User Reviews for Levofloxacin

Also known as: Levaquin, Levaquin Leva-Pak

Learn more about Levofloxacin.

Kidney Infections 10 reviews 93 medications

Otitis Media 3 reviews 134 medications

4.7
Summary of Levofloxacin reviews 330 reviews 5.9

Reviews for Levofloxacin

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Bronchitis: "I woke up in the middle of the night after taking 3 doses (that's only 3 pills) in excruciating painit felt like someone had a huge sledgehammer and was slamming it against my left knee over and over again. The pain was so bad I even vomited. This pain lasted for weeks and I know have chronic tendonitis in that knee and am in constant pain. Some days are better, but it's a constant pain and it's always swollen. It's been like this since 2009, it is now 2016. This class of drugs is toxic and should never be used as a 1st line of attack for infections; it shouldn't be used at all. Don't ever take this drug or the others like it, they are called the "Fluroquinolones" which also includes Cipro, Avelox to name a few."

Topias (taken for less than 1 month) May 24, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Pneumonia: "Ruptured tendons..."

Anonymous May 23, 2016

For : "I took this for 7 days 750 mg. Insomnia hit the first 2 nights. I awoke with achy shoulders and neck, next day shoulders and hips, next day hips and knees. It was not the knee bones but tendons around it so swollen I could not squat. At 63 and active I felt like I was 100. Hands were swollen, neck muscles were unbearable and knees and hips, mostly knees after the 7 days hurt terribly. I have finished the medicine but 10 days later my knees are still not back to norm. I am trying to function normally but my knees operate only about 65%. I can only hope this will pass. I was taking this med with the thought I might have an infection in my lungs but this for me did not help my lung issue. Lisinopril and penicillin are allergens as well. BEWARE"

marina gal (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I'm 19 and was prescribed 750 mg for 14 days, stopped after 3 days after noticing soreness in knees and in heel. I was terrified to take this, but being allergic to penicillin and azythromycin I had to try it. Its now been 3 days since my last dose and I still have notable soreness in right heel. I am praying this goes away. I can still walk, but I definitely can't exercise. I am taking magnesium supplements and Bromelain for inflammation, with Ibuprofen. Otherwise, I had no problems with sleep (if anything I was more tired) and no stomach upset. I think its also worth mentioning that I suffer from anxiety already and this did not worsen my pre-existing condition. Give it a shot, but the second you notice soreness anywhere,stop taking it."

Bree109 May 14, 2016

For Pneumonia: "Stay away from this. It is a dangerous drug that has caused me tendon issues, exhaustion, walking like Herman Munster, rubber band popping sensation in calves, as well as a vitreous detachment. There has got to be better alternatives. Apon closer research this drug was originally made for black plague and anthrax. This is some scary crap!"

Vulpe (taken for less than 1 month) May 14, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "I cannot give Levaquin a good rating. I was a healthy, active college student minoring in dance when I took this for a sinus infection. After a few pills it completely destroyed my life, for an infection that would have cleared on its own. No more than hour of sleep for over a year due to neurological damage that destroyed my sleep cycle. It gave me dysautonomia so now I have tachycardia, POTS, heat intolerance, & all sorts of crazy problems. I got peripheral neuropathy, but it got better over the years. Still I am limited in what I can do, cannot fulfill my dreams, and miss going out in the summer since the heat intolerance causes me to not sweat but actually respond like I have heat exhaustion. No more laying on the beach in July...ever."

Great Lakes Gal May 12, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Get a script of 10 levofloxacin 750 mg every time i get a really bad sinus infection ( sinusitis). Start feeling better within 24 hours. Works great."

Wonderbread wop May 12, 2016

For Pneumonia: "I am on day 7, it does seem to be helping with the pneumonia but I am having a really hard time falling asleep even though I am exhausted and the last 2 days I ache all over especially behind my knees, my shoulders and my wrists and fingers. I do not recommend this medicine."

39 year old woman (taken for less than 1 month) May 10, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I have COPD and at least twice a year I suffer severe flare-ups of the condition sometimes requiring hospitalization. Levaquin is the only antibiotic that has been effective. If I take it immediately upon early symptoms of a flare-up, I can avoid hospitalization. I have been taking it several times a year for the last several years and have not experienced any serious side effects. When ever I've been hospitalized for COPD exacerbations, I received higher doses of levaquin and again, with no side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 9, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "Love Levoflaxin. i was on another antibiotic for weeks and after 3 days on Levoflaxin my symptoms were all gone."

Bobbie ZZ April 30, 2016

For Sinusitis: "I have taken this drug twice in my lifetime and both times it knocked out a nasty bacterial infection. This was after trying several other antibiotics FIRST. I am 63 and have had NO side effects from this drug. Please understand that your doctor has prescribed this medication for a reason. Don't necessarily rely on the negative reviews here."

Boobelton52 April 29, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Pneumonia: "750 mg dosage for five days apparently cleared pneumonia, but now, six weeks later, I still feel some side effects of pain and swelling in ankles and feet that immobilized me immediately after taking. Additional side effects included internal bleeding in ankle area, black toes, areas of skin on lower leg showing bruise like areas. Difficulty walking due to stiff and painful joints in feet and ankles."

Nonegiven (taken for less than 1 month) April 23, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "Levaquin and sunlight do not mix. Cover up if you are outside while taking it. Otherwise you will burn and burn quickly. But the stuff works."

sunny side up April 23, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "Took this after having a sinus infection for four months, amoxicillin, augmentin, zpacks, steroids, nothing worked. Levaquin made me feel better within days, completely cleared the infection. Did give me a swollen foot/ankle, but that cleared once I finished the antibiotic course. I'd rather wrap my foot for two weeks, than have a sinus infection for four months. I don't think this is typically prescribed unless other antibiotics have failed. On it again for another stubborn sinus infection, no tendon issues so far."

Lalalamcd (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

For Urinary Tract Infection: "I was given 500mg Levofloxacin for a UTI infection. Severe lower back pain that comes and goes. Pain in my legs that comes and goes. Horrible medicine. Now I know it's an Anthrax Drug which I have refused to take in the past. My doctor just slipped this one in under a name different than Cipero. I would not recommend this medicine to anyone unless they have Anthrax. Try Keflex. It's a great drug with very few side effects."

Take you out of this world med April 18, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Bronchitis: "I was prescribed 500mg for 10 days for acute bronchitis, sinus infection as well as a very painful ear infection. After the first dose, I did feel a bit better. The second dose marked a big difference in how I was feeling overall. I was also prescribed a very expensive inhaler of Albuterol. (Rarely use) The third day was when I noticed that the side effects were now more of a problem than my illness. Metallic taste in my mouth, severe dry mouth, leg cramps, NO sleep, rise in BP and HR. dizziness, and ringing in my ears, agitation. I am on day 5 and do not want to finish the prescription but was warned, "take it completely..even after you begin to feel better." The only positive off chart effect is my skin is glowing!"

Anouk Tansy April 15, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "My dosage of Levaquin was 750 mg daily initially for 5 days & later extended for another 10 days after an ER visit. I discontinued the drug after 11 days due to: a) a general feeling of malaise after taking the drug b) I am a runner and I began experiencing tendinosis in the Achilles tendons & then on a routine run, I pulled up lame and could not continue due to severe pain in my left hamstring area - I attribute these injuries strictly to the Levaquin. I think this drug was effective in handling the infection but its side effects for me as described above are very real. I will not take this drug or probably any drugs in the fluoroquinolones class again. Anyone who is into exercising should think carefully about using this drug."

toucando (taken for less than 1 month) April 12, 2016

For Sinusitis: "Prescribed this medicine for a recurring sinus infection. Doctor at N.W. allergy said you may have some tenderness in your lower leg tendons near ankles just don't exercise while taking. After a week in a half of taking medicine I could barely walk. Kept taking medicine because pain was in my upper calfs and knee joint. Then it went into my shoulder. The doctor insisted it wasn't the levoflaxin. Two weeks after finishing the medicine I feel like an 80 year old women with bad arthritis, and prior to this I was a healthy active 51 year old women. Doctor still insist it wasn't the antibiotic I just woke up one morning with knee and shoulder joint and muscle pain for no reason. This medicine is not worth the risk and can change your life."

whywhy? April 11, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "Just didn't work for me. Now day 10 and still sick. Emergency walk in says it must be viral. I won't accept this prescription again."

Paula Mathis (taken for less than 1 month) April 10, 2016

For Sinusitis: "After reading all the reviews I was not sure about taking this drug and upset my doctor gave it to me. He stated stop reading the reviews everyone is different but these are long term side effects because of the drug. So I tried the first pill and with in 10min it declogged my nose but I still had pressure in my head and then I was weak and couldn't sleep at night felt like I was going to stop breathing and my muscles feel sore and so I decided to call him and ask for a different drug I will not take another dose after reading what this drug has done to so many people, the fact it's even out there is scary. I hope I don't devleope any long term effects because of one pill I took yesterday. I start ceftin today for my lung and sinus infec"

Echo007 (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Pneumonia: "Just finished a 7 day course of Levaquin (500 mg oral tabs) for pneumonia. My infection was not severe, but I noticed effects practically immediately. Within 24 hours I felt so much better. It did make me slightly nauseous at first, until I began taking it only on a full stomach. Did not notice any other side effects. I drank a LOT of water while I was sick, which may have helped."

FeelingMuchBetter (taken for less than 1 month) April 6, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "worst stuff I have ever used ended up in the er was so scared, it killed me with back and knee' pain could not get out of bed without screaming, never again!"

mmmnnnn April 6, 2016

For Sinusitis: "My doctor prescribed 10 days of this Rx for a sinus infection; yesterday made 4 days and I'm experiencing severe joint pain. After reading the reviews below I'm shocked/scared and will not be taking anymore pills. My body feels as though I've been in a car accident, I can barely move my neck due to pain, my hands ache like I have arthritis, my elbows, entire back, hips, knees and ankles are in pain and the bottom of my feet are burning as if I've been walking in hot sand. The last four days I've had a headache and nausea and today my eyes ache. This morning I was then experiencing confusion and finally decided to do more research on this drug and discovered this site. I plan to call my doctor tomorrow; this drug is horrible!"

KauaiLiving April 4, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Prostatitis: "I think it should be considered medical malpractice for a physician to prescribe this drug to an elderly man with heart problems, especially known congestive heart failure. My father didn't know he should report muscle weakness he experienced while taking this drug, and there was no followup by the physician. Since the heart is a muscle, I think this drug propelled my father into endstage heart failure, which he now has."

CNA daughter (taken for less than 1 month) April 4, 2016

Levaquin (levofloxacin) for Sinusitis: "Levaquin is not for me, even though it did help clear up my sinus infection. The tendonitis and joint pain were just too much for me. What they fail to tell you is that with lots of people who take this drug, the side effects do NOT go away with discontinuation of the drug. I now feel like I have arthritis in my hips, knees, elbows, and hands that simply will not go away, and I blame the Levaquin for these lingering symptoms. I would not recommend the drug to anyone unless their sinus infection simply will not respond to other treatments."

No More for Me (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2016