User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Spironolactone Rating Summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 432 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne

"I have been on spiro at 100mg for about seven months. First, the plus side is that I have had almost no side effects. I only experienced side effects when I temporarily increased my dosage to 150mg to control a bad outbreak. Even then, the side effects were just headaches and having to pee a lot. The down side is that it never fully cleared my acne. Where I started spiro, I would say I had moderate acne, which I've had since middle school (I'm 18 now). I now have mild-moderate acne, depending on the day. The last few months I haven't had a single completely clear day. Overall, I'm disappointed. This was supposed to be the thing that finally worked."

Malouy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2016

"I grew up with great skin until I was into my 20's. It started out small but got to be a much bigger issue as the years went on, turning into large and wide cysts that only came back as soon as they healed, on a 2 week endless cycle. Started seeing a derm and soon tried many things such as antibiotics and topical meds, which only worked for a few months before needing to switch the meds up again. This was a real low point and I realized how much this was affecting my life. Finally tried Spiro. I almost gave up on trying to find something that worked for me until about 4+ months in on taking 75mg 2x per day. Saved my life! I get a few breakouts and pimples, but very tolerable and nothing like I was experiencing."

C Bear (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 30, 2016

"I was a sufferer real bad of adult acne on my back, chest and chin, and this was the only thing that worked for me. Unfortunately I suffered a drug reaction from it that left my lower extremities (rectal itch, etc) that kept me up all night....it was horrible and it took a few months for it to subside with a lower dosage and antihistamines. Lower dosage worked better but it did eventually did damage to my kidneys which is a risk side affect of taking this drug. So be aware if you have weak kidneys DO NOT take this drug!"

babyblue2 April 17, 2016

"I have to say after all the other medicines I've tried I'm not sure why this was the last resort. This was the only medicine that worked for my cystic acne caused by my PCOS. I've tried birth control antibiotics topical treatments you name it. Nothing beside this has really worked for me I a on 100 mg once a day and this has been my savior. Although i found it took a good month to see oil reduction. Only con was irregular periods but after 5 months it straightened out."

Drinabambina April 13, 2016

"I'm a 20 year old female. I've always had mild acne, usually in the forehead, temple and chin areas. It was something makeup could always cover. About 8 months ago, I went on Skyla IUD. My periods were irregular and I started getting hormonal cystic acne. I had at least two bumps on my face on any given day. About 2 months ago, I went to my dermatologist with the problem and he prescribed me spironolactone. I noticed a different after two weeks of the medicine. Two months later I am 100% free of cystic acne, and other acne as well! I only get 1-2 small pimples around my period. The only side effect I have is constant urination, which on top of my chronic UTIs, is a little bit of a hassle. Therefore, I take it at bedtime if I need a bathroom"

Skyla User (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 25, 2016

"I am 29 and have suffered from acne most of my life. I would have random flare ups. Some months wouldn't be that bad and others would be the under the skin painful bumps only around my jawbone and chin area. The older I got the most frequently and worse my acne got. I went to a derm. and he immediately said it was hormonal acne. He put me on 50mgs twice a day. I have been on spiro. for about a year and it has done wonders for me. The only thing is it makes me incredibly thirsty, but I don't consider that a bad thing. I haven't had any side effects other than that."

Dakota Rochester March 23, 2016

"I'm 32 and had the Mirena IUD inserted 4 months ago. I started experiencing relentless acne on one side of my jawline almost immediately which was unsightly and embarrassing. I googled if there was a correlation between the two and found endless websites stating there was. When I read that spironolactone helped many women, I called my OB/Gyn and asked her for a prescription which she had no problem with and sent my prescription to the pharmacist without an appointment. I've taken 25mg for only 6 days so far and have already noticed an impressive improvement without any side effects. So happy!"

Mirena/acne experiencer (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2016

"I'm gonna' make this simple. I took spironolactone and lived happily ever after PERIOD. (God willing) OK fine, I'll elaborate. -Age: 35. -Chin acne sufferer. -Tried A-Z of meds/birth control pills. -Used Accutane as a teen. Worked until adulthood. -Taking spiro @ 25mg (half of one pill): No initial breakout. No spotting. No period issues. Instant clearing of skin and no joke. -Side effects: I pee a lot...so what? -Not on the bcp with it, just spiro by itself. FYI I took spiro a year ago before for 5 months @ 50mg a day with same great results but stopped because I had intense breast tenderness. Boohoo, I should have just lowered my dosage but I was stupid. -spiro worked for me but if it doesn't for you, don't give up."

Bookish March 8, 2016

"Ladies if your derm won't give go to your Ob-Gyn. They will usually definitely give it to you for pms i.e. swelling, menstrual cramps etc..thats what i take it periodically for and it works 100%. Some will give it to you for acne. Either way get it how you can from you OB. Idk why but something told me to look the drug up for acne, because for some stupid reason at 39 acne is killing my pretty smooth chocolate skin complexion. Never ever had acne before. So I'm depressed and desperate. So glad I found this site. But ladies Ob -Gyn/ gynecologist will prescribe for reasons list above I guarantee it!!!!!"

Anonymous March 5, 2016

"I was on every single acne medication even acutane which helped for awhile and then I still would get cystic acne around my period. My doctor told me it was all hormonal acne and put me on spironolactone and its the only thing that has ever helped me! I'm so happy!"

sarren1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2016

"I've been taking this medication for bad hormonal acne on my chin for over two months now, and today I see major improvement. The only time I breakout now is when I miss a dose, or when I get a pimple or two around the time of my period. It's also helped me to maintain my weight as an added benefit. I take 100 mg a day along with Bactrim and Finacea foam. Ask your doctor for this combo, it works great!"

Allison333 February 14, 2016

"I love spironolactone (I take 200mgs a day). I am 46 years old and started with cystic acne at 21 and tried everything: Roaccutane (hideous side effects - an evil drug), Dianette (severe nausea all the time), Retin A (great but burned my skin), oral antibiotics (caused severe and permanent hyperpigmentation). So as you can see spironolactone is a breeze compared to the others I've tried. I have gained a few pounds and have breakthrough spotting but I do not have a single spot (as long as I wash my make up off!). It's been about 4 years and I dread the day my GP tries to stop them (I am in UK)"

Jane Dew February 13, 2016

"I am a 22 year old female who had painful, cystic, lumps that would form deep in the skin around my mouth and would get worse with my hormone cycle. I went on YAZ as it is the only birth control proven to help hormonal acne and the progesterone in it, drosperinone, acts very similar to spiro. This helped but then school got very stressful and the acne got worse. I went on 50 mg of spiro and it definitely helped cut down on the number and severity of acne. After being on the 50 mg for 4 months, I moved up to 100 mg and have had 0 acne since!!! Not exaggerating. YAZ completely cleared my 21 year old friend's hormonal acne up but mine did not clear until adding 100 mg of spiro, so try things out to see what will help!"

MerryZitmas (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 9, 2016

"I've been on this medication for two weeks and now I'm experiencing cystic acne and a horrible horrible massive breakout on my face back chest shoulders and even neck! I have never had this bad of acne and I'm getting worried. My doctor told me that this medication would not do the whole worse before better thing so what's going on? Please if anyone knows anything please help."

RylieWill February 1, 2016

"HAVE YOU FOUND THE REASON BEHIND YOUR ACNE?!??? Turning 28. Almost 5 months ago I got off the birth control pill. A few weeks after getting off the pill, my acne go terrible! I went to my dermatologist and he put me on 50mg of Spirolactone. It's been almost 3 months. My acne has gotten a little worse. But I have read it gets worse before it gets better. I was so fed up with my acne I went to my gyno to get my blood hormone tested. She came back saying I have high testosterone which is causing the acne! So after that result I went in for a vagina ultrasound and I was diagnosed with PCOS (Polycystic ovarien syndrome). Symptoms are hair loss, acne, unwanted facial hair, obesity/weight gain and high testosterone. GET TESTED FOR EVEYTHING!"

Rickel (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

"I was on 50mg 2x a day for only 2 weeks on it. My skin broke our even worse than it was before I started and it. Within days of being on it I was so thirsty all the time causing me to go to the bathroom constantly. It tore me up causing intestinal problems,but the worse side effect was it turned me into a raging maniac! Far worse than when I used to have PMS. It was scary & horrible to feel like that.I had little tolerance & patience and would get upset over things I used to laugh at. Before I could call my Dermatologist I had a appointment with my family Dr who took me off it immediately and sent me for blood tests.I can't wait for it to get out of my system."

Name not used January 12, 2016

"I've been taking spiro 50 mg. for 6 months for acne & I'm thrilled. I'm 45 and have had problems with acne (mainly on chin) for a decade. Dr. told me it would take 6 weeks to start working. What he didn't mention is that it might get worse first. 3 weeks in, I wanted to bury my head in the sand. (so I wouldn't start it right before a major event!). At 6 weeks, it was helping but still not great. Dr. suggested we go to 100 mg but I wanted to give the 50 mg a chance. By 8-9 weeks it was great! I still occasionally get a pimple but it's small and doesn't last long (unlike the large painful cysts I used to get!) Note: generic: Mutual Pharm. When pharmacy switched to Qualitest, I started breaking out again...but they changed back! :)"

AmyK1 January 11, 2016

"I'm only a few weeks into taking this medication and have already experienced great results. I had great skin until I was 21, I started getting severe hormonal acne on my face and back. I currently take spironolactone and epiduo, the combination is working great. I have experienced the medications side effects of having to use the restroom frequently and being dizzy if I get up too fast. To me, the side effects are very livable and easy to adapt to. I think it is important to note the severity of not getting pregnant while on this medication. I was warned that this medication can cause a deformity in male genitalia if you conceive while on this medicine. Always check with your doctor first."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 8, 2016

"I am 29 I started getting cystic acne when I was 21 right out of the blue! I had tried everthing you can think of every home remedy EVERYTHING! Literally! Finally my derm prescribed spirolactone 50 mg a day. After two months my skin was perfect and I went from ugly cystic pimples too nothing. After a year I stopped taking it biggest mistake of my life. 8 months later my cystic acne Is full blown ...I'm back on spirolactone 100 mg a day and my face is a mess I have to start all over I highly recommend that once you start this medication do not stop!!!! I'll give another update in a month but right now I hate my face and can not deal with it I do not know what to do"

quennnnbee (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2015

"I was started on 50 mg per day, one month ago. My skin is definitely less oily, but I've had a cystic flare for the last couple of weeks. Haven't really seen improvement in acne cysts yet- still need cortisone injections. Using with sulfur mask 3x week, and tazorac on other days. Will update next month!"

Eyeloveeyes December 29, 2015

"I decided on Mirena as my birth control of choice and I thought I'd found my match after some bad side effect with Yaz. I loved having an IUD and for the most part I did not have any side effects... besides the ACNE. Insane breakouts that were debilitating. I thought this was behind me being 23, and as a sales woman it was embarrassing. I'd tried everything under the sun in my teens to no avail. My derm put me on spironolactone Sept 2015 and my skin experienced a miracle. My face is glowing, I still have some breakouts around my period, but besides that I am impressed. I've also lost weight (125lb to 116lb) which is amazing and I can even see hair growth on my thin spots. This drug is a miracle and I will preach it from the rooftops!!!!"

Elizabeth032492 December 10, 2015

"I had moderate to severe acne starting around the age of 15/16, right around when I got my first period. By age 20 my skin still wasn't clear, even on Yaz. That medication did wonders for my endometriosis and cramps, but my skin didn't get better. I talked to my doctor about spiro and we agreed that it was a good plan. 100mg/day for the first month, then down to 50mg/day. The idea was to "shock my system" for a big clearing. That first month was TERRIBLE. I broke out like never before with massive cystic, painful zits. My self esteem was worse than ever. BUT, I stuck with it. Today I'm on my 6th month of spiro and I LOVE it. I sometimes get a zit here or there, but nothing like before-- mostly just blackheads. My skin is even and clear!"

emilykkkkkkkkk December 7, 2015

"I am 28 years old and overnight it seems like acne just took over my life for the pass three months all I do is cry...went a derm and he prescribe me spiro 50mg and 50mg of antibiotics Just started on Dec 2 so I will update progress but no improvement so far"

Anonymous December 6, 2015

"I've struggled with moderate acne since the age of 11 or 12, and I'm now 26. I've tried benzoyl peroxide solutions, salicylic acid, tretinoin cream, doxycycline oral antibiotic on numerous occasions, clindamycin cream, and the list goes on and on. Nothing ever worked, and I learned to live with acne - I learned how to cover it to the best of my abilities and to try to act like it didn't bother me. But honestly at any given point I had at least 8-10 pimples. By the time I turned 24, I had started with horrific large pimples on my chin and cheeks, and I pleaded with my dermatologist to start me on something different because I had just had enough. Spironolactone was the best thing to ever happen to my skin!!! I started at 50mg daily, then after 2 weeks it was increased to 100mg daily. I noticed within 4-6 weeks that my skin was clearing up and I no longer was getting new breakouts. I've been on it now for 10 months, and honestly I don't think I've even had one pimple in the past 2 or 3 months. This stuff is simply amazing. If you struggle with acne, I would recommend at least trying this. I never thought I would ever have clear skin, and I now have completely clear smooth skin. It's incredible. The only side effect I've had is fatigue, so I do take it at night before bedtime, and I wake up very well-rested. In addition, I pee a lot more often as is to be expected from a diuretic, so I drink tons of water to make up for it. Also as a side note, I've lost about 10 pounds since starting it which is also a plus :)."

Megan Jacobs December 6, 2015

"I do not usually leave reviews but this stuff is seriously life changing. I never really had terrible acne in high school. I broke out right before my period in college but nothing too severe. I'm 24 now and in the Spring of this past year 2015, I started breaking out uncontrollably on my cheeks, which I had never even had acne with before. I also would get big ones on my head, temples, and still broke out with big pimples on my chin every month. I tried all of the natural things like tree oil and I tried changing my diet, taking anti biotics, every cream, lotion, face wash that you can get off the shelf and nothing worked. If you are desperate, this drug works. I have been on this medication since August 2015 and my face is 100% healed."

legomymego24 December 2, 2015