User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Pseudomembranous Colitis 1 reviews 11 medications

Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 54 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 267 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Metronidazole

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I just took my first dose last night after I ate a 'hearty' meal (as advised by the pharmacist), and already this morning the smell is gone. As well as most of the discharge, yay. I started noticing the smell about two weeks ago (to me, literally the worst smell I have ever smelt on myself) and am going on vacation soon so I figured it was not going away on it's own. I have to take it 2x/day 500mg for 7 days. Lunch and Dinner.

July 23, 2014 11:46 AM

Review by Steph08 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I also had the problem with the Bacterial Vaginosis (BV). I was so ashamed because of the horrible smell and discharge. I also had problems with the smell escaping my clothing and was so embarrassed to be around anyone. I am now taking metronidazole and it has worked wonders. No smell, no discharge or itching. I had no side effects. So thankful this medication is available! Saved my life!

July 22, 2014 3:50 PM

Review by Ash101:

For Pelvic Inflammatory Disease: Prescribed with this 500mg medication for a seven day period, taking twice per day every 12 hrs. The pill is disgusting so don't just grab any drink to take it with. Put fluid(water) in your mouth first as if your about to gargle and tilt your head back and push the pill through your lips and it will float towards your throat so just swallow and your done. My mistake was taking it with lemonade. It seemed as if there was an irruption of the pill in my mouth. I have 4 days to go and the side effects have decreased which were chest pain, the shits, fatigue, butt numbness, hot flashes & tingling extremities. My vaginal odor is gone already.

July 16, 2014 3:55 PM

Review by Ocean Eyes (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Infection: I feel horrible. I have one more day left (I was prescribed Metronidazole intravaginally for five days) and amen to that. Although it has worked wonders and gotten rid of an infection I've had for years and could never completely eradicate, these side effects are HORRIBLE. I've been dizzy, have had terrible headaches, eye pain, aches all over my body, absolutely no appetite (I'm repulsed by any food!), when I force myself to eat I get sick immediately after, gnawing stomach pains, pressure-like back pains, pain in my actual ovaries, grogginess, constantly tired but sleeping is beyond difficult (I somehow managed four hours last night), when I do sleep it's not refreshing at all, and exercising is practically impossible.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2014 6:35 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Had terrible smell and had discharge constantly. After the second day on antibiotics it went away! But once during the 10 day period I had sex, so please follow directions NO SEX because you will ruin the treatment and will have to start over.

July 10, 2014 12:16 AM

Review by AnnaBellea:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I randomly developed a foul discharge, went to the doctor right away and she prescribed me this medicine to take two times a day for seven days. It does work but the side effect for me have been TERRIBLE. Day 1 I couldn't sleep, and every day after that I've been sick to my stomach as well as drowsy. On the bright side it works.

July 8, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by alleycat09:

For Trichomoniasis: Chase it with strong Garlic hummus...works great!!

July 8, 2014 12:56 AM

Review by tezza471 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Dental Abscess: Like a previous reviewer, I was given metronidazole (3 x 200mg daily) for a tooth abscess after amoxycillin failed to clear the infection. Within 48 hours, as well as easing pain from the abscess, my Chronic Fatigue symptoms almost totally disappeared! After 7 years of believing that there was no hope of treatment I felt I had been given my life back again! Keen to investigate this further, my husband stumbled on the review by baroness 140, on 23 Feb 2014. We were stunned by the similarities. I received14 days treatment with metronidazole to allow for extraction of the tooth. I wait to see if the reprieve from CFS will continue.

July 6, 2014 1:02 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Dental Abscess: Insomnia was the only really troubling side effect for me. Slight metallic taste in mouth around day 3, but was gone in 24 hrs. Mild diarrhea, stomach was a bit more acidic than usual but nothing I couldn't deal with. Always took with full meal, had NO ALCOHOL (even mouthwash with alcohol is too much on this med re: pharmacist) and took with Gatorade (helps with bad taste). Be gentle with your body on this med. I found that not having caffeine, any NSAIDs (ibuprofen, aspirin, naproxen, etc.) or anything harsh on the stomach works best. DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL while on this med - EVEN 1 DRINK. I had already tried 1 course of penicillin and 1 course of amoxicillin before this med, neither worked - 6 days on this, jaw pain & swelling is gone!

July 6, 2014 12:45 PM

Review by Ray333117953:

For Bacterial Infection: I was on Flagyl for a week and it seemed like the longest week ever! The pill is very effective but it tastes HORRIBLE! I'm so glad today was my last day

June 30, 2014 11:02 PM

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I have taken this medicine and it does work. I'd advice a person to take it while at home with food because it may upset your stomach and cause you to go to bathroom. It leaves a metal taste in my mouth and alters the taste of food on the first day. After the first 2 days I was fine and symptoms cleared instantly. But continue the whole dosage to reassure infection is gone.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 26, 2014 2:59 AM

Review by Traude (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Helicobacter Pylori Infection: Most horrible side effects: Bitter taste in mouth even hours after administration, balance problems, confusion, surroundings seem unreal, like walking in a dream ( not a good one) concentration problems, general malaise, not able to eat anything but oatmeal and mashed potatoes. Extreme weight loss. Had to stop after 11 doses. Stomach worse then before. I have to add that I also had Amoxicillin and Protonix at the same time, maybe the combination was at fault for this extreme reaction.

June 19, 2014 7:57 PM

Review by UNKOWN CHICA:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: My obgyn prescribed this for me and today makes three days and I can tell that it very effective quick . I had a strong smell and used to hate having sex with my boyfriend because of the odor . Normally I'm wet with clear but it has been clumpy and white . Hanging around my friends I had to drench myself in perfume because the smell would trespass through my clothes and I would be embarrassed . I had this issue for quite some months close to a year . I thought it was a I'm here and I'll go away soon type of thing . Overall love the pill I had no side effects just eat before you take it.

June 16, 2014 12:52 AM

Review by Sickly sweet (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: Had an odor for about a year before being diagnosed after the discharge got heavy. The smell penetrated everything I wore and ranged from fishy to sickly sweet and metallic. I've been taking the pills twice daily for six days and I'm fairly certain my symptoms are gone! Awful taste that stays with you all day though.

June 12, 2014 2:24 AM

Review by Uptownchic (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I was experiencing crazy discharge with no odour or other symptoms. Just watery discharge. Within hours of taking this medicine the discharge stopped. I'm so happy!

June 6, 2014 10:42 PM

Review by Cazter101:

For Dental Abscess: Effective to a point but had most awful side effects, including nausea, diarrhea, numb tingling over abdomen, arm neck and back (all down one side) headaches, dizziness, weakness and fatigue.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 8:18 AM

Review by Gross and over it:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I have had bacterial vaginitis for over a year now, experiencing a multitude of odors - sometimes fishy, sometimes sweet, sometimes metallic. Also dealt with the uncomfortable discharge that requires panty liners and constant underwear changing. I got the 7-day pill supply, 500 mg, 2X/day. I am currently on my final day. The odor cleared up almost instantly, and the discharge was gone by the time I was taking the 2nd pill! Oh, and side effects were minimal and very tolerable! However, yesterday (6th day) I had a massive clump of discharge, larger than I've ever experienced, and I began to itch terribly. Not sure if this is something else, but I'm waiting to finish the pill supply and give it a few days before I contact the doc.

May 31, 2014 5:10 PM

Review by Jenna24:

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: Works well but the taste is horrid.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2014 9:33 PM

Review by 444vvvv:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: After 3 days, I've felt really nauseous non stop. My stomach is non stop hurting. But, I haven't had any weird odor or discharge. Bad side effects.

May 24, 2014 7:14 PM

Review by ammulle (taken for less than 1 month):

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: Had my first flare with diverticulitis 4 months ago, ended up in the emergency room. Prescribed Bactrim and Flagyl and four days bed rest. Pain subsided after 2 days on the meds, but felt pretty crummy for the next week, and had to deal with loss of taste and bad taste in my mouth. Didn't attribute feeling so yucky with the meds. Had a second milder diverticulitis flare up four days ago. Went to the doc 2 days ago and I'm back on Bactrim and Flagyl. Came back to work today and I am SO NAUSEOUS! The bad taste in my mouth has returned, and I really don't feel well at all. I really DO NOT want to end up where I was last Jan when I went to the emergency room - so I'm still taking the Flagyl. Doc gave me Zofran for the nausea, it helps some.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 9, 2014 5:56 PM

Review by Misha20 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I experienced itching around the opening of my vagina, a fishy/musty odor and clumpy discharge. I went to the doctor and he diagnosed me with. I'm on my second day of dosage with this medicine, and all of those symptoms are gone, but I'm going to finish out the 7 days to make sure it's gone for good. Now, I don't have to be ashamed anymore.

May 8, 2014 11:39 PM

Review by kjautry:

For Bacterial Vaginitis: This medicine is great at killing infections. I had bacterial vaginitis pretty bad and by day two the symptoms were gone. I'm on day 5 of 7 day treatment of 500mg twice a day and I haven't had much symptoms till tonight. Before I was feeling some dizziness, some fatigue and lack of concentration. I was also suffering from very uncomfortable constipation. Tonight after taking it I've felt nauseous and my stools are starting to get softer. I'm really afraid to take it tomorrow for in fear of how bad it will make me feel.

May 5, 2014 12:06 AM

Review by rckymtnangl:

For Diverticulitis: 1st time and hopefully last time with diverticulitis. On Cipro and Flagyl. No pain after 48 hours. Followed clear liquid diet plus plain probiotic yogurt for 2 days to keep diarrhea at bay and NOT get thrush then switched to a low fiber diet. Doctor only gave nuts/raw veggie restriction but I decided to give colon a rest. Dark urine despite drinking 64 oz water each day. Also take probiotic in the morning. I've read other posts saying meds would be stopped or reduced...NOT a good idea in order to completely eliminate the bacteria. I've heard the infection can return, not as a new infection, but because the bacteria count was diminished, not wiped out. A pharmacist told me to take the Flagyl first, then take the Cipro 2hours later. That's helped!

April 27, 2014 9:24 PM

For Bacterial Vaginitis: I have been taking this pill, I've been skipping days because I forget BUT let me tell you this medicine does wonders. I had a very strong fish odor and it would even trespass my pants, it was so horrible! With heavy discharge and different color discharge but I'm so amazed with this medicine.

April 24, 2014 1:58 PM

Review by AnotherBrick (taken for less than 1 month):

For Trichomoniasis: The taste is unpleasant, though not as unpleasant as trichomoniasis. Upon the first dose (500 mg) I suffered from flu like side effects. My neck grew stiff, I felt feverish and steadily nauseous. It did not cause me to lose my appetite, despite the nausea. Headaches became common, along with an undying thirst. Having to go to work on this medicine was as difficult as a virus. I had trouble sleeping to the extent that I actually had remained awake for over thirty hours before falling asleep. It was around the third day in that I suddenly had thick, white discharge that had a musty odor, however that only happened that one day. It is a rough pill, but it gets the job done. No pain, no gain, as they say.

April 23, 2014 2:49 AM