User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism 5 reviews 1 medications

4.7
Summary of Spironolactone reviews 103 reviews 8.0

Reviews for Spironolactone

Review by NeesaKj (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Acne: Great! Works wonders for oily skin and hormonal acne. A bonus is that it helped make me 10lbs lighter.

September 11, 2012 11:03 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

spironolactone for Acne: I'm currently in my 6th week of this medication and couldn't be more pleased. For the first time since puberty I have skin that isn't excessively oily. This in itself is a miracle and my skin & scalp look fresh. I'm 28 and have experienced severe cystic acne for over 12 years and no combination of OTC &/or prescribed treatments have ever worked for me. I can't believe I wasn't prescribed this sooner. I'm still in shock that something is actually working to clear my skin. If you have hormonal acne please try this - you won't be sorry.

September 10, 2012 11:53 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

spironolactone for Hirsutism: I have been using this medicine for about 1 month my doctor gave it to me for excessive facial hair. Since I have been taking it. I have noticed the hair grows slower and is lighter and not as course as before but be patient it takes a little while to see results and I believe it will get better with continued use. I did not experience ill side effects with it, in fact I also suffer from adult acne & have tried everything I could find to treat and nothing worked, but I have had no new breakouts after a month and I am just thrilled with the results I am getting. I would recommend it to anyone with facial hair problems!

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 18, 2012 1:51 PM
Review by happy:) (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

spironolactone for Acne: I have been seeing my dermatologist for 3 years and I have tried every common antibiotic and topical cream to no avail. I have been on spironolactone (in conjunction with Benzaclin gel, Cetaphil wash twice a day and tetracycline, which I have been on for a year and a half) for the past month and it has been a God-send. I recently turned 20 and my acne had never been worse. It changed from pustules to cystic nodules that would take weeks to fight back and hours spent crying in front of the mirror. I would refuse to leave the house and my boyfriend and mother became increasingly concerned. Since beginning this medicine my skin has cleared and I couldn't be happier! I would definitely recommend this medicine.

July 9, 2012 11:05 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

spironolactone for Acne: Only used it for 2 weeks and people are already like..WOW...its crazy how much better your skin looks. I know I wont see the full effects for another few months, but I have noticed that my face is not nearly as oily. It's more normal now, before by the end of the day I used to be able to use 5 of those clean and clear oil absorbing sheets! My redness is gone down a lot too, my acne was crazy. No all over cystic but it looked like a rash, but wasn't rosacea. And now its getting better! Yay! I am excited.

June 4, 2012 4:57 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

spironolactone for Acne: I've only been on it for 2 weeks but I have already noticed a HUGE reduction of oil on my face, and my it completely cleared my back. I'm only 19 years old but I have hormonal acne and I'm starting to see a difference on my face, not a big difference but I've only been on the pill for 2 weeks, so far so good. Can't wait to see the end result.

March 27, 2012 7:11 PM
Review by fransiska: User Rating:

spironolactone for Hypokalemia: It does help me getting back my life. I used to get paralysed because of low level of potassium in my blood. The doctor then told me to consume coconut water for a week and spironolactone 100mg per day. Now I can say I'm pretty well. My high blood pressure is under control too. I think it's great. The doctor told me not to get pregnant as he wasn't sure about the side effect to pregnancy. To me, it's OK.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 25, 2012 8:03 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Heart Failure: Didn't work for me. Muscle aches, itch and most importantly it dropped my blood pressure too low along with the other medication I am taking..pressure was 87/54 ...normally I am 130/70. I was exhausted, tired, weak and constantly falling asleep. This medication was not for me. Called doctor he told me to stop taking it, and this was at 1/2 pill dosage.

March 24, 2012 9:56 PM

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Acne: I've been taking this medicine for about six months for acne, and it has done wonders for me. I saw full results after about 4 months. Other than frequently having to go to the bathroom (it's a diuretic), I've experienced no side effects. My skin is flawless, and all the insecurities I had about my skin--being anxious around the time of my period in anticipation of a breakout, not wanting to leave the house without makeup--are GONE. I've been on Accutane four or five times, and while my skin always did really well for the few months I was on it, sometime afterward I'd begin to get regular breakouts. Aldactone gives me predictably clear skin, I can take it indefinitely, AND it's cheap. If you have hormonal acne, please give this a shot!

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 21, 2012 2:11 AM

spironolactone for Acne: I have very cystic hormonal acne. I tried everything. I was prescribed spirolactone along with Acanya and these two have been the best combination ever. I noticed improvements within the first 2 weeks. I love it! I would rate it 9/10. I have also tried Atralin, works well too with Acanya.

February 18, 2012 4:44 AM
Review by samiha: User Rating:

spironolactone for Alopecia: I've been on this medication for 4 months no. I started noticing a dramatical change in my facial hair, it's all gone by 90%, for my hair loss I can say that I did see a big change but at least I'm not losing hair like I used to. It makes me urinate alot but its a normal thing. It all also helped me to lose weight. No side effect until now.

February 3, 2012 3:47 PM
Review by Happy in Maine: User Rating:

spironolactone for Acne: I have had acne since I was 13 (now 42) and though I have had clear periods within this time frame (after Accutane) it always ended up creeping back. I am a master at covering a pimple but was SO tired of a new pimple on the horizon! The dermatologist said "Accutane would not be my choice for you" and prescribed 100 mgs of Spironolactone. I am in my 9th week of medicine and WOW what a difference. My skin is clear, feels smooth, pores have shrunk and no more grease! Well worth the patience. Wish I had been prescribed this years ago!

December 29, 2011 5:36 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Aldactone (spironolactone) for High Blood Pressure: I took this medication for four years, all the while becoming less and less interested in sex and unable to achieve an erection. Having gone through 4 cardiologists not a one of them ever informed me that Aldactone is an anti-androgen which blocks muscle and bodily binding of testosterone necessary for it to take effect and also lowers production of testosterone itself. I had to happen upon it on my own. The day I found out is the day I stopped taking it. Giving a male a medicine which renders his testosterone ineffectual may be good for those undergoing a sex change but not for those who are not. There is another potassium sparing drug like Aldactone without the sexual side effects but it is more expensive.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 1, 2011 4:59 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

spironolactone for Acne: Spironolactone worked wonders on my cystic acne. Unfortunately it caused a non-stop period and I had to come off it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 29, 2011 7:02 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

spironolactone for Acne: I started out on a 25mg dosage and am now at a 75mg dosage. At first, spironolactone made the acne on my face, back, and chest much worse; but I stuck with it (because I was ready to do about anything to get rid of my acne), and my skin is almost completely clear now. Yes, it did take about 4 months to work, but it's totally worth it. For the first time in my life, I have no blackheads! I've been dealing with cystic acne since I was 16 and finally, at age 25, I've found something that controls it. The only side effect I noticed was that I got my period the day after starting spironolactone, but it's been normal since then. Highly recommended, but you have to stick with it through the tough times at the start.

November 18, 2011 10:03 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

spironolactone for Acne: I did notice clearing of my hormonal acne (jawline, neck, and chest) within 3 1/2 weeks, but I developed stomach cramping, diarrhea, sleeplessness, and occasional dizziness. This medicine wasn't the answer for me.

November 17, 2011 1:28 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

spironolactone for Acne: I've been on this for about 1 month and I've seen amazing results. I've tried everything under the sun, and not having health insurance it can make it tough to get something that works and that is cheap. For the past 4 years I've had insane acne, like I was just going through puberty! Happy that I've found something that works! I'm just annoyed I have to take pills everyday because of my face.

October 4, 2011 11:56 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

spironolactone for Acne: I started taking this after having missed four periods. I started taking this on Tuesday and by Thursday I started my period. The horrible cystic acne I was suffering from disappeared and the unwanted hair growth stopped and reversed course. The joint pain I see people commenting on may not be from this pill. Have your physician test your DHEA and prolactin levels through blood work as deficiencies in these areas can cause severe joint pain, fatigue, memory loss, decreased libido and hair loss.

July 8, 2011 12:59 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Edema: It has less side effects than other medications.

June 11, 2011 7:45 AM
Review by The Smiths: User Rating:

spironolactone for Acne: I was prescribed spironolactone from my dermatologist as I was getting acne along with, black hairs on my chin and water retention. (75mg) - I noticed a difference after about a month - 2 months in and my skin hasn't looked this good in about 5 years. My acne was on my forehead, chest and back. I have added in a Benzoyl Peroxide body wash, twice a day as well. I was also advised to up my Vitamin A for about 3 months as it can be toxic - all these together have worked wonders. I have had NO side effects at all. Watch your potassium and salt in take and don't take ibuprofen either. I printed out a list of potassium high foods and you will be surprised how many there are. That's the reason why I haven't given this a 10. Good luck!

May 31, 2011 9:04 PM
Review by OC Gal: User Rating:

spironolactone for Acne: I was given this medication by a dermatologist assistant, and started with the low dose of 50mg. I was a bit "dried out", had to urinate more and was drinking more water. I didn't see much difference in my acne until she increased the dosage to 100mg but then I saw a major improvement. The draw back is that I am 44 years old, and my periods were getting heavier, a longer duration, and started every other week. I had some depression spells where I would cry over something very minor. I feel this medication is great for the acne sufferer who has had the same stubborn big deep blemishes for a long time, but for a hormonal person such as myself pushing menopause, it isn't ideal unfortunately.

May 18, 2011 7:46 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Aldactone (spironolactone) for High Blood Pressure: This medicine did lower my blood pressure but after being on it for about 2 months, I began to have trouble urinating. At first I thought I was getting a bladder infection but the symptoms would come and go. Mainly occurring right after I took the pill. I decided to stop taking it for a while to see if the symptoms went away and they did. I also had swelling of my hands and I gained 5 pounds.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 7, 2011 8:35 PM
Review by chula03: User Rating:

spironolactone for Alopecia: I had been experiencing hair loss for about 2 years. I finally decided to do some research and found out about spironolactone. Spironolactone slows down the hair loss but does not help hair regrowth. I decided to try it out and went to a dermatologist to have this medicine prescribed to me. The doctors started me off with a 50mg once a day. But during my research I found out that the effective dosage would be 200 mg a day (divided). So, I decided to do 200 mg a day. I am happy to say that my hair loss has completely stopped after two weeks of taking this medicine at 200 mg a day. I am also using Rogaine 5% twice a day. My problem is that I can not find a dermatologist that will prescribe me a stronger dosage.

March 24, 2011 12:12 PM
Review by Juliemay4747: User Rating:

spironolactone for Acne: I think this medicine is amazing. I have always struggled with acne and have tried everything to get rid of it. I refused to take Accutane due to it's side effects and drying of the skin. Also I knew my acne was a hormonal issue so I didn't want something that was just going to dry out my skin and come right back, plus very dry skin will make you age quicker. With my acne I would get acne scars that would last for two to three years. My acne is cured 100%, I'm now using 20% vitamin C serum, SPF 70, Hydroquinone 4%, Antioxidant serum, and hyloranic acid serum, and a emollient moisturizer to help the hyperpigmentation from my acne scars. I can use all of this on my face without breaking out now. Whoo HOO!

February 2, 2011 5:45 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Alopecia: It has help me to grow hair back on my head and assist in breast growth

January 14, 2011 1:19 AM