Deutetrabenazine Side Effects
Commonly reported side effects of deutetrabenazine include: drowsiness. Other side effects include: depression, agitation, akathisia, fatigue, and restlessness. See below for a comprehensive list of adverse effects.
For the Consumer
Applies to deutetrabenazine: oral tablets
Depression and Suicidality in Patients with Huntington's Disease
- Deutetrabenazine increases the risk of depression and suicidal thoughts and behavior (suicidality) in patients with Huntington’s disease; balance this risk with clinical need for treatment of chorea.1
- Closely monitor patients for the emergence or worsening of depression, suicidality, or unusual changes in behavior.1
- Inform patients, caregivers, and families of risk of depression and suicidality and instruct them to promptly report any behaviors of concern to the treating clinician.1
- Exercise particular caution when treating patients with a history of depression or prior suicide attempts or ideation, which are increased in frequency in Huntington's disease.1
- Deutetrabenazine is contraindicated in patients with Huntington's disease who are suicidal or have untreated or inadequately treated depression.1 (See Depression and Suicidality in Patients with Huntington's Disease under Cautions.)
Side effects include:
Tardive dyskinesia: Nasopharyngitis, insomnia, somnolence, fatigue, depression/dysthymic disorder, anxiety, diarrhea, dry mouth, akathisia/agitation/restlessness.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to deutetrabenazine: oral tablet
The most common adverse reactions occurring in greater than 8% were somnolence, diarrhea, dry mouth, and fatigue.[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Sedation/somnolence (11%)
Common (1% to 10%): Contusion[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Diarrhea, dry mouth, constipation[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Urinary tract infection[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Fatigue[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Insomnia, anxiety, depression, suicidal ideation, akathisia/agitation/restlessness[Ref]
Frequently asked questions
More about deutetrabenazine
- Drug interactions
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Reviews (5)
- En español
- Drug class: VMAT2 inhibitors
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Austedo (deutetrabenazine)." Teva Pharmaceuticals USA (2017):
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.