User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism 5 reviews 1 medications

Heart Failure 2 reviews 130 medications

4.7
Summary of Spironolactone reviews 157 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Spironolactone

For Alopecia: "No impact"

DanielleRo May 15, 2015

For Acne: "I wanted to share my experience with others who suffer from acne because these reviews were the only thing that kept me hopeful during my initial stages of spirolactone. I'm a 30 year old woman who suffered from back acne since the age of 21. I tried EVERYTHING (besides accutane) to clear it up. Nothing got rid of my problem. I felt like the older I got the worse it got. I had cystic acne all on my upper back, neck and shoulders. It was embarrassing and humiliating. I've been on spirolactone for 3 months and I could cry I'm so happy. The initial breakout was bad but I stuck with it and I'm so happy I did. I'd say I'm 90% clear. If you are a woman suffering from hormonal acne you need to try this, it's a life saver!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

For Acne: "It completely cleared my face of stubborn, cystic acne. However, I gained 40 lbs over two years, had no energy, and could sleep for 13 hours a night. I still work out regularly and watch what I eat. It seems the weight gain is happening more to people in their 30s-40s..."

Anaii May 6, 2015

For Acne: "I never write reviews, but for this medication I feel obligated to warn about the side effects. I was a healthy 22 yr old, and started getting cystic acne from the mirena. I then was put on 75 mg Spiro everyday. All was well for the first few months, and then I started noticing progressively worse digestive issues. I couldn't eat more than a handful at a time, and some days it would hurt so bad to eat that I wouldn't. I lost 25 lbs in a matter of 2 months, and was diagnosed with gastroparesis about 7 mos into taking spiro. After I stopped the meds, I was able to eat again within weeks. Be careful, and if you start having stomach issues please consider that spiro could be making you sick."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2015

For Acne: "After suffering from cystic acne my whole life (I'm 33) and using salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide for years to manage it, I noticed my skin was noticeably aging more than my twin sister who wasn't on these products. After reading Clear Skin Forever and the dangers of those products, I took myself off and immediately broke out. The breakouts got worse for several months until I saw a dermatologist who put me on Spiro. I've been on it for almost a year and it changed my life. It takes a while for everything to heal, especially cystic acne and scarring, but my skin looks amazing now. Started noticing the benefits after a month and it's gotten continually better. Stay away from Clean and Clear and Clearasil products and see a dermatologist."

Heather C. (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 22, 2015

For Acne: "I have suffered from moderate to severe acne for years. I have always had bad breakouts that coincided with my cycle in my teen years. I assumed this would go away once I got older. However, it seemed to get worse throughout my mid-twenties. I am now 28. I would get cystic acne mostly around my mouth & chin area. I always had 4 or 5 huge red pimples. Not only unsightly, they were painful & would last for weeks. I tried everything - cleansers, masks, creams, toners, diet, antibiotics, & bc (10 ). Accutane was the last on the list...until Spironolactone appeared. My doc prescribed me the min 25mg dose per day. The 1st week I noticed a change! My skin cleared right up & I have had ONE pimple in the past 3 weeks. I am amazed. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!"

NatalieRose April 9, 2015

For Acne: "I have struggled with acne on and off since high school, it was never terrible but bad enough for me to see a dermatologist. After years of antibiotics, face creams, expensive cleaners, acid peels etc., I have finally found the solution for my hormonal related acne with spiro. The important thing with spiro, as I had read in other reviews is patience and getting the right dosage. I expected the initial break out as many other reviewers mention, trust me it happens, but my skin is now clearer than it has been in years. My dermatologist started me on the 50mg dosage, but after three months I was still having mild breakouts with fluctuations in hormones so my dosage was upped to 100mg a day, which worked almost immediately! This is great!"

Great for Homonal acne (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2015

For Acne: "I have been getting cystic acne on my right cheek since I turned 30. My face was like an oil slick. I tried everything, from topical creams, to using natural stuff (herbs and vitamins), taking myself off all dairy products (boy was that expensive) changing laundry detergents and pillow cases everyday...it was RIDICULOUS!! I finally begged my Dr. to give me accutane and he refused. He sent me off to a dermatologist to assess the situation. I am an adult acne sufferer. She told me that accutane is prescribed more to the younger people with acne and that what I was suffering from was adult acne. She prescribed Doxycycline and Spironolactone. Cleared up within a week I suffered for 5 years with this and just can't believe the results!!"

Syn-Sage (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

For Acne: "Two years ago, when I was 20, I started to breakout like crazy. I had acne all over my face. My Dermatologist prescribed me some lotions and creams, and told me to be patients. They barely worked on me. A year ago, I was checked to have ovarian cyst and hormone imbalance. My dermatologist waited another half year to make sure those lotions really didn't work on me, then she prescribed me the spironolactone. I started with 50mg a day, and that worked not very obvious, then I changed to 100mg a day, it's a miracle. I still have one or two when before my period, but besides that, it's all just acne scar. I guess I need to focus on how to get rid of the marks now"

Michelle Y (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2015

For Acne: "I have never written a review for anything, however I felt it imperative that I comment here on what Spironolactone has done for me, with the hope that it will help others. I read the reviews here before going on Spiro and all the positive comments were my incentive for trying it. I truly felt like all hope was lost. Spiro has been the ONLY thing that has worked on my extreme, disfiguring cystic acne. For 2 years, I tried everything under the sun (proactiv, 2 different antibiotics, topical ointments, gels, creams...) None of it helped and a lot of it made my skin worse. (The antibiotics made me so naseous that I was vomiting, unable to drive, even fell over.) I have had NO side effects which is unheard of for me. Started working after 1week"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2015

For Acne: "I have battled cystic acne since I was twelve years old. I'm 33 now and finally using something effective. I take 50 mg twice per day and over a three month period the breakouts have decreased. I have not experienced any weight gain or other side effects while taking spironoloactone. I am also using retin a gel at night and wash with panoxyl twice a day. I feel more confident now that my skin is clearer. I've tried almost every product there is from Murad to Neutrogena, this is the first time in a long time I've experienced little to no breakouts."

Effective treatment March 24, 2015

For Acne: "So I've been taking 100mg for a week now. My skin has been noticeably less oily and I've had no new breakouts. However, yesterday I noticed a tingling feeling in my back that last for a few hours then subsided. I toook it today and in about 30mins I started experiencing that tingling feeling in my back again. Think I'm going to stop. I'd rather deal with the oil and acne than experience this tingling feeling."

Kimidee (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2015

For Acne: "I started taking spironolactone about 3 months ago on 25mg. I noticed a change right away but then my skin went back to usual after a few weeks. I then upped up my dosage to 50mg 1.5 months ago and noticed a difference again right away. My skin was almost 100% clear. About a week ago my skin started getting bad again. Thinking I might start doing 25mg in the mornings, and 50mg at night. Hopefully this will be what works for me! I'm not giving up!"

kspiro March 18, 2015

For Acne: "Literally tried for years every single product over the market and most from the dermatologist and nothing worked. I had cystic acne, a literal pizza face. I had no confidence and couldn't leave the house without full makeup// summers at the beach were nightmares. I am 20 years old and after about a year on spirolactone I have amazing skin. I do not even recognize it. I have better skin then my friends which I never thought people would say. Absolute life changer. Along with w topical Tazorac I don't even have scarring! This medicine is like gold I live in a sorority house and I have to hide it so my friends don't take it because they think my skin looks so good."

Crem (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 16, 2015

For Acne: "I started having hormonal acne in my late twenties and I went through all the over the counter treatments including proactiv and murad but nothing worked... I went to the Dermatologist and She put me on this medication 100mg and it has worked great, I been on it two months and the oilyness and bumps are gone!!! In the beginning my face became really dry due to this medication but just get a good moisturizer and it will be fine!!! It Rocks"

Dee34 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2015

For Acne: "I had acne since I was younger but after having my son at 20 my acne went crazy big cystic acne along my jaw line I tried antibiotics creams all sorts of things but nothing worked and finally my dermatologist put me on Aldactone. I'm on it 150 mg. I was on 200 mg first but I got a little nauseous at times nothing major so my doc lowered my dosage but this medicine has truly changed my life. My face glows I get maybe one pimple a month before I had 10 or more daily I'm so glad I tried this because I was considering Accutane but this is awesome with little to no side effects for me."

connie369 March 6, 2015

For Alopecia: "My hair started thinning and falling out. The dermatologist prescribed 100 mg of Spironolactone daily. I had problems with high potassium levels so my dosage was decreased to 50 mg daily for a month and now I am back on the 100 mg. I do not see any increased hair growth but it seems to have slowed down my hair loss. I have been on the medicine for 3 months."

Faye48 March 5, 2015

For Acne: "I've been taking 100mg twice a day for about 7 or 8 years now for cystic acne (I'm 45 years old). I tried antibiotics and multiple topicals and washes prescribed by my dermatologist. Spironolactone is the only thing that decreased my cystic acne by about 80%. I also used Epiduo for spot/preventative treatment of acne on my chin but it really dried out my skin. When I got my Clarisonic 4 or 5 years ago, it was like the miracle I had been hoping for! I use Clarisonic in the mornings and just wash with a washcloth and Cerave foaming facial cleanser and use Cerave lotion for my skin care. I actually get complements on my "beautiful" skin now! I hope you have as great of an experience as I did with Spironolactone!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 26, 2015

For Acne: "AMAZING medication for hormonal acne! I am in my mid-twenties and began having hormonal acne and very oily skin this past year. My acne was primarily located on my jaw line, chin and far sides of my cheeks. It is completely gone and my complexion is GLOWING."

Liz1988 February 21, 2015

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Hirsutism: "I've been on this for barely a week for excessive hair growth on my neck and face. Only side affect present so far is the drowsiness. Barely within an hour and I'm ready to sleep. Only problem is it makes me sleep for a quantity of 5 to 12 hours. Definitely a night time medication."

VicPar (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2015

For Alopecia: "Dermatologist prescribed this for hair loss. I've been on it for 3 months and I have dramatic hair regrowth! I am so thrilled with what's growing right now. Only side effect is I get dizzy if I stand up too quick. Other than that, I'm thrilled."

Cindy67147 February 16, 2015

For Acne: "I had acne along the chin and forehead since I was a teen. At 20 I was diagnosed with Polycystic ovarian syndrome and my acne only got worse over the next five years. Nothing seemed to help, neither a dermatologist's skin care routine nor significant diet changes. At 25, I begged a dermatologist to prescribe spironolactone and was 100% clear after three months. In the beginning I had stomach discomfort but stuck it out and it went away after a month or two. I'm six months in and feel like I'm almost taking for granted how much easier life is with a clear face! This stuff is gold to me. Just wanted to write a review in hopes that some other PCOS girls can find this sooner than I did."

Significant Improvement in Acne (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 4, 2015

149 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Acne: "I have tried everything, even asked my dermatologist for Accutane after reading the horrible reviews, that's how desperate I was. She prescribed Spironolactone & after 3 months, MY SKIN IS CLEAR! I did gain about 15 lbs, but hey, I can lose weight, whereas I couldn't clear up my skin on my own! I noticed a slight feeling of depression in the first little while. But that's gone. Also, I started out with 50 mg & went up too 100. I think if I would have waited a bit longer I wouldn't have needed to & that may have helped the weight gain. But I'd do it all over again!"

Fat&Happy January 27, 2015

For Acne: "Was prescribed this medication for hormonal acne and started at 100mg daily. This did nothing for me so at my 3 month check up the dermatologist switched me to 150mg daily. This immediately made a huge difference in my skin and within 2 weeks I noticed a reduction in breakouts. I used to break out a lot during my monthly cycle and now I get maybe 1 pimple a month. I also started using a Clarisonic brush to cleanse my skin better. You have to be patient with this medication as not everyone reacts the same to the same dosage. You and your doctor may have to try different doses before you get it right but once you do it is worth the wait!"

Boo_0 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 21, 2015

For Acne: "I went off the birth control pill at age 38 (after being on for almost 20 years) and within 2 months my skin went crazy. I started experiencing bad cystic acne to the point I had no less than 10 bumps at once and was spending a lot of time and money at the dermatologist on injections. I had never had a cyst before--just typical teen acne breakouts in high school and college. It was painful and I felt embarrassed to go anywhere in public. My self esteem plummeted. After 3 months my dermatologist recommended spironolactone. I started at 200 mg and within a month my face was totally clear. After 6 months I went down to 150, then another 6 months down to 100, which is the dosage I still take 2 years later. Best medication ever!"

Renee K (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 12, 2015