User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Spironolactone review summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

Compare all 261 medications used in the treatment of High Blood Pressure.

Reviews for Spironolactone to treat High Blood Pressure

Review by peter Dumai. (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have had high blood pressure for 4 years (now age 69) my doctor prescribed spironolactone as part of my treatment take one 25 MG tablet every day in the morning. to reduce body salt and retain potassium. I was not advised of the side effects such as lack of sexual drive. I have to urinate about 6 times per day (twice overnight) which is a minor problem, difficult getting to sleep, avoid taking sleeping pills, get light headed and dizzy spells at times have to take time when rising from the sitting position. Do not have any of the other side effects as described in the literature. With other medicines my blood pressure is under control.

May 5, 2013 9:27 PM

Review by WearyLifer (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I'm a 46 year old female and have been on spironolactone for 2 years for high blood pressure. After a year and a half my doctor took me off for a couple of months as I had great blood pressure and he thought with my avid exercising and diet changes I'd be able to regulate it myself. My blood pressure immediately shot up to dangerous levels and I had to be back on Spironolactone immediately which also immediately took my blood pressure back down to safe levels. Unless something else comes along, I guess I'm on it for life. I count my blessings, it does it's job and with only two noticeable side-effects for me both negative and positive: slight drowsiness and keeps any water retention at bay (which I had a problem with previously).

January 23, 2013 11:49 AM

Aldactone (spironolactone): I took this medication for four years, all the while becoming less and less interested in sex and unable to achieve an erection. Having gone through 4 cardiologists not a one of them ever informed me that Aldactone is an anti-androgen which blocks muscle and bodily binding of testosterone necessary for it to take effect and also lowers production of testosterone itself. I had to happen upon it on my own. The day I found out is the day I stopped taking it. Giving a male a medicine which renders his testosterone ineffectual may be good for those undergoing a sex change but not for those who are not. There is another potassium sparing drug like Aldactone without the sexual side effects but it is more expensive.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 1, 2011 4:59 AM

Aldactone (spironolactone): This medicine did lower my blood pressure but after being on it for about 2 months, I began to have trouble urinating. At first I thought I was getting a bladder infection but the symptoms would come and go. Mainly occurring right after I took the pill. I decided to stop taking it for a while to see if the symptoms went away and they did. I also had swelling of my hands and I gained 5 pounds.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2011 8:35 PM

Review by angler:

I have been taking this medicine for 1 year. Spironolactone 50mg daily has taken my blood pressure to a normal level. It is great apart from some side effects mainly heart burn and joint pain.

June 22, 2010 7:49 AM

Review by brombd:

This drug has been a miracle for me. I had severe hypertension for 20 years and was taking the maximum dosage or more of all of the classes of medications. When Spironolactone was added, my blood pressure came down almost immediately. Since then, nearly all of my other medications have been stopped, I am feeling great, and my blood pressure is well controlled.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2009 1:51 PM

Review by sophocles:

I am 55 year old male. Yes, this medication does what it is supposed to do. However, my side effect included slight breast development. Doctor has not taken me off this medicine. I am upset with the doctor for not warning me about this psychologically effect. Can not come off of it without a replacement apparently, so I am stuck.

August 11, 2009 2:00 PM

Aldactone (spironolactone): This medicine treated high-blood pressure, water retention, acne, female/male pattern hair-loss, excessive, unwanted facial hair and is a potassium sparing medicine. It is ideal for sufferers of insulin resistance or pcos. Although it hasn't completely stopped the unwanted hair growth it has been the only thing that has made a significant difference by slowing it down drastically. It has also slowed the hair-loss down significantly in which I am very pleased with.

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2008 11:13 AM

I take 25mg twice a day. It keeps my blood pressure down and I have not had any side effects from taking it.

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 17, 2008 9:54 AM