User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism 5 reviews 1 medications

Heart Failure 2 reviews 130 medications

4.7
Summary of Spironolactone reviews 158 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Spironolactone

For Acne: "I took spironolactone for 3 years for moderate to severe cystic acne on the lower part of my face. I had suffered from acne to varying degrees for about 12 years and had tried most available treatments, including IBs, oral contraceptives and Roaccutane. Some of these had temporary benefits. With spironolactone I had a bad initial breakout in the 1st month on 100mg, then my skin cleared up almost completely over the next 2 months. I increased to 125mg per day for about 1 year, then lowered to 100mg and only taking it 4 or 5 days per week. I had flawless skin. When I stopped, my acne returned after about 6 months. I have now started again, and my doctor has recommended continuing until menopause. I am 41. I have no serious side effects."

Spottie (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 25, 2014

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Acne: "I was taking Bactrim DS prior to spironolactone (50mg 2x/day) and clindamycin from November to April, but I started to build resistance around March and I waited until it just stopped working. I recently went to my dermatologist about a week ago and from the large painful cysts all around my mouth and chin he told the PA and myself to prescribe me spironolactone as it is hormonal. I wish I had gone on this sooner! The persistent cysts are shrinking and drying! I had an initial breakout (still have a little) but I am keeping a positive attitude which helps a ton. This will be the medicine that cures my acne of 9 years, I just know it. I'm glad my dermatologist stopped talking about Accutane with me, this is a much safer alternative if you have persistent hormonal acne."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2014

For Acne: "I was prescribed spironolatone 50mg for my acne breakouts around my chin and jaw line some other areas also. I use this in combination with aczone and they are a great team together...Amazing and fast results. I also have very oily skin along with big pores and it has decreased my pores and I have very little oil now. I'm amazed and very happy."

KIKI WOODS May 14, 2014

For Acne: "It may take a month or so to really notice the results of spirolactone, but if you have oily skin that gets worse depending on your menstrual cycle, this will probably do the trick. My skin is very clear right now, clearer than it ever got with doxycycline or minocycline. I'm very pleased with this medication."

Anonymous May 14, 2014

For Acne: "I developed acne at the age of 32. I was fortunate and had been blessed with clear skin and had never had an issue before so the cystic type acne I was getting around my cheeks and jaw line that would not go away was incredibly traumatic to me emotionally. Nothing I tried would clear it up. I was devastated. I went to a dermatologist for the first time in my life and he told me that the acne was almost certainly hormonal and a result of my IUD (inserted just over a year prior) and that Spironolactone was about the only thing that would work. He was right! He initially put me on a dose of just 50mg a day which took about a month or so to show results, and then worked great for about three of four months. After that time I saw a slight recurrence, not nearly as bad as what I was initially dealing with, but enough that I called my dermatologist. I explained the situation, he upped dosage to 100mg daily and my skin has been gorgeous and clear again ever since (about six months or so now)! This works, period."

Lexclee (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 19, 2014

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Acne: "It works for cystic hormonal acne. Took two months but IT WORKS!"

middleagecystic April 3, 2014

For Acne: "I would say I had a good experience with Aldactone. My skin did clear, although I do remember having a little bit of a break-out now and then. I started taking the medicine about 6 months before my wedding (I was age 29 then) and I stopped a couple months after the wedding. My skin looked very good and the breakouts diminished. I don't think I experienced any bad cystic type acne then. I used the highest dosage of Retin A (just a tiny bit) at night also along with a Cetaphil moisturizer. Since I was getting married, I was very cautious about weight gain and I don't think I gained weight from the medication, although I was going to the gym regularly and doing weight regimens. I think I'm going on it again. I will also go on Epiduo."

Gtrheroine (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 13, 2014

For Acne: "Female, 33 years old, combination skin. Occasional mild face and chest acne and painful cystic back acne. This is my second try with Spironolactone. The first try did not work, but this was prior to completing a full six month Isotretinoin (Accutane) treatment. Isotretinoin did help with the acne with an occasional breakout every now and then, but a few years later and my back acne started to come back during my menstrual period and they were painful cysts. I would get like 3-6 of them. You might think this is nothing, but the scars all over my back will prove I have a real problem. Now, my dermatologist prescribed me Spironolactone again but 150mg (1/day with my birth control pill). She thinks that this might work now after Accutane. I'll update with progress."

Melba T (taken for less than 1 month) February 20, 2014

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Acne: "I have been taking Aldactone for adult hormonal acne for almost 2 years and I cannot even put into words the HUGE difference it has made. In my early 20's, I began getting horrible cystic acne all over my chin and entire jaw line area. I had used every product available including Proactive, expensive designer dept store lines, Retin-A, birth controls etc...NOTHING helped! I'd have 5-15 painful nodules at once, each lasting 2-3 weeks and most scaring. My self-esteem was ruined, I was ashamed. Finally, at age 28, I went to a dermatologist and started on Aldactone 100mg/day. I saw noticeable improvement within a week and was totally clear in one month! Increased to 150mg/day after 3 months and have had flawless skin since. Truly a LIFESAVER medicine."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 6, 2014

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Acne: "Been on spironolactone for probably 2 or 3 yrs now. We have always had a love/hate relationship. Rest assured, spironolactone will work for most people when it comes to combating acne (all acne is caused by hormones to some degree) but like any other medication, spironolactone is not without side effects! Over the years I have decreased my dosage and sometimes tried to completely stop taking it due to: weight gain (yes you initially lose it but just wait!), thinning hair, depression, dehydration (I believe this side effect is worse for me due to other medicines I take with it), slower metabolism/fatigue, and evidence that this medicine was totally prematurely aging my skin! Initially it was 25mgs 2x a day but now I just take 25mgs a day."

Lobstermobster (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2014

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Edema: "No side effects and a lot easier to my metabolism than Lasix"

cp_len February 2, 2014

For Acne: "I am 42yrs old and have always had problems with acne. I have been through a countless array of topical, laser and medication regimes and this is the only thing that has worked. My skin is clear and no more oil slick. The only thing I am concerned about is the rapid weight gain...It is not a listed side affect but have gained 12lbs since starting in late December. "

Rizzoma January 30, 2014

For Acne: "I am a 40 year old woman who's been struggling with mild-moderate and cystic acne in varying degrees since I was 11. I've also had very oily skin. I've been prescribed all the usual medicines: antibiotics, birth control pills, various topical creams and really, nothing has made any significant improvement. When I turned 40, 4 months ago I decided after doing extensive research, to ask my doctor about spironolactone. Since I'm not looking to become pregnant, she thought we could give it a try. So I've been on 50mg once a day for 4 months and this medicine has completely changed my life. My skin is not oily anymore and my cystic acne in my back is gone. My face is clear of acne. No side effects. But why didn't any dr/dermatologist prescribe this for me years ago?"

Violet40 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2014

For Acne: "I have been on this medication for a little over a month and it has already been incredible. I took minocycline for over 2 years and though it did improve my acne a little, it did not solve the issue. When I went to my dermotologist, he recommended I add this medication and I was very hopeful! I see that many other women have had trouble with it working until at least 3 months in, but I started seeing results with-in two weeks. The cystic acne that I would get every month that was big and annoying, not only on my face but also on my back, was almost all gone and it has not come back at all if I am faithful to take it. I would absolutely recommend at least asking your doctor about it, because it has been a life saver for me."

Lishious123 January 21, 2014

For Acne: "I was diagnosed with PCOS when I was 17 (I'm 22 now) and my acne had never been very bad until I came down with it. We are talking awful breakouts: face, chest, back... everywhere. My Dr. put me on metformin (1000mg) and spironolactone (150mg) and I did get the IB but it wasn't too horrible. I took spiro for 4 yrs up until this past summer when my refills ran out and my doctor told me I needed to find a new primary care doctor so I went a good 6 mo off it. Basically my skin has gone back to its original state, I started the spiro again 5 days ago and I am waiting for the initial breakout again but the worst has just been a bunch of little additional blackheads. Hopefully I will not get the IB this time! Even so, totally worth the results!!"

Jessica B. January 19, 2014

For Acne: "I only wish I had started spironolactone sooner. It has completely stopped my hormonal cystic acne. I had suffered with large painful cysts about once monthly for the last few years (after ten acne-free years following Accutane in the 90s). After starting spironolactone I did have one really major cyst come up right next to my nose which lasted a good week or so. It arose after approximately 4 weeks on the medicine (it was so large it could have had its own zip code). Since then I have been completely acne-free for about three months. Scars are finally beginning to fade. I'm finally not facing that - "oh God, is this the start of a cyst?" trauma every month. I can plan my days without worry of my skin cycle. I am thrilled!"

lbglow January 14, 2014

For Acne: "I am a 32 year old female who has suffered from mild acne for my whole life. As an adult I was able to keep it clear on my face, but my back was a different story. I would not wear bathing suits or backless shirts or cute sun dresses because of my backacne. I have been to many different doctors and dermatologistss that have prescribed all different meds and tropical creams. Nothing worked. I searched the internet on my own and called my doctor and asked if I could be put on spirolactone and Retin A. I was completely clear like completely around the 3rd month. I have been on it for a year and ran out not to long ago and sure enough I'm getting the dreadful zits back. I am so thankful I found this."

Jess32 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 2, 2014

For Acne: "I have been taking Spiro for about 5 1/2 months and am only now seeing and experiencing results-- so be patient! I started out on a 25mg dosage twice a day, moved up to 50mg after 3 months and just recently increased to 100mg. Do not be discouraged by the initial outbreaks. I pair it with Differin, which is a topical cream that helps with scarring but my face has finally started becoming incredibly clear for the first time ever. The side effects that I've experienced got more dramatic as I increased the dosage but were never severe enough to quit: Irregular period (sometimes twice a month, sometimes not at all, but will regulate itself after a while), Shortness of breath when exercising, and I have lost about 6 pounds in the last 2 months."

emmar6 December 10, 2013

For Acne: "I have been on this three month and one week. Boy am I frustrated. I am on 100mgs a day. I thought things were getting better yet here I am with cysts pimples and red marks. I'm also on Solodyn for almost 2 months and using Tazorac and I picked up benzoyl peroxide spot treatment. I just want to feel normal and pretty and not have huge painful ones just pop up on my neck and jaw line. Even when they go away I'm left with red marks. I've begged my Dermatologist to raise my spironolactone but he won't. I'm so confused on what to do. And I just thought I'd have better skin by now. Without make up all I want to do is hide and cry. And the pain from the big ones. I am 26 with a four year old and should be enjoying life and instead I feel depressed and defeated."

Kirstie 26 years old December 8, 2013

For Acne: "Update from 8/26/13 My 16 yr old has been on spironolactone for under 3 months. Bye- bye concealer and make up. Skin is now clear on face and having to wear make up is now an option verses a must. THANK GOD self esteem is back. She went off pill she had side effects. So far side effects from spironolactone are small. She is more tired than usual. Also has 2 periods a month. Dr said it should stabilize in next few months. Her skin is truly clear. Not just sort of but clear. Let it work and be patient. Can take 4 to 6 months to work."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 26, 2013

For Alopecia: "I am 19 years old and have female androgenetic alopecia, at an alarmingly high stage at that. This had a HORRIBLE initial shed but it has stopped shedding and now I have less hair falling out. I don't see any regrowth though and am using minoxidil every other day so maybe if I used it regularly I'd be fine. Minoxidil is causing me to grow lots of facial hair though (5% concentration) and the spironolactone is supposed to fix hirsutism but the minoxidil is more dominating in the facial hair aspect... not giving up though because keeping hair on my head is more important than having a hairy face. I can just wax/thread facial hair."

SidQid (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2013

For Alopecia: "I've been taking spironolactone 50mg for 6 months, my skin cleared up dramatically almost perfectly. It's not greasy anymore. My hair feels softer but is still coming out a little, although it does feel much healthier I don't see any amazing regrowth. I've decided to up the dose to 100mg because it doesn't hurt anymore. It was a real curve coming from 25 to 50. It hurt whenever I jumped right into 100mg when I first started. I don't pee that much either even now on 100mg, I think my body has a tolerance for it. Nothing hurts really but my stomach (not belly, but stomach right below the heart) that went away in time, the pain was more of a depleted feeling than a painful feeling. I had a little brain fog in the beginning, not anymore."

jubatron (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 22, 2013

For Acne: "My doctor prescribed spironolactone (50 mg per day). It seemed to work rather quickly and I was thrilled. However, I have gained 11 lbs. in one month, my hair seems to be thinning, always tired, double cycle in one month! So I have stopped as of 3 weeks ago, now my face is breaking out again, but I have lost 9 lbs and seem to have more energy. I am so frustrated! I am 45 and should not have to deal with this cystic acne."

Jewelgirl222 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2013

For Acne: "I had never had a problem with acne until about one year ago, after giving birth to my daughter. I started to break out and it gradually got worse. I felt like I couldn't leave the house without makeup and I wanted to stay home whenever I had a bad breakout. It was starting to take over my life. I had tried some topical treatments prescribed by a dermatologist, but I was limited in what I could take as I was still breastfeeding. After weaning my daughter about 6 weeks ago, I started taking spironolactone. My skin is looking better and better and my confidence is starting to return. I did not have an initial breakout at all, which I had been worried about after reading other reviews. It has been great."

123Nic (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2013

For Acne: "BEAUTIFUL skin, but I experienced a 10 lb. weight gain that would not come off with diet and exercise! Ugh! Especially in the stomach and thigh area. I stopped taking it 7 days ago..."

Jan% November 7, 2013