User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance 3 reviews 25 medications

Intraabdominal Infection 1 reviews 56 medications

5.7
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 701 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "This medication works great, you can literally notice the difference after one dose, but I would much rather deal with the infection than ever take this medication again. Severe headaches, nausea, loss of appetite. Feeling like I got ran over by a train. Day 4 and I called it quits. My headaches were so bad I couldn't even sit up without assistance. Never again! Definitely will be asking for somethibg different next time around."

Brianne7309 May 26, 2016

For Diverticulitis: "I have had diverticulitis attacks 2 times/year for several years and have been successful treating it with Keflex or Cipro. For whatever reason my gastro MD added metronidazole in combo with Keflex this time. After 4 days I'm stoping the metronidazole because of side effects. Metronidazole did not ease the diverticulitis pain faster (still took 3 days for pain to subside) and it has made me tired, lethargic to the point of not even getting dressed. Pressure in my head and severe cramps. Im a high energy upbeat person and this droopy soul doesn't suit me. I'll stick to the Cipro, change up my probiotic and avoid flagyl in the future"

Ckitchen May 22, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Crohn's Disease, Maintenance: "Long time Crohn's after 5 small bowel resections I started getting bouts of intestinal bacteria that caused bloating, cramping and gas. This is the Only drug that helps. My GI now has me take it 2 times daily the first 5 days of each month which helps get the bacteria at bay. Hate the taste so take it with juice."

HeyJude18 May 21, 2016

For Giardiasis: "I returned from India and started having terrible diarrhea within a few days. It continued for two weeks before I went to the doctor. I lost 14 pounds in two weeks. The doctor also gave me cipro. Within 12 hours my diarrhea stopped and I started to feel better. To me this is a miracle drug. I am not sure how must longer I could have gone without being admitted to the hospital."

Dcuppluke1019 May 21, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Doctor diagnosed me with BV and gave me flagyl prescription: 2/ day 500 mg. I have just completed the fourth day. I noticed the symptoms of BV subside by the second day, and by day four the smell and rash are almost completely gone. I've been eating a lot of yogurt, drinking cranberry juice to deter UTI. I've had very little stomach pain, only after I eat dinner. The main side effect I have felt is a constant slight headache(nothing close to a migraine). I also get very fatigued after completing very simple tasks(I had to take a two hour nap after sorting through some of my clothes to donate). Taste is horrid, but I started gulping it down with a smoothie or coconut water, and that disguises it. Worth taking, despite the side effects."

Supaconducta (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I've been on this medication for 4 days, on the 3rd day my vision began getting blurry which caused a slight headache. Day 4 my vision is so blurred I can barely see. I began seeing white spots in my left eye only and now I have a migraine with light sensitivity. It's hard to work, walk or even have my eyes open. I agree with everyone else on here the taste is awful and it does work, but I would like to keep my vision. My Dr recommended I stopped taking it immediately until they find an alternative."

Anonymous May 16, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I'm on day 2 of a ten day treatment right now, and this has to be at least the 3rd time I've had to take these. They work really well. I'm just very prone to bv. A new partner, taking a bath, wrong underwear. .. can set it off. But MY GOSH I hate taking these things. Mainly because of the horrible taste in my mouth for the whole ten days I take them. I eat constantly in an attempt to get rid of the taste. I maybe get slightly nauseous for a lil bit if I take them on an empty stomach. Otherwise, not bad. But, too me, the taste in my mouth is horrible."

Bchristine89 (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

For Diverticulitis: "This drug should be banned from human use. It permanently disabled me by attacking my corpus callosum (middle brain) - the first time. I had t to resign from my federal job because I could no longer walk, talk, or write. After treatment at an acute rehab, I got C-diff and was prescribed more flagyl. I began to fall on my face. After several brush burns and other related issues I was in and out of the ER. Four years later, I am left with slurred speech, vision and heart issues. To date no one has taken responsibility for this drug."

Corpus Callosum May 16, 2016

For Clostridial Infection: "My rating is not on the medicine's efficacy as I am only halfway through. I just want to share the hellacious side effects that I have had on it. I literally want to die. Constant headache, fatigue, nausea, loss of appetite, and absolutely everything tastes terribly. Pharmacist recommended lots of gatorade to battle dehydration, but nothing helps. I'm determined to finish the 10 days to beat my infection, but I'm not sure I won't die before then (yes, some exaggeration, but I do feel terribly)."

Jordan Michael (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "On my last day after surgury. the pills do have an odd taste, and my stomach is upset occasionally, and i'm fatigued often after meals, but it seems to be working very well. pulse was raised a few times for no known reason, and a bit anxious, but other than that, seems to be working very well. 4 x 500 per day. I'm a relatively fit 250 lbs 50 year old male."

Bloort (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2016

For Diverticulitis: "I was put on Flagyl and Cipro for the next ten days. I have been on it for 2 days now and already feel a lot better - just tired. I felt as if I was run over by a truck before I started taking the medication. My pain felt more like contractions!! The pain has subsided quite a bit. Hopefully, by the end of ten days, I will be as good as new!! Good luck to everyone."

Lindroz (taken for less than 1 month) May 13, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "This medicine works well. Has a terrible taste, but got rid of the smell and my discharge is starting to look better. I am on day 5, and I have had a few symptoms. Spinning sensation, nausea, darkened urine, metallic and dry mouth, frequent bowel movements."

TJjjj (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Day 3 of medication and pretty much all BV Symptoms are gone. Thank god!! Hopefully I'll never need this again...once was enough! Fortunately, i did not experience horrible side effets...maybe just tiredness. I"

Nikkie9152 May 9, 2016

For Trichomoniasis: "The best thing to do with this medicine is to take it with applesauce"

Klassi (taken for less than 1 month) May 8, 2016

For Diverticulitis: "I was put on this medication for diverticulitis. Along with Cipro. I have been taking it for 7 days. I feel like I have been hit by a truck! No energy, sick to my stomach, diarrhea along with a feeling of never being able to get comfortable. I have 7 more days 3 times a day to go! I don't think I can do it! I feel absolutely miserable. Just left a message with the Dr to see what they say about stopping it."

teenie83 May 7, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I have taken metronidazole several times. The first time I took it for BV I had bad side effects. I got a huge rash between my thighs. I was sweating profusely. I had a fever twice during the week I was taking it. I was nauseous and felt horrible. I didn't finish it after getting a second fever. The second time I took it for BV I had none of the above. I felt fine and the BV went away quickly. I think this medicine is great. It actually helped me with my digestive problem at the same time. Even with a bad experience I would take it again."

Caramel1976 (taken for less than 1 month) May 7, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Im on day 4 of this medication. I have experienced no negative side effects besides a constant, dull headache. But the medication is definitely working so its worth it. Smell, gone. Itchiness, gone. Icky discharge, about 75% gone."

Fish35 May 6, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "After bouts of odor, discharge, and itching that I tried to rectify using OTC meds and natural remedies, I went to my OB/GYN and was diagnosed with BV. While this med has helped immensely, the SE are the reason I rated it 9. By day 3 the odor was not as strong (almost gone but I could still faintly smell it). From there things got better symptom wise, but as far as SE that's been hell from day one. Headaches, nausea, bloating, increased appetite which led to weight gain, looser stools, and overall tiredness are all of the issues I experienced taking the 500mg twice daily for a week prescription. Even though I missed dosage times occasionally due to the SE , I took the medicine and finished in 9 days. Next time I will get the gel. Not as bad"

LollipopLiquor (taken for less than 1 month) May 1, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Ill take bacterial vaginitis any day over feeling like Ive been hit by a pickup truck. My symptoms lessened after the first dose (500mg) so I am confident this med works, but the constant headaches, debilitating nausea and overall feeling of death have me throwing in the towel after day 2. I can't with it. I'm done."

Loafloaf1 (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "so far I haven't noticed a difference in my condition, I'm on the 4th day and I've had severe nausea and severe diarrhea. no appetite just the look of food makes me sick I thought I had a stomach bug u til I read other people's experiences with it. I hope it works for my infection I have but hopefully will never have to take this again it's brutal"

sam901 April 28, 2016

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Somehow I got diagnosed with trich. So far it has been the worst experience EVER!!! The pills are very very hard to take. Through out my whole day I'm very sick and Nauseous. I can barely function at work because the medicine is so terrible. Now, I'm not saying it doesn't work. Becaus it does. But the side effects Are very unbearable. But everyone is different and may react different. I can't even finish my whole bottle like they told me to. I'm on day 5. I'm tired of my loss of appetite, sickness, and loose stool. If I still have it when I go to the doctors tommarro they have to prescribe me with something different. Feels like hell."

Prettybug. (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2016

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "I'm shocked at how many people say the pill taste awful. I had the mega dosage (4 pills at once) and I just took a big sip of fruit punch, dropped the pill in the back of my throat and swallowed. Tasted nothing. You guys must be sucking them like peppermints. As far a symptoms, barely any. I did get a lil nausea here and there but no big deal. Pills seemed to work almost immediately."

SashaFierceMe April 27, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I took flagyl 2 weeks ago after a cervix operation I was fine .. I have been given metronidazole which is generic for flagyl & it's making me feel sick nauseas headaches I feel ill. I'm only on day 2. The actuall brand flagyl didn't make me feel like this & I crushed it had it with honey & a cup of milk before hand.. This one I'm dealing whole after food & I feel horrible . Don't know if I can finsih this course but after an operation you have to. Will never take this med again generic is worse ."

Bella g (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2016

For Trichomoniasis: "The doctor didn't tell me if I had Bacterial Vaginitis or Trichomoniasis, but he said that I can be cured from both using those pills. He gave me metronidazole in the form of vaginal suppositories, for 10 days every 24 hours and a cream. This is my second time with the treatment because the first time it didn't work. The first time, I used it for 7 days, and other pills that I don't remember the name but the experience was the same. This time I'm on the third day and I'm not having odor or a lot of fluids coming out, just the white one from the pills. But I saw today a green discharge and I'm worried because I feel like I'm not doing it right because I have to insert it with my fingers and I don't know if it goes all the way through."

Roxana21400 (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

For Trichomoniasis: "I have trich n I was put on the 4 pills at once of 500mg.I took it Thursday at noon.I was fine.I have to say the taste is not the best.put it way back on ur tongue drink water n swallow. don't start smacking ur tongue around thats what makes u taste it.so I took it went to work and around 9 I got nauseous I came n went .at 1130 at night I was very nauseous I just went to sleep.next day I noticed alot lesse itch n burn.absolutely no more nauseous.today sat is day two I feel good.again in not 100%clear bec occasionally I feel lil itch but I like this pill.also day one on pill I had a one time heavy discharge it was like the infection came out.for you that ask if u get the one time four pills of 500mg.u must take all four at once.trust me u be ok"

beautiful43 April 23, 2016