User Reviews for Flecainide

Also known as: Tambocor

Learn more about Flecainide.

Flecainide review summary

8.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 55 medications used in the treatment of Atrial Fibrillation.

Reviews for Flecainide to treat Atrial Fibrillation

Review by csong:

On occasions taking Flecainide triggers my atrial fibrillation. It's quite immediate, about 1-2 minutes after taking the medicine. It doesn't happen all the time. Sometimes I just wonder if I should stop taking it.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2014 12:33 PM

Review by rozebot (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am a 58 year old female who had two afib episodes in a 6 week period that did not stop until I was converted back to sinus rhythm in the ER. I had been on Metoprolol for two years but after the second afib incident, I was also put on 50mg of Flecainide two times a day. I have had no side effects except a lower heart rate, therefore my Metoprolol dosage had to be adjusted down to 25 mg. a day from 50.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 20, 2014 12:12 PM

Review by AshfordB:

My pac's started up about 10 years ago and 18 months ago I developed Atrial-flutter and Atrial-fibrillation. I had an ablation for flutter but still had A-fibrilation. This medicine scared the heck out of me after reading about it online. I decided to trust my EP and give it a shot. It's been 3 months since I started and no A-fibrillation. My Pac's have nearly gone away as well. I used to get 500 skips in a day but now I only feel one or two total during the course of a week. I feel great and hope it keeps working. After I started taking Flecainide, I did have about 10-14 days of mild side effects (tired, headache, indigestion-bloating) but feel completely normal now. I have much more energy and psychologically I am very upbeat. My heard beats normally now, it's awesome!

September 24, 2014 9:50 PM

Review by Jimt1122:

I've been dealing with atrial fibrillation for about a year and a half now and it stinks. I've had the surgery where they go in and sap the connection in your heart but it didn't fix it. Helped a little but I'm struggling getting some atrial fibrillation symptoms so my Dr put me on flecainide first 50mg 2 times a day than a 100 MG twice a day. A 100 mg worked for awhile(3 mths) but now around an hour or two before my 2nd dose of the day I start having symptoms, very sad don't know what to do. Medicine does seem to work for the most part.

August 29, 2014 3:08 PM

Review by Allaflutter (taken for less than 1 month):

I have been experiencing increasing episodes of atrial fibrillation over the past 8 months, going from one or two "blips" a day to recently probably 70% of the time! Not debilitating, but annoying. Doc put me on two 50 mg flecainide per day. I started yesterday, and so far so good. Not a single episode and so far no noticeable side effects, but then today is my first real "day" on the medicine. I resist taking anything for systemic problems like this, but if it can have this dramatic of positive effect with no side effects, I'm all for it.

July 9, 2014 11:54 AM

Review by Moneybags:

I had an episode of atrial fibrillation once in 1979, once in 1999 and once in 2009. A cardiologist then said I was to take Flecainide if I had another episode. I woke up one night in 2011 with atrial fibrillation so I waited one hour as instructed and then took two Flecainide tablets, The fibrillation stopped an hour after I took the tablets.There were no side effects. Another cardiologist has recommended that I take Flecainide and the blood thinner Pradaxa next time atrial fibrillation occurs.

June 22, 2014 8:10 PM

Review by LA2:

Flecainide caused increased incidents of atrial fibrillation. Each time I visited the doctor with increased incidents, he would increase the dosage until I finally figured out that the flecainide was the cause. Stopped taking the medicine and the incidents decreased.

June 9, 2014 3:27 PM

Review by valman (taken for 1 to 2 years):

36 yr old male; Athlete; Lone atrial fibrillation; year and a half on Felcainide. The medicine works but episodes of Atrial fibrillation still occur just not as bad and not as often. Because I'm an athlete my A-fib episodes occur more about 2-3 time a month, sometimes just once a month. Some last a few hrs but some last up to 24 hrs or more. I still exercise but not when I'm in A-fib cause it causes shortness of breath. Note: my episodes don't really feel like I'm at a 180 bpm at rest. They just feel like I'm out of rhythm at a normal rate but of course this is me checking my pulse without a EKG.

January 10, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by Mick N:

I have Lone Paroxysmal Atrial Fibrillation, and was having monthly 12 hour episodes very symptomatic, shortness of breath pounding in my chest, fatigued but all self terminating. I went on 50mg twice per day flecainide in February 2012, which kept the thing at bay for 6 months, but in August 2012 had a 12 hour episode, my dose was then upped to 50mg 3 times per day which I space in equal doses throughout the day so as not to get flecainide highs and lows in my bloodstream and so far have been 13 months free of the dreaded thing, oh yes I also take 2.5mg of bisoprolol fumarate once per day and 75mg dispersable aspirin once per day. So as far as I am concerned its a wonder pill. Before this I was getting more and more depressed with the episodes.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2013 9:57 AM

Review by Beth H.:

This medicine works in 20 minutes for me. Too bad more doctors aren't familiar with it. Even some of my own cardiologists never prescribed it; took 15 years of lone atrial fibrillation and one savvy old cardio doctor in the ER one night to make life easier. Now I don't leave home without it.

July 27, 2013 6:55 PM

Review by Robyn8 (taken for less than 1 month):

I've suffered with Atrial Fibrillation off and on since 2004. Today was the first time I have tired Flecainide. It took 1 1/2 hours to work. I didn't have any side effects other then feeling a little tired. I seem to get atrial fibrillation every other year when I drink or eat something really cold. This episode was brought on by a cold glass of milk. I was in A Fib for 8 days, next time I'll take a Flecainide. I am not a pill taker and I refuse to take these on a day to day. It will only be as needed.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2013 1:38 AM

Review by Ken Best (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am 55 male, my Atrial Fibrillation was getting worse, then on Oct 2012, I did not feel very well, so walked to the ER to have them take a look. Well, they said my heart rate was 170 and irregular, so they kept me there for 2 days, giving me medicine to slow it down. Then discharged with Diltiazem once a day. After 2 months, doc said let's try to fix the rhythm with cardioversion, so he gave me blood thinner for a month, and Flecainide 2 days before the cardioversion. On the day I was supposed to be cardioverted, my heart was back to sinus rhythm due to Flecainide. So doc told me to stay with Flecainide 100mg twice a day. Been 2 months now, feeling good, always in sinus. Tomorrow going to see doc and ask him if I can go with 50mg twice daily, or entirely off.

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2013 7:32 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Tambocor (flecainide): I used it for 6 years. After 3 years I started having peripheral vision problems of tiny white moving spots. I assumed it was an eye problem, but my ophthalmologists didn't see a reason. It is a side effect of this medicine.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 31, 2012 1:16 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Started taking Flecainide in 2008. Doctor suggested 100mg twice a day to control Atrial Fibrillation. I asked if I could take 1/2 a pill twice a day (50mg x 2). Even though he said it wouldn't be enough, I wanted to try the lower dose. My theory was that if I have to take a medicine, the least amount that would serve the purpose would be preferred. He agreed to let me try the lower dose. The only time I've had atrial fibrillation since is when I forgot to take the medicines. Four years on Flecainide, so far so good, with no noticeable side effects.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 19, 2012 2:32 AM

Review by Swimmerman (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Completely eradicated vagotinic atrial fibrillation. No side effects. I am a healthy, athletic, active male who has been diagnosed with lone vagotinic AF. I initially tried the "pill in the pocket" approach. I was so good at predicting my occurrences, I coordinated with my Doctor to use as prophylactic medication. I still have occasional PVC's, but they are less frequent. So far a smashing success. Key point: talk with a cardiologist before embarking an any treatment!

May 20, 2012 10:52 PM

Review by BC20:

Have had AF since very young. In 2003 episodes began to occur almost daily. Was given Flecainide and after 6 weeks I was a different person - I had forgotten what it was like to go each day without even a skipped beat. I even exercised daily, quite hard too with no problems. Unfortunately, after 6 years, I started experiencing "side-effects". I was actually suffering from a Broad Complex Arrhythmia brought on by Flecainide. I had to stop them and now on Bisoprolol. Am now awaiting a PVI ablation

April 18, 2012 7:36 AM

I started on Flecainide in 2009. Started with 50mg twice a day. Atrial fibrillation episodes continued but when I stepped it up to 100mg twice a day, episodes kept at bay. Only problem is when I forgot a dose, then episodes happen and real bad rhythms to boot. Got to be on time each day with dosage, or else not protected. No side effects at all!

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 6, 2012 12:04 AM

Suffered from AF every few months for a couple of years before going on Flecainide with Metoprolol. It has been three years and have only experienced two very short (less than 1/2 hour episodes) and the occasional flutter. Have also been able to reduce dosage of both medicines without any effect. Minimal side effects. Life it much better.

January 29, 2012 12:44 AM

I have been taking minimum dosage for about a year. Every day I have flutters/flopping about an hour before and after dosing. I have not had other side effects but cannot figure out if I am experiencing maximum efficacy. Fortunately, I don't have severe atrial fibrillation episodes.

January 6, 2012 10:06 PM

Review by DonnaP620:

I have been on Flecainide 50 mg 2 x day for 1 year now. I have been asymptomatic with only occasional infrequent episodes that may last for up to 1 minute. It beats a pacemaker!

December 15, 2011 7:22 PM

Review by Babsarellajoya:

5 episodes of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation in 3 years all resolved with iv flecainide in A&E. 6 more episodes in last last year all resolved within 3 hours at home by taking pill in pocket (i.e. 200 mg flecainide). Can't work out consistent trigger factor so avoid all known ones. Background treatment for hypertension with ramipril and beta blockers for rate control, but otherwise very fit and healthy 63 year old woman. Brilliant to be able to treat without hospital admission.

November 30, 2011 7:17 AM

Review by maggiesgd:

No room to here get into my history of AF and flutter, so will make it short. Because of serious AF episode resulting in hospitalization, my cardiologist increased the Tambocor to 100 mg twice a day (had been on 50 twice a day for 3 or so years). Always had dizziness, shortness of breath and feeling unstable since taking this medication. However since increasing to the 200 mg a day, side effects increased and are getting worse. Just experienced the flashing lights today for first time. My search of flecainide and flashing lights brought me to this site. Thank you! Will reduce dose again to 100mg a day until I can see cardiologist next Wednesday.

November 18, 2011 12:12 PM

Review by Poupon:

Tambocor (flecainide): Initially it worked, with minimal side effects. But after one year I have virtually ALL known side effects for this medicine, including severe fatigue and shortness of breath - or inability to get a full breath. I attributed these to mold in our soil, due to construction, and did not look at side effects, until my EP's total lack of concern made me wonder if he was hiding something. I am SHOCKED by what I now read, and have no idea what to do - obviously, reporting to my EP is NOT the answer. My GP says she knows nothing about cardiology.

November 15, 2011 1:51 PM

I was having regular episodes of atrial fibrillation. Often 2-3 per day, lasting from a few minutes to several hours. Started on 100mg flecainide twice a day. Episodes stopped, but suffered from muscle soreness and felt tired all the time. Doctor dropped the dosage to 50mg twice a day. Symptoms lessened and have not had an episode in 5 years.

October 10, 2011 6:43 PM

Review by Bagrat:

I have been taking flecainide 100mg twice a day for 8 months. Had two episodes of paroxysmal atrial fibrillation prior to this - cardioverted within 12 hours with the first and converted to normal rhythm while waiting for a cardioversion the second time. No episodes of atrial fibrillation since, though I think I may be getting occasional ectopics (probably had them before but more vigilant now). Feel fit and well but holiday insurance is higher than my husband's now!

October 5, 2011 5:36 AM