Seconal Sodium Side Effects
Generic Name: secobarbital
Note: This document contains side effect information about secobarbital. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Seconal Sodium.
For the Consumer
Applies to secobarbital: oral capsule
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
- New or worse behavior or mood changes like depression or thoughts of suicide.
- Feeling confused.
- Feeling agitated.
- Feeling nervous and excitable.
- Hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there).
- Memory problems or loss.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Feeling sleepy.
- Feeling sleepy the next day.
- Feeling tired or weak.
- Dry mouth.
- Upset stomach.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to secobarbital: injectable solution, oral capsule
Common (1% to 10%): Somnolence
Frequency not reported: Abnormal thinking, agitation, anxiety, confusion, dependence, excitement, hallucinations, insomnia, nervousness, nightmares, other complex behaviors, psychiatric disturbance, sleep driving[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Fever, tolerance, withdrawal symptoms[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Apnea, hypoventilation[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Exfoliative dermatitis, skin rashes[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Megaloblastic anemia[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Liver damage[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Injection site reactions[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Seconal Sodium (secobarbital)" Lilly, Eli and Company, Indianapolis, IN.
2. "Product Information. Seconal Sodium (secobarbital)." Marathon Pharmaceuticals, Deerfield, IL.
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Seconal Sodium (secobarbital)
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Images
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 5 Reviews
- Drug class: barbiturates
- FDA Alerts (1)
Other brands: Seconal