User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Pseudomembranous Colitis 1 reviews 11 medications

Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 280 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Metronidazole

Review by Bruvz (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diverticulitis: While they do the job as intended the Flagyl makes you sick and nauseous. Food and drink lose its taste and you can gag from just trying to swallow the pill. I was diagnosed with diverticulitis last year and spent 12 days in the hospital with a perforated colon. Luckily the meds did the job and kept me from having to get surgery which would have resulted in a colostomy bag for 4-6 months. This year I had some symptoms again and went to doctor right away. I got the meds again (Flagyl and Cipro 500 mg each twice a day). 48 hours in I am feeling better from the disease but not so much from the meds. To get past the taste of the pills on the way down I started taking it with a spoonful of honey.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2014 2:33 PM

Review by Elena7:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I experienced a couple of side effects: metallic taste in mouth, sore throat, abdominal pain, loose stools, headache, nausea, lethargy, decreased appetite, AND a yeast infection at day 5! Side effects aside, this stuff works. All symptoms of bacterial vaginitis disappeared by day 2. Take some probiotics while taking this and hopefully you can avoid a yeast infection. Felt like the longest week of my life. I need a drink (you have to avoid alcohol on this).

September 6, 2014 3:35 PM

Review by Lauren O.:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: 1 star rating for the pills. 10 stars for the cream. I was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection and bacterial vaginitis simultaneously. I was prescribed the pill form of Flagyl for the bacterial vsginitis. I was very nauseous after beginning the course of Flagyl and within 24 hours I began vomiting profusely. I vomited/dry heaved every 2 hours for about 12 hours. Since I couldn't even keep down water, much less food or the pills, the vomiting subsided. I contacted my doctor first thing the following morning and she prescribed the Metronidazole Vaginal Cream. It worked amazingly well and cleared up the the bacterial vaginitis. I had a slight yeast infection following treatment that cleared up well with over the counter cream.

September 4, 2014 1:23 PM

Review by Selena101:

For Trichomoniasis: The taste is AWFUL. I gag thinking about it.

September 4, 2014 1:52 AM

Review by suequill1 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diverticulitis: I was hospitalized with diverticulitis for 5 days, previously I was treated with Levaquin and another antibiotic, not sure of the name. After having an allergic reaction to Levaquin, I was given Flagyl. Immediately, I started having watery diarrhea which made me weak, I could not eat or smell anything without nausea. I told my doctor but he kept it up. After a day on intravenous Flagyl, I was throwing up green and diarrhea was also green. I could not leave the room because I could not get any distance from the toilet. Still they continued to pump the Flagyl in and I got sicker and sicker. Finally, I begged my doctor to let me go home because the diverticulitis was gone because I had taken 10 days of Cipro before being admitted.

August 23, 2014 12:13 AM

Review by karsheeda:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Like everyone else, I've ignored the symptoms for a couple months but you just get over the discharge and smell and all you want is to get rid of it. I have the 5 day dose 3 times a day. The dosage is really really affordable. By day 2 all the smell and discharge had disappeared. Weird thing is, on day 2 I had some weird reaction where my eyes had this sticky feeling and had some white like substance the following morning. Dehydration, and lack of sleep are the other side effects I have experienced. Besides that, its working wonders and I'm just glad to be over with the infection and vile medicine in a couple days. FYI: thanks for letting me know I should wait a few days before drinking alcohol. Wish you all the best.

August 22, 2014 5:26 PM

Review by symptom free:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: After reading some of the reviews on this medication I was a little afraid so I held on to the medicine for a week until I begin to take it. My experience has been good so far and this is day 5. I'm not a person who can swallow pills so like grandmom use to do, I smash them to crumbles and take with applesauce. My symptoms went away on day 2.

August 21, 2014 11:08 AM

Review by WORD OR ADVICE!:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I get bacterial vaginitis quite often, 5-6 times a year. I'm taking the pill now and I was given some NEW advice from the pharmacist! The instructions on the bottle say DO NOT drink alcohol, however I was told that even USING products that contain an alcohol ingredient can give you horrible rashes and hives. So just a word of caution, invest in some regular Dove soap alcohol and sulfate free lotion and put your pretty perfumes and lotions on the shelf for a little over a week!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 18, 2014 1:55 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I seem to get bacterial vaginitis often, about 2-3 times a year. I tried Flagyl in the pill form and vaginal gel on different occasions. For me, they both clear up the infection by the 3rd day. The only difference is, I do not experience side effects with the vaginal gel, but with the pill I experience stomach cramps and fatigue.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 15, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by BabyyCakes:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I cover my pill with peanut butter completely & then take it. That nasty taste doesn't get in your mouth. If I don't do that then I feel like I'm going to spit it right back up. Just thought I would share that.

August 14, 2014 5:33 PM

Review by SharkWeek405 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Trichomoniasis: I had to take a one time dose of 4 500mg capsules. About two hours after taking the dose I had noticed I was feeling extremely tired. I was driving and decided to make my way home. So I wouldn't recommend driving. About 4 hours after, I felt a lot of nausea and general flu like symptoms. I felt like I needed to sleep but was unable to fall asleep. These symptoms were not unbearable. Its been 3 days since I've taken this medication and I still have minor side effects lingering. I have been having great sleeps, random nausea, vivid dreams and random bouts of fatigue. ALL of my symptoms from trichomoniasis have disappeared so I would recommend this medication.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2014 4:16 PM

Review by Tonya18:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I think it works. Yes it does clear up the bacterial vaginitis. However I have terrible back pain. Joint pains, headache, awful taste in mouth. Been 5 days on metronidazole for the first time and these side effects mostly have me in bed. I am 18 and anemic. I like the fact that I smell better already. Hate that each day if taking this medicine, feels like the first day of my period. Except that I am not having my period.. Good thing its only a few days 2 to go.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2014 7:19 PM

Review by hurtinglikeheck (taken for less than 1 month):

For Clostridial Infection: I have been taking metronidazole 500mcg 3 times daily for 7 days for C-Dif. The side effects are awful, stiff neck, painful urination, back, leg, hip, knee, ankle and overall joint pain are terrible. I reported this to my MD, who encouraged me to keep taking the med for 10 days to be sure the c-diff infection is gone. So, I am still taking it. Right now, I only hope that once i manage 10 more pills, that the pain and hurt will go away. This is without a doubt a very toxic medication and not much you can do except take it anyway..... Can someone out there let me know if the joint pain goes away after you quit taking this stuff? Is there something that I can do to avoid permanent joint damage?

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2014 4:25 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I just took my first dose last night after I ate a 'hearty' meal (as advised by the pharmacist), and already this morning the smell is gone. As well as most of the discharge, yay. I started noticing the smell about two weeks ago (to me, literally the worst smell I have ever smelt on myself) and am going on vacation soon so I figured it was not going away on it's own. I have to take it 2x/day 500mg for 7 days. Lunch and Dinner.

July 23, 2014 11:46 AM

Review by Steph08 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I also had the problem with the Bacterial Vaginosis (BV). I was so ashamed because of the horrible smell and discharge. I also had problems with the smell escaping my clothing and was so embarrassed to be around anyone. I am now taking metronidazole and it has worked wonders. No smell, no discharge or itching. I had no side effects. So thankful this medication is available! Saved my life!

July 22, 2014 3:50 PM

Review by Ash101:

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: Prescribed with this 500mg medication for a seven day period, taking twice per day every 12 hrs. The pill is disgusting so don't just grab any drink to take it with. Put fluid(water) in your mouth first as if your about to gargle and tilt your head back and push the pill through your lips and it will float towards your throat so just swallow and your done. My mistake was taking it with lemonade. It seemed as if there was an irruption of the pill in my mouth. I have 4 days to go and the side effects have decreased which were chest pain, the shits, fatigue, butt numbness, hot flashes & tingling extremities. My vaginal odor is gone already.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 3:55 PM

Review by Ocean Eyes (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Infection: I feel horrible. I have one more day left (I was prescribed Metronidazole intravaginally for five days) and amen to that. Although it has worked wonders and gotten rid of an infection I've had for years and could never completely eradicate, these side effects are HORRIBLE. I've been dizzy, have had terrible headaches, eye pain, aches all over my body, absolutely no appetite (I'm repulsed by any food!), when I force myself to eat I get sick immediately after, gnawing stomach pains, pressure-like back pains, pain in my actual ovaries, grogginess, constantly tired but sleeping is beyond difficult (I somehow managed four hours last night), when I do sleep it's not refreshing at all, and exercising is practically impossible.

July 13, 2014 6:35 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Had terrible smell and had discharge constantly. After the second day on antibiotics it went away! But once during the 10 day period I had sex, so please follow directions NO SEX because you will ruin the treatment and will have to start over.

July 10, 2014 12:16 AM

Review by AnnaBellea:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I randomly developed a foul discharge, went to the doctor right away and she prescribed me this medicine to take two times a day for seven days. It does work but the side effect for me have been TERRIBLE. Day 1 I couldn't sleep, and every day after that I've been sick to my stomach as well as drowsy. On the bright side it works.

July 8, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by alleycat09:

For Trichomoniasis: Chase it with strong Garlic hummus...works great!!

July 8, 2014 12:56 AM

Review by tezza471 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Dental Abscess: Like a previous reviewer, I was given metronidazole (3 x 200mg daily) for a tooth abscess after amoxycillin failed to clear the infection. Within 48 hours, as well as easing pain from the abscess, my Chronic Fatigue symptoms almost totally disappeared! After 7 years of believing that there was no hope of treatment I felt I had been given my life back again! Keen to investigate this further, my husband stumbled on the review by baroness 140, on 23 Feb 2014. We were stunned by the similarities. I received14 days treatment with metronidazole to allow for extraction of the tooth. I wait to see if the reprieve from CFS will continue.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2014 1:02 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Dental Abscess: Insomnia was the only really troubling side effect for me. Slight metallic taste in mouth around day 3, but was gone in 24 hrs. Mild diarrhea, stomach was a bit more acidic than usual but nothing I couldn't deal with. Always took with full meal, had NO ALCOHOL (even mouthwash with alcohol is too much on this med re: pharmacist) and took with Gatorade (helps with bad taste). Be gentle with your body on this med. I found that not having caffeine, any NSAIDs (ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, etc.) or anything harsh on the stomach works best. DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL while on this med - EVEN 1 DRINK. I had already tried 1 course of penicillin and 1 course of amoxicillin before this med, neither worked - 6 days on this, jaw pain & swelling is gone!

July 6, 2014 12:45 PM

Review by Ray333117953:

For Bacterial Infection: I was on Flagyl for a week and it seemed like the longest week ever! The pill is very effective but it tastes HORRIBLE! I'm so glad today was my last day

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 11:02 PM

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I have taken this medicine and it does work. I'd advice a person to take it while at home with food because it may upset your stomach and cause you to go to bathroom. It leaves a metal taste in my mouth and alters the taste of food on the first day. After the first 2 days I was fine and symptoms cleared instantly. But continue the whole dosage to reassure infection is gone.

June 26, 2014 2:59 AM

Review by Traude (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: Most horrible side effects: Bitter taste in mouth even hours after administration, balance problems, confusion, surroundings seem unreal, like walking in a dream ( not a good one) concentration problems, general malaise, not able to eat anything but oatmeal and mashed potatoes. Extreme weight loss. Had to stop after 11 doses. Stomach worse then before. I have to add that I also had Amoxicillin and Protonix at the same time, maybe the combination was at fault for this extreme reaction.

June 19, 2014 7:57 PM