User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Crohn's Disease, Maintenance 0 reviews 23 medications

Peritonitis 0 reviews 72 medications Not rated - Be the first
Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 50 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 422 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Bacterial Infection: "I had a IUD in 4 years and decided to take it out so I could get pregnant, a month later I took 3 pregnancy tests that all came up positive, 2 weeks later I started bleeding so I thought I was having a miscarriage and went to ER, the Dr said I was never pregnant but had BV so I got a medication for flagyl and now I am having stomach pains. I don't know if its a side effect or if i could possible be pregnant in my tubes because I had a tubular pregnancy before..."

Myangelfaith1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "I went on a holiday to Thailand and developed a bloated stomach with wind and later diarrhea. The Dr prescribed Flagyl to kill and bugs in the intestine. We know that in these countries it is rather easy to get a bug from foods. After many trips I finally got a Bangkok Belly. After taking 400 mg 3 times a day I felt some relief the next day. Felt good. Then the next day I woke up feeling terrible. I had sneezing, runny nose, a feeling of tightness in the nose (harder to breathe), asthma, dry lips, rashes on the hands, body aches, lack of appetite, feeling lethargic and tired along with wind in the stomach along with slight nausea. Diarrhea almost gone. Most side effects are happening to me on the fourth day."

medicine_interest (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I am currently taking this medicine for the treatment of BV. I have not experienced any of the side effects from the pill, but it's just not working for me. I'm on day 5 of taking it and my symptoms have only increased. The itching is unbearable, especially in the evenings and at night. It actually woke me up at 3am. The discharge is even worse than I when I started. I have never had the fishy smell, so I didn't need that to disappear. The pill tastes gross but I haven't had any nausea from it. I called by obgyn on day 4 and the nurse said sometimes symptoms get worse before it gets better but I haven't seen any other reviews that support that. I was really hoping they'd give me a different prescription but they said wait it out. :("

NeedHelpNow4BV July 25, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Bread is the key. I've taken metronidazole 500mg 2 times a day for 7 days. This is my 9th set of themm seeing that I'm prone to BV. Every time I get them I get nauseous, sick headaches, stomach pains, weak and the taste is the worst thing in life. It always hits my tongue or back of throat. I never finsu a bottle I always leave about 3-4 pills because I can never finish and the symptoms clear after about 3 days. Well after my last visit that is why it always comes back you have to take the whole dosage. But it was such a hard pill I never could. Well this time I learned to wrap them in BREAD. Problem solver!!! I wrap it around bread, and just swollow it . its like u never took a pill :) no taste and no headaches no nasuea and I even take it without food sometimes. No symptoms what so ever ! This is a big help in my life. Because ive dealt with this for a year and a half back to back because I have a very sensitive body! Now if I ever need to take them everything is perfectly fine :) I recommend doing that , because I believe the taste is what causes the symptoms.....at least for me . -Kyri"

Kyr.oshay (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 21, 2015

For Trichomoniasis: "Im on the one time 2000 mg dose and the taste is bad but i had just bought garlic hummus so i quickly popped a couple pita slices caked with hummus in my mouth and the taste was gone. Hummus is amazing. Its been 15minutes since ive taken it and im feeling a little tired but i timed it so i cant go straight to sleep and hopefully wake up symptom free!"

Anonymous July 20, 2015

For Dental Abscess: "I've been taking these meds 3 times per day for the past 3 three days for a dental abscess I contracted during a root canal. Overall the drugs have been amazing in easing the pain an discomfort that came with the infection. The side effects however are horrendous. I have experienced serious bouts of nausea, moodiness, and bloating. I have a couple more tablets to go but I'm ever so tempted to stop taking them but I desperately need the infection to finish so I can finally be done with the root canal so I guess I'll just keep going."

Diaratos July 20, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I started taking these pills for a bacterial infection.Mine were 500mg and I had to take them twice daily and they taste awful!The taste lasted at least 3minutes.Drinking water didn't work at all,I had to drink a flavored soda and goggle my throat with the soda so the taste could leave.But,other then that they're very helpful I didn't have any side effects"

Sarde July 18, 2015

For Dental Abscess: "On Metronidazole for the 4th time due to a wisdom tooth which keeps becoming infected (they cannot take it out as it is sitting on a nerve & may leave me with permanent facial numbness). Overall this drug is amazing and I always find that the infection disappears with 3-4 days of taking it. However, I have a very weak stomach and therefore it hits me hard and leaves me fairly nauseous most of the time. Aswell as this I tend to feel "spaced out" and not quite myself. On the whole though, the pros outweigh the cons and the side effects are well worth the results! ***Note: I've been told to take ibuprofen and paracetamol whilst on Metronidazole this time to take away pain/swelling etc & I found this amplifies feelings of nausea x1000.***"

Ursh11 (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2015

For Diverticulitis: "5th day of the combo, 1st time being diagnosed with diverticulitis. 42 yr old female, with a family I love. Can't wait to be off these mess not sure how I feel about them, I know they're helping but can't stand side effects!!! I can be anxious on my own I feel alright for the most part but once I feel something new or different I tend to freak myself out! But reading other people's experiences has helped calm me a lot thanks to everyone for sharing feels better to know others going through the same thing. I wish everyone a quick recovery!!!"

my7kids July 15, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed this drug for BV, which like many other women, I did not even know I had until a doctor told me! I had absolutely no symptoms other than a slight odor. I was prescribed Flagyl for 7 days (two 500mg pills a day). I started noticing side effects immediately! I would have given anything to feel the drowsy feeling that most women on this website said the felt because for me it was the complete opposite! I could not sleep at all, I felt like my heart was racing and my skin was crawling, it also made me feel like I had Restless Leg Syndrome and extreme nausea. Luckily on the 4th night with no sleep my sister gave me some of her Ambein and I finally slept. Side effects aside, the drug works wonders, BV was indeed cleared up."

Momof3Girlz (taken for less than 1 month) July 13, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "After having sex with a new uncircumcised partner I noticed the next day I had smelly urine, different smelling discharge (not fishy though), and tenderness in the vulva region. Doc said I had a mild case of BV. I opted to treat it with Flagyl vaginal gel but that didn't work and I was still symptomatic after the 5 day course. Went back for a culture and and doc said not only did I still have BV but I also had a yeast infection. Took one Diflucan for the yeast and then started Flagyl again but this time in pill form, not the vaginal gel. No nausea but weirdly the pills make me feel very lethargic and a little spaced out. Also, I have a decreased appetite."

Sad Vagina (taken for less than 1 month) July 9, 2015

For : "The taste was bad, but not awful. I had the dosage of a one time four 500mg tablets. The side effects were as bad as everyone says. I hadn't read anything about the drug before taking it. I took it with a meal and still felt nauseous all night. My side effects were vomiting, chills, major headache, dizziness, tingling in hands and feet, dryness of mouth, fatigue, and trouble sleeping. I wish I would have known about the side effects before taking the medicine, because I was afraid to be home alone. They only lasted the night, after that I was back to normal."

jessiegurl July 8, 2015

For Pseudomembranous Colitis: "symptoms started as going #2 bathroom over 5-10 times a day. I got flagyl/metronidazole 500mg. It generally works for intestinal bacterial infection. You take 1 tablet by mouth 3 times a day for 7 days. Manufactures please make capsule form. The tablet TASTES really BAD. Take it with soda/gatorade or something that can wash away aftertaste. The side effects I felt were; nausea and dizziness. My Doctor said drink a lot of water and have it during meals and avoid all alcohol including certain mouthwash and anything that contains alcohol."

alex.p (taken for less than 1 month) July 3, 2015

For Giardiasis: "500 mg 3x a day for 10 days only made it to pill 6. Horrible side affect. Headache, nauseous, no appetite causing weight loss, white gunk in eyes, liquid in ears, itching skin, swollen sore mouth with tinfoil taste, vaginal yeast, low back pain, blurred vision, ovary pain(though no problems with ovaries before), inflammation. This sounds like an allergic reaction but what it was is this medicine ignited a whole body yeast infection like a atom bomb by day 2. Had to stop taking it because the medicine is 10x worse than the guardia is. I'm sure it's definately toxic to guardia if you can survive the duration of the treatment"

Reddon (taken for less than 1 month) June 29, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I am taking this along with ciprofloxacin. I am experiencing severe bloating and stuffy nose and gaging. I have taken gas X this morning but am still suffering. This is the second day on the medicine and it was not as bad on the first day. I did not sleep at all because of the bloating and pain."

bmac4603 June 28, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "After coming back from Thailand I caught a pretty nasty bug. Thank god for this medication getting rid of it, but the side effects from it were terrible. I took 750mg three times a day, with a mandatory meal or I would vomit. I constantly felt dizzy with headaches, persistent nausea, stomach cramps, aggressive bloating, diarrhea for 10 days, and was constantly fatigued. I attempted a natural remedy at first but had no luck with that. Having a really healthy diet on these pills actually helps quite a bit. Stay away from sugar."

averayYyaaaass June 28, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "First time with BV, although I had no discharge or odor, so I couldn't get the diagnosis really quickly. Anyhow, I have been taking this drug (Metronidazole) with milk and a little food twice a day and have no crazy side effects that everyone else seems to have. Sure, it tastes bad, but I can't believe I didn't get the nausea like so many others, considering I feel like I have a wimpy body when it comes to everything else. It's been fine in this case, and on day 4 I feel I'm about 99 percent better."

Anonymous June 27, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I've taken this anti biotic in the past for my wisdom teeth playing up and it worked wonders! I've started taking a weeks course (2 a day) for a bacterial infection. The first day I started to feel ever so slightly drowsy. Now going into a few more days I have developed a very runny/stuffy nose, watery eyes and slight loss of appetite. With feeling like this its making me not want to complete the full course but then again I don't want my infection to return. With working in a dentist and hearing metronidazole getting prescribed regularly its always the one where we warn the patient it can make you feel a bit sick and to NEVER drink alcohol as very dangerous. I have experienced slight effects and looking forward to finishing the course!"

Salsa25 June 27, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Trichomoniasis: "This medicine works but, the taste is so bad the second day of being on it I started throwing up the sickness went away but, I'm still getting major headaches and I feel exhausted. I was percribed 30 of them for a colon infection due to not being able to go to the bathroom caused the infection spread into my stomach."

amgel26 June 26, 2015

For Giardiasis: "On day 7 of 10 of taking Metronidazole and i still feel like shit! Being treated for a parasite that was making me feel awful but not this awful! I know in the long run this will be beneficial as the parasite will be gone however, taking for ten days is exhausting. I have had to take the entire week off work. Side effects include stomach pain, nausea upon movement, brown urine, back pain, fatigue. And the foul taste!!!! People really haven't exaggerated the taste - it is vile and constant! Can't wait to be done!"

Evejude (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Don't have any really bad side effects, other than:bad taste, gas , and bloating. Hope it works. Doctor also gave me 3 DIFLUCAN to take on day 3, 5 , and last day of treatment to prevent yeast infection."

Anonymous June 23, 2015

For Diverticulitis: "First time diagnosed with diverticulitis and suffers 3 months of horrible pain before finding out through ct scan. Prescribed 10 days of cypro and Flagyl and feel like shit:). However I can tell it's working and today is day ,5. Nasty poop today but tells me this stuff is working."

Misterqc (taken for less than 1 month) June 22, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Had BV and prescribed 2 pills a day for 7 days. Cannot drink alcohol for 10 days which sucks but worth it to be healthy again. I tried the gel before and was messy and didn't work. This pill makes me feel nauseous especially at night time. Bad headaches and tired 24/7 I can barely make myself get up and out of the house. I forgot to take 2 twice a day so had to take them longer than the 7 days. I think it worked, hope it is gone for good. I also have no appetite nothing sounds good to eat. Force yourself to eat something when u take it and coat the pill before putting in your mouth the taste is horrible like no pill I've ever had before, I dipped mine in random foods to avoid taste (frosting, pudding, peanut butter is a good one)."

ADPBFGh16728 June 20, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "Prescribed Flagyl and Cipro for diverticulitis and both worked well. Hard to tease out which caused some of the side effects, however Flagyl seemed the milder of the two. Bad pill taste is no problem but the metallic taste tainted everything. So glad to hear others experienced heightened/changed sense of smell! I thought I was going crazy! No nausea with the Flagyl alone but about an hour after adding the cipro the exhaustion and nausea are awful. Also, dark urine and diarrhea which are unsettling but sound normal."

Gardengirl67 June 20, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I have suffered from BV for about five years now.It wasn't until last year I began my first treatment by taking x3 pills a day for a week.It was a horrible experience I felt the need to puke, nauseous, light headed, weak and the taste of the pill is disgusting.Well, it didn't work after I ended the treatment and I gave up on it.Now I'm taking it again as the second treatment and my hope's are up I haven't felt bad except the need to pee at least five times a day.I think it's working I'm by day three.Now I also say it's good to eat alot of food each time you take it especially if you have a weak stomach with loads of water.So If you have BV I recommend you take this drug it's really effective instantly."

review (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2015