Dioctosoftez Side Effects
Generic Name: docusate
Note: This document contains side effect information about docusate. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Dioctosoftez.
For the Consumer
Applies to docusate: oral capsule, oral liquid, oral syrup, oral tablet
Other dosage forms:
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if any of these side effects or any other side effects bother you or do not go away:
- Stomach cramps.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088. You may also report side effects at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to docusate: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral liquid, oral syrup, oral tablet, rectal enema
Gastrointestinal side effects have included gastrointestinal cramping. Reports of bitter taste and throat irritation have been reported with administration of primarily the syrup and liquid formulations.[Ref]
Dermatologic side effects have included rash.[Ref]
Metabolic abnormalities reported include hypomagnesemia in one woman who took docusate chronically throughout her pregnancy. Magnesium levels returned to normal following discontinuation of docusate.[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Colace (docusate)." Roberts Pharmaceutical Corporation, Eatontown, NJ.
2. Schindler AM "Isolated neonatal hypomagnesaemia associated with maternal overuse of stool softener" Lancet 2 (1984): 822
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.
More about Dioctosoftez (docusate)
- Dioctosoftez Side Effects
- During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding
- Dosage Information
- Drug Interactions
- Support Group
- 0 Reviews
- Drug class: laxatives