User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Pseudomembranous Colitis 1 reviews 11 medications

Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 55 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 322 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Metronidazole

Review by Jolenne H:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: This medicine works SO well! The smell and heavy discharge were gone within 2 days of this 10 day medication. A lot of other people report feeling sick and restless but this was not my experience at all. The only side effect I experienced was lightheadedness due to the medicine's ability to dehydrate the body. The only thing that really sucks about this medication is not being able to drink alcohol-- and seriously, don't even attempt it. You will thank me later.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 16, 2015 1:22 PM

Review by kb78:

For Diverticulitis: I was put on metronidazole 500 mg and Cipro 500 mg twice daily for diverticulitis. I noticed the pain eased up after 2 days. I'm on day 5 and I feel horrid. Diarrhea, headache, tired, dizzy, nauseous, foggy headed, anxiety, depression and body pain. I don't know if I can do this for 5 more days!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2015 6:00 PM

Review by 22yearsold (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Infection: The nausea that came with this is unbearable but it's working. I guess I'm not eating enough with it!?

February 6, 2015 5:18 PM

Review by Selz (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I sympathize with those who had to prolong their treatment in the course of 5 days, I on the other hand and thankfully at that was prescribed only a single dose of 5 tablets of Metronidazole. Quick and easy. Make sure you eat before you take it though and I find if you hydrate yourself you less likely to feel nauseous. I've had recurrent bacterial vaginitis so I know what I'm talking about.

January 19, 2015 1:52 PM

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I took Flagyl for bacterial vaginitis and thought I was dying. The nausea and headaches are unbearable but because I know it works I had to keep taking it. On the fourth day I started taking it with orange juice and eating after, and WALAH! It was so much better. No more headaches or nausea. Not sure if it was because I was halfway done with the med, or if my orange juice really worked. Hope this helps someone.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2015 9:10 AM

Review by KL23:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: This works every single time I have bacterial vaginitis.

January 12, 2015 9:15 AM

Review by bad taste gone:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Want to say I tried the dipping pill in olive oil , was awesome. No bad taste what so ever. Swallowed very easily.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 11, 2015 7:28 PM

Review by tlwrigh1:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: First just to comment on the medicine itself, I was taking 500mg pills every 12 hours for 7 days. I did not get to finish. The medicine is amazing! The smell and discharge were gone within the 1st two pills. The worst part were the side effects and this is why I didn't finish. I was constantly vomiting and could not sleep at all. Every time I tried to eat or drink anything I threw it right up. I also experienced diarrhea but that was not nearly as bad as the vomiting. I quit on day 4 because I couldn't bare the side effects, but the medicine itself is really a life saver!

January 8, 2015 8:51 AM

Review by Kim the Kim:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I get Vaginosis around 3 times a year. I get the weekly dose that you take x3 times a day. It usually takes 2-3 days for my symptoms to stop. This time though my outer vagina lip is inflammed a little. This is the first time this has happened. This is most likely from me scratching the irritated area. I have been putting an ice pack on the lip to cool it down and ease the itching. This has worked, but I am still experiencing a slight tingling around the vaginal opening. I have only had 2 doses as this is my first day. I really hope this awful tingling stops overnight so I can get my life back. I do not experience any side effects and do sometimes drink a little while on these meds. Still works fine and do not feel sick at all!

January 1, 2015 8:55 AM

Review by Beth0311 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Clostridial Infection: If you need this medicine it really does work wonders. I had a C. difficile infection for over a month, could barely eat or drink anything and was going to the toilet at least 15 times a day in absolute agony. Within two days of taking metronidazole my bowel movements normalized and the stomach pains started to subside. Not only that it sorted out some of the bowel issues I'd had for two years. My stool was completely normal and bowel movements were pain free and I no longer experienced acid reflux. I did get headaches and some aches and pains but this was so much more tolerable than what I was like before. I can't speak for everyone but for me this medicine was like a miracle for me.

January 1, 2015 7:19 AM

Review by Anonymous134:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I took this twice a day for 7 days, and have never felt so sick on a medication. I had severe headaches, bloating, constant nausea, aches and pains all over. As many others have mentioned, it tastes rancid unless you're really proficient at throwing it into the back of your throat and chugging it down immediately- even in a second, the taste stuck to the back of my throat and made me gag. A couple other really important notes -- this medication lowered both my liver function (hence no alcohol while you're on it! They mean it) AND my platelet count... So I was getting nose bleeds, bruises and some fairly alarming vaginal bleeding while on it as well.

December 31, 2014 10:42 PM

Review by Simplysharon85:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I've had bacterial vaginitis on & off for many years and just got sick of treating it until a few days ago when I was struck with bad pelvic pain and pressure, ended up in ER and diagnosed with pelvic inflammatory disease which has caused an abscess on my left ovary. Turns out the Pelvic Inflammatory Disease has been caused by the untreated bacterial vaginitis over time. So please get treated every time you get symptoms. I'm on day 2 & have an ease of symptoms from the BV but get very nauseous and sick feeling after taking it. I'm also on a few others for the PID but it's definitely no fun. Don't ignore Bacterial Vaginitis.

December 28, 2014 12:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Clostridial Infection: I was on this medication twice a day for ten days for C. diff infection. I just finished my last round today and wanted to give a review. I have experienced nearly every side effect possible. Terrible nausea, dizziness, tingling sensations in my legs, and insomnia. They were the worst the first few days on the medicine, however, all of my C. diff symptoms have done away and I feel much better. I'm giving it a 9 since it was effective, but the side effects were bad. It is a tough medicine to take, but I do recommend it as the side effects will go away and it will relieve the symptoms of C. diff.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2014 10:25 PM

Review by Jabroni (taken for less than 1 month):

For Dental Abscess: Prescribed with amoxycillin, I have sore joints, am weaker than normal, have the most intense and beefy (flows like liquid but there's more oomph to it than normal) diarrhea, but the swelling in my jaw is dwindling rapidly after day 3 of a 7 day course. It's worth the side effects for me, especially since the diarrhea is almost enjoyable because of the sheer novelty of it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2014 5:23 PM

Review by Tryingtofindacure:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Okay so before I took this I read all the reviews on here. I was frightened. So I began a 7 day process, 2 pills a day. The odor went away the 2nd day. I guess it started smelling normal. I was very pleased it didn't have that fishy smell anymore. However I still discharged and on the last day I discharged so much! The doctor and nurse said it's just cleaning everything out. Overall I was pleased. The effects I did have were diziness, headaches, abdominal pain, and somewhat nauseous. What was weird was that one day my mouth tasted what it smelled like. It smelled and tasted in my mouth like a little bit of bleach. Oh and the pills aren't that bad tasting when you get used to it.

December 17, 2014 2:21 PM

Review by caaaaats:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I've been having this odor for quite few months and some discharge. I just started taking the meds last night and this morning I didn't have any odor or discharge but I took 4 500 mg and will continue the 2 x a day till my meds are finished. Its working.

December 16, 2014 9:31 AM

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: I take it with a banana so I can't taste it, no effects except for headaches.

December 14, 2014 11:41 PM

Review by blueblondie50:

For Bacterial Infection: I made the mistake of not reading about the side effects before taking this medication. I took my first pill at night and was up all night with stomach cramps and diarrhea. It was so bad I thought I had food poisoning. By the second day I had no appetite and the cramping and bloating in my stomach was unbelievable. It was at this time that I started reading the side effects and realized this was indeed a bad side effect. I too was so happy when my last day arrived to take mylast pill. And although I also experienced an awful taste in my mouth after taking this pill, that was the least of my complaints as all the other side effects were worse. Good luck taking this medication

December 14, 2014 7:02 AM

Review by Ray j:

For Diverticulitis: Its ironic that Flagyl used to be given to alcoholics so they couldn't absorb alcohol in the liver causing terrible discomfort. Both meds Cipro and Flagyl work very well. Just take them separately and with some yogurt.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2014 11:35 AM

Review by I'm an RN:

For Diverticulitis: I find my experience to be the exact opposite of those I've read here! I had a terrible reaction to Cipro last year...vomiting, diarrhea, severe abdominal pain. Refused it this week when I developed diverticulitis. I'm taking Flagyl and clindamycin combination with absolutely zero side effects. I plan to start yogurt tomorrow as diet progresses.

December 7, 2014 1:27 PM

Review by Carly.j19:

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: After being prescribed these for a pelvic infection I was worried about potential side effects. I have been taking them twice a day for just over a week now but haven't had any sickness or nausea I am happy to report. I have however noticed a metallic taste in my mouth, a bit of a numb tongue, change in taste, and the first few days I felt a tad dizzy like I was recovering from a hangover. I have also noticed an increase in my fluid intake and bowel movements, although nothing unpleasant.

December 6, 2014 8:36 AM

Review by Coleaus:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Did a great job clearing the infection within days, however you have to drink water and eat before taking it. I had nausea and vomiting for hours after taking it when I didn't have a full meal on my stomach.

December 5, 2014 5:19 PM

Review by Diverticulitis boy (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: Flagyl leaves a bad taste in my mouth after a couple of days, makes my urine smell bad, and causes nausea (so get some anti nausea meds along with it). That being said - it does the job very well. Noticeable improvement within 1--3 days.

December 3, 2014 10:20 PM

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I am currently taking this antibiotic, I am on day five. I honestly can't wait until it is over. I am an athlete in college and I can say that ever since taking this it has affected my performance. I also wish I would have started this earlier because it has me extremely tired and fatigue and this is FINALS week. I get constant headaches, awful taste left in my mouth all day, don't really have much of an appetite either. I've also been having horrible abdominal pain that sometimes aren't tolerable. I really do hate the side effects but I will go through this if it will make me better. The discharge as well as foul smell has gone away, which is what motivates me to keep taking this. I have only two more days to go. wish me luck!!

December 3, 2014 1:10 PM

Review by PRS_118:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Taking this 2x per day (every 12 hours) for 1 week straight while eating or with milk. I've experience abdominal cramps on the lower left side, some nausea (but not all the time), and definitely have had the gross, metallic taste in my mouth whenever I take it. On day 4, and discharge/smell seems to be gone. I've noticed that I barely notice the taste if I drink some milk before, then tilt my headback and let the pill drop, and then more milk until I don't feel/taste it anymore. I've even accidentally bit the pill when I was eating milk and cereal, and while it made me want to vomit for a split second, the taste was completely gone as soon as I washed it down with milk. Never taking this without milk again.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate