Respotil (Canada)This page contains information on Respotil for veterinary use.
The information provided typically includes the following:
- Respotil Indications
- Warnings and cautions for Respotil
- Direction and dosage information for Respotil
RespotilThis treatment applies to the following species:
Tilmicosin oral concentrate
For veterinary use only
Aqueous concentrate for oral solution
For use in swine drinking water only
1. Treated swine must not be slaughtered for use in food for at least 8 days after the latest treatment with this drug.
2. Respotil may cause irritation or sensitization by skin contact. Avoid direct skin contact. Wear overalls and impervious gloves when mixing and handling the product. Wash hands after handling the product. Wash affected parts if skin contact occurs. Avoid contact with eyes. If accidental eye contact occurs, immediately rinse thoroughly with water.
3. To limit the development of antimicrobial resistance, Respotil should only be used in swine when an outbreak of SRD is confirmed.
4. Keep out of reach of children.
5. To report adverse events in users or to obtain occupational safety information, call 1-888-590-9839.
tilmicosin (as tilmicosin phosphate)
Respotil is a concentrate formulation containing the antibiotic tilmicosin. Tilmicosin is produced semi-synthetically and is in the macrolide class of antibiotics.
As an aid in reducing the severity of swine respiratory disease (SRD) associated with Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae, Pasteurella multocida and Haemophilus parasuis in groups of pigs experiencing an outbreak of SRD.
As an aid in reducing the severity of swine respiratory disease (SRD) associated with Mycoplasma hyopneumoniae in the presence of the Porcine Reproductive and Respiratory Syndrome Virus (PRRSV) in groups of swine in buildings where a respiratory disease outbreak is diagnosed.
Dosage and Administration
To reduce the development of antimicrobial resistance and maintain effectiveness, use this antibiotic prudently.
Important: must be diluted before administration to pigs.
Administer continuously in drinking water for 5 consecutive days at a concentration of 200 mg tilmicosin per litre (80 mL Respotil per 100 litres of water), which is equivalent to a daily dose of 20 mg tilmicosin per kg of body weight for pigs that are drinking 10% of their body weight.
One 1000 mL bottle of Respotil is sufficient to mediate 1250 litres of drinking water for pigs.
Unused medicated solution should be discarded if not used within 24 hours.
1. The effects of Respotil on porcine reproductive performance, pregnancy and lactation have not been determined.
2. For oral use only. Contains disodium edetate; do not inject. Respotil may be highly toxic if administered parenterally.
3. Severely ill animals tend to drink less and should be treated parenterally with a suitable injectable veterinary drug.
1. Do not use in animals hypersensitive to tilmicosin.
2. Do not allow horses and other equines access to drinking water containing tilmicosin.
Store below 15 - 30°C. Protect from direct sunlight.
Shelf life of the opened bottle: 3 months.
Unused product or waste material should be disposed of in accordance with national requirements.
Revision: March 3, 2021
Modern Veterinary Therapeutics, LLC, Miami, Fl 33186 - USA
Modern Veterinary Therapeutics Inc, 261065 Wagon Wheel Way, Bay 3, Balzac (Rocky View County), AB T4A 0T5
Orders and product information: Call 1 888 590 9839
261065 WAGON WHEEL WAY, ROCKY VIEW COUNTY, AB, T4A 0T5
Copyright © 2022 Animalytix LLC. Updated: 2022-11-29