User Reviews for Cephalexin

Also known as: Biocef, Keflex, Keftab, Panixine, Zartan

Learn more about Cephalexin.

Kidney Infections 4 reviews 92 medications

Prostatitis 0 reviews 48 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Cephalexin reviews 88 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Cephalexin

Review by all fixed up! (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Keflex (cephalexin) for Skin Infection: I had to take a double dosage of Keflex. I weigh about 115lbs and had to take 500mg 4 times a day for 10 days. I didn't have any issues with side effects or drinking alcohol while on it. It was prescribed as a precaution after I accidentally got a cut on my leg that required 13 stitches. The only dissatisfactory attribute was the horrid sulfur smell of the capsules.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 23, 2014 5:06 PM
Review by All gone (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Keflex (cephalexin) for Skin Infection: I had recurring boils in one area. They would show up randomly so the dr. was never able to take a culture since they would come to a head and then pop whenever. He put me on a 20 day regimen of Keflex (500) and another ointment antibiotic that he told me to dab into my nose. He said for some odd reason, boils seem to start in the nose. I followed the instructions and had a minor recurrence several months later. I went immediately to see him so he put me back on Keflex. These boils were clustered and leaving scars in the area. They haven't recurred and the scars are gone. Since I caught them starting the 2nd time, they never had a chance to come to a head because I stayed on top of it. I highly recommend it for a skin bacterial infection.

February 25, 2014 7:21 PM
Review by leca:

cephalexin for Bladder Infection: Cephalexin made me sick. Might change to something else.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 25, 2014 1:04 PM
Review by C93 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

cephalexin for Bladder Infection: Been taking this medication everyday for about a year now as I have renal failure and recurrent urinary tract infection problems. No side effects at all for me. However, if I forget to take it one day I will get a infection nearly instantly so it's obviously working well.

December 19, 2013 9:43 PM
Review by Kate25: User Rating:

cephalexin for Skin Infection: Was prescribed Keflex for a minor but painful infection as a result of an ingrown toenail. Took 250mg 3x/day for seven days and saw results after one day. Only side effect was acid reflux immediately after taking pill. I also take probiotics everyday so that may have helped to prevent other side effects.

December 9, 2013 8:19 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Keflex (cephalexin) for Skin Infection: Took 200mg four x/day for 7 days. Cellulitis was still very pink and ozing. Now trying doxycyline for 10 days.

October 29, 2013 9:13 PM
Review by Rose93: User Rating:

cephalexin for Skin Infection: I had a small but very painful boil and the dr gave me cephalexin. It worked really well and cleared it within a couple of days but the side effects were terrible. I had bad gas and cramps along with diarrhoea.

September 15, 2013 9:10 PM
Review by jas jas13: User Rating:

Keflex (cephalexin) for Acne: I have been getting these painful boils under my arm since I was 15-16. Now I'm 21. Like a month after I had my baby, my face broke out really, really bad. Cephalexin(Keflex) cleared it right up. I don't get boils any more.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 23, 2013 12:52 PM

Keflex (cephalexin) for Kidney Infections: My daughter was prescribed this and broke out in a rash all over her. I am sure she was allergic.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 9, 2013 9:30 AM
Review by fatalefemme (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Keflex (cephalexin) for Skin Infection: This medication gave me really bad travelling gas with cold sweats and made me very nauseous on the very first pill! I might ask my doctor to replace this medication for something else. I find it very strong, especially for a mild skin infection due to a spider bite!

July 23, 2013 1:26 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

cephalexin for Skin Infection: I had perioral dermatitis, literally came out of nowhere, originally thought it was a pimple, then the next day just all around my mouth to the point where it hurt to talk, I left it for another day avoiding people, then the next day it got even worse, that is when I panicked. I could barely talk, eating was out of the question (thank God for Ensure and protein shakes). The doctor prescribed Keflex for me, 500mg, four times a day for ten days. It seriously worked wonders. Now I am back on this medication again for the same thing 8 months later, my doctor has no idea what causes it and apparently neither does Google. Anyways, I feel I can rest easy knowing I am on this product again and that it will be cleared up within the 10 days.

July 18, 2013 12:25 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

cephalexin for Bladder Infection: I am very sensitive to antibiotics. Bactrim makes me nauseous, gives me a rapid heart beat, and makes me feel like I have a fever. Cephalexin on the other hand, doesn't make me feel sick at all. The only thing it really does it make me EXHAUSTED for the first 1-3 hours after taking the dose, and makes me feel high during that time. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. However, if I stand up during this 1-3 hour time frame, I do get a little dizzy and slightly nauseous, but it's nothing. Overall, good medicine.

July 9, 2013 11:15 PM
Review by Woo hoo:

cephalexin for Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: Works great!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 10, 2013 12:13 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Keflex (cephalexin) for Kidney Infections: Works great for my urine tract infections. Even when I'm sick with a cold! I highly recommend it.

June 4, 2013 5:16 AM
Review by jake.......: User Rating:

cephalexin for Skin Infection: I had a spider bite, 2 red circular spots on my leg (very itchy). Went away in about 4 days after medicine.

May 13, 2013 3:07 AM
Review by Peach314: User Rating:

cephalexin for Skin Infection: Penicillin VK did -0-; Keflex cleared up a BAD infection from getting a 2 inch splinter out of the upper half of the bottom of my foot. Side effects were miserable: PAIN, fatigue, constipation; now 6 days since last doses. STILL, Keflex cleared up the infection that had a BROWN/YELLOW discharge. A STRANGE antibiotic, but I'd rather have pain than cellulitis.

April 2, 2013 12:16 PM
Review by LadyMadonna: User Rating:

cephalexin for Bacterial Infection: I've seen patient reviews where many terrible side effects of this drug were listed. After that, I was afraid to start taking Cephalexin! But my pharmacist said Keflex has been on the market for decades & most people have no problem with it. I'm happy to report that I am one of those people! The only side effect I am having is a lot of smelly gas & very smelly bowel movements.(a result of the bad bacteria dying off, perhaps?). But that's a small price to pay to get rid of the infection in my ankle, so I'm quite satisfied. Word to the wise: I think that most of the patient reviews we see online are from unsatisfied patients. Most people that have no problem with a medicine probably don't take the time to post, so keep that in mind.

March 10, 2013 5:02 PM
Review by Ne Ne (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

cephalexin for Bacterial Infection: I was prescribed 500 mg every 12 hours for ten days to fight a bacterial problem stemming from a stye on my eye. The cephalexin is working after 2 days however it makes me itch; no hives just mild itching. I make sure I take it with lots of water and I am eating yogurt to make sure I do not get a yeast infection. If the itching worsens I will obtain a different antibiotic. I am sure there is something else that won't make me itch. I had some other antibiotic when I had a root canal that did not make me itch.

March 9, 2013 8:20 PM
Review by Painful Kidneys (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

cephalexin for Kidney Infections: Taking two 500mg twice a day for a kidney infection, 28 year old female. I normally get extremely nauseated and dizzy on antibiotics. I do not on these, no side effects as of yet (day 3) I feel an improvement in my kidneys, but not as much as I had hoped at this point. I'm just happy I am not nauseated on these! I am eating Greek yogurt daily to avoid a nasty yeast infection from taking antibiotics. I do have to warn you, every time I open the pill bottle I get a strong bad smell. It's worth it to get some kind of relief from my angry kidneys!

January 11, 2013 1:29 PM
Review by CB1966: User Rating:

cephalexin for Skin Infection: Broke out in hives and severe vaginal itching. Doctor was aware I was allergic to penicillin so why she prescribed this medication is beyond me.

January 10, 2013 8:25 AM
Review by Orangedelight1988 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

cephalexin for Bacterial Infection: I suffered a urinary tract infection a week ago and went to the doctor when they prescribed me Clindamycin 300mg 3 times in 3 days and Cipro 500mg every 12 hours. I couldn't take either of them because I can't swallow big pills, and I'm afraid Cipro is a little strong for me. I get real anal when it comes to taking medicine like this, for I have a fear of side effects and haven't taken antibiotics before. I went back just the other day and switched medicines and I'm taking this, a liquid form 250mg every 6 hours in four days for 10 days. It taste really good and it smells good, looks like Pepto Bismol. I always take it with food and I have no side effects, and so far it's working great! I highly recommend any one to take this medicine that suffers urinary tract infection.

January 7, 2013 12:48 AM
Review by Some1one (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bacterial Infection: VERY effective antibiotic on two (2) separate events for oral abcess! Usually a straight Penicillin customer, I am & Doc prefers Amoxicillin (not efficacious for me). Compromise medicine: Keflex is the most foul-smelling thing I ever wanted to swallow because it works... so hold your breath!

December 28, 2012 11:51 AM
Review by Ladywestno1 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

cephalexin for Skin Infection: Had bad reaction all the way. Within 15 minutes of taking, experienced shortness of breath, dizziness, diarrhea, throwing up, shakiness, full blown rash/hives, cold/chills, confusion, slurred speech, rapid heart rate, ringing in the ears, extreme tiredness.

December 27, 2012 10:12 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Keflex (cephalexin) for Skin Infection: Basically the only medication that works for me to combat the infections that arise from Darier's disease (a genetic skin disease).

December 21, 2012 10:13 PM
Review by hi5 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Keflex (cephalexin) for Bacterial Infection: I had an abscess on my upper gum resulting from terrible dentist work. I had also been prescribed amoxicillin 500mg, however after a week of taking amoxicillin the pain/swelling did not go away it got noticeably worse. However after taking my first full dose of Keflex swelling reduced and gradually faded out by the time my dosage was complete. Would highly recommend Keflex.

October 30, 2012 9:21 AM