User Reviews for Azithromycin

Also known as: Azithromycin Dose Pack, Z-Pak, Zithromax, Zmax

Learn more about Azithromycin.

Azithromycin review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 366 medications used in the treatment of Sinusitis.

Reviews for Azithromycin to treat Sinusitis

Review by BeckiStart:

This is my first time taking a 6 pill pack. I have used regular azithromycin for sinus infections before with great results. This infection knocked me out. After being sick for a week I needed help. I started hallucinations because I couldn't breathe or sleep. So I gave in and went to the ER. I cleared up right after the first dose. By dose 3 I was breathing without wheezing. I'm going on day 4 and I can finally sleep. Ahhh sleep is great. I did get dizzy and there was a nasty taste in my mouth and I did have a few loose stools but all in all I would rather put up with those small side effects and be able to sleep.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2014 11:54 PM

Review by no more siccko (taken for less than 1 month):

I had a tickle in my throat and very tired on day one. Then day 3 a dry hacking cough and then runny nose and congestion. Day 5 woke up to bad sinus headache and pressure but not getting better and worse cough. Day 7 I felt like death warmed over and couldn't take it anymore. Went to doctor and got 5 day Zpak and inhaler. Took day 1 dose and next morning felt much better and lot of the sinus pressure and headache were gone. By dose Day 4 much much better and only small cough now.

April 17, 2014 8:39 PM

Review by jenbro:

Zithromax (azithromycin): Many many sinus infections over the years. This knocks it out in 3 days compared to 10.

February 6, 2014 11:45 AM

Review by RoMaGo:

After 5 days of terrible dry hacking cough causing chest muscles to be sore and being unable to function, I went to the Dr. and he prescribed the Z Pak. On day 2 and I see results. It is loosening up all the congestion. I am finally a little better. I have a ways to go but I do see good results. When I talked to the pharmacist, he suggested eating something light before taking even though you can take on an empty stomach. He said some get upset stomach after taking so I took his advice and having no problems. I tried Mucinex before seeing the Dr. but got no results this time. Glad I went in for a checkup.

January 25, 2014 3:32 PM

Review by Kumite4u:

Had a very sore throat, sinus and ears completely congested, lungs and back extremely sore with a gurgling sound in every breath and continuous coughing. Overall I felt very miserable. I'm very reluctant to go to a doctor but finally did. I was given the 5 day Z-pack. I noticed feeling a lot better even after the first dose. I wasn't expecting something to work so quickly. Now on the 3rd day and sort of leveled out. Not feeling better but I'm not miserable. Still congested in my lungs but I can breath freely. I hope this knocks it out by the 5th day.

January 23, 2014 12:05 PM

Review by yannick:

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): Could be effective, not sure. Side effects from three day Pak; headache,nausea, anxiety, sore throat, chills, tired, a feeling of being very unwell.

December 9, 2013 11:17 AM

Review by dmct:

This medication always helps me. This and regular penicillin. Every individual's different though.

April 12, 2013 1:34 AM

Review by N.Mosley (taken for less than 1 month):

I have had a severe sinus infection, ear infection and tooth infection for a little over a month. I've been to the doctor quite a few times and was prescribed penicillin the first time and amox-clav the second. I though it was clearing up but within a week it was back. So, back over to the doctor and was prescribed Z-pack. After the first dose I felt so much better! I'm hoping this will clear all of the infection.

March 6, 2013 2:27 AM

Review by andreamarie2012:

Zithromax (azithromycin): I am one of the few that have not had a good experience. High anxiety because my heart won't slow down, bad headache, little nausea, and loose stool. I'm going tomorrow to get different antibiotics.

March 5, 2013 1:57 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Zithromax (azithromycin): After suffering from a cold for 8 days, I woke up with extreme pressure in my sinuses and couldn't hear due to my ears being clogged. I was prescribed the 3 day Zithromax and after one day felt sooo much better. The pressure went away and I had a slightly runny nose. One the second day I could breathe without using decongestants. I haven't had any side effects, but maybe a slight pang in my stomache when taking (I usually eat something right after taking). I'm usually resistant to going to the dr. but very glad I did this time.

October 13, 2012 8:10 AM

Review by meiy tttyihoop (taken for less than 1 month):

It is useful but I have headaches during usage.

July 30, 2012 8:04 AM

I'm on Day 4. My sinus infection is much better, but the diarrhea and upset stomach are bad.

January 17, 2012 11:24 AM

Review by Mandas:

Although it is doing great for what it was prescribed for, I have awful side effects. I have been throwing up and been just very very nauseous all day.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 26, 2011 7:13 PM

Zithromax (azithromycin): I have had this sinus infection for 5 days. Went to the doctors yesterday the doctor prescribed me Zithromax. The side effects with me are stomach cramps, diarrhea, bloody nose and dizziness. But it seems to be working so far. Lets hope that by time the bottle is finished I feel like myself again.

September 9, 2011 9:27 AM

Zithromax (azithromycin): Z-Pak was given to me during a walk-in-care visit. 7 days after starting, my condition has not improved. I experienced several side effects, including nausea, diarrhea, fever, sweating, and more. The worst of all is the loss of appetite caused by the medication. I have only had about 2 days worth of meals in the last five and still cannot stomach a full meal.

August 12, 2011 7:54 PM

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): Although there should be no negative drug interaction with this antibiotic and other medication I take daily, I had a severe allergic reaction: swelling of throat and tongue, vertigo and dizziness, bad taste in my mouth (even days after) and vomiting. I'm on my third day of the medication now and still feel sick and "weird". My throat and tongue are no longer swollen, but all my muscles hurt and my skin feels painful, also major headache and very sleepy.

June 17, 2011 11:03 AM

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): At first I felt better, but it didn't last. I still had that nasty taste at the back of my throat. I've had a quick response to Augmentin, after one tablet and overnight the nasty taste is gone.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2011 6:41 PM

Review by Louise Hammond:

I have Still's Disease and chronic Sinus infections. Zithromax the brand will clear the sinus up for a couple of weeks to a few months. Twice now I have used Azithromycin generic for 5 days, instead of the brand, when all of the local pharmacies were out of brand. Both times it has done nothing. I don't know if this is because my immune system is a little sensitive due to the Still's. Just know the brand works for me and Azithromycin has no effect. I just get sicker and with my Still's that can be terrible.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 28, 2010 9:45 PM

Review by Spidero:

Zithromax (azithromycin): I've used Zithromax 6-Paks for years to treat chronic sinus infections. They always work and have virtually no side effects for me. I have noticed that I need to take the treatment twice for a persistent sinus infection. Usually, one treatment does it. Azithromycin is the ONLY antibiotic that does NOT give me terrible side effects such as stomach aches, cramps, headaches, dizziness, "brain fog".

April 7, 2010 8:13 PM

My 10 year old had a right ear infection and was prescribed Azithromycin. He took the first 2 pills which totaled 500 mg and within 30 minutes he was vomiting, having diarrhea and chest pains. We took him to the ER where we were told there was at least a 5 hour wait and decided to take him back home and give him a lot of liquids to try and flush this out of his system. My advice, don't give a child 15 and under more than 250 mg.

January 19, 2010 1:18 AM

Review by vat313:

Had stomach/nausea/breathing side effects - awful experience. Quit after 4 tablets out of five.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 16, 2010 5:04 PM

Review by anewmom:

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): Had a terrible sinus infection. Got on a Zpack. It takes until day 3 before your really start feeling like it's working. The pack continues to work 10 days after you finish it. I had no tummy problems like I have read on other postings, but I do make sure to eat yogurt everyday when I am on any type of antibiotic. The probiotics in yogurt can keep you from getting loose stools. The one thing that I did notice this time was some dizziness. Never before had that with taking a Zpac. It was not severe dizziness, but enough to make me wonder.

January 12, 2010 2:17 PM

Review by .......:

Zithromax (azithromycin): I used this for every infection, now the sad part is I am resistant. I used the whole 5 day dose, felt a lot better, then the infection came back a week later.

January 10, 2010 10:58 AM

Review by sickerstill:

This medicine made me better but the side effects were bad.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 11, 2009 2:16 PM

Azithromycin Dose Pack (azithromycin): I have taken this many times and it clears up the problem with no side effects at all .

November 25, 2009 1:50 PM