User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Spironolactone Review Summary

8.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 454 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Acne

"Throughout my life I've had acne and tried many different treatments. Some of them worked and some of them didn't. Spironolactone is one that definitely works. I was prescribed this medication in conjunction with doxycycline, clindamycin lotion and tretoin cream. My skin has cleared up so much, and I am so pleased. I have been taking all the medication for about 3 months and the spironolactone for the past 2 months. 50 mg every night. My dermatologist recently uped my dosage to 100mg every night because my skin still isn't 100%. This drug works great! I would definetly recommend taking this medication for acne. I'm so happy that my skin is clearing up and I do not have to be so self conscious over it. now to get rid of these darn scars !!!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 16, 2015

"At age 50 spiro has been only thing to help persistent skin problems of a lifetime! Initially, brought on 2 week periods, but this ended by third month."

50 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 14, 2015

"I'm a 28 year old woman who switched from oral birth control to the Mirena IUD. That is the only change I can associate with a horrible bought of hormonal acne that started about 6 months after I made the switch. I had embarrassing, painful acne along my jawline down onto my neck. My skin was greasier than normal and products that would typically keep my breakouts at bay didn't touch the cysts on my jawline and neck. I've been taking 100mg of Sprio for about 6 weeks now and I've already seen great improvement. My skin isn't 100% yet but it's obviously improving and I assume it will get even better with time. I haven't experienced any side effects, no weight gain, dizziness, or breakout period."

eadickson June 11, 2015

"Absolute life changer. I'm in my late 30's and have been on antibiotics for most of my life to treat moderate to severe acne. Besides Accutane, I found the most success with Bactrim, but recently became unable to tolerate it. It took four months for me to see results from Spironolactone, but what a relief to now not have my life revolve around trying unsuccessfully to manage breakouts and cysts anymore! I did experience lightheadedness in the beginning and still on occasion. Cut from 100mg to 50mg in the beginning to help the dizziness, and now back to 100mg. Very thankful I found this med."

Hooray! June 10, 2015

"I went off birth control after about 10 years and my skin did not appreciate that! I dealt with the severe jawline/neck acne for a few months until it started affecting my life. I went back on birth control, so I did some research on this medicine and prepared to ask my derm for it; but as soon as he heard my story, he recommended 150 mg of sprironolacetone. I've been on for about 4 months and my skin is amazing. It took about this long to actually see dramatic results so don't get frustrated! Unfortunately I had some light superficial scars on my neck and jawline which was disappointing. I began using some cosmedix products that I read were successful in reducing acne scars and indeed they did!"

Erb29 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 8, 2015

"I have had acne in my face no back since I started menstruating. I'm 19. I tried everything. My gynecologist put me on spironolactone 100mg. I've been on it since January 5 mos) and my face no back got much worse, I got even more hair on my arms (the dr said that would go away) and I would stop losing hair on my head (didn't happen). After five months, I gained 25 pounds! So be careful using this drug...."

Culture girl May 31, 2015

"I started taking this medication about a year ago. To be honest the first 2 months were OKAY no intense breakouts. But once months 3-4 hit, I experienced the worst breakout of my life!! Painful cysts on my cheeks and around my mouth. I made it through that rough patch and now my skin is incredible. Minor small pimples here and there but my skin is 100% better than what it was before. The down side is that I have gained about 10 pounds around my hips and lower stomach"

Brittyy May 25, 2015

"Nearly a year ago I broke out with hormonal acne, and it was horrible, but I finally got a dermatologist appointment two months ago and she put me on spiro starting at 25mgs a day, because she said for some people it can cause dizziness, and since I weigh a hundred pounds she wanted to start low. I'm now on 50 mgs and I have no issues with dizziness, I might go up to 75 mgs but I've been on it for two months and my skin is pretty clear and back to being my 'old skin'. My only issue now is dealing with the discoloration from my acne, but my derm said that will clear up with time and gave me a retin-a to help. I hope this works for you, because I love it!!!"

sunshinedaisies223 May 23, 2015

"I wanted to share my experience with others who suffer from acne because these reviews were the only thing that kept me hopeful during my initial stages of spirolactone. I'm a 30 year old woman who suffered from back acne since the age of 21. I tried EVERYTHING (besides accutane) to clear it up. Nothing got rid of my problem. I felt like the older I got the worse it got. I had cystic acne all on my upper back, neck and shoulders. It was embarrassing and humiliating. I've been on spirolactone for 3 months and I could cry I'm so happy. The initial breakout was bad but I stuck with it and I'm so happy I did. I'd say I'm 90% clear. If you are a woman suffering from hormonal acne you need to try this, it's a life saver!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

"It completely cleared my face of stubborn, cystic acne. However, I gained 40 lbs over two years, had no energy, and could sleep for 13 hours a night. I still work out regularly and watch what I eat. It seems the weight gain is happening more to people in their 30s-40s..."

Anaii May 6, 2015

"I never write reviews, but for this medication I feel obligated to warn about the side effects. I was a healthy 22 yr old, and started getting cystic acne from the mirena. I then was put on 75 mg Spiro everyday. All was well for the first few months, and then I started noticing progressively worse digestive issues. I couldn't eat more than a handful at a time, and some days it would hurt so bad to eat that I wouldn't. I lost 25 lbs in a matter of 2 months, and was diagnosed with gastroparesis about 7 mos into taking spiro. After I stopped the meds, I was able to eat again within weeks. Be careful, and if you start having stomach issues please consider that spiro could be making you sick."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2015

"After suffering from cystic acne my whole life (I'm 33) and using salicylic acid and benzoyl peroxide for years to manage it, I noticed my skin was noticeably aging more than my twin sister who wasn't on these products. After reading Clear Skin Forever and the dangers of those products, I took myself off and immediately broke out. The breakouts got worse for several months until I saw a dermatologist who put me on Spiro. I've been on it for almost a year and it changed my life. It takes a while for everything to heal, especially cystic acne and scarring, but my skin looks amazing now. Started noticing the benefits after a month and it's gotten continually better. Stay away from Clean and Clear and Clearasil products and see a dermatologist."

Heather C. (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 22, 2015

"I have suffered from moderate to severe acne for years. I have always had bad breakouts that coincided with my cycle in my teen years. I assumed this would go away once I got older. However, it seemed to get worse throughout my mid-twenties. I am now 28. I would get cystic acne mostly around my mouth & chin area. I always had 4 or 5 huge red pimples. Not only unsightly, they were painful & would last for weeks. I tried everything - cleansers, masks, creams, toners, diet, antibiotics, & bc (10 ). Accutane was the last on the list...until Spironolactone appeared. My doc prescribed me the min 25mg dose per day. The 1st week I noticed a change! My skin cleared right up & I have had ONE pimple in the past 3 weeks. I am amazed. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!"

NatalieRose April 9, 2015

"I have struggled with acne on and off since high school, it was never terrible but bad enough for me to see a dermatologist. After years of antibiotics, face creams, expensive cleaners, acid peels etc., I have finally found the solution for my hormonal related acne with spiro. The important thing with spiro, as I had read in other reviews is patience and getting the right dosage. I expected the initial break out as many other reviewers mention, trust me it happens, but my skin is now clearer than it has been in years. My dermatologist started me on the 50mg dosage, but after three months I was still having mild breakouts with fluctuations in hormones so my dosage was upped to 100mg a day, which worked almost immediately! This is great!"

Great for Homonal acne (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2015

"I have been getting cystic acne on my right cheek since I turned 30. My face was like an oil slick. I tried everything, from topical creams, to using natural stuff (herbs and vitamins), taking myself off all dairy products (boy was that expensive) changing laundry detergents and pillow cases everyday...it was RIDICULOUS!! I finally begged my Dr. to give me accutane and he refused. He sent me off to a dermatologist to assess the situation. I am an adult acne sufferer. She told me that accutane is prescribed more to the younger people with acne and that what I was suffering from was adult acne. She prescribed Doxycycline and Spironolactone. Cleared up within a week I suffered for 5 years with this and just can't believe the results!!"

Syn-Sage (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 6, 2015

"Two years ago, when I was 20, I started to breakout like crazy. I had acne all over my face. My Dermatologist prescribed me some lotions and creams, and told me to be patients. They barely worked on me. A year ago, I was checked to have ovarian cyst and hormone imbalance. My dermatologist waited another half year to make sure those lotions really didn't work on me, then she prescribed me the spironolactone. I started with 50mg a day, and that worked not very obvious, then I changed to 100mg a day, it's a miracle. I still have one or two when before my period, but besides that, it's all just acne scar. I guess I need to focus on how to get rid of the marks now"

Michelle Y (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 31, 2015

"I have never written a review for anything, however I felt it imperative that I comment here on what Spironolactone has done for me, with the hope that it will help others. I read the reviews here before going on Spiro and all the positive comments were my incentive for trying it. I truly felt like all hope was lost. Spiro has been the ONLY thing that has worked on my extreme, disfiguring cystic acne. For 2 years, I tried everything under the sun (proactiv, 2 different antibiotics, topical ointments, gels, creams...) None of it helped and a lot of it made my skin worse. (The antibiotics made me so naseous that I was vomiting, unable to drive, even fell over.) I have had NO side effects which is unheard of for me. Started working after 1week"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2015

"I have battled cystic acne since I was twelve years old. I'm 33 now and finally using something effective. I take 50 mg twice per day and over a three month period the breakouts have decreased. I have not experienced any weight gain or other side effects while taking spironoloactone. I am also using retin a gel at night and wash with panoxyl twice a day. I feel more confident now that my skin is clearer. I've tried almost every product there is from Murad to Neutrogena, this is the first time in a long time I've experienced little to no breakouts."

Effective treatment March 24, 2015

"So I've been taking 100mg for a week now. My skin has been noticeably less oily and I've had no new breakouts. However, yesterday I noticed a tingling feeling in my back that last for a few hours then subsided. I toook it today and in about 30mins I started experiencing that tingling feeling in my back again. Think I'm going to stop. I'd rather deal with the oil and acne than experience this tingling feeling."

Kimidee (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2015

"I started taking spironolactone about 3 months ago on 25mg. I noticed a change right away but then my skin went back to usual after a few weeks. I then upped up my dosage to 50mg 1.5 months ago and noticed a difference again right away. My skin was almost 100% clear. About a week ago my skin started getting bad again. Thinking I might start doing 25mg in the mornings, and 50mg at night. Hopefully this will be what works for me! I'm not giving up!"

kspiro March 18, 2015

"Literally tried for years every single product over the market and most from the dermatologist and nothing worked. I had cystic acne, a literal pizza face. I had no confidence and couldn't leave the house without full makeup// summers at the beach were nightmares. I am 20 years old and after about a year on spirolactone I have amazing skin. I do not even recognize it. I have better skin then my friends which I never thought people would say. Absolute life changer. Along with w topical Tazorac I don't even have scarring! This medicine is like gold I live in a sorority house and I have to hide it so my friends don't take it because they think my skin looks so good."

Crem (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 16, 2015

"I started having hormonal acne in my late twenties and I went through all the over the counter treatments including proactiv and murad but nothing worked... I went to the Dermatologist and She put me on this medication 100mg and it has worked great, I been on it two months and the oilyness and bumps are gone!!! In the beginning my face became really dry due to this medication but just get a good moisturizer and it will be fine!!! It Rocks"

Dee34 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 8, 2015

"I had acne since I was younger but after having my son at 20 my acne went crazy big cystic acne along my jaw line I tried antibiotics creams all sorts of things but nothing worked and finally my dermatologist put me on Aldactone. I'm on it 150 mg. I was on 200 mg first but I got a little nauseous at times nothing major so my doc lowered my dosage but this medicine has truly changed my life. My face glows I get maybe one pimple a month before I had 10 or more daily I'm so glad I tried this because I was considering Accutane but this is awesome with little to no side effects for me."

connie369 March 6, 2015

"I've been taking 100mg twice a day for about 7 or 8 years now for cystic acne (I'm 45 years old). I tried antibiotics and multiple topicals and washes prescribed by my dermatologist. Spironolactone is the only thing that decreased my cystic acne by about 80%. I also used Epiduo for spot/preventative treatment of acne on my chin but it really dried out my skin. When I got my Clarisonic 4 or 5 years ago, it was like the miracle I had been hoping for! I use Clarisonic in the mornings and just wash with a washcloth and Cerave foaming facial cleanser and use Cerave lotion for my skin care. I actually get complements on my "beautiful" skin now! I hope you have as great of an experience as I did with Spironolactone!!!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 26, 2015

"AMAZING medication for hormonal acne! I am in my mid-twenties and began having hormonal acne and very oily skin this past year. My acne was primarily located on my jaw line, chin and far sides of my cheeks. It is completely gone and my complexion is GLOWING."

Liz1988 February 21, 2015

100 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next