User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Pseudomembranous Colitis 1 reviews 11 medications

Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 313 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Metronidazole

Review by Selz (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I sympathize with those who had to prolong their treatment in the course of 5 days, I on the other hand and thankfully at that was prescribed only a single dose of 5 tablets of Metronidazole. Quick and easy. Make sure you eat before you take it though and I find if you hydrate yourself you less likely to feel nauseous. I've had recurrent bacterial vaginitis so I know what I'm talking about.

January 19, 2015 1:52 PM

Review by KL23:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: This works every single time I have bacterial vaginitis.

January 12, 2015 9:15 AM

Review by bad taste gone:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Want to say I tried the dipping pill in olive oil , was awesome. No bad taste what so ever. Swallowed very easily.

January 11, 2015 7:28 PM

Review by Anonymous134:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I took this twice a day for 7 days, and have never felt so sick on a medication. I had severe headaches, bloating, constant nausea, aches and pains all over. As many others have mentioned, it tastes rancid unless you're really proficient at throwing it into the back of your throat and chugging it down immediately- even in a second, the taste stuck to the back of my throat and made me gag. A couple other really important notes -- this medication lowered both my liver function (hence no alcohol while you're on it! They mean it) AND my platelet count... So I was getting nose bleeds, bruises and some fairly alarming vaginal bleeding while on it as well.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 31, 2014 10:42 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Clostridial Infection: I was on this medication twice a day for ten days for C. diff infection. I just finished my last round today and wanted to give a review. I have experienced nearly every side effect possible. Terrible nausea, dizziness, tingling sensations in my legs, and insomnia. They were the worst the first few days on the medicine, however, all of my C. diff symptoms have done away and I feel much better. I'm giving it a 9 since it was effective, but the side effects were bad. It is a tough medicine to take, but I do recommend it as the side effects will go away and it will relieve the symptoms of C. diff.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2014 10:25 PM

Review by Jabroni (taken for less than 1 month):

For Dental Abscess: Prescribed with amoxycillin, I have sore joints, am weaker than normal, have the most intense and beefy (flows like liquid but there's more oomph to it than normal) diarrhea, but the swelling in my jaw is dwindling rapidly after day 3 of a 7 day course. It's worth the side effects for me, especially since the diarrhea is almost enjoyable because of the sheer novelty of it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2014 5:23 PM

Review by caaaaats:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I've been having this odor for quite few months and some discharge. I just started taking the meds last night and this morning I didn't have any odor or discharge but I took 4 500 mg and will continue the 2 x a day till my meds are finished. Its working.

December 16, 2014 9:31 AM

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: I take it with a banana so I can't taste it, no effects except for headaches.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 14, 2014 11:41 PM

Review by blueblondie50:

For Bacterial Infection: I made the mistake of not reading about the side effects before taking this medication. I took my first pill at night and was up all night with stomach cramps and diarrhea. It was so bad I thought I had food poisoning. By the second day I had no appetite and the cramping and bloating in my stomach was unbelievable. It was at this time that I started reading the side effects and realized this was indeed a bad side effect. I too was so happy when my last day arrived to take mylast pill. And although I also experienced an awful taste in my mouth after taking this pill, that was the least of my complaints as all the other side effects were worse. Good luck taking this medication

December 14, 2014 7:02 AM

Review by Ray j:

For Diverticulitis: Its ironic that Flagyl used to be given to alcoholics so they couldn't absorb alcohol in the liver causing terrible discomfort. Both meds Cipro and Flagyl work very well. Just take them separately and with some yogurt.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2014 11:35 AM

Review by I'm an RN:

For Diverticulitis: I find my experience to be the exact opposite of those I've read here! I had a terrible reaction to Cipro last year...vomiting, diarrhea, severe abdominal pain. Refused it this week when I developed diverticulitis. I'm taking Flagyl and clindamycin combination with absolutely zero side effects. I plan to start yogurt tomorrow as diet progresses.

December 7, 2014 1:27 PM

Review by Carly.j19:

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: After being prescribed these for a pelvic infection I was worried about potential side effects. I have been taking them twice a day for just over a week now but haven't had any sickness or nausea I am happy to report. I have however noticed a metallic taste in my mouth, a bit of a numb tongue, change in taste, and the first few days I felt a tad dizzy like I was recovering from a hangover. I have also noticed an increase in my fluid intake and bowel movements, although nothing unpleasant.

December 6, 2014 8:36 AM

Review by Coleaus:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Did a great job clearing the infection within days, however you have to drink water and eat before taking it. I had nausea and vomiting for hours after taking it when I didn't have a full meal on my stomach.

December 5, 2014 5:19 PM

Review by Diverticulitis boy (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: Flagyl leaves a bad taste in my mouth after a couple of days, makes my urine smell bad, and causes nausea (so get some anti nausea meds along with it). That being said - it does the job very well. Noticeable improvement within 1--3 days.

December 3, 2014 10:20 PM

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I am currently taking this antibiotic, I am on day five. I honestly can't wait until it is over. I am an athlete in college and I can say that ever since taking this it has affected my performance. I also wish I would have started this earlier because it has me extremely tired and fatigue and this is FINALS week. I get constant headaches, awful taste left in my mouth all day, don't really have much of an appetite either. I've also been having horrible abdominal pain that sometimes aren't tolerable. I really do hate the side effects but I will go through this if it will make me better. The discharge as well as foul smell has gone away, which is what motivates me to keep taking this. I have only two more days to go. wish me luck!!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2014 1:10 PM

Review by PRS_118:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Taking this 2x per day (every 12 hours) for 1 week straight while eating or with milk. I've experience abdominal cramps on the lower left side, some nausea (but not all the time), and definitely have had the gross, metallic taste in my mouth whenever I take it. On day 4, and discharge/smell seems to be gone. I've noticed that I barely notice the taste if I drink some milk before, then tilt my headback and let the pill drop, and then more milk until I don't feel/taste it anymore. I've even accidentally bit the pill when I was eating milk and cereal, and while it made me want to vomit for a split second, the taste was completely gone as soon as I washed it down with milk. Never taking this without milk again.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 25, 2014 2:23 PM

Review by tinknwolf (taken for less than 1 month):

For Diverticulitis: This is my first time with a Flagyl and Cipro combination. It's been 3 days and so nauseous and the lethargy is awful. I'm not sure I can continue the combination but I will be calling the doctor Monday morning. And I do have Zofran. These side effects are terrible.

November 23, 2014 5:39 AM

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Only on day 2 so I'm not sure if work yet. But to get minimize the awful taste I dip the pill in olive oil then swallow it. Hides the bad taste!

November 18, 2014 12:20 AM

Review by pmva:

For Bacterial Infection: My last day on metronidazole, hooray. Am so glad I found this thread. I have felt horrible for the whole week. Took it for bacterial vaginitis , given by my obgyn. First two days were okay. Then had really bad diarrhea and rumbling sensations in tummy. No appetite, dizzy, felt so sick after taking it, no appetite and my urine was brown. I didn't wanna stop the course though because it cleared up my infection. I just wish we were told of the side effects.

November 13, 2014 9:50 AM

Review by dieHarder (taken for less than 1 month):

For Dental Abscess: The medicine is on my 3rd day, taken 3 pills daily, pain on my right side of my stomach, like stabbing pains, dry mouth, whole body is weak, can't get to sleep, loss of appetite, so far so good, but the side effects are bugging me.

November 13, 2014 9:25 AM

For Deep Neck Infection: Used alongside Benzylpenicillin to treat a Peritonsillar Abscess (abscess around the tonsil) caused by MRSA infection and anaerobic bacteria. Was on Intravenous Drip when in hospital with no side effects. Now on oral 400mg with some side effects; nausea, tiredness, metallic taste. It is working well to treat infection. I recommend to anyone who gets PTA

November 12, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by Kay1212:

For Dental Abscess: After having blood blister that was black burst in my mouth by an abscess tooth I felt really ill eventually I went to the dentist who put me on this medicine, one thing I will say it's very very very strong! And as I don't normally take medication really, it knocked me out! I had broken sleep, waking up every few hours or so tingling in my hands, very bad dizziness and nausea, constipation, coating of my tongue anxiety as I'm mentally ill and very spaced out and feeling medicated. Had no Choice though either I took it or ended up in hospital! Last day taking it today and hoping and praying the infection is cleared up.

November 12, 2014 3:33 AM

Review by lonski:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: I ended up in the ER with diverticulitis and was given Cipro and Flagyl. Yes the taste is bitter and things don't taste so good. However, despite the taste, I have gotten significantly better with the two medicines and that is the main thing for me. As with any medicines some of us will experience different side effects if any, but if this is one of them, this is very minor. I did not experience the nausea or a lot of other ones I read about with these medicines.

November 9, 2014 5:07 PM

Review by CNored:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Works well, but the taste is horrible. I'm taking them twice a day for a week. For the first couple of days, I had diarrhea very bad and after taking the medication, I ended up with a yeast infection. So, I had to treat that as well with a 7 day cream.

October 21, 2014 3:36 PM

Review by sla83838:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: This worked wonders for me. Always cleared up my bacterial vaginosis!

October 21, 2014 1:38 AM