User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance 0 reviews 23 medications

Peritonitis 0 reviews 72 medications Not rated - Be the first
Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 50 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 449 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Dental Abscess: "day 3 of taking this and the worst pain is gone although my jaw really aches where my tooth needs to be removed I have had no side effects but that maybe due to the fact I take pantoprazole to protect my stomach for other medication I have to take"

alansgirl80 September 2, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "This is my second time on Flagyl. I am on a 10 day course of it 2x daily for a bacterial infection in my stomach. Other than some gas pains I have had no bad side effects. There is a lot of bad things on "Dr. Google" and I have to refrain from googling things as they tend to make some feel the symptoms... to me Flagyl has worked and I hope everyone finds a medicine that will help them..Flagyl or not"

Stace1 August 30, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "HORRIBLE!!! I had numbness/tingling my skin felt like it was crawling I got really irritable and had a seizure! If you have ANY unusual but serious side effects call your doctor! I have heard of other cases of people having seizures on this medication."

suburbanwife August 29, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "Prescribed this for BV infection. On the second day I started to feel like I had the flu! Terrible stomach cramps, nausea, diarrhea, runny/stuffy nose, tightness in my nasal passages-making my eyes feel tight, extreme fatigue, weakness, aches, chills and finally headaches with dizziness! No exaggeration here (I think it affects people differently) this was some nasty stuff for me! I thought I was going to have to go back to the doctor until I read about these side affects, at one point I felt so awful I thought I was going to have to go to the ER! Overall, I mean the BV infection IS gone and I'm still kickin'. lol Best advice was to EAT something when you take the pill...chicken noodle soup & crackers was my go to that helped!"

the jabberwocky (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "The first 2 days I felt very tired and sleepy and a little nauseated but the remaining course of the medication I was normal. I did take the medication twice a day (each time with a meal), drank plenty of water, and avoided all alcohol. It does leave a sour taste for a while but usually gum aids in removing the bitterness. The drug does work effectively though.. My symptoms of BV were gone within day 2! Good luck!!!"

It Works August 26, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I'm currently taking this medication to treat a bv infection. I'm starting day five out of seven and am experiencing intense side effects as listed by most of the women here. Weird painful headaches, nausea, diarrhea, sharp stomach pains... After reading the precautions, I question how safe it really is. Apparently it's been known to cause cancer in mice and rats. I want to stick it out to the end but am miserable so will call my Dr in morning to ask."

caseofthebv (taken for less than 1 month) August 26, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I hate the medication. Due to the fact, it makes me so sick to the stomach, and I get so dehydrated. Because, everything I try to drink taste like the medication, and my stomach is very sensitive to food. But, I have to say the medication does work."

Anonymous August 25, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I'm on my 3rd day of taking this anti biotic to treat my BV and the symptoms of BV have decreased but the side effects are horrible! I can't look at food! The thought of food makes me want to puke! I am nauseous all the time! And I keep getting this metallic weird taste in my mouth which won't go and keeps me up at night. Really feel the need to be sick 24/7. Just can't wait for my 7 day course to be over! But overall it's a good medication!"

Rrrrrrru (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2015

For Dental Abscess: "Prescribed Metronidazole 200mg three times a day for 5 days alongside Amoxicillin 250mg same dose. After 24 hours the horrific pain in my tooth has gone and aside from a dizzy spell yesterday have not noticed any side effects. Also taking ibuprofen for the pain but have cut back on that now that it's gone. So glad to be feeling normal again! Have not drunk any alcohol as advised by dentist."

Ktjohn13 (taken for less than 1 month) August 25, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I was prescribed 500mg. Started of okay I had no side effects. But i did notice a lot of discharge. I did not have that before but it cleared up in 3 days. On the 5th day I took the pill with very little food. The nausea and gagging I experienced was awful. I was at my friends house and had to throw up twice. ( how embarrassing) I'm on day 6 now. The symptoms cleared. I took the pill again today with more food and milk. Hopefully I wont puke again."

Tammmmmy August 23, 2015

For Clostridial Infection: "I'm on day 6 of 10 for C-diff and don't feel there is much of an improvement. The taste is horrible! I've had the worst anxiety attacks from this along with daily headaches. I think I could sleep all day and night with this stuff. I'm hoping I start to feel better soon"

Yaitsmeagain August 22, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I stared taking this drug for BV, even though I didn't really have symptoms of it but my doctor tested me and it was present. I had HORRIBLE diarrhea, nausea, back pain, and tiredness. I would take it with a full meal and bread everytime but my stomach was still upset. I am on my 4th day out of 8 and I hope I can handle taking the rest of the pills. Take with a huge meal and lots of bread or crackers and hope it doesn't make you sick!"

Anonymous August 22, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "was put on flagyl and cipro for 1 week. I'm light-headed and only want to sleep! Nauseous and my mouth tastes awful. I am glad to read all of these posts and I thought I was getting a secondary sinus infection. MY last pills were on a monday and today, wednesday I still feel 'in the clouds'."

steph659 August 19, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "When I took this, I think the infection went away for a while. I ate plain yogurt with it . I think I was on 2 pills for a week. The reason I am giving it 5/10 is because the taste was terrible. I don't try to taste pills, especially tablets. I try to down them as quickly as possible, but as soon as this anti biotic hit my tongue, it began dissolving and I was hit with a taste from hell! I had to stop myself from crying when I took it in 'public' in a car. The taste is really hard to get rid of, too! It is literally the worst thing I've ever tasted! Anything but this in pill form. That was the only "side effect" apart from looking pregnant (bloating)."

Uggh (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed 3 400mg tablets a day orally for a week. I am now on my 7th day and the only symptoms I experienced was tiredness on one day but that may of been from the medication. For women who are worried about the nausea and vomiting, I think the reason I did not experience that was because I never missed a dose where I didn't eat with a substantial amount of food close to a meal. Make sure you eat when you take it and not just a snack! Also try and regulate the times you take them everyday , try and make it around the same time. The smell went about day 3! Hope you all get treated and your issue resolves!"

Peatane33 (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "A horror show! My bacteria infection cleared up but each day I felt perpetual nauseousness. I was constantly dizzy and for the first time in my life I think I understand what vertigo and dying feels like. I had so many mood swings I put bi-polar patients, menopausal women, and overly induced hormonal teenage girls to shame. It was bitter experience to the point I felt incredibly emotional but dead inside at the same time. I was constantly mad at my significant other for no apparent reason and tried to call the relationship off until I realized after the medication wore off, I still very much cared for him. Medication worked but would be better used as a lesson to teach abstinence to prevent ever having sex. That's how I got the infection."

ChanceAgain August 13, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "At first I thought everyone was over exaggerating about the side effects but I definitely experienced Nausea, headaches, threw up once but just a little bit. Also, everything I ate was disgusting to me. The taste was definitely bitter, but I prefer the bitter taste oppose to the side effects that I've experienced. Overall the product WORKS !!!! It cleared everything away like a charm. Just prepare yourself for the worse."

Deelicious (taken for less than 1 month) August 12, 2015

For Helicobacter Pylori Infection: "Had severe pressure in my chest and thought I maybe having a more serious underlying health problem, so ended up going to Dr who in turn immediately wanted to rule out a Pulmanary Embolism (blood clot in lungs) due to symptoms and blood work that showed elevated levels of a D-Dimer test. So she sent me immediately over to ER to have CT and Chest X-ray completed. The ER doctor saw me and ran his usual self examination of me with my symptoms and come to find out I have H-Pylori, bacterial infection in my stomach. Gave me Flagyl 3x daily and Doxycycline 2 daily along with pepto and Prilosec. I'm on day 4 and my side effects are Severe Bloating, chest pain , and just feeling not myself. The taste is awful, but the cramping is worse."

Praying it helps! (taken for less than 1 month) August 8, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I got diagnosed with bacterial vaginitis & got prescribed these pills. I'm on my second day of taking them, I never had symptoms in the first place so I don't feel any different except for the fact that on the first day (stupid me) I took my first dose on an empty stomach and got sick about 2 hours later, the next day when I took my second pill I made sure I ate it with a meal and some water and got no side effects what so ever except for flatulence and a metallic taste in my mouth. So I suggest taking this medication with food! My pharmacist never told me to do so and its a must with this antibiotic."

thissucks12324 August 7, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Very good for taking care of BV symptoms quickly. I was prescribed to 500 mg twice a day. The pill can not be taken on an empty stomach or you most and like will have bad symptoms. Also be sure not to drink alcohol. Don't get me wrong the taste is bitter... Yuck. So I take it with yogurt which can and drink milk to get it down."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 7, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "This was a nasty pill!!! The taste is so bitter!!!! But it works, disadvantage I experience was the dizziness and headaches!!! Oh my but the smell has dissipated and dull achy feeling in abdomen."

Sas86 August 6, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I think the medication does what it's supposed to do. However I did experience a couple of noticeable side effects. I had diarrhea every day that I took the pills (2 times a day for 7 days) and it also made my urine very dark...almost a brown color. But those are both side effects that are listed for the medications so I wasn't too alarmed by them. Wish the medication came in a one day coated tablet! If you don't take enough fluid with them and it just so happens to touch your taste buds YUCK! Other than that no complaints"

GirlWithBV (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I actually like the medication. My first time having BV. I noticed a smell.. I'm on day 4 with the pills & I have not had any bad symptoms. Might be a little sleepy more than usual, but it not bad. I recommend this pill. The smell is gone! which is GREAT!"

SheLovesMinnesota (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Prescribed 500 mg three times a day for 7 days. The side effects for me were absolutely awful. I could barely function. Went down to 500mg twice a day. I am so miserable. No energy, intense headaches, extreme nausea, pelvic pain, I'm sweating all of the time. My urine it orange and I've had diarrhea since the first night. And I can't even begin to describe the taste it left in my mouth. I could eat a big meal, pop my pills and gag for hours, would wake up with such a metallic taste I would puke middle of the night. I'll admit, they worked great. My odor and itch was gone by day 2. I'm on day 4 and because of the side effects, unsure if I can continue."

Disruptivevagina (taken for less than 1 month) August 2, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I would HIGHLY recommend against taking these pills. I took them and had a very bad reaction to them. Not only did my bv come back about a week later, but i developed some facial discoloration that has lasted about five months. If you do have bv, take medication vaginally, NOT the pills."

SaraGT (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2015