arms grows more slowly. Hair on head doesn't get greasy. Bust has increased from 34B to 34C. Weight has dropped 10lbs with no lifestyle changes. No anxiety, depression, mood swings, etc. Took approx. 3 months to start seeing these results. Very happy with progress so far.

December 3, 2014 1:23 PM

Review by JDS_79:

For Acne: Small acne began when I was 12. It wasn't long after I began to have cystic acne. The pattern of breakouts were within the T-zone - forehead, nose, chin but I was rarely got then on my outer cheeks. Makeup made them worse, my skin was bad and real oily. All over-the-counter cleaners, medications, and a couple advertised on TV did nothing to help clear my skin. I gave up. But during my mid-20's I decided to see a dermatologist. She prescribed this to me and now my face is clear. People can't believe I suffered from acne it's so clear, and makeup is finally used to accentuate my features rather than hide acne breakouts. People I knew asked what I was doing because it was that drastically visible. For me, it's a miracle.

November 29, 2014 9:53 AM

Review by Love this!:

For Acne: 35 years old. I've been on spironolactone for about 7 weeks now. I began noticing changes right around week 4. My skin is almost as clear as it was years ago when I was on Accutane. Pretty much no side effects as of yet (knock on wood). I've been on every medication possible and nothing worked. Finally I went to a new dermatologist who prescribed spironolactone and I wish I would've found this sooner. I rarely get a pimple now and the only one that I have gotten has been really tiny and has gone away after a day. I hope the success continues.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2014 7:51 PM

Review by Lori moto:

For Acne: I have been taking spironolactone for about 4 months now. My skin is clearer and I have much fewer breakouts. When I first started taking it I had pretty bad orthostatic hypotension, I experienced excessive urinating (mainly right after I took the medication). My acne got worse and it took at least a month for my face to improve. My breast continues to be sore, I am lightheaded still, and I have lost weight. Mind you, I was loosing weight before I started to take this medication. I have noticed that my skin is really dry and becoming more wrinkles (although I'm only 21 so not that wrinkly). My skin has also been itchy but not sure if that is only related to the dryness. This medicine works for acne but there are definite side effects.

November 28, 2014 5:09 PM

Review by LiaK1 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Acne: Amazing! Moderate hormonal acne my entire life. Tried many oral and topical medicines. This is a miracle. I still get a couple small blemishes around ovulation but that's it! So pleased!

November 17, 2014 10:50 PM

Review by Ninaballerina (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I'm 21 years old and I have suffered with acne since I was 16. I would get cysitc type acne all over my cheeks, chin, and forehead. I've been through countless medications to get rid of my acne including antibiotics, topical treatments, and birth control, etc etc. Most of these would only temporarily solve my problem, or not give me any results at all. I felt as though I was out of options and there would never be a cure for me. I talked to my cousin who is a pharmacist and she recommended spironolactone. I've only been on 25mg for a couple weeks but I am already seeing amazing results! I'm almost certain this may be my breakthrough. I only wish I had known of this medication sooner.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 16, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by Kad0813:

For Acne: Great experience with this medicine so far. I started taking 50 mg a day 5 weeks ago and just about a week ago saw significant improvement. I don't think I had an initial breakout but just no improvement in the first 4 weeks. I also use Retin A at night but this alone wasn't enough. Combined with Spiro give great results.

October 24, 2014 4:42 PM

Review by Lildee:

For Acne: This works! I had hormonal cystic acne along my jawline and by my ears. It took 4 months for me to get the right dose but now I don't get any cysts!

October 1, 2014 12:27 AM

Review by mtgirl406:

For Acne: I started taking spironolactone over a year and a half ago for moderate-severe acne that had been giving me awful self esteem, I was afraid to go out, and I was so depressed I was not myself anymore. Spironolactone has given me back my life. I didn't think it would ever be possible for me to feel pretty without makeup, but I'm starting to. I did have a TERRIBLE breakout about a month after starting spironolactone that almost pushed me over the edge; it was miserable. But it cleared, and has continued to do so. It took at least 3 months to see the results I hoped for, but it has just gotten better and better. I'm just hoping this is a good solution for me long-term; I want kids someday and I know I will have to stop this med before pregnancy.

September 20, 2014 4:54 AM

Review by TXgirl78249 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I have always battled acne my whole life. I've been on Spironolactane for 2 months and I'm seeing great results on my skin. I am concerned that my menstrual cycle just won't stop! I had my normal period which is 6 days. I went one week without a period and then started again for 11 days, then off for 5 days and then started again. I'm on day 9 of bleeding. I don't want to take any other meds. Does this get better?

August 8, 2014 4:36 AM

Review by Blinkme:

For Acne: I wanted to love spironolactone. It cleared up my hormonal acne within a month and never let me down. I thought I had finally found the perfect solution to my problem. But after taking it for about a year, I suddenly gained almost twenty pounds. All of the weight gain was in the thigh and hip areas, places I had not experienced weight gain before. Nothing had changed in my daily routine. I work out almost every day and a healthy diet is just part of my lifestyle. I visited the doctor a few weeks ago and she recommended I stop taking it and see what happens. So far, I haven't been able to lose much weight and my acne is already starting to resurface. I've already tried Accutane once and don't want to do it again.

July 21, 2014 10:35 PM

Review by A Rose (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Acne: I was on spironolactone 3 months before I saw results...but once I did they were amazing! I had a lot of pimples around my chin area mostly. Since I've been on the medicine I've had the occasional zit, but it usually resolves faster and isn't huge like previous ones I would I get. I haven't noticed any improvement in the greasiness of my skin, but as long as the acne is gone I'm happy! I have found I can have reliably clear skin and feel so much better about myself overall. It's easier and faster to do my makeup and people are always commenting on how perfect my skin is now! I am definitely happy with this medicine.

July 13, 2014 12:49 PM

Review by Washington, DC:

For Acne: I took antibiotics for a couple of decades. Accutane in the mid-90's. That had a positive impact for 2 years and then the oil glands geared back up and acne again. Doxycycline for roughly another 10 years. Plus Benzoclinze OTC wash and topical treatments such as Differin and Retin A. Autoimmune issues from allergies to hair loss developed. Prescribed spiranolactone to help reduce androgens - hair loss and acne treatment. My acne appears in odd places like scalp, inside ears plus face and my upper back and neck. The oil produced can best be described as feeling like bacon grease. Med works for acne/oil reduction. Stopped for a month and regret it. Oil production and acne. Plus, hair loss.

June 26, 2014 2:18 PM

Review by anon9067:

For Acne: Wanted to give an update on the review I wrote 10 months ago. If you are an adult female with acne involving the jawline, hairline, neck, back, chest or upper arms, there is a great chance it could be hormonal. I had mild to moderate acne that suddenly worsened at the same time I started having irregular periods. It literally went from controllable to a disaster. I started researching and asked my doctor about trying spironolactone. This was almost exactly one year ago. First month consisted of a nasty initial breakout, but following that, I saw gradual improvement and am 100% clear for the first time in my adult life. My life is completely different. I used to hide. I can wear any clothing I want now. I will NEVER give up this medication.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2014 11:55 PM

Review by Spottie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Acne: I took spironolactone for 3 years for moderate to severe cystic acne on the lower part of my face. I had suffered from acne to varying degrees for about 12 years and had tried most available treatments, including IBs, oral contraceptives and Roaccutane. Some of these had temporary benefits. With spironolactone I had a bad initial breakout in the 1st month on 100mg, then my skin cleared up almost completely over the next 2 months. I increased to 125mg per day for about 1 year, then lowered to 100mg and only taking it 4 or 5 days per week. I had flawless skin. When I stopped, my acne returned after about 6 months. I have now started again, and my doctor has recommended continuing until menopause. I am 41. I have no serious side effects.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 25, 2014 7:57 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I was taking Bactrim DS prior to spironolactone (50mg 2x/day) and clindamycin from November to April, but I started to build resistance around March and I waited until it just stopped working. I recently went to my dermatologist about a week ago and from the large painful cysts all around my mouth and chin he told the PA and myself to prescribe me spironolactone as it is hormonal. I wish I had gone on this sooner! The persistent cysts are shrinking and drying! I had an initial breakout (still have a little) but I am keeping a positive attitude which helps a ton. This will be the medicine that cures my acne of 9 years, I just know it. I'm glad my dermatologist stopped talking about Accutane with me, this is a much safer alternative if you have persistent hormonal acne.

May 15, 2014 4:29 AM

Review by KIKI WOODS:

For Acne: I was prescribed spironolatone 50mg for my acne breakouts around my chin and jaw line some other areas also. I use this in combination with aczone and they are a great team together...Amazing and fast results. I also have very oily skin along with big pores and it has decreased my pores and I have very little oil now. I'm amazed and very happy.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2014 12:03 PM