User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Pseudomembranous Colitis 1 reviews 11 medications

Peritonitis 0 reviews 74 medications Not rated - Be the first
Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 291 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Only on day 2 so I'm not sure if work yet. But to get minimize the awful taste I dip the pill in olive oil then swallow it. Hides the bad taste!

November 18, 2014 12:20 AM

Review by CNored:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Works well, but the taste is horrible. I'm taking them twice a day for a week. For the first couple of days, I had diarrhea very bad and after taking the medication, I ended up with a yeast infection. So, I had to treat that as well with a 7 day cream.

October 21, 2014 3:36 PM

Review by sla83838:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: This worked wonders for me. Always cleared up my bacterial vaginosis!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2014 1:38 AM

Review by mrstab6:

For Bacterial Infection: I am so glad I found this site.I thought I was the only one with the foul taste. This has been so helpful, I have learned to dip my Flagyl in Fudge topping but it stills has an after taste. I can however manage to swallow it. Thanks again.

October 18, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by Clogan08:

Metro (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Not long after each dose I get extremely nauseous, even when taking with food. Having to take it 3 times a day is brutal. Let's just say I can't wait for my treatment to be complete.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by tjswan77 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I get bacterial vaginitis all the time because of my sugar. With taking this medicine I only suffered sore throat and a yeast infection. I have to take it for 14 days 2x a day. It does work just.... hate no drinking alcohol.

October 12, 2014 1:01 PM

Review by ashleyewell23 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: It is a very effective pill BUT you have to make sure that you eat before you take it, a couple times I didn't eat and ended up throwing up. But besides that I haven't had any other side effects.

October 9, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by Tried It!:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Everyone is different. If you can, ask your doctor for the inserts. They are great but expensive and some insurances will not pay for it. Both the vaginal inserts and the pill form will rid you of the awful symptoms. The worry with inserts is, does the inserts completely get rid of the infection? With the pills, a person knows the bacteria is being targeted from the inside-out. The first time I took the pill form and several times after, I experience all of the side effects mentioned in the previous reviews. Some people will experience all, others some, and some, no side effects at all. I wish for a pill form that doesn't make "Some of us" feel so bad. For those of us whom are affected the worse, I wish all Insurance would pay.

October 2, 2014 4:24 AM

Review by balefire (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: It worked well. My symptoms went away for the most part after about 3 days. Side effects weren't too bad. Mild upset stomach and abdominal pain. Today is the last day of my prescription. While I'm also just starting birth control at the same time there is still some spotting but I've been informed that it should clear up with in the next few days.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2014 11:04 AM

Review by CarysEllison (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: I was prescribed this medication for Pelvic Inflammatory Disease that I got with chlamydia from my cheating ex. I was told to take 2x 500mg tablets and separated intervals along with Doxycycline. The first few days made me so dizzy I couldn't drive so I returned to the clinic and was told to take them both before bed. I have been taking them for 9 days now the first 8 were okay but today I cannot even leave my bed. Everything is spinning I cannot, I have also experienced a loss in appetite and shall be discontinuing the use.

September 28, 2014 3:46 PM

Review by Bruvz (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diverticulitis: While they do the job as intended the Flagyl makes you sick and nauseous. Food and drink lose its taste and you can gag from just trying to swallow the pill. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis last year and spent 12 days in the hospital with a perforated colon. Luckily the meds did the job and kept me from having to get surgery which would have resulted in a colostomy bag for 4-6 months. This year I had some symptoms again and went to doctor right away. I got the meds again (Flagyl and Cipro 500 mg each twice a day). 48 hours in I am feeling better from the disease but not so much from the meds. To get past the taste of the pills on the way down I started taking it with a spoonful of honey.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2014 2:33 PM

Review by Lawuanga:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Definitely side effects but tolerable! The first night I couldn't sleep and day 2-4 mild stomach pains and nausea. I also had some anxiety along some crazy dreams at night. The taste was bad but I always immediately washed it down with food and juice. I admit I expected it to be a lot worse but the biggest challenge was not being able to drink! As a bonus, my rosacea has almost completely cleared in one week. Who knew!!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 14, 2014 9:01 PM

Review by Elena7:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I experienced a couple of side effects: metallic taste in mouth, sore throat, abdominal pain, loose stools, headache, nausea, lethargy, decreased appetite, AND a yeast infection at day 5! Side effects aside, this stuff works. All symptoms of bacterial vaginitis disappeared by day 2. Take some probiotics while taking this and hopefully you can avoid a yeast infection. Felt like the longest week of my life. I need a drink (you have to avoid alcohol on this).

September 6, 2014 3:35 PM

Review by Lauren O.:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: 1 star rating for the pills. 10 stars for the cream. I was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection and bacterial vaginitis simultaneously. I was prescribed the pill form of Flagyl for the bacterial vsginitis. I was very nauseous after beginning the course of Flagyl and within 24 hours I began vomiting profusely. I vomited/dry heaved every 2 hours for about 12 hours. Since I couldn't even keep down water, much less food or the pills, the vomiting subsided. I contacted my doctor first thing the following morning and she prescribed the Metronidazole Vaginal Cream. It worked amazingly well and cleared up the the bacterial vaginitis. I had a slight yeast infection following treatment that cleared up well with over the counter cream.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2014 1:23 PM

Review by Selena101:

For Trichomoniasis: The taste is AWFUL. I gag thinking about it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 4, 2014 1:52 AM

Review by suequill1 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diverticulitis: I was hospitalized with diverticulitis for 5 days, previously I was treated with Levaquin and another antibiotic, not sure of the name. After having an allergic reaction to Levaquin, I was given Flagyl. Immediately, I started having watery diarrhea which made me weak, I could not eat or smell anything without nausea. I told my doctor but he kept it up. After a day on intravenous Flagyl, I was throwing up green and diarrhea was also green. I could not leave the room because I could not get any distance from the toilet. Still they continued to pump the Flagyl in and I got sicker and sicker. Finally, I begged my doctor to let me go home because the diverticulitis was gone because I had taken 10 days of Cipro before being admitted.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2014 12:13 AM

Review by karsheeda:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Like everyone else, I've ignored the symptoms for a couple months but you just get over the discharge and smell and all you want is to get rid of it. I have the 5 day dose 3 times a day. The dosage is really really affordable. By day 2 all the smell and discharge had disappeared. Weird thing is, on day 2 I had some weird reaction where my eyes had this sticky feeling and had some white like substance the following morning. Dehydration, and lack of sleep are the other side effects I have experienced. Besides that, its working wonders and I'm just glad to be over with the infection and vile medicine in a couple days. FYI: thanks for letting me know I should wait a few days before drinking alcohol. Wish you all the best.

August 22, 2014 5:26 PM

Review by symptom free:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: After reading some of the reviews on this medication I was a little afraid so I held on to the medicine for a week until I begin to take it. My experience has been good so far and this is day 5. I'm not a person who can swallow pills so like grandmom use to do, I smash them to crumbles and take with applesauce. My symptoms went away on day 2.

August 21, 2014 11:08 AM

Review by WORD OR ADVICE!:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I get bacterial vaginitis quite often, 5-6 times a year. I'm taking the pill now and I was given some NEW advice from the pharmacist! The instructions on the bottle say DO NOT drink alcohol, however I was told that even USING products that contain an alcohol ingredient can give you horrible rashes and hives. So just a word of caution, invest in some regular Dove soap alcohol and sulfate free lotion and put your pretty perfumes and lotions on the shelf for a little over a week!

August 18, 2014 1:55 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I seem to get bacterial vaginitis often, about 2-3 times a year. I tried Flagyl in the pill form and vaginal gel on different occasions. For me, they both clear up the infection by the 3rd day. The only difference is, I do not experience side effects with the vaginal gel, but with the pill I experience stomach cramps and fatigue.

August 15, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by BabyyCakes:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I cover my pill with peanut butter completely & then take it. That nasty taste doesn't get in your mouth. If I don't do that then I feel like I'm going to spit it right back up. Just thought I would share that.

August 14, 2014 5:33 PM

Review by SharkWeek405 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Trichomoniasis: I had to take a one time dose of 4 500mg capsules. About two hours after taking the dose I had noticed I was feeling extremely tired. I was driving and decided to make my way home. So I wouldn't recommend driving. About 4 hours after, I felt a lot of nausea and general flu like symptoms. I felt like I needed to sleep but was unable to fall asleep. These symptoms were not unbearable. Its been 3 days since I've taken this medication and I still have minor side effects lingering. I have been having great sleeps, random nausea, vivid dreams and random bouts of fatigue. ALL of my symptoms from trichomoniasis have disappeared so I would recommend this medication.

August 13, 2014 4:16 PM

Review by Tonya18:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I think it works. Yes it does clear up the bacterial vaginitis. However I have terrible back pain. Joint pains, headache, awful taste in mouth. Been 5 days on metronidazole for the first time and these side effects mostly have me in bed. I am 18 and anemic. I like the fact that I smell better already. Hate that each day if taking this medicine, feels like the first day of my period. Except that I am not having my period.. Good thing its only a few days 2 to go.

August 9, 2014 7:19 PM

Review by hurtinglikeheck (taken for less than 1 month):

For Clostridial Infection: I have been taking metronidazole 500mcg 3 times daily for 7 days for C-Dif. The side effects are awful, stiff neck, painful urination, back, leg, hip, knee, ankle and overall joint pain are terrible. I reported this to my MD, who encouraged me to keep taking the med for 10 days to be sure the c-diff infection is gone. So, I am still taking it. Right now, I only hope that once i manage 10 more pills, that the pain and hurt will go away. This is without a doubt a very toxic medication and not much you can do except take it anyway..... Can someone out there let me know if the joint pain goes away after you quit taking this stuff? Is there something that I can do to avoid permanent joint damage?

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2014 4:25 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I just took my first dose last night after I ate a 'hearty' meal (as advised by the pharmacist), and already this morning the smell is gone. As well as most of the discharge, yay. I started noticing the smell about two weeks ago (to me, literally the worst smell I have ever smelt on myself) and am going on vacation soon so I figured it was not going away on it's own. I have to take it 2x/day 500mg for 7 days. Lunch and Dinner.

July 23, 2014 11:46 AM