User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin Rating Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 339 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Sinusitis

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "It worked however on the fifth day of taking it i had an Supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). Later found out there was a study out that confirmed hearth Rythym issues."

Anonymous February 2, 2016

"Extreme diarrhea first and second day Just getting started for 7 days"

punpkin (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Was told by a doctor who specialized in respiratory infections, because his main patients were miners, that I would suffer with chronic sinus infections the rest of my life and that a z-pak would work but to really wipe it out, I should use ceftin. So if z-pak does not work for anyone try the ceftin. I get z-pak normally because I can tolerate the azithromycin. A little stomach upset on the day after all meds are taken (6th day), but other than that, good results...usually takes 48 hours for me to feel better since I am older and have a weakened immune system, but on that third day, much much better."

Lucille 60 (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

Zithromax (azithromycin): "After trying other antibiotics. This was the only one that worked. The Doctor tried to tell me it would not work for Sinusitis. It is the only antibiotic that takes it away for me."

Pashon December 26, 2015

Zithromax (azithromycin): "It's a life saver for me. Chronic sinus problem that occurs twice a year. Slight stomach issues after initial dose. Knocks out brain fog. Had the best night sleep in months. Always take with food, and you will have no issues. Made me feel 90% better 24 hours after initial dosage. Use with Flonase to open passages to help get it all. Only thing that works for my sinus problems."

Pauly D. December 7, 2015

"I have taken this medicine many many times before and it has alway worked with no problems.I have had serious stomach issues this time around..slightly since day one..tonight is day 4 and I just experienced severe abdominal cramping and pain....loose stools (tmi)..so severe I though I would have to go to ER..started about 10 minutes after taking athe pill. .not on a empty stomach Iate about 1 hour prior...maybe just a freak think but very scary..a few hours went by and I'm starting to feel better...not sure if I will take last pill l tomorrow"

Rjff470 November 16, 2015

Zithromax (azithromycin): "This medication did help my issue but it has now caused me to bruise so easy. I can barely scratch my leg and a few minutes later, my leg looks like I had been hit. They are not the painful but they or tender."

Sassy1510 (taken for less than 1 month) November 15, 2015

"Was given this medication 7 days ago and still feel sick. Yesterday I took a shower and sinuses really started draining. I was so excited. Am also doing the sinus flush 4 times a day. Today I woke up with a headache and the chills. Took another shower with little drainage. Back to the Dr. on Monday as this should be working by now."

Gus121 (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2015

"On my 2nd package of 5 day Z pack, it is working but slow to act. This is a bad infection, it had been on and off for past 6 months. I will need another refill today or my Dr. may try another option. I can not take any cyllin drugs. This sinusitis is a chronic problem. I was experiencing this problem almost yearly every fall/winter then stopped for past 5 years. Now it is back with vengeance..."

BobRB52 (taken for less than 1 month) November 14, 2015

Zithromax (azithromycin): "The day one two pills does tend to wipe out the bacteria in my gut. After having stomach issues on the first night of the first time, I do take a probiotic and one immodium at night. First time I took this it wiped the infection in 48 hours. Second time 11 months later it did not work quite so well. Infection greatly decreased but did come back 5 days later. I think part of the problem was that I still had a virus and mold allergy problems from rain as well as an infection so had trouble eliminating congestion. I took a 5 day dosage and did have symptoms reoccur in a week. I do think it would have worked better if I had not had these additional issues related to a virus and allergies."

EricfromNC (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2015

"I suffer from chronic sinusitis. allergic to doxycycline. azithromycin is a life saver. its great."

Rick Ladd October 17, 2015

"Got this prescribed yesterday for my sinus infection I have, on day 2 of taking it and still do not feel any better although I was told it is a slow moving medicine. Throat hurts really bad and hurts to swallow, hopefully it will improve."

EJAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY October 15, 2015

"After third dose I feel worse than before. Headache, diarrhea, bad taste in mouth, upset stomach, and weak. Two doses left of five day pack and can breathe a bit but other side effects are awful. Feel as unmedicated I felt better."

Billie212 (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2015

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "re: side effects, I forgot to add to the comments I just submitted that while my stomach felt a little weird the morning after my first dose (this being 12 hours later) I was prepared to eat plenty of probiotics, which I have been doing. I have not had any problems; I am really pushing the yogurt and kefir. I did feel extraordinarily tired but not debilitated, and I was extremely fatigued from nearly 5 weeks of being sick, so the trade-off is meaningless, and it's improved after the first mega-dose anyway."

tiggerflute (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

"I was prescribed azrithromycin by my Dr for sinusitis. I have suffered from year-long allergies since I was a kid & this year has definitely been a bad one for me. I was a little worried about taking this medication because I read that some people got bad stomach upset with it. Luckily enough, the worst thing that happened to me was minor lower abdominal cramps, no worse than menstrual cramps. By the time I woke up the next day I was able to breathe clear for the first time literally in months. I did not feel congested, although I did have a very minor sore throat that I believe was caused by my sinuses finally draining. I definitely recommend taking this drug with food --it helps avoid stomach upset or cramps. Otherwise this helped me"

Kelsey G. June 19, 2015

"Did great job of treating a sinus infection, where I had pounding headaches all day for 48 hours prior to use. By day 2, I was significantly better. One issue is that two pills on day 1 did wipe out bacteria in the gut. I wish pharmacist gave me a heads up. In hindsight, I would have spaced first 2 pills out by at least 12 hours. Took one pill at 4pm and another at 8pm. By day 2 was fine, but I did need a probiotic and immodium to get through the first night."

NC Resident (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2015

"I got a sinus infection for the first time in my life and when it didn't go away I was given Augmentin - it barely helped. Went back to the ENT and he gave me cephalexin. Not much improvement. Then he gave me Cipro. I gave up. My quality of life was so much lower. I couldn't smell. I had to sleep elevated. I never imagined how bad a sinus infection was, especially chronic. Then a dentist gave me a Z pack on recommendation of a friend. Within days I was a new woman. I could smell! I could breath. I was so grateful."

Berynice (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2015

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): "Sinusitis was so bad that my teeth even hurt. Now on day 2 of azithromycin, pain about 80% resolved. Absolutely no side effects. Have taken azithromycin in past for sinusitis and consistently note resolution prior to completion of 5 day pack."

old man rn March 21, 2015

"Had a severe sinus infection that was getting worse over a week and the Doc prescribed me a 5 day, 6 pill Z-pack of 250mg Azithromycin and 10mg Prednisone; 40mg for two days ,30mg for two days ,20mg for two days,10mg for two days and last 5mg for 3 days. So far this cocktail of drugs has made a vast improvement in only a few days! No known side affects at this time, had loose stool, very little appetite and very bad time sleeping before started taking both drugs. If i had to pick one that's most prominent I would say loose stool. If you tend to be gassy, where a diaper just in case."

Andy24682 February 24, 2015

"Have had a sinus infection for 11 months... tried all types of antibiotics and they would help a little but right back to same stuff. Major congestion, Hard phlegm, trouble breathing, etc. Took azithromycin day 1 was able to breathe thru nose again. loosened up all mucus. Day 2 felt like a new person."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2015

"My symptoms of sinusitis grew rapidily over 24 hours BEFORE taking this antibiotic. I started out with allergy symptoms, Only on my left side. 8 hours into it I had a pounding headache and my face and nose hurt really bad. I suffer from anxiety and had a bad experience last year while taking over the counter cold/allergy meds, so this year I was definitely not going to medicate myself up and decided to go to the doctor. my dr. visit was on the second day of being sick & I was full blown with what I thought had turned into a flu.Coughing was mild and mostly because i was dizzy so i felt nauseous and would cough. Chills,sweats,shakes,worst headache ever,nose and face hurt so bad. took 2 pills felt better in 5 hours"

Alli_was_sick (taken for less than 1 month) January 21, 2015

"I had chronic sinusitis and had balloon sinuplasty surgery to correct the problem. I had lost nasal drip which led to bronchitis which triggered asthma attacks. I could hardly breath until I took the azythromycin. Within a couple hours my airways were opening up and I was able to breath again. On my second day now and things just keep getting better. This medicine is taking out whatever bacteria is in my lungs. It was a real life saver for me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2014

Zithromax (azithromycin): "I have had chronic sinusitis for the better part of 10 years now off and on. It really gets bad as spring changes over to summer as well as summer over to fall. I have taken several different antibiotics over the years and the sinusitis keeps coming back stronger the next year. So I just started the 7 day ZPak yesterday for the first time and just took the second days dosage. Much like most of the other reviews on this site, I am experiencing some minor diarrhea as well as flatulence. Which, in my opinion, can be a deadly combination for a new pair of white boxer briefs! I have not noticed any other side effect as of yet but again I am only on the second day. I will tell you that I am feeling much livelier right now and gained motivation"

Chronic Sinusitis (taken for less than 1 month) October 11, 2014

Zithromax (azithromycin): "Took away my ear infection but gave me. Nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, heart palpitations, anxiety, shortness of breath, diarrhea, dizziness, etc... So not worth it. I was less sick before starting this medicine."

Steph3 August 6, 2014

"This is my first time taking a 6 pill pack. I have used regular azithromycin for sinus infections before with great results. This infection knocked me out. After being sick for a week I needed help. I started hallucinations because I couldn't breathe or sleep. So I gave in and went to the ER. I cleared up right after the first dose. By dose 3 I was breathing without wheezing. I'm going on day 4 and I can finally sleep. Ahhh sleep is great. I did get dizzy and there was a nasty taste in my mouth and I did have a few loose stools but all in all I would rather put up with those small side effects and be able to sleep."

BeckiStart May 26, 2014