User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism 5 reviews 1 medications

4.7
Summary of Spironolactone reviews 119 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Spironolactone

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: On my fourth week of taking 50 mg of Spironolactone. Was put on this medication for cystic acne. Improvements I've noticed are definitely less oil and blackheads have cleared up, however I am still battling cystic acne around my chin/mouth and occasional pimples on my forehead. I am thirsty quite a lot and subsequently pee a lot too, but have not noticed any weight gain! Skin on my cheeks have been very dry. Fighting both cystic acne and cracked skin is a hassle. I'm hoping by next month I will see improvements in my cystic acne and not continue to worsen.

June 9, 2013 12:26 AM

Review by cecilenice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I have gained about 6 or 7 pounds (i.e. half a stone or 3 kilos) in total. My reflection in the mirror is fine but my clothes have become too tight, I feel very uncomfortable in them and in fact, I feel uncomfortable in my own skin. Somehow, I just feel inflated. The weight gain is really around the waist, the bottom and the thighs (and the bust, the one area I am not complaining about). I did a quick search on the internet and quick enough I found a number of forums discussing weight gain with spiro (in the exact same areas). Weight is a sensitive issue for me because I did struggle a bit with it in my teens/early twenties.

May 10, 2013 11:41 AM

Review by peter Dumai. (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For High Blood Pressure: I have had high blood pressure for 4 years (now age 69) my doctor prescribed spironolactone as part of my treatment take one 25 MG tablet every day in the morning. to reduce body salt and retain potassium. I was not advised of the side effects such as lack of sexual drive. I have to urinate about 6 times per day (twice overnight) which is a minor problem, difficult getting to sleep, avoid taking sleeping pills, get light headed and dizzy spells at times have to take time when rising from the sitting position. Do not have any of the other side effects as described in the literature. With other medicines my blood pressure is under control.

May 5, 2013 9:27 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Gender Dysphoria: After switching from cyproterone acetate to spironolactone, I found that apart from increased urination, it works almost as well to decrease androgen levels. It does what it is supposed to, and for that, I'm very happy!

April 18, 2013 4:52 PM

Review by Frustrated 43 old (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I never had acne issues when I was a teenager, but I'm 43 now and I'm having hormonal acne on my chin and behind my ears along the hairline. I was prescribed Spironolactone because I was taking Minocycline and my doc wanted me to get me off it because of the side effects. Well now my acne has gotten worse after taking Spironolactone for 2 months. I've read a lot reviews were people have stated its taken about 4 months before they saw any improvement. I'm hoping that will happen for me! Just curious if anyone my age is going through the same thing as I am? The bright side is my insurance covers this medication, so I haven't had to pay a penny for it since I started using it.

April 16, 2013 11:57 PM

Review by Sam0321 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: If you have acne that is likely hormone related (if it's not then this medicine won't help you) and you are taking spironolactone but are getting impatient, DON'T GIVE UP!! I have been taking spironolactone 50 mg/day for about 4 months and finally started seeing results a few weeks ago. It really can help you, just be patient! My life is changed because of this medicine. No more painful, incessant cysts on my chin, no more piling on makeup trying to hide my acne, no more shutting myself in my house because I don't want to see anyone. I did have a BAD initial breakout, but now that I am seeing results, it was so worth it.

April 11, 2013 11:48 PM

Review by Anon 2:

For Acne: I started getting severe cystic acne after I turned 22 and have battled it for years. I tried absolutely everything, the problem was definitely hormonal, so it makes sense to target hormones, no oil or bacteria. I take 50mg 2x a day and LOVE spironolactone. The first few days were a little weird but the side effects go away after 2-3 days. Just stay hydrated, the medicine is really very mild. My hormonal cystic acne improved almost immediately but then did have a milk breakout at 2 months. Now 3 months in and it is truly wonderful!! Keep with it! It works wonders on hormonal acne. I now have no cystic acne or acne otherwise. If your acne is hormonal this is the treatment! I also love not having to feel bloated all the time (no water weight).

April 11, 2013 2:58 PM

Review by boomtaiwan (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I am not having luck with this. I took 50 mg for one month and now 100 mg for 2 months and my acne is worsening and is so painful. My chin has been taking over my an army of pussy intruders and my eyebrows have became a landing spot of meteors. I am taking this along with Seasonique birth control. I have had my period 5 weeks straight and my hormones are crazy! I'm really hoping if I keep taking it things will get better but I'm starting to lose hope.

March 17, 2013 9:56 AM

Review by PCG:

For Acne: I've been having painful nodular cystic acne for the past 1 year. I've had polycystic ovarian syndrome for some time, but for some reason, the acne became a problem this year. So far, I have been on the spironolactone for 1 month, and I broke out AGAIN after my period as expected, but it's much less. Smaller nodules, barely noticeable, and not painful. I'm at a 50 mg/day dose now. Hopefully the acne should improve if I'm patient, but so far the acne is definitely less severe. Side effects: some weight loss, which is probably all the urine I'm peeing out as this is a diuretic; some dryness of the skin, nothing a moisturizer can't help with.

February 13, 2013 11:55 PM

Review by WearyLifer (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For High Blood Pressure: I'm a 46 year old female and have been on spironolactone for 2 years for high blood pressure. After a year and a half my doctor took me off for a couple of months as I had great blood pressure and he thought with my avid exercising and diet changes I'd be able to regulate it myself. My blood pressure immediately shot up to dangerous levels and I had to be back on Spironolactone immediately which also immediately took my blood pressure back down to safe levels. Unless something else comes along, I guess I'm on it for life. I count my blessings, it does it's job and with only two noticeable side-effects for me both negative and positive: slight drowsiness and keeps any water retention at bay (which I had a problem with previously).

January 23, 2013 11:49 AM

Review by lauriedasz:

For Acne: I started taking this years ago, my dermatologist prescribed it, I had went off the pill and started getting acne on my chest and back. It worked wonderful! Also it took away the oily shine I had on my face! But the best part of all was my cramps stopped right before my periods, and the periods got lighter and then they stopped completely! I think its been almost a year now since I have had one its weird though, because if I miss a day taking the pill, I will start cramping. I wonder if I quit, will my period start back? oh, and it did nothing for me on the losing of weight.. wish it did though!

January 18, 2013 9:53 AM

Review by acnegirl:

For Acne: I am 20 years old currently, but when I was 16 I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome. I have always struggled with weight, but nothing major. I go up and down, I am 5'7 and I am always between 135-160. I was put on Yasmin and took it for 3 years, and then I went off it for 2 months. While I was off the Yasmin, I had no acne. After 2 months, I went back on because my prescription was refilled, and my skin was TERRIBLE. It also scarred. I went to my gyn after 3 months of vigorously trying to get rid of the acne, and she kept me on my Yasmin while adding Metformin and Spironolactone. This combination worked wonders after 3 days! Lost weight, NO new acne, and my cystic pimples have DISAPPEARED.

January 15, 2013 10:01 AM

Review by Sad and scared (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I was diagnosed with borderline polycystic ovarian syndrome when I was younger having bad side effects on my body including severe acne when I was 16 I went on a course of Accutane and it worked amazingly. I had small breakouts now and then but nothing that compared to what it used to be. I now am 24 and was prescribed spironolactone because symptoms of PCOS were arising and endocrinologist and dermatologist suggested going on this medication to reduce hair growth and so far I'm disappointed. I know that it takes a couple of months for a medicine to fully take effect but my acne has become so severe, along my chin area and I pray that this is just initial and it will go away.

January 5, 2013 4:51 AM

For Acne: I've just gotten on this medicine about 2 weeks ago. First off, it DOES take a while for ANY medication to get in your system. But first week, I hadn't had one single zit emerge on my face. By week two, I had a few small bumps appear, but nothing like the huge painful giant puss-filled ones that usually do. I have yet to have a cyst ::knock on wood::, I'll take those little zits over the nasty ones any day! I hear you have to wait a few months to see full results. I can't wait.

December 16, 2012 12:52 AM

For Hirsutism: My GYN put me on spironolactone to try and clear up my acne and excess body hair. My acne has gotten a little better, and I no longer have hair on my chin. I still have some hair on my abdomen and thighs, but I've only been on spironolactone for six months. So far, I think it's great.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 18, 2012 12:09 PM

Review by Roccky (taken for 10 years or more):

Aldactone (spironolactone) for : Good medicine, effect is better.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 19, 2012 12:05 AM

Review by NeesaKj (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Acne: Great! Works wonders for oily skin and hormonal acne. A bonus is that it helped make me 10lbs lighter.

September 11, 2012 11:03 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I'm currently in my 6th week of this medication and couldn't be more pleased. For the first time since puberty I have skin that isn't excessively oily. This in itself is a miracle and my skin & scalp look fresh. I'm 28 and have experienced severe cystic acne for over 12 years and no combination of OTC &/or prescribed treatments have ever worked for me. I can't believe I wasn't prescribed this sooner. I'm still in shock that something is actually working to clear my skin. If you have hormonal acne please try this - you won't be sorry.

September 10, 2012 11:53 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Hirsutism: I have been using this medicine for about 1 month my doctor gave it to me for excessive facial hair. Since I have been taking it. I have noticed the hair grows slower and is lighter and not as course as before but be patient it takes a little while to see results and I believe it will get better with continued use. I did not experience ill side effects with it, in fact I also suffer from adult acne & have tried everything I could find to treat and nothing worked, but I have had no new breakouts after a month and I am just thrilled with the results I am getting. I would recommend it to anyone with facial hair problems!

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 18, 2012 1:51 PM

Review by happy:) (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I have been seeing my dermatologist for 3 years and I have tried every common antibiotic and topical cream to no avail. I have been on spironolactone (in conjunction with Benzaclin gel, Cetaphil wash twice a day and tetracycline, which I have been on for a year and a half) for the past month and it has been a God-send. I recently turned 20 and my acne had never been worse. It changed from pustules to cystic nodules that would take weeks to fight back and hours spent crying in front of the mirror. I would refuse to leave the house and my boyfriend and mother became increasingly concerned. Since beginning this medicine my skin has cleared and I couldn't be happier! I would definitely recommend this medicine.

July 9, 2012 11:05 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: Only used it for 2 weeks and people are already like..WOW...its crazy how much better your skin looks. I know I wont see the full effects for another few months, but I have noticed that my face is not nearly as oily. It's more normal now, before by the end of the day I used to be able to use 5 of those clean and clear oil absorbing sheets! My redness is gone down a lot too, my acne was crazy. No all over cystic but it looked like a rash, but wasn't rosacea. And now its getting better! Yay! I am excited.

June 4, 2012 4:57 PM

For Acne: I've only been on it for 2 weeks but I have already noticed a HUGE reduction of oil on my face, and my it completely cleared my back. I'm only 19 years old but I have hormonal acne and I'm starting to see a difference on my face, not a big difference but I've only been on the pill for 2 weeks, so far so good. Can't wait to see the end result.

March 27, 2012 7:11 PM

Review by fransiska:

For Hypokalemia: It does help me getting back my life. I used to get paralysed because of low level of potassium in my blood. The doctor then told me to consume coconut water for a week and spironolactone 100mg per day. Now I can say I'm pretty well. My high blood pressure is under control too. I think it's great. The doctor told me not to get pregnant as he wasn't sure about the side effect to pregnancy. To me, it's OK.

March 25, 2012 8:03 AM

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Heart Failure: Didn't work for me. Muscle aches, itch and most importantly it dropped my blood pressure too low along with the other medication I am taking..pressure was 87/54 ...normally I am 130/70. I was exhausted, tired, weak and constantly falling asleep. This medication was not for me. Called doctor he told me to stop taking it, and this was at 1/2 pill dosage.

March 24, 2012 9:56 PM

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Acne: I've been taking this medicine for about six months for acne, and it has done wonders for me. I saw full results after about 4 months. Other than frequently having to go to the bathroom (it's a diuretic), I've experienced no side effects. My skin is flawless, and all the insecurities I had about my skin--being anxious around the time of my period in anticipation of a breakout, not wanting to leave the house without makeup--are GONE. I've been on Accutane four or five times, and while my skin always did really well for the few months I was on it, sometime afterward I'd begin to get regular breakouts. Aldactone gives me predictably clear skin, I can take it indefinitely, AND it's cheap. If you have hormonal acne, please give this a shot!

96 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2012 2:11 AM