User Reviews for Metronidazole

Also known as: Flagyl, Flagyl 375, Flagyl ER, Flagyl IV, Metro, Metro IV, Metryl, Protostat

Learn more about Metronidazole.

Pseudomembranous Colitis 1 reviews 11 medications

Peritonitis 0 reviews 75 medications Not rated - Be the first
Surgical Prophylaxis 0 reviews 55 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Metronidazole reviews 375 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Metronidazole

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "First experience with BV was a nightmare just because of the odor and discharge alone. I was scared because I didn't know where or how I even contracted it. I was a freshman in college and on campus the OBGYN prescribed me Clindamycin. I had no symptoms, just the same metallic taste as the Metronidazole. By the second day it was gone. I had unprotected sex and BV came right back :( a few months passed by and I finally went to get treated & they gave me Metronidazole. Now I'm on my second prescription of the Met. I'm on day 2 and hopefully this time BV will vanish."

sadgirlwithBV (taken for less than 1 month) May 20, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I had bv during my pregnancy and yeah the metronidazole tasted terrible to the point I didn't wanna take it, but it cleared everything up for me fast so I'd take again. I did have some symptoms such as extreme drowsiness and I don't think the baby likes it either. I can't eat much because I feel sick. Besides the side effects and taste it works really well."

tyeeeeee May 19, 2015

For Trichomoniasis: "The taste is absolutely terrible!!! It's so strong and disgusting! If you let it hit your tongue, your screwed!!! What I do, is I take it with a huge glass of milk, fill your mouth up with milk, drop it in and swallow! Sometimes it works and you don't taste anything but milk, but sometimes it floats around and hits your tongue! Besides how bad it tastes, I get super dizzy after taking this pill, almost immediately I am dizzy and nauseous with a nasty headache! Of course it helps if you eat before hand, but the lightheaded, dizzy feeling isn't fun at all! Feels like I have my eyes crossed, it's painful. Although the side effects are horrible, I do have to say within hours the discharge completely flushes out, the smell goes away and your back to norm!"

JennyBoom10 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 18, 2015

For Trichomoniasis: "This medicine works wonders as far as its effectiveness. However the side effects are HORRIBLE!!! Not only do I have a disgustingly, horrible taste in my mouth that nothing seems to get rid of, but I'm so nauseous that every time I have to take another one, I automatically throw up just from the thought. The directions say to eat before or take with food, but I can't keep anything down, not to mention I'm extremely thirsty, but when I try to drink anything (including water) its disgusting. Everything tastes like this pill. I feel like I have a fever although I've checked many times, and I don't, and I'm having horrible headaches. However all of my symptoms are gone thank God. Lesson learned, currently abstinent for a long time!!"

Chocolate Berry May 16, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "I was prescribed the 7-day, 3 times a day dose for BV. As to symptoms clearing/persisting, I wouldn't know because I didn't notice anything amiss to begin with (no noticeable smell or discharge). The GYN recommended Flagyl after my annual appointment possibly because I was developing BV. I don't know if it's the medicine, but I developed the worst sore throat I've had in years. Congestion interspersed with runny nose, sinus pressure, throat pain, sneezing, coughing, raw nose, the works. It feels like a mix between strep throat and a sinus infection. I feel like my head is in a vice. The only other thing that's changed is darker urine than usual. I'm on my last pill and I started getting sick on day 4 of antibiotics."

Am C May 15, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "So I have suffered from BV for a couple years now - without even knowing!! I have noticed over the last few years that my scent had gotten really strong, and I automatically thought it was normal, but I was very very self conscious of it!! I finally started googling it, and low and behold...BV showed up everywhere! For me, it was strictly scent, I had no other symptoms. I am married with 2 children, and only have sex with my husband. I finally went to the doctor, and within a day of 500mgx2 daily, I noticed a HUGE difference and it feels wonderful. However, I absolutely hate the side effects of this drug. Oh so tired the third day in (slept all afternoon), the nauseousness and metallic taste in my mouth is incredible,but I would take it again!!!!!"

Not so self conscious anymore!!! =) May 13, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I am currently on this to treat BV, I'm on my last day and it has definitely done it's job I no longer have any signs of infection, it's very effective. But this medication can be extremely unpleasant. I got the worst of it today, diarrhea, nausea, weakness, fatigue, upset stomach, and body aches. I drank a store bought Kombucha, which is a drink loaded with probiotics, and I immediately felt relief. I recommend anyone having bad side effects from this medication get some sort of daily probiotic intake, don't worry it will not make the metronidazole any less effective. It helps relieve bad side effects of antibiotics immensely, look it up! This can also help reduce the risk of getting a yeast infection from this medication"

yayprobiotics (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "Pill was nasty. I finally dipped it in olive oil and was able to take it without tasting it. Took about 5 days for symptoms to resolve. Nasty medicine but will take again if I get bv again. No other side effects"

SarahHH May 8, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "Nausea and vomiting for at least 6hrs"

stephs86 May 7, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Vaginitis: "I hate experiencing Bacterial Vaginosis ! The smell is horrible and makes u feel very uncomfortable around ppl. The discharge is disgusting like thick cottage cheese. "

Anonymous May 7, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I have been suffering from BV for about 8 years now. I've always been prescribed metronidazole. It works for me, it takes two days for the symptoms to clear. Mines is recurring because of my period. So I get it every month. :( which I hate it's embarrassing. I have no side effects from the medication, I just hate the horrible taste. I never eat with mines but everyone is different and bodies react differently to medication."

KickBV (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 7, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I had a bacterial infection, either an UTI or a stomach bacteria which made my stomach round and very achy. I started taking this medicine along with Cipro and the first day I felt much better. I took this medicine 3 times a day. I did not have any side effects. I got better. My stomach and bladder are fine. I don't know what I had but I glad I got rid of it with this medication."

massina (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Diverticulitis: "This is my third day on flagyl and cipro, 3 flagyl and 2 cipro per day. The flagyl does not leave an awful taste in my mouth but some food smells awful...the herbs and flowers in my garden smell nice however. I also feel very anxious, but know now this is a possible side effect. It is a slow depressing recovery but flagyl worked for me before. I will be very careful what I eat from now on and I am going to try some liquid meals and eat gelatinous foods...chicken stew, avocados, beetroots, prunes....its very hard to maintain a healthy diet when you have to work."

diversional May 3, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "After reading all of the crazy reviews I was completely against taking Flagyl. I've been with my bf for 10 months and we are sick of the BV and the fishy odor. I finally started taking Flagyl and after the 2nd day of taking it the smell was completely gone. I had no side effects except cola colored urine when I wake up in the mornings. I just hope and pray the BV never comes back."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I am taking this for a stomach infection brought on by a bad stomach flu alongside levaquin. It is doing it's job, but is by far the hardest tablet I've ever tried to swallow. It is rough and rectangle shaped with little to no coating. I can say from personal experience (unfortunately) that it is harder to swallow than both cigarette butts and garden spiders. Just what were they thinking when they designed it?"

holytoaster (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2015

For Diverticulitis: "I am a 49 yr old male.This is the 2nd time if had diverticlitis(at 40 the first time) I have taken both meds (Cipro an Metron 500ml) this is only thing that helped me. I see that everyone is different. my pain (lower left ab) was unreal.I have been out of work for 3 days.(haven't missed a day in 10yrs) I'm not 100%yet but,the sharp pains are almost gone.I need more fiber and have been told you can heal this."

Mick diver (taken for less than 1 month) April 29, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Bacterial Infection: "I can't express enough how much this pill has helped!! I'm taking it for BV. My symptoms were gone by day 3. I should add that I have severe allergies to MANY strands of antibiotics (I'm talking epi-pen type allergies). For me to be able to take this with almost zero side effects is amazing. I had a slight headache day 2 and I sort of feel like I'm always hungry, but I would take any side effect for 7 days over the smell of BV!!"

Someone;-) April 29, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "Metronidazole is the best medicine for Bacterial Vaginosis! I am prone to BV. I get it off and on and can't tell you why. Neither can my doctor. However, every time I get it, Metro is right there to clean me up! I'm dealing with it right now as a matter of fact. After day three of my meds (2 pills pd), I'm almost at 100% again. It's not the side effects (light nausea, fatigue, irritability) of the medicine that bother me. It's waiting for the itching and pain to stop. Metro works fast, but when you're itchy and sore like that, it feels like its taking forever. I always begin to feel some kind of relief in about 24 hours. Baths help, along with going w/o underwear."

FeelingGreat2015 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 28, 2015

For Crohn's Disease, Acute: "Be extremely cautious when taking this medication. It was way to strong for me. I was prescribed this Medication, because I had developed a situation that the antibiotics I was taking were making me sick, so I was given Metronidazole, which made matters worse for me. I was experiencing Antibiotic Overload. Not a pleasant experience at all. Good luck if you have to take this med."

1sxcfreak2 (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

Flagyl (metronidazole) for Clostridial Infection: "Took 500mg 3 times per day for 14 days to treat a c. diff infection. Within the 1st week the side effects kicked in. Horrible taste in my mouth 24/7 then followed by constant nausea, loss of appetite. I was so nauseous by the end that I couldn't get off the couch. Took it with meals, and I haven't had an alcoholic drink in 3 yrs. Chewed gum all the time to deal with the taste. Horrible side effects, but very effective. Was feeling normal again within a few days of starting it."

dramaqueen0408 (taken for less than 1 month) April 27, 2015

For Trichomoniasis: "I was prescribed the one time dose of four (4) 500mg tablets. Within HOURS I noticed the horrible odor & discarge were totally gone!! I had been skeptical it would work well with just one dose but it's truly AMAZING!! I didn't have any of the (I personally think exaggerated) side effects some of these other reviews listed. I even took it on a completely empty stomach at the end of the day. No problems with the taste either as I take them differently than most people. I put water in my mouth, hold the water in my mouth without swallowing, tilt my head back (still not swallowing), drop the pills the back my throat & then swallow. I take many pills each day for various reasons & I've never tasted ANY pills that way."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2015

For Bacterial Infection: "I have been taking this for Two days due to Bacterial Vaginitis. Upon waking up on my 2nd day I was bleeding. This would sound normal if my period hadn't already came two weeks ago! I have cramping and EXTREME back pains. If the bleeding doesn't subside I will go to the ER tomorrow"

Flowerchild1 April 24, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I'm taking 2x daily for 7 days 500mg. First pill...I had super painful urination almost like I was peeing razor blades, felt weak(almost as if I was drunk), couldn't concentrate, weird discharge, dull abdominal cramps, and at night had strange dreams. I usually don't have problems with meds so this surprised me. But since taking two more pills the initial symptoms have improved. So I'm hopeful it's working. I also recommend eating before you take a pill...and after, drink lots of water."

77tht1girl (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2015

For Diverticulitis: "I have had a few bouts with diverticulitis close together and was prescribed Cipro and Flagyl both strong antibiotics. When trying to take both at the same time I felt very sick, and nausea. I went online to read more about each of these meds. Someone with experience suggested taken them an hour apart and when taking Flagyl take it in a spoon of applesauce because it leaves a bitter taste if it touches any part of the inside of your mouth. Put it in the back of mouth w/ applesauce and swallow with lots of water. Also DO NOT Take your Cipro with milk or yoghurt it tells you on you med info on bottle and paper info. The last time the prescription for Flagyl was dbled from 250 mg to 500 mg and it made me throw it up. "

SRZ April 22, 2015

For Bacterial Vaginitis: "I put off taking this medicine for 3 weeks because I am an avid wine drinker. Anyway started and first day no issue. Second day so tired...could barely stay awake. Third day not too bad took with big breakfast and juice. Fourth day took just with juice and was sick for real. I am pretty sure I threw up most of my medicine. Fifth day ok."

not doing well (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2015