User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Pseudomembranous Colitis 1 reviews 11 medications

Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 301 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Metronidazole

Review by caaaaats:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I've been having this odor for quite few months and some discharge. I just started taking the meds last night and this morning I didn't have any odor or discharge but I took 4 500 mg and will continue the 2 x a day till my meds are finished. Its working.

December 16, 2014 9:31 AM

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: I take it with a banana so I can't taste it, no effects except for headaches.

December 14, 2014 11:41 PM

Review by Ray j:

For Diverticulitis: Its ironic that Flagyl used to be given to alcoholics so they couldn't absorb alcohol in the liver causing terrible discomfort. Both meds Cipro and Flagyl work very well. Just take them separately and with some yogurt.

December 12, 2014 11:35 AM

Review by I'm an RN:

For Diverticulitis: I find my experience to be the exact opposite of those I've read here! I had a terrible reaction to Cipro last year...vomiting, diarrhea, severe abdominal pain. Refused it this week when I developed diverticulitis. I'm taking Flagyl and clindamycin combination with absolutely zero side effects. I plan to start yogurt tomorrow as diet progresses.

December 7, 2014 1:27 PM

Review by Coleaus:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Did a great job clearing the infection within days, however you have to drink water and eat before taking it. I had nausea and vomiting for hours after taking it when I didn't have a full meal on my stomach.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 5, 2014 5:19 PM

Review by Diverticulitis boy (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: Flagyl leaves a bad taste in my mouth after a couple of days, makes my urine smell bad, and causes nausea (so get some anti nausea meds along with it). That being said - it does the job very well. Noticeable improvement within 1--3 days.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2014 10:20 PM

Review by tinknwolf (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diverticulitis: This is my first time with a Flagyl and Cipro combination. It's been 3 days and so nauseous and the lethargy is awful. I'm not sure I can continue the combination but I will be calling the doctor Monday morning. And I do have Zofran. These side effects are terrible.

November 23, 2014 5:39 AM

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Only on day 2 so I'm not sure if work yet. But to get minimize the awful taste I dip the pill in olive oil then swallow it. Hides the bad taste!

November 18, 2014 12:20 AM

Review by pmva:

For Bacterial Infection: My last day on metronidazole, hooray. Am so glad I found this thread. I have felt horrible for the whole week. Took it for bacterial vaginitis , given by my obgyn. First two days were okay. Then had really bad diarrhea and rumbling sensations in tummy. No appetite, dizzy, felt so sick after taking it, no appetite and my urine was brown. I didn't wanna stop the course though because it cleared up my infection. I just wish we were told of the side effects.

November 13, 2014 9:50 AM

Review by dieHarder (taken for less than 1 month):

For Dental Abscess: The medicine is on my 3rd day, taken 3 pills daily, pain on my right side of my stomach, like stabbing pains, dry mouth, whole body is weak, can't get to sleep, loss of appetite, so far so good, but the side effects are bugging me.

November 13, 2014 9:25 AM

For Deep Neck Infection: Used alongside Benzylpenicillin to treat a Peritonsillar Abscess (abscess around the tonsil) caused by MRSA infection and anaerobic bacteria. Was on Intravenous Drip when in hospital with no side effects. Now on oral 400mg with some side effects; nausea, tiredness, metallic taste. It is working well to treat infection. I recommend to anyone who gets PTA

November 12, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by CNored:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Works well, but the taste is horrible. I'm taking them twice a day for a week. For the first couple of days, I had diarrhea very bad and after taking the medication, I ended up with a yeast infection. So, I had to treat that as well with a 7 day cream.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2014 3:36 PM

Review by sla83838:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: This worked wonders for me. Always cleared up my bacterial vaginosis!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2014 1:38 AM

Review by mrstab6:

For Bacterial Infection: I am so glad I found this site.I thought I was the only one with the foul taste. This has been so helpful, I have learned to dip my Flagyl in Fudge topping but it stills has an after taste. I can however manage to swallow it. Thanks again.

October 18, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by Clogan08:

Metro (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Not long after each dose I get extremely nauseous, even when taking with food. Having to take it 3 times a day is brutal. Let's just say I can't wait for my treatment to be complete.

October 13, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by tjswan77 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I get bacterial vaginitis all the time because of my sugar. With taking this medicine I only suffered sore throat and a yeast infection. I have to take it for 14 days 2x a day. It does work just.... hate no drinking alcohol.

October 12, 2014 1:01 PM

Review by ashleyewell23 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: It is a very effective pill BUT you have to make sure that you eat before you take it, a couple times I didn't eat and ended up throwing up. But besides that I haven't had any other side effects.

October 9, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by Tried It!:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Everyone is different. If you can, ask your doctor for the inserts. They are great but expensive and some insurances will not pay for it. Both the vaginal inserts and the pill form will rid you of the awful symptoms. The worry with inserts is, does the inserts completely get rid of the infection? With the pills, a person knows the bacteria is being targeted from the inside-out. The first time I took the pill form and several times after, I experience all of the side effects mentioned in the previous reviews. Some people will experience all, others some, and some, no side effects at all. I wish for a pill form that doesn't make "Some of us" feel so bad. For those of us whom are affected the worse, I wish all Insurance would pay.

October 2, 2014 4:24 AM

Review by balefire (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: It worked well. My symptoms went away for the most part after about 3 days. Side effects weren't too bad. Mild upset stomach and abdominal pain. Today is the last day of my prescription. While I'm also just starting birth control at the same time there is still some spotting but I've been informed that it should clear up with in the next few days.

September 29, 2014 11:04 AM

Review by CarysEllison (taken for less than 1 month):

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: I was prescribed this medication for Pelvic Inflammatory Disease that I got with chlamydia from my cheating ex. I was told to take 2x 500mg tablets and separated intervals along with Doxycycline. The first few days made me so dizzy I couldn't drive so I returned to the clinic and was told to take them both before bed. I have been taking them for 9 days now the first 8 were okay but today I cannot even leave my bed. Everything is spinning I cannot, I have also experienced a loss in appetite and shall be discontinuing the use.

September 28, 2014 3:46 PM

Review by Bruvz (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diverticulitis: While they do the job as intended the Flagyl makes you sick and nauseous. Food and drink lose its taste and you can gag from just trying to swallow the pill. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis last year and spent 12 days in the hospital with a perforated colon. Luckily the meds did the job and kept me from having to get surgery which would have resulted in a colostomy bag for 4-6 months. This year I had some symptoms again and went to doctor right away. I got the meds again (Flagyl and Cipro 500 mg each twice a day). 48 hours in I am feeling better from the disease but not so much from the meds. To get past the taste of the pills on the way down I started taking it with a spoonful of honey.

September 22, 2014 2:33 PM

Review by Lawuanga:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Definitely side effects but tolerable! The first night I couldn't sleep and day 2-4 mild stomach pains and nausea. I also had some anxiety along some crazy dreams at night. The taste was bad but I always immediately washed it down with food and juice. I admit I expected it to be a lot worse but the biggest challenge was not being able to drink! As a bonus, my rosacea has almost completely cleared in one week. Who knew!!

September 14, 2014 9:01 PM

Review by Elena7:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I experienced a couple of side effects: metallic taste in mouth, sore throat, abdominal pain, loose stools, headache, nausea, lethargy, decreased appetite, AND a yeast infection at day 5! Side effects aside, this stuff works. All symptoms of bacterial vaginitis disappeared by day 2. Take some probiotics while taking this and hopefully you can avoid a yeast infection. Felt like the longest week of my life. I need a drink (you have to avoid alcohol on this).

September 6, 2014 3:35 PM

Review by Lauren O.:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: 1 star rating for the pills. 10 stars for the cream. I was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection and bacterial vaginitis simultaneously. I was prescribed the pill form of Flagyl for the bacterial vsginitis. I was very nauseous after beginning the course of Flagyl and within 24 hours I began vomiting profusely. I vomited/dry heaved every 2 hours for about 12 hours. Since I couldn't even keep down water, much less food or the pills, the vomiting subsided. I contacted my doctor first thing the following morning and she prescribed the Metronidazole Vaginal Cream. It worked amazingly well and cleared up the the bacterial vaginitis. I had a slight yeast infection following treatment that cleared up well with over the counter cream.

September 4, 2014 1:23 PM

Review by Selena101:

For Trichomoniasis: The taste is AWFUL. I gag thinking about it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate