User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Spironolactone review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 22 medications used in the treatment of Alopecia.

Reviews for Spironolactone to treat Alopecia

Review by SidQid (taken for less than 1 month):

I am 19 years old and have female androgenetic alopecia, at an alarmingly high stage at that. This had a HORRIBLE initial shed but it has stopped shedding and now I have less hair falling out. I don't see any regrowth though and am using minoxidil every other day so maybe if I used it regularly I'd be fine. Minoxidil is causing me to grow lots of facial hair though (5% concentration) and the spironolactone is supposed to fix hirsutism but the minoxidil is more dominating in the facial hair aspect... not giving up though because keeping hair on my head is more important than having a hairy face. I can just wax/thread facial hair.

November 26, 2013 5:20 AM

Review by jubatron (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been taking spironolactone 50mg for 6 months, my skin cleared up dramatically almost perfectly. It's not greasy anymore. My hair feels softer but is still coming out a little, although it does feel much healthier I don't see any amazing regrowth. I've decided to up the dose to 100mg because it doesn't hurt anymore. It was a real curve coming from 25 to 50. It hurt whenever I jumped right into 100mg when I first started. I don't pee that much either even now on 100mg, I think my body has a tolerance for it. Nothing hurts really but my stomach (not belly, but stomach right below the heart) that went away in time, the pain was more of a depleted feeling than a painful feeling. I had a little brain fog in the beginning, not anymore.

November 22, 2013 2:00 PM

Review by samiha:

I've been on this medication for 4 months no. I started noticing a dramatical change in my facial hair, it's all gone by 90%, for my hair loss I can say that I did see a big change but at least I'm not losing hair like I used to. It makes me urinate alot but its a normal thing. It all also helped me to lose weight. No side effect until now.

February 3, 2012 3:47 PM

Review by chula03:

I had been experiencing hair loss for about 2 years. I finally decided to do some research and found out about spironolactone. Spironolactone slows down the hair loss but does not help hair regrowth. I decided to try it out and went to a dermatologist to have this medicine prescribed to me. The doctors started me off with a 50mg once a day. But during my research I found out that the effective dosage would be 200 mg a day (divided). So, I decided to do 200 mg a day. I am happy to say that my hair loss has completely stopped after two weeks of taking this medicine at 200 mg a day. I am also using Rogaine 5% twice a day. My problem is that I can not find a dermatologist that will prescribe me a stronger dosage.

March 24, 2011 12:12 PM

Aldactone (spironolactone): It has help me to grow hair back on my head and assist in breast growth

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2011 1:19 AM

Review by Shedder:

Have been taking generic spironolactone 100mg 2x day (morning and night) for acne and hormonal hairless (female pattern, testosterone related). It has greatly reduced hair loss And skin has been clearer also. Libido has been affected somewhat, not sure how much though. No significant side effects yet. Much better than birth control pills that I stuck with for years, as I knew hair loss would intensify when I stopped them and boy did they ever.

August 27, 2010 2:22 AM