Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Spironolactone review summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 455 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne

Review by NatalieRose:

I have suffered from moderate to severe acne for years. I have always had bad breakouts that coincided with my cycle in my teen years. I assumed this would go away once I got older. However, it seemed to get worse throughout my mid-twenties. I am now 28. I would get cystic acne mostly around my mouth & chin area. I always had 4 or 5 huge red pimples. Not only unsightly, they were painful & would last for weeks. I tried everything - cleansers, masks, creams, toners, diet, antibiotics, & bc (10 ). Accutane was the last on the list...until Spironolactone appeared. My doc prescribed me the min 25mg dose per day. The 1st week I noticed a change! My skin cleared right up & I have had ONE pimple in the past 3 weeks. I am amazed. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2015 2:18 PM

Review by connie369:

I had acne since I was younger but after having my son at 20 my acne went crazy big cystic acne along my jaw line I tried antibiotics creams all sorts of things but nothing worked and finally my dermatologist put me on Aldactone. I'm on it 150 mg. I was on 200 mg first but I got a little nauseous at times nothing major so my doc lowered my dosage but this medicine has truly changed my life. My face glows I get maybe one pimple a month before I had 10 or more daily I'm so glad I tried this because I was considering Accutane but this is awesome with little to no side effects for me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2015 2:23 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've been taking 100mg twice a day for about 7 or 8 years now for cystic acne (I'm 45 years old). I tried antibiotics and multiple topicals and washes prescribed by my dermatologist. Spironolactone is the only thing that decreased my cystic acne by about 80%. I also used Epiduo for spot/preventative treatment of acne on my chin but it really dried out my skin. When I got my Clarisonic 4 or 5 years ago, it was like the miracle I had been hoping for! I use Clarisonic in the mornings and just wash with a washcloth and Cerave foaming facial cleanser and use Cerave lotion for my skin care. I actually get complements on my "beautiful" skin now! I hope you have as great of an experience as I did with Spironolactone!!!

February 26, 2015 9:04 PM

Review by Liz1988:

AMAZING medication for hormonal acne! I am in my mid-twenties and began having hormonal acne and very oily skin this past year. My acne was primarily located on my jaw line, chin and far sides of my cheeks. It is completely gone and my complexion is GLOWING.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2015 12:29 PM

Review by Significant Improvement in Acne (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I had acne along the chin and forehead since I was a teen. At 20 I was diagnosed with Polycystic ovarian syndrome and my acne only got worse over the next five years. Nothing seemed to help, neither a dermatologist's skin care routine nor significant diet changes. At 25, I begged a dermatologist to prescribe spironolactone and was 100% clear after three months. In the beginning I had stomach discomfort but stuck it out and it went away after a month or two. I'm six months in and feel like I'm almost taking for granted how much easier life is with a clear face! This stuff is gold to me. Just wanted to write a review in hopes that some other PCOS girls can find this sooner than I did.

137 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2015 1:20 PM

Review by Fat&Happy:

I have tried everything, even asked my dermatologist for Accutane after reading the horrible reviews, that's how desperate I was. She prescribed Spironolactone & after 3 months, MY SKIN IS CLEAR! I did gain about 15 lbs, but hey, I can lose weight, whereas I couldn't clear up my skin on my own! I noticed a slight feeling of depression in the first little while. But that's gone. Also, I started out with 50 mg & went up too 100. I think if I would have waited a bit longer I wouldn't have needed to & that may have helped the weight gain. But I'd do it all over again!

January 27, 2015 10:05 PM

Review by Boo_0 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Was prescribed this medication for hormonal acne and started at 100mg daily. This did nothing for me so at my 3 month check up the dermatologist switched me to 150mg daily. This immediately made a huge difference in my skin and within 2 weeks I noticed a reduction in breakouts. I used to break out a lot during my monthly cycle and now I get maybe 1 pimple a month. I also started using a Clarisonic brush to cleanse my skin better. You have to be patient with this medication as not everyone reacts the same to the same dosage. You and your doctor may have to try different doses before you get it right but once you do it is worth the wait!

January 21, 2015 12:22 PM

Review by Renee K (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I went off the birth control pill at age 38 (after being on for almost 20 years) and within 2 months my skin went crazy. I started experiencing bad cystic acne to the point I had no less than 10 bumps at once and was spending a lot of time and money at the dermatologist on injections. I had never had a cyst before--just typical teen acne breakouts in high school and college. It was painful and I felt embarrassed to go anywhere in public. My self esteem plummeted. After 3 months my dermatologist recommended spironolactone. I started at 200 mg and within a month my face was totally clear. After 6 months I went down to 150, then another 6 months down to 100, which is the dosage I still take 2 years later. Best medication ever!

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 12, 2015 7:58 PM

Review by My_life_is_fabulous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I've been on this medication for about six months. I'm 37 years old and I've had acne since I was 12 years old. I had tried every medicine out there pretty much. This medication has made my skin clearer than it has been since I was 12! I use it in combination with clindamycin/benzoyl peroxide face cream at night. Occasionally around my cycle I will get one or two pimples but they clear up quickly. I am so pleased to have my life and my self-confidence back! One thing I will note, my sex drive is through the roof! And I am not complaining about that, nor is my husband!!!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2015 11:39 AM

Review by EmRae61 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I'm 42 and began taking spironolactone and using Differin for adult acne about a year ago. It took almost 8 months to really make a huge difference, but I could see some changes in the inflammation and severity of my acne after about four months. My acne was worse along the jawline and under my jaw, and usually manifested as deep, sore nodules that never really came to a head. I still get some breakouts but the pimples are much smaller and more on the surface, and almost none of them are on my jawline. They also heal much more quickly. The only negative side effects I've had are increased urination and weight gain. I've put on almost fifteen pounds over the last year, mostly in the belly, hips, and thighs.

December 27, 2014 4:51 PM

Review by Extremely Happy With Results (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Late 30's - Moderate to severe Acne since puberty - hormonal and whiteheads. Tried this after problems with antibiotics and before conceding to Accutane. It took 5 MONTHS before I saw results from this medicine. The current results are fantastic. I'm so glad I stayed with it. I'm on month 7 now and have minor breakouts. Will resume Aczone and Tretinoin to supplement treatment.

December 26, 2014 2:41 PM

Review by Tessie13 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am currently taking this and have been for about 3 or so months. At first I was on 25 mg which didn't do much. I started 50 mg, then 100 and saw drastic changes. My skin was always fine until I hit 23. Now at 25 my skin hates me apparently. I had cysts all along my jawline cheeks and some on my neck that left pigmentation spots. This medicine has drastically changed my skin, I have minimal breakouts, smaller and not as often. My skin is less oily and I've lost 10 pounds without trying. My skin looks 90 percent better and my leg hair doesn't grow as fast! (Yay!) downside is that it does make me dizzy sometimes and lightheaded. And I've had minimal random Heart palpitations. Other than that it worked for me, had to wait a month or so though.

December 24, 2014 2:15 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

This really works! I was a little hesitant because it seemed like nothing would clear up my acne. After about 2 weeks my face was clearing up and I was no longer getting acne where I usually did (forehead, chin). I had a few weird breakouts like near my lip and on my nose which never used to happen but they cleared up pretty fast. This combined with scar gel has really improved my face. No side effects that I have noticed.

December 19, 2014 3:55 PM

Review by Natcat:

Breakouts of 2-4 of cystic acne pimples on chin and around mouth have improved but not stopped altogether. They are much smaller, less noticeable, less at a time and don't take as long to heal. I don't know if they're even considered cystic anymore. I have become less oily as well. Used to be able to fill 2 oil blotting sheets after 7 hours, now fill half a sheet (so I'm still oily but not as bad) this has definitely greatly improved my skin but there is still room for improvement and my skin is by no means perfect. I've been on this for 4 months and right now I think I have my worst breakout since going on it: 1 small cystic, 2 average pimples and approximately 2 of those baby bumps.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 16, 2014 12:37 AM

Review by portage1980:

I had bad to moderate acne for 15 years and that was with on and off visits to a dermatologist for about 7 years with nothing else really working. I was on Accutane and had some negative side effects. But just about a year ago I went on Spironolactone 50mg-100 per day, and loved the results within a three weeks, my skin got way better and less oil production. But my dermatologist keeps trying to take me off it. I have to beg him to keep me on it and he only lets me take 50mg every other day (this does help as my skin is staying pretty good). But I have to admit I am jealous other people get to stay on it and higher doses.

December 9, 2014 11:57 PM

Review by Hannahgg:

This past summer I experienced the worst break out I've ever had all over my entire face. Never before had that happened- I just had a few cystic nodules around my mouth. For a month I tried everything- are a very strict diet and stayed away from bad carbs and sugars. Nothing worked. After seeing my dermatologist and gynecologist and doing research of my own I presented them with what I believed to be Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. They did blood work and confirmed. The dermatologist wanted to put me on Accutane but I didn't feel good about it. I did more research, found out about spironolactone and asked him if this could be a good alternative, he agreed and I've been on 100 mg for about two months now. It has Changed my life. Gave me back confidence.

December 9, 2014 10:56 AM

Review by Miracle Med (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Spironolactone cured my acne! I started getting pretty severe acne this year and after trying minocycline and doxycycline which did not work for me, my dermatologist recommended spironolactone. After just 3 weeks, my acne started to calm down and I am currently nearing my 2nd month of spironolactone and my face is acne free. Although I have oily skin, spironolactone really dried up my face and lips so I have to moisturize constantly throughout the day. This medicine took some time to see drastic improvements but it is definitely worth the try!

December 4, 2014 7:05 PM

Review by misslilly22 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Cystic acne has cleared up. Hair on legs/arms grows more slowly. Hair on head doesn't get greasy. Bust has increased from 34B to 34C. Weight has dropped 10lbs with no lifestyle changes. No anxiety, depression, mood swings, etc. Took approx. 3 months to start seeing these results. Very happy with progress so far.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2014 1:23 PM

Review by JDS_79:

Small acne began when I was 12. It wasn't long after I began to have cystic acne. The pattern of breakouts were within the T-zone - forehead, nose, chin but I was rarely got then on my outer cheeks. Makeup made them worse, my skin was bad and real oily. All over-the-counter cleaners, medications, and a couple advertised on TV did nothing to help clear my skin. I gave up. But during my mid-20's I decided to see a dermatologist. She prescribed this to me and now my face is clear. People can't believe I suffered from acne it's so clear, and makeup is finally used to accentuate my features rather than hide acne breakouts. People I knew asked what I was doing because it was that drastically visible. For me, it's a miracle.

November 29, 2014 9:53 AM

Review by Love this!:

35 years old. I've been on spironolactone for about 7 weeks now. I began noticing changes right around week 4. My skin is almost as clear as it was years ago when I was on Accutane. Pretty much no side effects as of yet (knock on wood). I've been on every medication possible and nothing worked. Finally I went to a new dermatologist who prescribed spironolactone and I wish I would've found this sooner. I rarely get a pimple now and the only one that I have gotten has been really tiny and has gone away after a day. I hope the success continues.

November 28, 2014 7:51 PM

Review by Lori moto:

I have been taking spironolactone for about 4 months now. My skin is clearer and I have much fewer breakouts. When I first started taking it I had pretty bad orthostatic hypotension, I experienced excessive urinating (mainly right after I took the medication). My acne got worse and it took at least a month for my face to improve. My breast continues to be sore, I am lightheaded still, and I have lost weight. Mind you, I was loosing weight before I started to take this medication. I have noticed that my skin is really dry and becoming more wrinkles (although I'm only 21 so not that wrinkly). My skin has also been itchy but not sure if that is only related to the dryness. This medicine works for acne but there are definite side effects.

November 28, 2014 5:09 PM

Review by LiaK1 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Amazing! Moderate hormonal acne my entire life. Tried many oral and topical medicines. This is a miracle. I still get a couple small blemishes around ovulation but that's it! So pleased!

November 17, 2014 10:50 PM

Review by Ninaballerina (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm 21 years old and I have suffered with acne since I was 16. I would get cysitc type acne all over my cheeks, chin, and forehead. I've been through countless medications to get rid of my acne including antibiotics, topical treatments, and birth control, etc etc. Most of these would only temporarily solve my problem, or not give me any results at all. I felt as though I was out of options and there would never be a cure for me. I talked to my cousin who is a pharmacist and she recommended spironolactone. I've only been on 25mg for a couple weeks but I am already seeing amazing results! I'm almost certain this may be my breakthrough. I only wish I had known of this medication sooner.

November 16, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by Kad0813:

Great experience with this medicine so far. I started taking 50 mg a day 5 weeks ago and just about a week ago saw significant improvement. I don't think I had an initial breakout but just no improvement in the first 4 weeks. I also use Retin A at night but this alone wasn't enough. Combined with Spiro give great results.

October 24, 2014 4:42 PM

Review by Lildee:

This works! I had hormonal cystic acne along my jawline and by my ears. It took 4 months for me to get the right dose but now I don't get any cysts!

October 1, 2014 12:27 AM