Stress Formula with Iron Side Effects
Generic Name: multivitamin with iron
Note: This document contains side effect information about multivitamin with iron. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Stress Formula with Iron.
For the Consumer
Applies to multivitamin with iron: oral capsule, oral miscellaneous, oral solution reconstituted, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release
Other dosage forms:
- oral liquid, oral powder, oral tablet chewable
- oral capsule, oral elixir, oral liquid, oral miscellaneous, oral solution, oral tablet
- oral capsule
- oral liquid, oral solution, oral suspension
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- Black, tarry, or bloody stools.
- Very upset stomach or throwing up.
- Very bad belly pain.
- Throwing up blood or throw up that looks like coffee grounds.
- Stomach cramps.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Upset stomach or throwing up.
- Hard stools (constipation).
- Change in color of stool to green.
- Loose stools (diarrhea).
- Belly pain.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to multivitamin with iron: injectable solution, oral capsule, oral capsule extended release, oral liquid, oral powder for reconstitution, oral tablet, oral tablet chewable, oral tablet extended release
Gastrointestinal side effects associated with oral iron therapy have included nausea, constipation, anorexia, heartburn, vomiting, and diarrhea. These effects are generally dose-related. In addition, stools may appear darker in color in patients taking products containing iron. Iron oral preparations may rarely cause Hemoccult-positive stools, patients with positive tests generally require further work-up.[Ref]
Stained teeth have primarily occurred following ingestion of iron liquid preparation.
Iron overload (i.e., hemosiderosis) has been reported in patients genetically predisposed, or have underlying disorders, that augment the absorption of iron. It has also occurred following administration of excessive parenteral iron therapy, combination of oral and parenteral iron, or in patients with hemoglobinopathies that were erroneously diagnosed as iron deficiency anemia. Hemosiderosis is treated with repeated phlebotomy or long-term administration of deferoxamine. The liver is particularly susceptible to toxicity in iron-overload states.[Ref]
Other side effects associated with oral iron products have included stained teeth and iron overload (hemosiderosis). Secondary hemochromatosis due to prolonged iron ingestion has been reported rarely.[Ref]
Metabolic side effects associated with iron have included decreased absorption of thyroxine (T4).[Ref]
1. Hutchins L, Lipschitz D "Iron and folate metabolism in renal failure." Semin Nephrol 5 (1985): 142-6
2. Brock C, Curry H, Hanna C, Knipfer M, Taylor L "Adverse effects of iron supplementation: a comparative trial of a wax- matrix iron preparation and conventional ferrous sulfate tablets." Clin Ther 7 (1985): 568-73
3. Pollycove M "Iron overload syndromes." Clin Physiol Biochem 4 (1986): 61-77
4. M'Seffar A, Fornasier VL, Fox IH "Arthropathy as the major clinical indicator of occult iron storage disease." JAMA 238 (1977): 1825-8
5. Bacon BR "Causes of iron overload." N Engl J Med 326 (1992): 126-7
6. Falk RJ, Mattern WD, Lamanna RW, Gitelman HJ, Parker NC, Cross RE, Rastall JR "Iron removal during continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis using deferoxamine." Kidney Int 24 (1983): 110-2
7. Surks MI, Sievert R "Drugs and thyroid function." N Engl J Med 333 (1995): 1688-94
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Stress Formula with Iron (multivitamin with iron)
- Stress Formula with Iron Side Effects
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- 0 Reviews
- Drug class: iron products