User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin Review Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 336 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Sinusitis

"After third dose I feel worse than before. Headache, diarrhea, bad taste in mouth, upset stomach, and weak. Two doses left of five day pack and can breathe a bit but other side effects are awful. Feel as unmedicated I felt better."

Billie212 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2015

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "re: side effects, I forgot to add to the comments I just submitted that while my stomach felt a little weird the morning after my first dose (this being 12 hours later) I was prepared to eat plenty of probiotics, which I have been doing. I have not had any problems; I am really pushing the yogurt and kefir. I did feel extraordinarily tired but not debilitated, and I was extremely fatigued from nearly 5 weeks of being sick, so the trade-off is meaningless, and it's improved after the first mega-dose anyway."

tiggerflute (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

"I was prescribed azrithromycin by my Dr for sinusitis. I have suffered from year-long allergies since I was a kid & this year has definitely been a bad one for me. I was a little worried about taking this medication because I read that some people got bad stomach upset with it. Luckily enough, the worst thing that happened to me was minor lower abdominal cramps, no worse than menstrual cramps. By the time I woke up the next day I was able to breathe clear for the first time literally in months. I did not feel congested, although I did have a very minor sore throat that I believe was caused by my sinuses finally draining. I definitely recommend taking this drug with food --it helps avoid stomach upset or cramps. Otherwise this helped me"

Kelsey G. June 19, 2015

"Did great job of treating a sinus infection, where I had pounding headaches all day for 48 hours prior to use. By day 2, I was significantly better. One issue is that two pills on day 1 did wipe out bacteria in the gut. I wish pharmacist gave me a heads up. In hindsight, I would have spaced first 2 pills out by at least 12 hours. Took one pill at 4pm and another at 8pm. By day 2 was fine, but I did need a probiotic and immodium to get through the first night."

NC Resident (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

"I got a sinus infection for the first time in my life and when it didn't go away I was given Augmentin - it barely helped. Went back to the ENT and he gave me cephalexin. Not much improvement. Then he gave me Cipro. I gave up. My quality of life was so much lower. I couldn't smell. I had to sleep elevated. I never imagined how bad a sinus infection was, especially chronic. Then a dentist gave me a Z pack on recommendation of a friend. Within days I was a new woman. I could smell! I could breath. I was so grateful."

Berynice (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2015

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "Sinusitis was so bad that my teeth even hurt. Now on day 2 of azithromycin, pain about 80% resolved. Absolutely no side effects. Have taken azithromycin in past for sinusitis and consistently note resolution prior to completion of 5 day pack."

old man rn March 21, 2015

"Had a severe sinus infection that was getting worse over a week and the Doc prescribed me a 5 day, 6 pill Z-pack of 250mg Azithromycin and 10mg Prednisone; 40mg for two days ,30mg for two days ,20mg for two days,10mg for two days and last 5mg for 3 days. So far this cocktail of drugs has made a vast improvement in only a few days! No known side affects at this time, had loose stool, very little appetite and very bad time sleeping before started taking both drugs. If i had to pick one that's most prominent I would say loose stool. If you tend to be gassy, where a diaper just in case."

Andy24682 February 24, 2015

"Have had a sinus infection for 11 months... tried all types of antibiotics and they would help a little but right back to same stuff. Major congestion, Hard phlegm, trouble breathing, etc. Took azithromycin day 1 was able to breathe thru nose again. loosened up all mucus. Day 2 felt like a new person."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2015

"My symptoms of sinusitis grew rapidily over 24 hours BEFORE taking this antibiotic. I started out with allergy symptoms, Only on my left side. 8 hours into it I had a pounding headache and my face and nose hurt really bad. I suffer from anxiety and had a bad experience last year while taking over the counter cold/allergy meds, so this year I was definitely not going to medicate myself up and decided to go to the doctor. my dr. visit was on the second day of being sick & I was full blown with what I thought had turned into a flu.Coughing was mild and mostly because i was dizzy so i felt nauseous and would cough. Chills,sweats,shakes,worst headache ever,nose and face hurt so bad. took 2 pills felt better in 5 hours"

Alli_was_sick (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2015

"I had chronic sinusitis and had balloon sinuplasty surgery to correct the problem. I had lost nasal drip which led to bronchitis which triggered asthma attacks. I could hardly breath until I took the azythromycin. Within a couple hours my airways were opening up and I was able to breath again. On my second day now and things just keep getting better. This medicine is taking out whatever bacteria is in my lungs. It was a real life saver for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2014

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I have had chronic sinusitis for the better part of 10 years now off and on. It really gets bad as spring changes over to summer as well as summer over to fall. I have taken several different antibiotics over the years and the sinusitis keeps coming back stronger the next year. So I just started the 7 day ZPak yesterday for the first time and just took the second days dosage. Much like most of the other reviews on this site, I am experiencing some minor diarrhea as well as flatulence. Which, in my opinion, can be a deadly combination for a new pair of white boxer briefs! I have not noticed any other side effect as of yet but again I am only on the second day. I will tell you that I am feeling much livelier right now and gained motivation"

Chronic Sinusitis (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2014

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Took away my ear infection but gave me. Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, heart palpitations, anxiety, shortness of breath, diarrhea, dizziness, etc... So not worth it. I was less sick before starting this medicine."

Steph3 August 6, 2014

"This is my first time taking a 6 pill pack. I have used regular azithromycin for sinus infections before with great results. This infection knocked me out. After being sick for a week I needed help. I started hallucinations because I couldn't breathe or sleep. So I gave in and went to the ER. I cleared up right after the first dose. By dose 3 I was breathing without wheezing. I'm going on day 4 and I can finally sleep. Ahhh sleep is great. I did get dizzy and there was a nasty taste in my mouth and I did have a few loose stools but all in all I would rather put up with those small side effects and be able to sleep."

BeckiStart May 26, 2014

"I had a tickle in my throat and very tired on day one. Then day 3 a dry hacking cough and then runny nose and congestion. Day 5 woke up to bad sinus headache and pressure but not getting better and worse cough. Day 7 I felt like death warmed over and couldn't take it anymore. Went to doctor and got 5 day Zpak and inhaler. Took day 1 dose and next morning felt much better and lot of the sinus pressure and headache were gone. By dose Day 4 much much better and only small cough now. "

no more siccko (taken for less than 1 month) April 17, 2014

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Many many sinus infections over the years. This knocks it out in 3 days compared to 10."

jenbro February 6, 2014

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"After 5 days of terrible dry hacking cough causing chest muscles to be sore and being unable to function, I went to the Dr. and he prescribed the Z Pak. On day 2 and I see results. It is loosening up all the congestion. I am finally a little better. I have a ways to go but I do see good results. When I talked to the pharmacist, he suggested eating something light before taking even though you can take on an empty stomach. He said some get upset stomach after taking so I took his advice and having no problems. I tried Mucinex before seeing the Dr. but got no results this time. Glad I went in for a checkup."

RoMaGo January 25, 2014

"Had a very sore throat, sinus and ears completely congested, lungs and back extremely sore with a gurgling sound in every breath and continuous coughing. Overall I felt very miserable. I'm very reluctant to go to a doctor but finally did. I was given the 5 day Z-pack. I noticed feeling a lot better even after the first dose. I wasn't expecting something to work so quickly. Now on the 3rd day and sort of leveled out. Not feeling better but I'm not miserable. Still congested in my lungs but I can breath freely. I hope this knocks it out by the 5th day."

Kumite4u January 23, 2014

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "Could be effective, not sure. Side effects from three day Pak; headache,nausea, anxiety, sore throat, chills, tired, a feeling of being very unwell."

yannick December 9, 2013

"This medication always helps me. This and regular penicillin. Every individual's different though."

dmct April 12, 2013

"I have had a severe sinus infection, ear infection and tooth infection for a little over a month. I've been to the doctor quite a few times and was prescribed penicillin the first time and amox-clav the second. I though it was clearing up but within a week it was back. So, back over to the doctor and was prescribed Z-pack. After the first dose I felt so much better! I'm hoping this will clear all of the infection."

N.Mosley (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2013

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I am one of the few that have not had a good experience. High anxiety because my heart won't slow down, bad headache, little nausea, and loose stool. I'm going tomorrow to get different antibiotics."

andreamarie2012 March 5, 2013

Zithromax (azithromycin): "After suffering from a cold for 8 days, I woke up with extreme pressure in my sinuses and couldn't hear due to my ears being clogged. I was prescribed the 3 day Zithromax and after one day felt sooo much better. The pressure went away and I had a slightly runny nose. One the second day I could breathe without using decongestants. I haven't had any side effects, but maybe a slight pang in my stomache when taking (I usually eat something right after taking). I'm usually resistant to going to the dr. but very glad I did this time."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) October 13, 2012

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"It is useful but I have headaches during usage."

meiy tttyihoop (taken for less than 1 month) July 30, 2012

"I'm on Day 4. My sinus infection is much better, but the diarrhea and upset stomach are bad. "

Anonymous January 17, 2012

"Although it is doing great for what it was prescribed for, I have awful side effects. I have been throwing up and been just very very nauseous all day."

Mandas September 26, 2011