User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism 5 reviews 1 medications

Heart Failure 2 reviews 112 medications

4.7
Summary of Spironolactone reviews 173 reviews 7.9

Reviews for Spironolactone

For Acne: "Spironolactone cured my acne! I started getting pretty severe acne this year and after trying minocycline and doxycycline which did not work for me, my dermatologist recommended spironolactone. After just 3 weeks, my acne started to calm down and I am currently nearing my 2nd month of spironolactone and my face is acne free. Although I have oily skin, spironolactone really dried up my face and lips so I have to moisturize constantly throughout the day. This medicine took some time to see drastic improvements but it is definitely worth the try!"

Miracle Med (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 4, 2014

For Acne: "Cystic acne has cleared up. Hair on legs/arms grows more slowly. Hair on head doesn't get greasy. Bust has increased from 34B to 34C. Weight has dropped 10lbs with no lifestyle changes. No anxiety, depression, mood swings, etc. Took approx. 3 months to start seeing these results. Very happy with progress so far."

misslilly22 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 3, 2014

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Acne: "Small acne began when I was 12. It wasn't long after I began to have cystic acne. The pattern of breakouts were within the T-zone - forehead, nose, chin but I was rarely got then on my outer cheeks. Makeup made them worse, my skin was bad and real oily. All over-the-counter cleaners, medications, and a couple advertised on TV did nothing to help clear my skin. I gave up. But during my mid-20's I decided to see a dermatologist. She prescribed this to me and now my face is clear. People can't believe I suffered from acne it's so clear, and makeup is finally used to accentuate my features rather than hide acne breakouts. People I knew asked what I was doing because it was that drastically visible. For me, it's a miracle."

JDS_79 November 29, 2014

For Acne: "35 years old. I've been on spironolactone for about 7 weeks now. I began noticing changes right around week 4. My skin is almost as clear as it was years ago when I was on Accutane. Pretty much no side effects as of yet (knock on wood). I've been on every medication possible and nothing worked. Finally I went to a new dermatologist who prescribed spironolactone and I wish I would've found this sooner. I rarely get a pimple now and the only one that I have gotten has been really tiny and has gone away after a day. I hope the success continues."

Love this! November 28, 2014

For Acne: "I have been taking spironolactone for about 4 months now. My skin is clearer and I have much fewer breakouts. When I first started taking it I had pretty bad orthostatic hypotension, I experienced excessive urinating (mainly right after I took the medication). My acne got worse and it took at least a month for my face to improve. My breast continues to be sore, I am lightheaded still, and I have lost weight. Mind you, I was loosing weight before I started to take this medication. I have noticed that my skin is really dry and becoming more wrinkles (although I'm only 21 so not that wrinkly). My skin has also been itchy but not sure if that is only related to the dryness. This medicine works for acne but there are definite side effects."

Lori moto November 28, 2014

For Acne: "Amazing! Moderate hormonal acne my entire life. Tried many oral and topical medicines. This is a miracle. I still get a couple small blemishes around ovulation but that's it! So pleased!"

LiaK1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 17, 2014

For Acne: "I'm 21 years old and I have suffered with acne since I was 16. I would get cysitc type acne all over my cheeks, chin, and forehead. I've been through countless medications to get rid of my acne including antibiotics, topical treatments, and birth control, etc etc. Most of these would only temporarily solve my problem, or not give me any results at all. I felt as though I was out of options and there would never be a cure for me. I talked to my cousin who is a pharmacist and she recommended spironolactone. I've only been on 25mg for a couple weeks but I am already seeing amazing results! I'm almost certain this may be my breakthrough. I only wish I had known of this medication sooner."

Ninaballerina (taken for less than 1 month) November 16, 2014

For Acne: "Great experience with this medicine so far. I started taking 50 mg a day 5 weeks ago and just about a week ago saw significant improvement. I don't think I had an initial breakout but just no improvement in the first 4 weeks. I also use Retin A at night but this alone wasn't enough. Combined with Spiro give great results."

Kad0813 October 24, 2014

For Acne: "This works! I had hormonal cystic acne along my jawline and by my ears. It took 4 months for me to get the right dose but now I don't get any cysts!"

Lildee October 1, 2014

For Acne: "I started taking spironolactone over a year and a half ago for moderate-severe acne that had been giving me awful self esteem, I was afraid to go out, and I was so depressed I was not myself anymore. Spironolactone has given me back my life. I didn't think it would ever be possible for me to feel pretty without makeup, but I'm starting to. I did have a TERRIBLE breakout about a month after starting spironolactone that almost pushed me over the edge; it was miserable. But it cleared, and has continued to do so. It took at least 3 months to see the results I hoped for, but it has just gotten better and better. I'm just hoping this is a good solution for me long-term; I want kids someday and I know I will have to stop this med before pregnancy."

mtgirl406 September 20, 2014

For Acne: "I have always battled acne my whole life. I've been on Spironolactane for 2 months and I'm seeing great results on my skin. I am concerned that my menstrual cycle just won't stop! I had my normal period which is 6 days. I went one week without a period and then started again for 11 days, then off for 5 days and then started again. I'm on day 9 of bleeding. I don't want to take any other meds. Does this get better?"

TXgirl78249 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 8, 2014

For Acne: "I wanted to love spironolactone. It cleared up my hormonal acne within a month and never let me down. I thought I had finally found the perfect solution to my problem. But after taking it for about a year, I suddenly gained almost twenty pounds. All of the weight gain was in the thigh and hip areas, places I had not experienced weight gain before. Nothing had changed in my daily routine. I work out almost every day and a healthy diet is just part of my lifestyle. I visited the doctor a few weeks ago and she recommended I stop taking it and see what happens. So far, I haven't been able to lose much weight and my acne is already starting to resurface. I've already tried Accutane once and don't want to do it again."

Blinkme July 21, 2014

For Acne: "I was on spironolactone 3 months before I saw results...but once I did they were amazing! I had a lot of pimples around my chin area mostly. Since I've been on the medicine I've had the occasional zit, but it usually resolves faster and isn't huge like previous ones I would I get. I haven't noticed any improvement in the greasiness of my skin, but as long as the acne is gone I'm happy! I have found I can have reliably clear skin and feel so much better about myself overall. It's easier and faster to do my makeup and people are always commenting on how perfect my skin is now! I am definitely happy with this medicine."

A Rose (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 13, 2014

For Acne: "I took antibiotics for a couple of decades. Accutane in the mid-90's. That had a positive impact for 2 years and then the oil glands geared back up and acne again. Doxycycline for roughly another 10 years. Plus Benzoclinze OTC wash and topical treatments such as Differin and Retin A. Autoimmune issues from allergies to hair loss developed. Prescribed spiranolactone to help reduce androgens - hair loss and acne treatment. My acne appears in odd places like scalp, inside ears plus face and my upper back and neck. The oil produced can best be described as feeling like bacon grease. Med works for acne/oil reduction. Stopped for a month and regret it. Oil production and acne. Plus, hair loss."

Washington, DC June 26, 2014

For Acne: "Wanted to give an update on the review I wrote 10 months ago. If you are an adult female with acne involving the jawline, hairline, neck, back, chest or upper arms, there is a great chance it could be hormonal. I had mild to moderate acne that suddenly worsened at the same time I started having irregular periods. It literally went from controllable to a disaster. I started researching and asked my doctor about trying spironolactone. This was almost exactly one year ago. First month consisted of a nasty initial breakout, but following that, I saw gradual improvement and am 100% clear for the first time in my adult life. My life is completely different. I used to hide. I can wear any clothing I want now. I will NEVER give up this medication."

anon9067 June 25, 2014

For Acne: "I took spironolactone for 3 years for moderate to severe cystic acne on the lower part of my face. I had suffered from acne to varying degrees for about 12 years and had tried most available treatments, including IBs, oral contraceptives and Roaccutane. Some of these had temporary benefits. With spironolactone I had a bad initial breakout in the 1st month on 100mg, then my skin cleared up almost completely over the next 2 months. I increased to 125mg per day for about 1 year, then lowered to 100mg and only taking it 4 or 5 days per week. I had flawless skin. When I stopped, my acne returned after about 6 months. I have now started again, and my doctor has recommended continuing until menopause. I am 41. I have no serious side effects."

Spottie (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2014

For Acne: "I was taking Bactrim DS prior to spironolactone (50mg 2x/day) and clindamycin from November to April, but I started to build resistance around March and I waited until it just stopped working. I recently went to my dermatologist about a week ago and from the large painful cysts all around my mouth and chin he told the PA and myself to prescribe me spironolactone as it is hormonal. I wish I had gone on this sooner! The persistent cysts are shrinking and drying! I had an initial breakout (still have a little) but I am keeping a positive attitude which helps a ton. This will be the medicine that cures my acne of 9 years, I just know it. I'm glad my dermatologist stopped talking about Accutane with me, this is a much safer alternative if you have persistent hormonal acne."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2014

For Acne: "I was prescribed spironolatone 50mg for my acne breakouts around my chin and jaw line some other areas also. I use this in combination with aczone and they are a great team together...Amazing and fast results. I also have very oily skin along with big pores and it has decreased my pores and I have very little oil now. I'm amazed and very happy."

KIKI WOODS May 14, 2014

For Acne: "It may take a month or so to really notice the results of spirolactone, but if you have oily skin that gets worse depending on your menstrual cycle, this will probably do the trick. My skin is very clear right now, clearer than it ever got with doxycycline or minocycline. I'm very pleased with this medication."

Anonymous May 14, 2014

For Acne: "I developed acne at the age of 32. I was fortunate and had been blessed with clear skin and had never had an issue before so the cystic type acne I was getting around my cheeks and jaw line that would not go away was incredibly traumatic to me emotionally. Nothing I tried would clear it up. I was devastated. I went to a dermatologist for the first time in my life and he told me that the acne was almost certainly hormonal and a result of my IUD (inserted just over a year prior) and that Spironolactone was about the only thing that would work. He was right! He initially put me on a dose of just 50mg a day which took about a month or so to show results, and then worked great for about three of four months. After that time I saw a slight recurrence, not nearly as bad as what I was initially dealing with, but enough that I called my dermatologist. I explained the situation, he upped dosage to 100mg daily and my skin has been gorgeous and clear again ever since (about six months or so now)! This works, period."

Lexclee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Acne: "It works for cystic hormonal acne. Took two months but IT WORKS!"

middleagecystic April 3, 2014

For Acne: "I would say I had a good experience with Aldactone. My skin did clear, although I do remember having a little bit of a break-out now and then. I started taking the medicine about 6 months before my wedding (I was age 29 then) and I stopped a couple months after the wedding. My skin looked very good and the breakouts diminished. I don't think I experienced any bad cystic type acne then. I used the highest dosage of Retin A (just a tiny bit) at night also along with a Cetaphil moisturizer. Since I was getting married, I was very cautious about weight gain and I don't think I gained weight from the medication, although I was going to the gym regularly and doing weight regimens. I think I'm going on it again. I will also go on Epiduo."

Gtrheroine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 13, 2014

For Acne: "Female, 33 years old, combination skin. Occasional mild face and chest acne and painful cystic back acne. This is my second try with Spironolactone. The first try did not work, but this was prior to completing a full six month Isotretinoin (Accutane) treatment. Isotretinoin did help with the acne with an occasional breakout every now and then, but a few years later and my back acne started to come back during my menstrual period and they were painful cysts. I would get like 3-6 of them. You might think this is nothing, but the scars all over my back will prove I have a real problem. Now, my dermatologist prescribed me Spironolactone again but 150mg (1/day with my birth control pill). She thinks that this might work now after Accutane. I'll update with progress."

Melba T (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2014

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Acne: "I have been taking Aldactone for adult hormonal acne for almost 2 years and I cannot even put into words the HUGE difference it has made. In my early 20's, I began getting horrible cystic acne all over my chin and entire jaw line area. I had used every product available including Proactive, expensive designer dept store lines, Retin-A, birth controls etc...NOTHING helped! I'd have 5-15 painful nodules at once, each lasting 2-3 weeks and most scaring. My self-esteem was ruined, I was ashamed. Finally, at age 28, I went to a dermatologist and started on Aldactone 100mg/day. I saw noticeable improvement within a week and was totally clear in one month! Increased to 150mg/day after 3 months and have had flawless skin since. Truly a LIFESAVER medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 6, 2014

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Acne: "Been on spironolactone for probably 2 or 3 yrs now. We have always had a love/hate relationship. Rest assured, spironolactone will work for most people when it comes to combating acne (all acne is caused by hormones to some degree) but like any other medication, spironolactone is not without side effects! Over the years I have decreased my dosage and sometimes tried to completely stop taking it due to: weight gain (yes you initially lose it but just wait!), thinning hair, depression, dehydration (I believe this side effect is worse for me due to other medicines I take with it), slower metabolism/fatigue, and evidence that this medicine was totally prematurely aging my skin! Initially it was 25mgs 2x a day but now I just take 25mgs a day."

Lobstermobster (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2014