User Reviews for Clindamycin

Also known as: Cleocin, Cleocin HCl, Cleocin Pediatric, Cleocin Phosphate, Cleocin Phosphate ADD-Vantage

Learn more about Clindamycin.

Aspiration Pneumonia 1 reviews 64 medications

Pneumonia 1 reviews 181 medications

3.5
Summary of Clindamycin reviews 274 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Clindamycin

For Bacterial Infection: "I knew the side-effects of this medication and the potential for stomach issues, but I was diagnosed with cellulitis in one of my eyes and did not want to end up with meningitis. The first few days were rough with a lot of heartburn and diarrhea, but as so many other people have mentioned, this can be managed by taking it after or with a meal, eating foods that are not acidic and drinking a lot of water. The good news is that only after 4 hours and the first dose, the swelling started to disappear. It sucks to take it, but it works."

chershow (taken for less than 1 month) May 19, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "Chest pian was terrible and keep vomiting Terrible anti biotic. Hate it"

Kidyyyy boy May 16, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I ended up with C-DIFF after two weeks on Clindamycin prescribed by dentist for an "infection" that didn't even hurt! Then an additional 10 days on penicillin following oral surgery of two molars. Have NEVER been that sick in my life. Ended up in the hospital. Thought I would die and could have! Talk to any gastroenterologist and they'll tell you dentists should NOT be prescribing clindamycin any more. There are far safer alternatives. I was concerned about too long a stretch of antibiotics, as a normally healthy person, but they BOTH insisted I take it! Don't EVER take clindamycin! The medication to correct it cost $700 plus hospital costs."

Tater123 May 13, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I'm extremely sensitive to all types of antibiotics -- penicillin, amoxicillin, sulfur drugs, cephalosporins, Zithromax. I can't even take most OTC drugs. Unfortunately, I came down with strep throat, and had to see a doctor. Thankfully, I have an amazing doctor who found me something that worked. Here are two tips that you HAVE to follow when taking this medication even if you are NOT generally sensitive to antibiotics. 1) Take it right after you eat a meal if it says with food. Every. Single. Time. No exceptions. 2) Drink AT LEAST 16 oz of water with it. My doctor put me on the lowest dose, 150 mg, three times a day for ten days. It worked beautifully. No headaches, puking, joint pain, dizziness, or rash."

KDMay (taken for less than 1 month) May 2, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "The heart burn is as bad like When I was pregnante seven years ago it kept me up last night and still has today"

Mrs Hislop (taken for less than 1 month) April 28, 2016

Cleocin HCl (clindamycin) for Bacterial Infection: "This is my 2nd time using Cleocin HCl, this time for a dental abscess (300mg every 6 hrs). Today is day 3 of a 7-day course, set by the ER Dr. The swelling of my gumline, lip, and cheek has all but disappeared (just a tiny bump on the gumline left). The pain too is almost nonexistent, unless of course I bite down hard on the tooth that needs extraction. Side effects are slight nausea and heartburn if taken without 8oz of water or lying down soon after taking a dose."

Java~Grandma (taken for less than 1 month) April 18, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I am taking clindamycin for a tooth abscess. I take 300 mg every six hours for 15 days. When I first started the antibiotic, my left sinus and eye area were very swollen. Two doses of the clindamycin took away all the swelling and helped with the pain. I am on day 7 of taking it. I am pleased with it because it definitely seems to be getting rid of the infection. I got a few manageable side effects - tiredness, thirst, and a metallic chemical taste in my mouth. Just a little diarrhea too, but many antibiotics do that. Drinking a lot of water and taking a daily probiotic really helps lessen these side effects. Always take the medicine with a full glass of water and food, even if it is just a piece of bread."

Michiganmom90 April 15, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Side effects were severe vomiting, severe watery diarrhea, fever, severe pain taking a bowel movement. I had to be hospitalized and treated with morphine and other anti bionics also severe urinary infection from the very beginning. I have never had these systems from other antibiotics. I had a tooth abscess and they tried to pull my teeth went to a different dentist said I didn't have a cavity this stuff should be taken off the market. at 65 years of age I have never been this sick. I vomited so bad that I became dehydrated no matter how much water it drank it did not help. I had diarrhea so bad that I couldn't stop going my stomach hurt so bad I was crying. I was given no literature from the dentist or the pharmacy. they had the nerve to send me a bill"

phil pots April 15, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I started Clindamycin on March 25 for sinus infection - 150 mg, 3x a day for 21 days. This is the first time I have taken this medication. This past Friday, I thought I was having a heart attack. I knew it was this medicine giving me awful heartburn/chest pain because I could 'taste' the medicine. The heartburn and awful taste are almost unbearable. I will try drinking more water and do probiotics/yogurt. I am thankful that, so far, I have not had any upset stomach or diarrhea. Thanks for the tips."

Tiddly (taken for less than 1 month) April 8, 2016

For Bone infection: "I was put on Clindamycin for cellulitis, but the doctor missed the concurrent jawbone infection, so I was taken off of it too early (16 days). It was doing a marvelous job on my jaw pain. 11 days of being off it allowed the bone infection to come back and spread painfully. Finally, a dentist diagnosed the jaw infection that moved over from the sore throat and cellulitis (teeth fine), and my PCP put me back on Clindamycin. After several days, the improvement has been steady. I hope they treat me long enough to help fully clear up the bone infection this time. Great stuff. Absolutely drink lots of water with it. Helps a lot. Food too. Prayer too."

Ekim123 March 31, 2016

For Bone infection: "Oh my God, my neck, ear and jaw pain was the worst of all pain. After nearly 24 hours, I saw improvements. I found that its best to take the med w/ food..."

TweetChoc (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I have experienced severe diarrhea. I have also experienced headaches. I hated this antibiotic"

Danielle Stromsness (taken for less than 1 month) March 31, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "given Clindamycin after infected tooth pulled. on day 5 of 7 ,300 mg every 8 hours. I have IBS and diverticulosis anyway, but do seem to be having more diarrhea. last night I thought I was going to die, not really , but I almost wished I would. First of all my whole digestive track felt very irritated.. my jaw, ear , throat and whole right side of my face was hurting worse than it did before. managed to sleep for awhile but awoke with that side of my face feeling like it was on fire. No fever though. I put an ice pack on it .I felt fine this morning. To me it seemed like all the infection came to a head and must have drained or something . IF ANYONE HAS BAD DIARRHEA DON'T FOOL AROUND SEE DR ASAP it could be C DIF and can be fatal !"

B IN SC (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I have been on this medication since last night I had to be rushed to the ER due to a painful cyst near my breast, I found out after being examined that I have tonsillitis and was prescribed this medication to clear the infection. I was also told it would help with my cyst located near my breast which it did, but I'd advise you if you take this medication drink lots of water and do not lay down 10 minutes after taking your dosage. My throat feels drastically better and my cyst was able to open on it's own after a few hot compresses."

Sara G. (taken for less than 1 month) March 22, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I was given clindomycin following an emergency tooth removal because I had some infection. I went back a week later and everything healed up just fine, no sign of infection. Only problem I had was a bit of diarhhea, but nothing severe. All in all a good medication."

suzieqq March 13, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I have an infection in a broken tooth doctor prescribed me this 3 times a day about 30 min after taking 1 I am experiencing the worst pain I have ever felt in my life I'm assuming it's cause it's helping the infection but not even pain killers help the pain I have taken about 8-10 vico din and still it's the worst feeling I have ever felt I won of rather got it pulled without any numing shots this is hell it literally feels like there is a knife stuck in my jaw"

knife in my jaw (taken for less than 1 month) March 4, 2016

For Deep Neck Infection: "It cured my infection but the side affects sent me to the hospital. I got chest tightness, severe heartburn plus the severe pain of swallowing!. My face flushed red. Excruciating head ache for a short time at the hospital. Also nausea at times. Hospital thought heart attack until it was ruled out. They didn't connect the clindamycin to be a problem. I will never take it again as l also have IBS and it didn't help. I only have 4 capsules left on the 28 RX"

Ms Sunflower (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "4th time on clindmycin. Twice for tooth infections. Second time now in a month for strep throat. 3 pills at a time 4x a day for 10 days=120 pills. I find it works but must be taken with lots of water and after you eat! And don't lie down for 10-15 minutes after taking it or you'll get horrible heart burn that goes from your chest up into your throat"

Sjmcgee March 1, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Dry socket gum abscess, took about 8 hours and two pills in the swelling went down....fast. Good medicine for dry socket abscess, does take lots of water to work, however does work well for this particular application, in my experience anyways."

AJD-1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 22, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Horrible horrible horrible. I experienced so many side effects. Ruined my life and caused so many other issues within my body. Messed up my gut and its been months and I'm still trying to recover after taking this medicine. I refuse to ever take it again"

Fayfay1 (taken for less than 1 month) February 17, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I have quinsy which is also known as a Peritonsilar abscess. I was put on this medication 300mg x 4 daily. I am having a not too bad experience with this. I already suffer from dry skin in the winter and it made it a bit worse. I have had to moisturize like crazy. One day I took before bed on an empty stomach and I had massive heartburn and I never get heart burn. I didn't even know what the pain was until I described it to my wife. It took me 10 tums and about 30 min for it to get to a point where I could sleep. Since then I have been fine if I take it with food and lots of water and I don't go line down right after taking either. The loose stool is to be expected as with most antibiotics but it wasn't as bad as the last antibiotics I had."

Quinsy (taken for less than 1 month) February 16, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I took this medicine for about 3 days - 4 times a day. I notice that I have severe chest pains and I'm only 19. So I let it go on and it got way worse!!! I started to have very bad diarrhea. I thought nothing of it until I began seeing blood in my stools. I went to the hospital as everything progressed and they told me to stop taking the medication and prescribed me a medication that can reverse these symptoms. I advise everyone who reads this to not take this medication. And really if they can report all of these issues why has this medication stopped being produced, it makes no sense to produce a medication that is virtually going to kill you?"

Tyler.Croulet February 16, 2016

For Skin or Soft Tissue Infection: "I was prescribed 300mg of clindamycin 4xs a day for 7 days. I am 1/2 through the course. I read many of the unfavorable reviews as well as the information from the pharmacy. I was terrified. My Doctor did tell me to take the medication with a probiotic. After doing some research on which probiotic to take I went back to the pharmacy to pick up those pills as well. As others have stated you MUST take this med with plenty of water. After the first 4 pills I did have a slight headache and noticed my eyes seemed red and slightly irritated. I pushed the next dose out by 2 hours and increased my water intake. I haven't had any more issues (so far). I will update after I complete the full dosage. *I would recommend taking the probiotic."

CMiLLO (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "Worst medicine I've ever taken. I got put on this for a tooth infection. 30 minutes after taking it my jaw felt like someone was stabbing me. Dentist thought it was the tooth so upped the dose to 2 pills 3 times a day. Again after 30 minutes I had the worst pain I've ever felt. I took a dose this morning at 8 and again the pain was unbearable. Stopped taking it and 15 hours later I'm still in unbearable pain. I have a rash, chills, itchy and fever but the pain in my jaw is unreal. I threw the rest of the pills down the toilet and I'm praying this crap leaves my system soon. In the past 4 days I've had a total of 7 hours of sleep due to the jaw pain. Right now I should be asleep for work tomorrow and all I can do is endure the pain."

TylerV76 (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

For Bacterial Infection: "I had a wisdom tooth removed and developed an infection in my jaw. I was prescribed 1200 mg of Clindamycin a day. The pharmacist warned me that I should take with plenty of water, which I did. I also took it with food. The first time, I had to take 56 pills. Second time, 40. I just started another 56 pill stint of Clindamycin. I have had absolutely NO problems because it was stressed to be taken with PLENTY of water. Now, as far as the infection goes, I don't seem to be recovering from it even after having my jaw reopened and the bone scraped. I am very scared of what else this infection could do to me more so than the Clindamycin. Please take it as advised by the pharmacist."

Slurry (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 31, 2016