User Reviews for Cephalexin

Also known as: Biocef, Keflex, Keftab, Panixine, Zartan

Learn more about Cephalexin.

Bone infection 1 reviews 64 medications

Acne 3 reviews 519 medications

6.2
Summary of Cephalexin reviews 156 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Cephalexin

For Bladder Infection: "I took cephalexin 500 for ten days following a 5 day stay at my local hospital (with IV antibiotics) for a bladder infection. It did nothing for my infection. But I did get a few nasty side effects. Diarrhea, nightmares, and muscle pain. This medication did not work for me."

AliciaV May 12, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I had a fungal toenail infection, went to doctor, prescribed Cephalexin 500 mg cap 2 twice daily. As I have IBS, took it with food to not upset my stomach, 1st 2, no affect but when I took the next two thought I was going to die, I woke up at 2 am with severe stomach pain, nausea, dizzy, I was draped over the bathroom counter thought I was going to pass out, within 10 mins my hair was soaking wet & had perspiration running down my face and having diarrhea at the same time I live alone, 73 was considering calling 911. next 2 mornings I saw that my gums had been bleeding, not red but dark purplish black, as I have dentures, in was inside and between my teeth, found it can cause gum bleeding. Talked to pharmacy said to stop it. Never again."

Anonymous May 2, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I've been fighting Cellulitis in both legs for 2 years! After 2 hospital stays & several different Dr's my newest put me on 500 Mg 4X daily. After only 3 days my legs look & feel better than they have since I first got it! Also I've been taking 5 or 10 Mg of Oxy every 6 hours to ease the pain.I took 0 the last 24 hours! The only side effect is diarrhea which is a pleasure after being constantly constipated from the Oxy!"

Buffiteer April 30, 2016

For Kidney Infections: "Have been using CefALEXin for 2 days now due to a UTI which started on a monday, then got worse and spread to a kidney infection by tueday then had all the symptoms by tuesday night and started taking CefALEXin Wednesday afternoon, started working the next day, although i get random sever headaches, feel dizzy when standing, feel nauseous in the morning and with no appetite, but that will go once I've finished these antibiotics. I'd much father be feeling like this than how i felt with no treatment on the kidney infection :)"

LivLiving (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Cephalexin might be one of the best antibiotics I have ever taken. I was prescribed 500mg 3x a day for 7 days for an infected lymph node (? The doc didn't really explain, but the lymph node in my groin was swollen to the size of a grape and SO painful I could barely walk. He said it was abcessed) By the 5th dose, almost all of the pain had subsided, swelling was down and I had ZERO side effects. Usually I am very sensitive to antibiotics so I was sure to take the pills on a full stomach. I also get nervous taking any type of medication because of the potential stomach upsets, as I am absolutely terrified of throwing up. But, currently on day 4 - No complaints what so ever. Very happy with how it is working so far :)"

Anon8765 April 18, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "I felt a UTI along with blood in my urine coming on right after I returned from vacation and contacted my doctor at 8am, he prescribed me Cephalexin 500mg 1 pill 3 times a day I started at 10am and by the end of the day the blood was gone and the pain substantially subsided. I'm still having the urination urges but I'm on the meds for 10 days total. I'm pretty confident it's gonna get the job done completely. I hate UTIs and don't get them frequently but if I get another I definitely would take Cephalexin again"

Dee Reyes (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "It was effective in handling the infection in my teeth but approximately 3 weeks after finishing the second course of it, I have developed the annoying vaginal itch and discharge. I am post menopausal and was pretty sure the cephalexin was the culprit."

Amarugia (taken for less than 1 month) April 11, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Don't know if it's going to work or not but I was loopy as hell taking. only took 2...the rest is going in the trash."

Woody1966$$ April 8, 2016

Keflex (cephalexin) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "With only 4 doses of 500 mg in 3 days instead of 3 a day, my symptoms got progressively worse. Blurred vision, dizziness, rash, leg pain and swelling, heat sensations in legs, muscle pain, back pain, swelling and pain in stomach, and extreme fatigue. Stopped taking and reported adverse reaction to pharmacy and will tell doctor. Very glad I did not take full dose. Use with caution if you are sensitive to meds."

60ish teacher March 26, 2016

Keflex (cephalexin) for Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Had a ingrown toenail infection. Was given 500mg keflex taken 4 times a day for 7 days. It is working and I have no pain in my toe. However... so far I've had diarrhea, stomach pain, extreme tiredness and weakness, dizzy spells, yellow skin, loss of appetite, nauseous, red scratchy eyes. So most of the usual stuff. The long and short of it is my toe will be healed as long as I can deal with the side effects for a few more days."

dav185 (taken for less than 1 month) March 16, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Works on my absessed tooth but side effects are bad, nausea, fatigue, severe diarrhea and malaise."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) March 15, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was injected with a shot called medrol and I have been in pain from the injection on the exact area where the nurse injected me.I've been in pain since November 2015.from the injection. I just recently tried Cephalexin and it has helped me so much.I believe the nurse who injected me damaged some of my skin tissues or hit a nerve when she injected me"

Sheen sheen March 14, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Wow. Cleared up a very nasty post-surgery infection. 0 side effects. As others have said, I think you see more negative posts than positive, because those of us without complications are lucky to move forward. Best wishes to everyone with their issues."

mumpdx March 12, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Horrendous stuff. Foul smelling, stomach-churning, nausea-inducing, ugh. It made me feel I was on board a ship in a typhoon, retching hourly. I don't know how people take this. I will NEVER take this again if i can be prescribed something else that works. I have some positive experience with the healing of the toenail but at what foul cost?"

McMurphy March 8, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Bartholin's cyst infection. 500mg 4 times per day 10 days. Instantly cleared infection in 2 days but experiencing severe abdominal cramps, fever, shakes, lack of appetite. Wish I didn't have to keep taking the rest."

Banana bones March 1, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I try not to take medicine unless I am really sick but my doctor recommended I take cephalexin for a small cyst on my eye lid. I decided to try it because antibiotics are one of the medicines I believe are very good when you are sick and your body needs a little help to heal. My dosage was three 500mg per day for 10 days. After the first day I developed stomach cramps and diarrhea. I was not sure if it was due to the medicine so I continued to take the cephalexin for two more days. When the condition did not get any better I stopped taking the cephalexin. It has now been a week since I first took the cephalexin and I still have stomach cramps and diarrhea. I advised my doctor's office of my problem but they have not called me yet."

gjpom March 1, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "The medication did not improve the symptoms significantly until day 3 of taking it."

YaelV February 26, 2016

For Upper Respiratory Tract Infection: "As someone who has suffered with chronic bronchitis most of my adult life, have used CEPHALEXIN for these URTI for years, it has & is working for me when things looked really bad; usually in just a few days I am on the mend and with in a week or so the nasty cough is gone. The stuff saved me from being admitted into the Hospital yet once again."

Texas42 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 12, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was prescribed this as a precaution because I had a mole removed, however I had the worst experience. I don't know if I had food poisoning during the first night of taking it, or if it was entirely the cephalexin, but I had a 12 hour episode of vomiting and diarrhea, after that I was for an entire week with nausea and evidently sick (couldn't eat anything different than BRAT diet). I decided to stop taking cephalexin and in 12 hours I was MUCH better. My doctor said that since we are all different, some antibiotics might not work at all for some of us. This is the first time in my life I had a bad experience with an antibiotic."

Eva Simmons February 7, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Took this drug and got the following results: a dislocated hip; a tear in the tendon of my right foot and hands and thumbs that are inflamed and very painful. It affected my joints and tendons. The literature does not recommend for women over 60 or on Metformin. Stay away from this drug. It can be devastating."

Fitzsx February 1, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed 500mg @ 3x daily for a cyst that I didn't have (the "Doctor" gave me a 5-second exam). Three days later I'm out of bed at 3:00 a.m. with my neuropathy more painful that ever. Since then I've been experiencing "spells" or "episodes" in which I experience severe disorientation, painful vertigo, respiratory and circulatory problems. It also rendered me impotent (all of which has been going on since August 2015). I also have little control of urinating as I cannot tell when, nor can I feel the urine leaving. I can't even stop it "midstream". My gut is finally returning to "normal", yet, because of what the Cephelaxin did, I still need to be near facilities when I have to go."

Jesse1953 January 20, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Was just starting and took one pill....about 2 hours later I was experiencing horrid stomach pains and vomiting. I also was in a very confused state. Had to go to the E.R! Switched to Bactrim and having a much better time."

Asteriaa January 13, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I was given Cephalexin to help with cyst on my ear cartilage and ear lobe. The area on the back side of my lobe was noticeably smaller by the third or fourth day. (So about halfway through). I saw an ENT and he numbed and drained my ear cartilage, and gave me the same prescription. So far so good. I also have a prescription I haven't yet taken, because it's for after surgery in a few days."

MDMA6990 (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2016

For Bladder Infection: "My symptoms : Strange pain at the tip of urethra (only at the end of my urination) and sudden increase in frequency of urination. Treatment: After three days of pain went to doctor she recommended cephalexin twice a day for 7 days (plus plenty of water !) Effects: Pain started to reduce within 2 days. Frequency is reducing slowly. This medicine definitely works!"

shivarni December 31, 2015

For Kidney Infections: "I got put on cephalexin for an untreated UTI which obviously spread to my kidneys, I am current on day 3 and I do feel so much better kidney pain and urinating wise, but it gives me insane dirrahea, makes me feel very nauseous, makes me confused with really bad anxiety, and gives me killer heartburn. I am currently on 500mg 4 times a day"

Taytaybrizzl December 30, 2015