User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Pseudomembranous Colitis 1 reviews 11 medications

Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 242 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Metronidazole

Review by Metronidazole: User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: I'm on day 6 of my medication and it has worked wonders. I had a strong fishy smelling discharge for two months, that lasted all day. Literally on DAY 2 of my medication the odor and the discharge disappeared! I didn't have to keep changing underwear or wiping off my undies anymore. This medication gave me my life and confidence back. The taste of the medicine is pretty bitter if you let it sit on your tongue, so have your water ready so you can drink it fast. Also eat a small meal before to avoid nausea. NOT AFTER. The first 2 days I ate after and felt like I just couldn't make it through the day. After that I tried eating before and the nausea didn't come back. Hope this helped!

April 17, 2014 2:34 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: This medicine helped it go away completely in the 7 day treatment but it is the WORST thing I have ever tasted in my life and it has come back afterwards.

April 16, 2014 1:23 AM
Review by Raee: User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: I've been taking the medicine on and off for 5 years, I have a repeating bacterial vaginitis infection. The medicine tastes like medal, for those of you who ask, "how do you know what it tastes like", your mouth begins to have a metal flavor and the taste of your food is altered. The medicine literally makes me ill, my head hurts and stomach is nauseous. There aren't any other medications that work for bacterial vaginitis and this one obviously isn't perfect, never less, it does the job for 3-5 months and then I repeat the course of action all over again. So my advice is to hang in there and take the pills until completed. Hopefully you will have greater longevity.

April 15, 2014 1:49 PM
Review by ..........: User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Infection: My doctor had me taking this twice a day for 7 days. I'm on day 5 and have experienced dry mouth (from not wanting to drink), a few horrible headaches (possibly from not being able to drink so dehydration) and periods of fatigue. Today I worked out and got extremely sick which never happens so some advice would be to not do a lot of exercise while on this. It's really not horrible though. Definitely worth the side effects since my symptoms were so unpleasant. My doctor also told me not to drink on it.

April 11, 2014 1:26 AM
Review by Nanamama5 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Started this 4 days ago for an anaerobic infection in my jaw, that had not responded to other medication. The first I developed a severe headache at bedtime, took one of the pain pills the dentist had prescribed because of my jaw/tooth abscess. Took care of it, and went about my business. So far, every NIGHT I developed a headache an hour or so after taking my last dose of the day (1 500mg tab twice a day). This is day 4. Only other side effect I've noticed is significantly darkened urine. I would have been really worried about that (as I have kidney stones) but had a routine visit with my urologist today who said it was ok and would go away.

April 8, 2014 5:27 AM
Review by rockyrono (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: It worked and did the job it needed but after a week of taking 2 a day my body ached all over, my arms hurt to bend over as agony and I felt so tired no matter how much I slept. Also took along with ofloxacin and can't wait to be over with this.

March 21, 2014 7:11 PM
Review by Niki 32yrs (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Taken at night with a common yeast infection pill worked great!

March 19, 2014 9:24 AM
Review by Tamaraerringtonpaul86:

metronidazole for Bacterial Infection: Well I've been on the pill for 3 weeks straight due to the infection not wanting to budge. They just gave me the pills again this week along with the gel and the two treatments together seem to be doing the trick but had the infection on and off for 7 annoying months. No side effects at all.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 4, 2014 3:55 PM
Review by A mom79: User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Doctor prescribed this medication for bacterial vaginitis 3x a day for 7 days well I took my 1st dose no problem except a little diarrhea. Took my second dose and went to bed. A few hours later I'm awakened out of my sleep to a tingling face. My right side of my face is swollen.

March 1, 2014 12:13 AM
Review by Sue. M (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Diverticulitis: I couldn't keep it down now I take a fruit roll up pick up the pill with tweezers and then pinch together to enclose the pill with my fingers pop it in my mouth and walla no bad taste .

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 23, 2014 7:32 PM
Review by baroness140: User Rating:

metronidazole for Dental Abscess: I was put on amoxicillin for abscessed tooth and it helped but did not completely clear the infection. Am on Flagyl now and I feel better than I have in years. Instead of sleeping ten hours a night I am sleeping about six and yet I have more energy than I have ever had. I feel so good right now that I would like to take this forever. My fibromyalgia is in remission and the chronic fatigue is gone. This is an awesome. I wonder if the really bad side effects for other patients is because they are allergic to it, or this antibiotic is just not the right one for the infection that they have (and are they staying away from fermented sugars/alcohol?).

February 23, 2014 3:56 PM
Review by Trud53: User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: I have been dealing with bacterial vaginitis on and off for a while and usually metronidazole works. The only issue is the yeast infection afterwards. However, after I completed my last treatment I developed a terrible case of hives (never happened to me before) Days later, the hives cleared up but then the yeast infection! After the yeast infection, guess what came back...BV! I don't know what to do at this point.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 20, 2014 7:10 AM
Review by Angiemarie: User Rating:

metronidazole for Diverticulitis: First time I had diverticulitis I was prescribed metronidazole and Cipro. The metronidazole was so horrible tasting it would make me gag and throw up. I got some double zero gelation capsules and put the pill inside the capsule. It worked like a charm, no more gagging. It works for bad tasting pills as well as chalky pills that get stuck in your throat. Good luck!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 17, 2014 1:20 AM
Review by jeanit (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Diverticulitis: Dr sent me to the ER as this was my 1st diagnosed diverticulitis. I was admitted and given the 2 medicines IV. I was in the hospital for 3 days and since taking the Flagyl orally I gotta admit UGH! YUCK. I never want to go through that again. So I definitely will follow the diverticulitis diet.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 8, 2014 8:11 PM
Review by Eddie B:

metronidazole for Bacterial Infection: Taste like any medication. If it was that awful they would put it in a capsule. No side effects on day 6 of 500 mg. 3 x a day. Stopped CDI diarrhea really fast. Would take again if the spore reinfect me as they do with 20% of people.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 3, 2014 5:36 PM
Review by Feeling meh:

metronidazole for Bacterial Infection: Given for 7 days, twice a day for bacterial vaginitis. I dipped the pill in honey and took after full meals with lots of liquids. Never tasted it at all. Side effect of dry mouth with slight nausea but ate a little more on top of dose. I'm now on sixth day and feel horrible. I don't know if I actually have the flu or if this is side effect of the medicines. I'm achy, chills, dizzy, sore throat, and headaches. Don't want to continue if these are serious side effects, but if I stop it may cause treatment to have been in vain! It has cleared up all symptoms of infection though.

January 31, 2014 1:48 PM
Review by Ms.Aerie: User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: Took Flagyl and Cipro together - felt worse than I did before - all the side effects everyone is mentioning. However, the alternative - raging infection - not really an option. Taking my diet seriously moving forward.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 25, 2014 10:23 PM
Review by Pickyourdestiny (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Pseudomembranous Colitis: I came back from Cuba with a sinus infection about two weeks ago.. my doctor prescribed an antibiotic that I normally used in the past, long story short I got a very nasty case of Diarrhea after the 4th day. Started going to the bathroom over 7 times a day (i literally lost count).. Went to the walk-in clinic again and they said that it could be due to C.difficile and asked me to do a stool test.. said i should book an appointment in 10 days when the results got back.. I waited two days and broke.. went back to them and said there is no point in waiting as all i did all day was go to the bathroom. Needless to say after one metronidazole pill it did the trick. Hallelujah! Best 15 dollars I ever spent!! I am going to pass out candy boxes today.

January 23, 2014 8:51 AM
Review by I'll be happy when it's done (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: I had very mild symptoms of BV. Really minimal amount of discharge and only an odor after sex. I googled my symptoms and diagnosed myself with BV. I didn't want to have sex again until I got it taken care of. I went to the doctor and vwala...diagnosed and RX'd Metronidazole 500mg BID. I'm only on my 2nd day of the medicine. I googled taking a probiotic (lactobacillus) alongside it (3-4 hours after you take your metronidazole) because the metronidazole could upset your bacteria/yeast balance in your body and actually cause you to get a yeast infection. So I've been taking my metronidazole and then 4 hours later I'll take a probiotic pill. I am SUPER dizzy and my tummy hurts. Not digging the side effects :-(

January 21, 2014 5:08 AM
Review by 30whitefemale (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: Its my 4th day on 500 mg of metronidazole twice daily and 500 mg of cefprozil twice being treated for bacterial vaginosis the smell is gone! Im so relieved but it burns a bit like when I get bladder infections but I'm confident when I'm done these pills I can a dress my bladder I been getting bladder infections for years off and on anyway off topic the pills dont have a taste just swallow with big gulp of juice or water and your good I dont notice any side effects other than the burning its bearable Tylenol or advil can help with that I was so embarrassed by the smell I finally had to do something so glad I did

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 16, 2014 9:52 PM
Review by happynhealthy:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: It's my third time using the metro gel for 5 days and I always get a metallic taste as the only side effect but this third time I had little to no appetite, felt dizzy and my face was itchy but this medicine works fast, the smell and discharge are gone on the second day.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 10, 2014 11:34 PM
Review by sgenter (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

metronidazole for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: Metronidazole causes me to have headaches, bloated stomach with cramps(sometimes severe), and a heavy feeling. Prescribed for H-Pylori treatment for 10 days along with Clarithomycin. It also causes a lack of appetite. When taking this medicine, it will taste bad and leave a bad taste in your mouth and throat for a few hours. I find drinking a hot beverage like cocoa or low acid coffee after taking it has helped relieve the bad taste but doesn't get rid of it completely. For Manufacturer's: Manufacturer's should really consider making this as a hard caplet. Maybe even adding a flavor enhancer. In it's current form, it almost immediately starts dissolving before being swallowed with a disgusting salty taste.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 28, 2013 12:00 PM
Review by Lalalinda: User Rating:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: It seems I've had Experiences that a lot of these other people do with feeling worse than I did before on these medications with the Cipro and Flagyl and I'm nauseous I'm dizzy I have foggy brain I can't eat the taste is horrible and I feel like I can't function. I've been On this for the second time in a year and it's doing the same thing same side effects. I don't like feeling this way at all. I can't drive or go to work. I've been on it for 4 days out of 10 and its Christmas! My pain has subsided though.

December 23, 2013 10:48 PM
Review by Jill87: User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: I have gotten bacterial vaginitis a few times over the past few years. Unlike most, I don't usually experience any odor or discharge. Instead I just suffer from vaginal pain that is so bad it keeps me awake at night. I have taken this antibiotic in the past, and it works great - I feel better after just a few doses. This time around, I got very nauseous after my first dose, and ended up throwing up. I think because I didn't take it with a real meal (just a small snack) it upset my stomach. Another possibility is I took a probiotic this morning which says not to take it within 2 hours of taking an antibiotic...

December 23, 2013 3:04 PM
Review by No longer Ashamed (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

metronidazole for Bacterial Vaginitis: Bacterial Vaginitis is not uncommon, taking a daily probiotic with a high number of live bacteria (the beneficial bacteria in yogurt) greatly reduces the risks of getting bacterial vaginitis again. My boyfriend and I are very active, usually daily, and like clockwork I was having to treat bacterial vaginitis every 5 weeks for nearly a year. Each time I was prescribed Metronidazole 500 mg twice daily for 7 days, each time by day 2 the odor is gone. The medication is great, the taste is terrible so I suggest putting the pill into the back of the throat onto a mouthful of already chewed, ready to swallow food without allowing the pill to touch any part of the mouth, it helps! Douching isn't recommended, rinse out in a bath.

December 5, 2013 10:48 AM
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next

Learn about treatments for high cholesterol? Watch video.