Plegridy Side Effects
Generic Name: peginterferon beta-1a
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 30, 2020.
Note: This document contains side effect information about peginterferon beta-1a. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Plegridy.
Common side effects of Plegridy include: arthralgia, asthenia, fever, flu-like symptoms, headache, myalgia, chills, erythema at injection site, pain at injection site, and swelling at injection site. Other side effects include: suicidal ideation, hyperthermia, increased serum alanine aminotransferase, pruritus, vomiting, decreased white blood cell count, depression, increased serum aspartate aminotransferase, and increased body temperature. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to peginterferon beta-1a: subcutaneous solution
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, peginterferon beta-1a (the active ingredient contained in Plegridy) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking peginterferon beta-1a:
- Blue-green to black skin discoloration
- extremely high fever or body temperature
- fast, shallow breathing
- fast, weak heartbeat
- general feeling of discomfort or illness
- joint pain
- muscle aches, cramps, and pains
- pale, clammy skin
- runny nose
- sore throat
- trouble sleeping
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- Dark urine
- decreased appetite
- general feeling of tiredness or weakness
- itching skin
- light-colored stools
- stomach or abdominal pain
- yellow eyes or skin
- Difficulty with swallowing
- hives or welts, skin rash
- large, hive-like swelling on the face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, or genitals
- puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue
- redness of the skin
- tightness in the chest
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of peginterferon beta-1a may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
- Difficulty with moving
- itching, rash, redness, soreness, swelling, or warmth at the injection site
- lack or loss of strength
- muscle stiffness
- pain, redness, or sloughing of skin at the injection site
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to peginterferon beta-1a: subcutaneous kit, subcutaneous solution
Frequency not reported: Decreased peripheral blood counts[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Alanine aminotransferase increased, aspartate aminotransferase increased, gamma-glutamyl-transferase increased
Frequency not reported: hepatic injury[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Influenza like illness (47%)
Very common (10% or more): Injection site erythema (62%), injection site pain (15%), injection site pruritus (13%)
Very common (10% or more): Myalgia (19%), arthralgia (11%)[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Headache (44%)
Very common (10% or more): Pyrexia (45%), chills (17%), asthenia (13%)
Common (1% to 10%): Hyperthermia, pain[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Plegridy (peginterferon beta-1a)." Biogen Idec Inc, Cambridge, MA.
Frequently asked questions
- What are the new drugs used for multiple sclerosis (MS)?
- What is Plegridy used for and is it an immunosuppressant?
- How do you use the Plegridy pen and where do you inject?
More about Plegridy (peginterferon beta-1a)
- During Pregnancy
- Dosage Information
- Patient Tips
- Drug Interactions
- Pricing & Coupons
- En Español
- 11 Reviews
- Drug class: interferons
- FDA Approval History
- Patient Information
- Plegridy (Advanced Reading)
- Plegridy Pen (Advanced Reading)
- Plegridy Pen Starter Pack (Advanced Reading)
- Plegridy Starter Pack (Advanced Reading)
Related treatment guides
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.