User Reviews for Spironolactone

Also known as: Aldactone

Learn more about Spironolactone.

Primary Hyperaldosteronism 5 reviews 1 medications

4.7
Summary of Spironolactone reviews 139 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Spironolactone

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: Update from 8/26/13 My 16 yr old has been on spironolactone for under 3 months. Bye- bye concealer and make up. Skin is now clear on face and having to wear make up is now an option verses a must. THANK GOD self esteem is back. She went off pill she had side effects. So far side effects from spironolactone are small. She is more tired than usual. Also has 2 periods a month. Dr said it should stabilize in next few months. Her skin is truly clear. Not just sort of but clear. Let it work and be patient. Can take 4 to 6 months to work.

November 26, 2013 3:44 PM

Review by SidQid (taken for less than 1 month):

For Alopecia: I am 19 years old and have female androgenetic alopecia, at an alarmingly high stage at that. This had a HORRIBLE initial shed but it has stopped shedding and now I have less hair falling out. I don't see any regrowth though and am using minoxidil every other day so maybe if I used it regularly I'd be fine. Minoxidil is causing me to grow lots of facial hair though (5% concentration) and the spironolactone is supposed to fix hirsutism but the minoxidil is more dominating in the facial hair aspect... not giving up though because keeping hair on my head is more important than having a hairy face. I can just wax/thread facial hair.

November 26, 2013 5:20 AM

Review by jubatron (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Alopecia: I've been taking spironolactone 50mg for 6 months, my skin cleared up dramatically almost perfectly. It's not greasy anymore. My hair feels softer but is still coming out a little, although it does feel much healthier I don't see any amazing regrowth. I've decided to up the dose to 100mg because it doesn't hurt anymore. It was a real curve coming from 25 to 50. It hurt whenever I jumped right into 100mg when I first started. I don't pee that much either even now on 100mg, I think my body has a tolerance for it. Nothing hurts really but my stomach (not belly, but stomach right below the heart) that went away in time, the pain was more of a depleted feeling than a painful feeling. I had a little brain fog in the beginning, not anymore.

November 22, 2013 2:00 PM

Review by Jewelgirl222 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: My doctor prescribed spironolactone (50 mg per day). It seemed to work rather quickly and I was thrilled. However, I have gained 11 lbs. in one month, my hair seems to be thinning, always tired, double cycle in one month! So I have stopped as of 3 weeks ago, now my face is breaking out again, but I have lost 9 lbs and seem to have more energy. I am so frustrated! I am 45 and should not have to deal with this cystic acne.

November 19, 2013 4:43 PM

Review by 123Nic (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I had never had a problem with acne until about one year ago, after giving birth to my daughter. I started to break out and it gradually got worse. I felt like I couldn't leave the house without makeup and I wanted to stay home whenever I had a bad breakout. It was starting to take over my life. I had tried some topical treatments prescribed by a dermatologist, but I was limited in what I could take as I was still breastfeeding. After weaning my daughter about 6 weeks ago, I started taking spironolactone. My skin is looking better and better and my confidence is starting to return. I did not have an initial breakout at all, which I had been worried about after reading other reviews. It has been great.

November 12, 2013 10:56 PM

Review by Jan%:

For Acne: BEAUTIFUL skin, but I experienced a 10 lb. weight gain that would not come off with diet and exercise! Ugh! Especially in the stomach and thigh area. I stopped taking it 7 days ago...

November 7, 2013 5:16 PM

Review by thatdoghunts (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Acne: Love this stuff. Miraculous. I am 50 yeas old and have suffered with cystic acne since age 36. Nothing helped, and it left my once nice skin discoloredand scarred. I saw "the best" dermatologists in Dallas, Los Angles and New York, spent a fortune and nothing helped. Finally, I met a dermatologist from a small town completely by chance and he urged me to try spironolactone. Within one month my skin was clear and still is. One caveat: when I first started taking, I was dizzy and nauseated, so I stopped taking it. The doctor told me to try again with half the dosage, and it worked like a charm.

November 5, 2013 10:55 AM

Review by AnonymousNYC (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Acne: When I was a teenager I had *mild* cystic acne---mild meaning I would only get one or two cysts a month, but the ones I did get were huge, red, painful, ugly, and often left a scar. Years later, approaching the age of 30 and having exhausted every treatment under the sun, it was not getting any better. My dermatologist suggested Spironolactone (100mg/day)... My skin got worse for the first few weeks, almost like my body was expelling everything... but I stuck with it and it's been a MIRACLE!! My skin is smooth and acne-free. The only side effect is I'm groggy for a few hours so I take it at night. Don't give up on it if things get worse initially, it is a hormonal treatment and might take a while for your body to adjust. I LOVE it!!

October 31, 2013 10:32 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I started taking this medication about four months ago combined with minocycline for my hormonal cystic acne. The first month I saw no improvement in my skin and abnormally lost 5 pounds. Now three months later my skin is finally completely clear but I'm facing a new problem: the medicine has caused me to gain 10 pounds in my thighs, butt, tummy, and breasts and has given me a yeast infection that has been on and off (mainly on) for the last four months.

October 3, 2013 12:42 PM

Review by AnonymGermany:

For Acne: I am a physician and tried really everything on my acne, which last now for 24 years. It started during puberty and has been hormonal since then. I have been once put on anti-androgen medication, which was quiet bad considering me being a very young women. But since than nothing helped. Spironolactone was well known to me as diuretic, but not as acne medication (off-label use). But I gave it a try, was quiet concerned about the potassium retention, but what do I have to say: Acne almost gone, no water retention before my menstrual bleeding (gained always about 2-3 kg) and something I would not have thought: no further cramps in my legs, which sometimes woke me up at night. I am very happy about taking Spironolactone.

October 1, 2013 9:07 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I have been using spirolactone for the past week and I am having crazy side effects such as dizziness, headaches, peeing too much and tummy upset. Wondering whether to still go on using it but I at least don't have any pimples popping up.

September 18, 2013 5:02 PM

Review by Researching for answer (taken for less than 1 month):

For Acne: I have a 16 year old daughter that just started struggling with acne over the last year. She is an elite athlete and I have watched her confidence diminish greatly. We have tried homeopathic treatments, over the counter, prescription topicals and antibiotics with no results only her acne getting worse. We decided to give birth control pills a shot. She has been on them 2 months no change yet. We just added spironolactone into the mix and in 8 days I have seen her skin change. Her acne is already better. Now it's not clear but can see the change happening. A study of birth control pills and spironolactone for hormonal acne 85% of women have a clearing of acne. Think she started to clear fast because she was already on Birth control pills for 2 months.

August 26, 2013 3:49 PM

Review by registered nurse,mom two twins (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Primary Hyperaldosteronism: I had a bleed in my brain a year ago from hypertension we did not know I had. I was on 5 different blood pressure medicines and could get my blood pressure no lower then 148/88. We checked for hyperaldosterone, which I was found to have. I started on Aldactone 25mg and saw my lower legs, stomach and even face swelling go down. My BP is 120/70 and lower. We take it daily with a hospital device. I also take Lasix three times a week. I am female 59 yrs old.

August 26, 2013 2:45 PM

For Acne: I'm 30 years old. I started having really bad skin about 2 years ago from maybe stress in my life. But, I tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it and it just got worse. I finally went to a dermatologist and she put me on spironolactone. My skin started getting better in about two weeks. I LOVED it. I've been taking it for about 6 months and I get compliments from Makeup artist and models (I'm a hairstylist) about how good my skin is. Another plus for me is my breasts went from a small B to a C! I decided to stop taking it for a week and my breasts went small again and my skin is getting a little oily. So I'm going back on. I only take one a day.

August 21, 2013 10:24 PM

Review by Sweeeeet:

For Acne: Does somebody experiences itching? I feel awful after taking Spironolactone once a day. My period came after 2 weeks, my breast is sore and I cannot sleep.

August 9, 2013 1:21 AM

Review by listentosts9:

For Acne: On my 8th day of using spironolactone 50 mg twice a day and every day my skin looks better. After numerous visits to the dermatologist, prescribing me different antibiotics and topicals I went to my real doctor and she told me it's got to be hormonal. I haven't had any cystic acne since I started this and I would at least get one or two a week. The doc also put me on Clindamycin Phosphate which I think is helping clear me up. ONLY 8 days in too! Hope I'm not speaking too soon.

August 8, 2013 12:38 PM

Review by Anonymous1262 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: GIVE THIS MEDICATION TIME TO WORK. I have been suffering with acne since I was 12 years old, and I am 39 now. I started spironolactone 8 weeks ago. I would say that the bumpiness in my skin improved within the first week. But the breakout during the 2nd week and the residual mess during week 3 had me wearing turtlenecks. But after that, I saw nothing but improvement. Less and less acne, skin smoothing out, less oiliness. Now I am about 95% clear and I only expect it to get even better!

August 5, 2013 3:16 PM

Review by Lanawinters:

For Acne: I started taking spironolactone 3 weeks ago (50 mg 2/day, so 100 mg dose) and my acne is the worst it has EVER been. I get cystic acne on my chin but the rest of my face is usually okay. As of last week I broke out in SO many cystic pimples on my chin, along my jawline, on my cheeks, even some by my nose. My acne hasn't been this bad in a while. From everything I've read about this medicine, it seems I am in the initial breakout period that only some people experience. This is very difficult to deal with but I am going to wait it out for at least 6 months. Also, my period is always irregular, sometimes I don't get it for 9 months. But since taking this medicine I have already had my period twice.

July 26, 2013 9:21 PM

Review by Anonymous7657:

For Acne: I have had acne since I was 11 years old. It is mild and only on my face, but it has always been very, very stubborn. I went on rounds of minocycline with very little relief. When I went on birth control, the acne cleared about 70% and all that was left were stubborn breakouts on my chin and around my jawline. I didn't want to start college with poor skin, so I went to a new dermatologist who told me the acne was hormonal and started me on Spironolactone (50 mg/day) and Differin (a topical). I experienced the initial break out. I developed new pimples for about two days but then called my Dr. and got Doxycycline (200mg/day). All in all, it lasted about a week. 3 wks in, my skin is BEAUTIFUL. It glows and is so soft. Ask your doctor!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2013 9:10 AM

Review by Mrs. Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Aldactone (spironolactone) for Acne: I began this Aldactone 50mg. 2 weeks ago. 8 days later I had a Cyst rupture on my Ovary. (I had a partial Hysterectomy 6mths ago). Not certain if the medicines were a part that will have to wait to be seen. I immediately felt the oil dry and the cyst go away. One of the best is I feel like the redness is gone as well. I love that since 7th grade till my 38th year, years of Accutane a million times, odd antibiotics, birth control, topicals and I FINALLY FEEL FREE of my ugly red skin.

July 3, 2013 8:49 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: On my fourth week of taking 50 mg of Spironolactone. Was put on this medication for cystic acne. Improvements I've noticed are definitely less oil and blackheads have cleared up, however I am still battling cystic acne around my chin/mouth and occasional pimples on my forehead. I am thirsty quite a lot and subsequently pee a lot too, but have not noticed any weight gain! Skin on my cheeks have been very dry. Fighting both cystic acne and cracked skin is a hassle. I'm hoping by next month I will see improvements in my cystic acne and not continue to worsen.

June 9, 2013 12:26 AM

Review by cecilenice (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I have gained about 6 or 7 pounds (i.e. half a stone or 3 kilos) in total. My reflection in the mirror is fine but my clothes have become too tight, I feel very uncomfortable in them and in fact, I feel uncomfortable in my own skin. Somehow, I just feel inflated. The weight gain is really around the waist, the bottom and the thighs (and the bust, the one area I am not complaining about). I did a quick search on the internet and quick enough I found a number of forums discussing weight gain with spiro (in the exact same areas). Weight is a sensitive issue for me because I did struggle a bit with it in my teens/early twenties.

May 10, 2013 11:41 AM

Review by peter Dumai. (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For High Blood Pressure: I have had high blood pressure for 4 years (now age 69) my doctor prescribed spironolactone as part of my treatment take one 25 MG tablet every day in the morning. to reduce body salt and retain potassium. I was not advised of the side effects such as lack of sexual drive. I have to urinate about 6 times per day (twice overnight) which is a minor problem, difficult getting to sleep, avoid taking sleeping pills, get light headed and dizzy spells at times have to take time when rising from the sitting position. Do not have any of the other side effects as described in the literature. With other medicines my blood pressure is under control.

May 5, 2013 9:27 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Gender Dysphoria: After switching from cyproterone acetate to spironolactone, I found that apart from increased urination, it works almost as well to decrease androgen levels. It does what it is supposed to, and for that, I'm very happy!

April 18, 2013 4:52 PM

Review by Frustrated 43 old (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Acne: I never had acne issues when I was a teenager, but I'm 43 now and I'm having hormonal acne on my chin and behind my ears along the hairline. I was prescribed Spironolactone because I was taking Minocycline and my doc wanted me to get me off it because of the side effects. Well now my acne has gotten worse after taking Spironolactone for 2 months. I've read a lot reviews were people have stated its taken about 4 months before they saw any improvement. I'm hoping that will happen for me! Just curious if anyone my age is going through the same thing as I am? The bright side is my insurance covers this medication, so I haven't had to pay a penny for it since I started using it.

April 16, 2013 11:57 PM