User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Spironolactone Review Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 9 medications used in the treatment of Hirsutism.

Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Hirsutism

"I've been taking this drug for about a month now. I suffer from PCOS and get very dark coarse hair on my chin and neck. I have noticed a difference in the hair for sure. It is lighter and finer, which is great because I was getting tons of ingrowns. The only side effect I have had issues with is the fact that this is a diuretic, so I have to pee constantly."

Bella783 August 25, 2015

"I was given this prescription originally for acne, but haven't seen much effect there yet... However, it has done wonders for my body hair! I had a super-thick (and spreading) happy trail on my stomach, as well as more sparse chest hair. I've only been on Spiro for about 3 weeks, but the results are incredible! The hair is almost invisible, so I'm thrilled to see what it looks like after all the pre-medication razor burn and ingrown hair cuts are healed. I'll still be buying a Tria laser to make sure I get rid of as much hair as possible, but the hair is already visibly thinner, and it takes much longer to grow back as well. I wore a v-neck for the first time with confidence yesterday! Also- I've had NO side effects from this drug!"

Dosage: 100mg per day (2x50mg) (taken for less than 1 month) August 16, 2015

"I started getting facial hair probably 10 yrs ago. I'm 36 now. I am so embarrassed and it's getting worse. I find myself not going out as much and avoiding as much eye contact as I can. My Dr prescribed spironolactone over a year ago and it has not helped. She has increased it & that hasn't helped either. My left side by my chin has a dark spot from me constantly plucking the black coarse hairs. I see friends and family looking at it and I'm so uncomfortable that I just want to go home and hide. I have had labs done multiple times to check my hormone levels and it all comes back just fine. I need suggestions on another medication to try and a very good concealer to help hide my problem area. I would appreciate any advice."

Lola29 July 23, 2015

"I've been on this for barely a week for excessive hair growth on my neck and face. Only side affect present so far is the drowsiness. Barely within an hour and I'm ready to sleep. Only problem is it makes me sleep for a quantity of 5 to 12 hours. Definitely a night time medication."

VicPar (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2015

"I was prescribed Aldactone 100mg for facial hair. At first I had side effects of discomfort in my stomach however I persisted and it stopped. This medication works, it's slows down the hair growth however the side effects out way the results. Irregular periods, heavy bleeding, constipation, feet swelling, appetite and stomach pain, the list goes on. Even though I have reduced the dose from 100, to 75 and further to 50 I will be getting off this."

CarissaA December 21, 2014

"My GYN put me on spironolactone to try and clear up my acne and excess body hair. My acne has gotten a little better, and I no longer have hair on my chin. I still have some hair on my abdomen and thighs, but I've only been on spironolactone for six months. So far, I think it's great."

Anonymous November 18, 2012

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been using this medicine for about 1 month my doctor gave it to me for excessive facial hair. Since I have been taking it. I have noticed the hair grows slower and is lighter and not as course as before but be patient it takes a little while to see results and I believe it will get better with continued use. I did not experience ill side effects with it, in fact I also suffer from adult acne & have tried everything I could find to treat and nothing worked, but I have had no new breakouts after a month and I am just thrilled with the results I am getting. I would recommend it to anyone with facial hair problems!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2012

116 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have taken spironolactone for almost 3 years now and have been extremely pleased with it's effect on my hirsutism. I used to bleach my facial hair regularly and had dark hair on my arms. Now the fine hair on my face is blonde and hardly noticable and the arm hair is very light and thinner."

Anonymous September 26, 2008

197 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Hirsutism