Desirudin Side Effects
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 15, 2022.
Applies to desirudin: parenteral powder for injection.
Spinal/Epidural Hematoma Risk
- Risk of epidural or spinal hematomas and neurologic injury, including long-term or permanent paralysis, associated with concurrent use of selective thrombin inhibitors and neuraxial (spinal/epidural) anesthesia or spinal puncture.1
- Risk increased by use of indwelling epidural catheters for administration of analgesia or by concomitant use of drugs affecting hemostasis (e.g., NSAIAs, platelet aggregation inhibitors, other anticoagulants).1
- Risk also increased by traumatic or repeated epidural or spinal puncture.1
- Monitor frequently for signs and symptoms of neurologic impairment and treat urgently if neurologic compromise noted.1
- Consider potential benefits versus risks of spinal or epidural anesthesia or spinal puncture in patients receiving or being considered for thromboprophylaxis with anticoagulants. 1 (See Hemorrhagic Effects and also see Neurologic Effects under Cautions.)
Side effects include:
Hemorrhage, including hematoma, was most common adverse effect in clinical studies in patients undergoing elective total hip-replacement surgery.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to desirudin: subcutaneous powder for injection.
The most common adverse reaction was hemorrhage.[Ref]
Very common (10% or more): Any hemorrhage (30%)
Common (1% to 10%): Serious hemorrhage, deep vein thrombosis
Uncommon (0.1% to 1%): Major hemorrhage
Frequency not reported: Thrombosis, hypotension
Postmarketing reports: Fatal hemorrhage[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Wound secretion
Common (1% to 10%): Nausea
Common (1% to 10%): Anemia
Frequency not reported: Hemoglobin decreased[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Irritative skin reactions[Ref]
Common (1% to 10%): Injection site mass[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Allergic reaction, anti-hirudin antibodies
Postmarketing reports: Anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reaction[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Epistaxis[Ref]
More about desirudin
- Check interactions
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: thrombin inhibitors
- En español
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Ipravask (desirudin)." Aventis Pharmaceuticals (2003):
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.